My opinion on how to post proper feedback...positive or negative

LordArtemis

Now, this is just my opinion, so take that as you may. Completely ignore it if you wish.

First, lets cover positive feedback.

Positive feedback, though likely appreciated by the dev team is the least productive of the two types of feedback you could provide. It does provide some insight into what players LIKE, and that is helpful.

Here is an example of good positive feedback

I really love the expansion, the storyline is engaging, looks like the balance in battles is just about right, and I really like the vehicular combat.

Now, an example of what I call bad positive feedback

This expansion is great, ignore all the naysayers Bioware. All they do all day is whine and cry, claim folks are leaving the game in droves or the game is going to shut down, yet the servers seem to be full and the que pops all day.

Any positive feedback that is qualified by deriding those that do not agree is not proper feedback IMO, it is propaganda posted to counter negativity, nothing more.

Now on to negative feedback.

Here is an example of what I would consider good negative feedback. Note that feedback can be BRUTAL and still good IMO.

I'm not sure I understand what you guys were thinking here. I think the change to spawn rates was poorly though out and implemented. All you have done, IMO, is created a haven for gold farmers while hurting the very players that support this game. I would suggest you AT LEAST return spawn rates to normal and limit rewards instead.

And an example of bad negative feedback...

What the hell Bioware?!? Have you lost your minds? All you do is screw players over and over and over again, all you guys are pathetic. You don't care one bit for your players. A monkey could do a better job at this then you. Thats it, I'm quitting this pile of crap, I cant take the ineptitude any longer.

Note that in the good examples of both, the player talked about the focus of the feedback, perhaps made suggestions, and kept the comments civil and constructive. In the bad example emotion ruled the day in both comments, and they offered little in the way of actual feedback.

Thanks for your time, you can certainly ignore the recommendations if you wish, but you may find Bioware more receptive if feedback is properly presented.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually all four of those can be considered poor examples of poor feedback. It's fairly well known we have folks here with vision problems (and at least one member of staff) and use of color on a black-ish background is an issue for some of us.

Especially the red.

It's been mentioned to staff previously with no response.

I realize you;re using the color to separate the examples out but using the quote function may have also been something to consider.

It's moot though. The "I:m a sub and I'll do whatever I want to here on the forums!" is pretty much the mindset of many posters here.

Edited by dr_mike

positive feedback may win hearts and minds, but eventually the negativity will creep in and need to be beaten back, the only way to beat it successful is to confront it instead of running from it. you don't win boxing matches by talking your opponent to death with insults, you use your fists and take a few hits to lower your opponents guard to knock them out. risk vs reward.

can't have one without the other.

Edited by Celise

Actually all four of those can be considered poor examples of poor feedback. It's fairly well known we have folks here with vision problems (and at least one member of staff) and use of color on a black-ish background is an issue for some of us.

Especially the red.

It's been mentioned to staff previously with no response.

I realize you;re using the color to separate the examples out but using the quote function may have also been something to consider.

It's moot though. The "I:m a sub and I'll do whatever I want to here on the forums!" is pretty much the mindset of many posters here.

I think I agree, the red is a bit rough. Changed the colors to be a bit subdued.

So would this upcoming feedback fall into the red??

This is a pretty pathetic thread. Pretty sure nobody here is going to read a word of that and be like oh wow such insight, you come across based on this thread and your 'suggested' threads as someone who like to hear themselves talk and thinks they are better than everyone else.

So would this upcoming feedback fall into the red??

This is a pretty pathetic thread. Pretty sure nobody here is going to read a word of that and be like oh wow such insight, you come across based on this thread and your 'suggested' threads as someone who like to hear themselves talk and thinks they are better than everyone else.

Fair enough. :D

Glass houses Furh.....glass houses lol.

Edited by LordArtemis

Agreed.

There is a right way and wrong way to post feedback where they will read it and listen instead of tuning in out. My mom always told me you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

I also know that in the past I tended to write without thinking, just going on my emotions. A friend recently told me that is not going to help. She cautioned me if you are upset about something wait until you can write reasonably before you post.

Not saying I will always do that but I am going to try.

Edited by casirabit

No disagreement.

Didn't you do one of these last year too? I seem to recall someone did and I thought it was you. :)

If you did... unfortunately it did not take with the forum membership. :eek:

Yea, It might be a losing battle, but I will continue to try nonetheless. :)

Now, this is just my opinion, so take that as you may. Completely ignore it if you wish.

First, lets cover positive feedback.

Positive feedback, though likely appreciated by the dev team is the least productive of the two types of feedback you could provide. It does provide some insight into what players LIKE, and that is helpful.

Here is an example of good positive feedback

I really love the expansion, the storyline is engaging, looks like the balance in battles is just about right, and I really like the vehicular combat.

Now, an example of what I call bad positive feedback

This expansion is great, ignore all the naysayers Bioware. All they do all day is whine and cry, claim folks are leaving the game in droves or the game is going to shut down, yet the servers seem to be full and the que pops all day.

Any positive feedback that is qualified by deriding those that do not agree is not proper feedback IMO, it is propaganda posted to counter negativity, nothing more.

Now on to negative feedback.

Here is an example of what I would consider good negative feedback. Note that feedback can be BRUTAL and still good IMO.

I'm not sure I understand what you guys were thinking here. I think the change to spawn rates was poorly though out and implemented. All you have done, IMO, is created a haven for gold farmers while hurting the very players that support this game. I would suggest you AT LEAST return spawn rates to normal and limit rewards instead.

And an example of bad negative feedback...

What the hell Bioware?!? Have you lost your minds? All you do is screw players over and over and over again, all you guys are pathetic. You don't care one bit for your players. A monkey could do a better job at this then you. Thats it, I'm quitting this pile of crap, I cant take the ineptitude any longer.

Note that in the good examples of both, the player talked about the focus of the feedback, perhaps made suggestions, and kept the comments civil and constructive. In the bad example emotion ruled the day in both comments, and they offered little in the way of actual feedback.

Thanks for your time, you can certainly ignore the recommendations if you wish, but you may find Bioware more receptive if feedback is properly presented.

They still don't listen to the proper way to express negative feed back, this has been proven over the years. It's not until a subject is basically viral on the forums with so many threads, that they can't ignore it any longer.

But they nearly respond to positive feed back in what ever form you give them.

There are a god number of regular forum posters that have posted prise for what has been done, and been critical of decisions made. They also posted a lot of suggestions for direction of travel tweaks, balances and other feedback.

It is almost universally ignored.

- Try to find the last dev post in the GSF forum for instance - its from at least 2 years ago - a thought about balancing - for which player feedback was sought, but nothing happened after that. No second post, thanks, counter arguments or anything. - PvP was the same for a long while - Strongholds....same.

If you read the dev tracker, most of the posts are servers offline, servers back on, path notes released and a lot of the usual admin stuff. - The lack of community interaction alone speaks volumes.

So congratulate them or slag them off, it doesn't make a lick of difference. People come here to praise or vent or make suggestions, and get feedback from other players. Getting BW to comment is a rare an wondrous thing.

yo boys i think u just hijacked a thread with ur flirting >.> :D:D:D:D:D

Flirting? No no he is just being a weird, creepy stalker. He didn't like getting called out on his lying and crying yesterday so now he is all worked up.

lol no one's hating, but it was such an educational thread though >.> i really liked the OP...... not that i ever remember being that polite in my forum PvP :D:D:D

Well I'm not too attached to this thread to me the OP came across as very condescending and wants to act like everyone's mom. The swtor forums are well known to be one of the worst cesspools in all of mmo forums not a chance her/his little speech will help when it full of poster like Customstalker.

Edited by Furh

lol no one's hating, but it was such an educational thread though >.> i really liked the OP...... not that i ever remember being that polite in my forum PvP :D:D:D

Lmao :p your probably right it was a solid thread until me and my boy side tracked it. Sorry Anna (I'll just call you Anna via your sages name in sig) but ya we should be taking our talk to the lockerroom!

You are priceless and one of a kind ;)

Have a good day Anna! :cool:

Flirting? No no he is just being a weird, creepy stalker. He didn't like getting called out on his lying and crying yesterday so now he is all worked up.

Alright man I gotta run for the day but I'll do my best to stop by the zoo after work and catch up with you!

Until than my main man:cool:

Lmao :p your probably right it was a solid thread until me and my boy side tracked it. Sorry Anna (I'll just call you Anna via your sages name in sig) but ya we should be taking our talk to the lockerroom!

You are priceless and one of a kind ;)

Have a good day Anna! :cool:

ahhh damn now i need to find something else to laugh at :(:(:D:D good day to u too =) and if this is taken to the locker room... well..... don't mind if i take a peep :p lmao:p:p

positive feedback may win hearts and minds, but eventually the negativity will creep in and need to be beaten back, the only way to beat it successful is to confront it instead of running from it. you don't win boxing matches by talking your opponent to death with insults, you use your fists and take a few hits to lower your opponents guard to knock them out. risk vs reward.

can't have one without the other.

Spoken like a true forum warrior :D

Well I'm not too attached to this thread to me the OP came across as very condescending and wants to act like everyone's mom. The swtor forums are well known to be one of the worst cesspools in all of mmo forums not a chance her/his little speech will help when it full of poster like Customstalker.

well, u might have a point there. but i'm sure even our beloved BioWare with their nerves of steel :D:D gets discouraged after reading threads of people yapping at each other and even more at them for 50+ pages in a single thread all cause of their damn nasty RNJezuz :D:D

well, u might have a point there. but i'm sure even our beloved BioWare with their nerves of steel :D:D gets discouraged after reading threads of people yapping at each other and even more at them for 50+ pages in a single thread all cause of their damn nasty RNJezuz :D:D

The best part is these same people who were screaming at the top of their lungs about not getting a single piece because of RNG somehow had SIX PIECES removed during "rollbacks" on a server they don't even play on. I'm not joking I had a field day calling these people out yesterday, custom was one of them that's why he is so worked up this morning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.