Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Georges post was not on page 123 about 2 hours ago maybe 3. I had been reading from 125 on and back tracked 5 pages to be sure I was in touch with what was going on. In fact 122 and 123 had loading errors on my phone but no other pages did.

This was definitely a back fill in post.

Also thank yoda a response , I don't care how it came about nice job they know !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Georges post was not on page 123 about 2 hours ago maybe 3. I had been reading from 125 on and back tracked 5 pages to be sure I was in touch with what was going on. In fact 122 and 123 had loading errors on my phone but no other pages did.

Also thank yoda a response , I don't care how it came about nice job they know !

Agree with the back fill!

Thanks for confirming, it would be Impossible for Tinkersw or me to miss a post...

As if the devs would need to put in a post at a random position somewhere back in this thread which produces 10 pages per hour in peak times.

Why in all the world would Georg have done this?

edit: On the other hand, why the hell are there no quotes or responses for at least 10 pages?

I stand by my statement that I could not imagine a reason for them to do this, but someone would think that the thread would be wild about the response....

Edited by Hiramas

This issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.

Yeah, just quoting this again so others will see it. (Top of page 123 as of right now, unless Bioware sneaks in more junk)

Edited by Arkimor

As if the devs would need to put in a post at a random position somewhere back in this thread which produces 10 pages per hour in peak times.

Why in all the world would Georg have done this?

edit: On the other hand, why the hell are there no quotes or responses for at least 10 pages?

I stand by my statement that I could not imagine a reason for them to do this, but someone would think that the thread would be wild about the response....

I remember reading some of those posts around it specifically and never remember reading that dev post. It's a different color even for crying out loud.

BUT regardless of when it was really posted or why, at least we got a response. Thank you for that response Georg!

Yeah, just quoting this again so others will see it. (Top of page 123 as of right now, unless Bioware sneaks in more junk)

I even went back, to check, in case someone is kidding us, but Georg is real! At Bioware since 2003. I am so happy right now, since I hope to play my Jedi for a long long time in this beautiful and... responsive game!

Thanks again to Xcore for his fine work and the rest of the contributors. I check out and will only read the first page for newer infos... in a few of days :p

But we ARE the money.....

They may have made their money back on release from product sales but they aren't after spending 7 years on their project to just break even or a little over the top they are about increasing that dev budget amount 10 fold to fuel other things.

So they need us and need to keep us happy.

Has probably been mentioned a hundred times but I haven't got the time to read the full thread (as good as it must be):

Perfect example of cast bar glitch:

Call your speeder/hover bike and start running right after the cast bar is full (and gone).

Right, action cancelled......

Other than that let me just add that I noticed TOR's unresponsiveness the 1st moment I played the game and also see it as a GAME-BREAKING feature!

Arc out.

EDIT:

Just played around with it a bit and sometimes you can even see the speeder animation and then it still gets cancelled! If I were to time it, it's very likely at least a 0.5 sec delay.

Edited by Arconon

I remember reading some of those posts around it specifically and never remember reading that dev post. It's a different color even for crying out loud.

BUT regardless of when it was really posted or why, at least we got a response. Thank you for that response Georg!

Yes I am trippin on this^^^:p

Well done Xcore!;)

Congratulations to...

Xcore and so many other intelligent people helping to make

this game better. So many of you explaining the problem

and gettng the attention of Georg. Crossing fingers we can

truly see a better game soon! Its all in your hands Bioware!:eek:

Yes I am trippin on this^^^:p

Well done Xcore!;)

Congratulations to...

Xcore and so many other intelligent people helping to make

this game better. So many of you explaining the problem

and gettng the attention of Georg. Crossing fingers we can

truly see a better game soon! Its all in your hands Bioware!:eek:

Lol post like this are very comforting.

Just did some more testing regarding responsiveness.

Made a clip showing my Priest in wow, and a clip of my Sith doing the same move.

It feels like swtor is like me, a little bit slower than the rest of the world (of warcraft). :)

PS. Addons might not be such a bad idea? Quartz with latencytimer. Love that addon.

Edited by badchx

Idiots, morons and fools defend these issues and drown out genuinely useful and constructive criticism that can only help the game - such is the way of the internet. These clowns essentially cloud the issue and effectively assist in ensuring that the games they are playing are not as good as they can be. Generally good community managers will filter out this buffoonery from the devs but occasionally even they can be overwhelmed by the silliness.

Its not about being like WOW, its about being good and fun - being playable with no strings attached - no annoyance. This is the way games are meant to be. I am not saying that everything must be the same and one shouldn't learn new systems and ways of playing, but however way the system works, its essential that its smooth, functional and responsive. Its more important than anything else. I've said it repeatedly but its the issue that destroyed the recent challengers to wow - a slow creeping death for each of them as Blizzard build houses made of gold for their programmers due to their attention to important details.

SWTOR has it wrong aswell at present, and I'm not going to criticise them for keeping quiet about it at present. The statement they make over this could have huge commercial consequences - for example, should they say "This is going to take months to fix". It could torpedo the game - and will at best cause people not to part with their cash. Should they say "Working as intended" they will also pay a price.

I suspect they are banging heads together and saying "Is there any way we can fix this in a reasonable time frame?" and if the answer is no, they are wondering how to cope with that scenario. Patience is required, but it should not need be stressed that lots of people will run out of free time in a couple of weeks. That is the crucial period.

i realize that this is likely 60 or so pages past when this post was made, but THIS is an excellent, important point that folk MUST keep in mind -- we gamers, and the developers, and the money-crunchers who COULD have a cash cow if they handle this correctly.

lol why did that dev sneak that in like 20 pages behind the last of the posts?

No idea :) At least it shows in the Dev tracker, so it's pretty conveniently visible to all ^^

Just posting to express my happiness for developers taking an interest on this issue, as it is very close to my heart as well. No matter how much I am enjoying the voice acted quests, I wouldn't keep playing this game after a few months if the characters would continue to ignore my commands at times. I'm pretty hardcore into mouse and keyboard playing and control is everything to me. Can't even play games on consoles when I'm not drinking..

The original poster is correct, though.

All animations should finish animating slightly before the time the global cooldown has finished, with the exception of channeled powers.

If there is an animation lockout, then there is a problem with how the game "feels" when it plays.

It's bad enough during periods of high latency, where you can mash buttons rapidly and not get a response back from the server; to have it built into the client is not acceptable.

Targeting issues are another thing that contributes to the feel of character responsiveness being poor, but I've yet to figure out an approach to fix it.

I've also experience this recently. At earlier levels I didn't notice or mind it at much. But then I started doing Flashpoints and PVPing. It was horrible for healers. From what I saw, not only did my character have delays but the Medical probe as well! But I think that might have been just a Latency Issue (the medical probe).

Just as an aside:

LotRO, also a promising project once, also had this issue from the beginning:

long-winded combat animations and no direct control over your character.

It was a game where you watched your character doing sth. rather than actually doing sth.

Turbine realized that this was a core problem and changed it, made "instant" abilities truly instant or "immediate" as they then phrased it.

These immediate skills/abilities interrupt every on-going animation and acts out the ability at the BEGINNING of its animation.

Combat felt much smoother, directer than before but still nothing like WoW, which is really a shame since both LotRO and TOR have much more potential story-wise than WoW but nothing beats WoW's gameplay smoothness/direct responsiveness at the moment (at least nothing I have played and I play A LOT). :(

Coming from someone that canncelled WoW and doesn't want to go back to a world of Pandas (even though Chuck Norris almost had me going back ;).

The original poster is correct, though.

All animations should finish animating slightly before the time the global cooldown has finished, with the exception of channeled powers.

If there is an animation lockout, then there is a problem with how the game "feels" when it plays.

It's bad enough during periods of high latency, where you can mash buttons rapidly and not get a response back from the server; to have it built into the client is not acceptable.

Targeting issues are another thing that contributes to the feel of character responsiveness being poor, but I've yet to figure out an approach to fix it.

You're absolutely right, Targeting is a very important issue as well... it is very "unresponsive". However, it does not have anything (I don't believe) to do with the Character/Avatar Responsiveness and I believe this is far more important currently.

Things like Targeting and Camera come second imo.