.. and the award for Worst MMO Business Model in 2016 goes to ...

MeNaCe-NZ

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of sad, especially how swtor is ahead by miles. The other games don't even have a 100 votes. I'm sure this thread will get deleted or locked. Not that the results will make a difference in the current model though.

Afaik it breaks no rules so not sure why that would happen. This is the sort of thing they should be taking notice of and realize it's not really a vocal minority that are really unhappy with the direction this game is going in but a true majority and even possibly people outside of the game looking in to how it's managed can realize how bad things are getting.

They are right... Their F2P model is one of, if not the, most restrictive of all of them.... At least of the big games anyways...

ESO, the only real restriction is 10% less XP gain and a crafting bag... big whoop

STO, their only annoying restriction is the cap, which you can buy out of. Otherwise you can do everything a sub can do (shoot most of the PWE games are like this)

LOTRO, hell you can earn your points to buy stuff in game, but your gonna grind for it. You may have to buy the content, but only once.

SWTOR, minimal hotbars, no access to all content, no access to end game, reduced XP, content limits (PvP), credit caps, etc... The only annoying thing here you can buy out of is quickslots... Everything else is either sub or piss off...

Afaik it breaks no rules so not sure why that would happen. This is the sort of thing they should be taking notice of and realize it's not really a vocal minority that are really unhappy with the direction this game is going in but a true majority and even possibly people outside of the game looking in to how it's managed can realize how bad things are getting.

It's not about it breaking any rules in place, but it's kind of a defamation and an embarrassment. why would you want this on your forums of your own game?

Not that players being unhappy with the current business model is unhead of, but things like this make it seem worse.

it'll get even more attention and more votes this way.

Not that I particulary care, I really don't. But if this was my game, I wouldn't want something from an external website on my forums that makes me look bad or worse.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

They are right... Their F2P model is one of, if not the, most restrictive of all of them.... At least of the big games anyways...

ESO, the only real restriction is 10% less XP gain and a crafting bag... big whoop

STO, their only annoying restriction is the cap, which you can buy out of. Otherwise you can do everything a sub can do (shoot most of the PWE games are like this)

LOTRO, hell you can earn your points to buy stuff in game, but your gonna grind for it. You may have to buy the content, but only once.

SWTOR, minimal hotbars, no access to all content, no access to end game, reduced XP, content limits (PvP), credit caps, etc... The only annoying thing here you can buy out of is quickslots... Everything else is either sub or piss off...

ESO's B2p version is a bit more than just 10% xp and a crafting bag, without a sub you won't have access to all the dlcs if you did not buy them from the cash shop, they give you access to every DLC so you don't have to buy it from the cash shop if your subbing. Also btw the crafting bag is worth it just for the 15$ ontop of the 1500 crowns they give you per month + all content in game (Infinite storage for crafting materials)

Those 1500 crowns they give you per month already cost 15$ by itself, so its worth it just to sub to play the game tbh, so you not only get crowns to buy store stuff but the unlimited crafting bag as well, and 10% xp towards everything. I believe ESO's sub is probably the best system out there right now tbh.

Edited by Theeko

ESO's B2p version is a bit more than just 10% xp and a crafting bag, without a sub you won't have access to all the dlcs if you did not buy them from the cash shop, they give you access to every DLC so you don't have to buy it from the cash shop if your subbing. Also btw the crafting bag is worth it just for the 15$ ontop of the 1500 crowns they give you per month + all content in game (Infinite storage for crafting materials)

Yes but once you buy the DLC, it's yours... No need to buy it again. If you bought it for instance during the free week a few weeks ago, you could have gotten it all for about $30 (if you got the gold edition). Buy to play never bothered me that much really...

Yes but once you buy the DLC, it's yours... No need to buy it again. If you bought it for instance during the free week a few weeks ago, you could have gotten it all for about $30 (if you got the gold edition). Buy to play never bothered me that much really...

True it was on sale on steam but whoever had the original ESO copy from there website could not get the steam value unless they bought the entire game again on a whole new different account as well.

It's not about it breaking any rules in place, but it's kind of a defamation and an embarrassment. why would you want this on your forums of your own game?

Not that players being unhappy with the current business model is unhead of, but things like this make it seem worse.

it'll get even more attention and more votes this way.

Not that I particulary care, I really don't. But if this was my game, I wouldn't want something from an external website on my forums that makes me look bad or worse.:rak_03:

Yeah that sort of moderation often doesn't end well. Once you start applying a "media blackout" for anything that isn't good news then customers start to lose even more faith in your company.

The best thing they could do is actually address the link and state they are aware of the mistakes they have made and possibly outline what they're doing to make it better and not earn this dubious honor again.

It won't happen of course but still, not a bad idea.

Nah, they'll just move it to off-topic where threads go to die.

Hope not or they'd ideally have to do the same with every other thread in general that paints the game in a bad light which lately is probably over half of them. :p

Anyway it's a general topic about this game in particular so not even sure what grounds there would be to move it.

Sad but true.

I keep coming back hoping someone inside Bioware will give the pitch to end all pitches within EA, and secure enough funding to build out a full expansion filled with content for all play styles while removing some of their more egregious restrictions and disingenuous business practices.

But alas, I return and am quickly disappointed, finding the only new stuff to be garbage like the GC system, even more restrictions to drive away F2P, and no new content beyond some enjoyable stories with very limited replay value.

Hope not or they'd ideally have to do the same with every other thread in general that paints the game in a bad light which lately is probably over half of them. :p

99% qualifies as over half :D

Anyway it's a general topic about this game in particular so not even sure what grounds there would be to move it.

They move a lot of game related stuff to the off topic section. Makes me wonder what the "topic" is as they see it.

Of course the SWTOR free to play model is bad, it's not a free to play game. Also Pokemon Go is not a MMORPG, unless they completely revamped the game from the time that I played it back in the summer to now, it's not even close to anything resembling a MMORPG, so putting Pokemon Go in that category, shows these guys are clueless and their opinions are meaningless.

SWTOR has always been a sub or don't bother game, the FTP model is just there, I will never play this game ftp because it's not designed that way. Complaining about something that was thrown together for ***** and giggles and tossed out to the public is lawl.

It's kind of sad, especially how swtor is ahead by miles. The other games don't even have a 100 votes. I'm sure this thread will get deleted or locked. Not that the results will make a difference in the current model though.

Well to be fair when ever they choose a winner then the public will vote that.

Back on the topic swtor has never had a good free to play game it was more than a trail if anything. They decide to be a sub game only really

Edited by commanderwar

It's strange they seem to solely pick on the F2P model and not actually discuss some of the 2016 issues.

I mean there are some real shockers when you drill into it ...

Episodic chapters - Whilst I liked them because I could sub once at the end and get it all for $15 they were a bad business model for this exact reason. MMO's want people to sub so that's why I believe that model was quickly scrapped.

Removing F2P/Preferred entirely from the end game content and not even offering the option of passes. It is giving subs less people to do content with and when you give a bunch of people who are dissatisfied with the game to a degree they don't want to pay for it the option of "sub or quit" most will take the quit option. Very poor move this one.

GC - honestly I don't need to go into this, it's obvious.

I also think wasted development on things like EC and now uprisings which offer little to no long term incentive to keep doing them is a bad move - it's what fresh content we did get outside of story isn't anywhere enough to keep the game ticking along comfortably for end game players who aren't rinsed out on the old end game content.

Those for me would be the biggest factors for 2016 "bad business model" - just picking on F2P as they seem to do is silly as it's always been that way ( just worse now per the above ).

I'm sure that happens, but I don't believe those are the majority of the votes. The business model isn't exactly great. F2P->Pref and subbed.

Actually they pretty decide what get the majority happens almost all of the time if not aways. That why I never understood why with them not let the public vote before that actual announcement rather than after swaying the votes.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-best-mmo-business-model-2016/ If you notice on who got the best business model gw2 won and got 1000 votes while wow got 91 I can tell you those number would of never been like that if they did it before the actual announcement.

Edited by commanderwar

Given all the mistakes bw has made, the push to the real money cash shop, no decent end game and now the creation of GC and RNG gearing with a just announced convoluted system to try to entice gamers back into GC while still alienating old and new players as well as making sure no F2P or preferred gamers can get into end game without a sub.

It's no wonder swtor is currently ahead as the worst. The kicker is some of the other options are terrible as well but bw strives to be the very worst.

From that page, this staff member has it right:

It frustrates me so much because the game always seems so close to greatness but for the business model issues

It's also almost up to 1000 votes. Wonder what that guy who swears only 20 ppl dislike the expansion has to say about that.

Edited by Rollbacks