Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

CXP Booster are a scam

Otaktey

I feel truth in these words and they hurt. :( On the other hand, now I feel more driven to see just how many levels it takes me to get a full set, so thank you for that. :D

Hey more power to you. Tell us once your luck allows you to complete a set.

Then we can talk about doing this for 10 or 20 alts. Those'll be your next challenges after this one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.

But after opening a number of command crates i can say it's not just Pay to Win though, it's Pay to Loose too ;)

True that. rank 28 and i no set items at all. I wont buy those boosts because i will quit the game before i even reach tier 2 rewards.

Edited by Divona

I do but you obviously don't. The only things you need BIS for is NIM raiding and conquering the PvP ranks. Both of which are optional challenges, not mandatory.

By that logic, everything in the game is optional. I'm pretty sure there is no one single thing that MUST be done aside from actually creating a character.

By that logic, everything in the game is optional. I'm pretty sure there is no one single thing that MUST be done aside from actually creating a character.

Oh I completely agree. The minute difference being that other long line of various challenges doesn't require BIS to survive longer than two minutes.

Then I suggest you go challenge yourself to mow more lawns so you can afford the booster to get the gear for the activities that are such an integral part of your gameplay experience. More drive, less cruise control.

This reaction is exactly why I posted this. If your not happy with your situation, work harder and spend more money on it. In trying to defend BW and the RNG gearing system, you just clarified why I've declared this as a SCAM, in your own words.

By your pathetic logic, every boost in CM is a scam. It's optional and no one is forcing you to buy these. You can do just fine without it. Stop acting like a special snowflake.

What's next? You gonna tell me that deco's are ascam because ppl made billions of it.

Decorations don't give people better gear with higher stats and set bonuses. Nor do XP boosts, Valor boosts, or any other booster item you can get from CM packs.

CXP boosters are a way to buy more Command crates faster, which gives you better gear with higher stats and set bonuses. You are literally comparing apples to oranges here. Paying real world money to get an advantage over other players in game--as opposed to decorative fluff like pretty clothes for your toon or rare mounts--is a pay to win system. What makes this pay to win system a scam is 1) the RNG nature of the crates, and 2) the fact they keep nerfing CXP gains for normal play in order to try to coerce people into buying CXP boosts.

Edited by AscendingSky

Most MMO publishers (there are some noble exceptions) have been pulling this sort of scam for years now - pacing progression in such a way that customers are tempted to purchase a shortcut. It's hardly new.

So on that basis why on earth are so many here on this thread wailing & crying "oh woe is me" at the horror that Bioware & EA are doing the same? Either accept the game, warts and all or just give up, leave and go and play something where the "Store" doesn't feature in core gameplay. Simples when you think about it.

Most MMO publishers (there are some noble exceptions) have been pulling this sort of scam for years now - pacing progression in such a way that customers are tempted to purchase a shortcut. It's hardly new.

So on that basis why on earth are so many here on this thread wailing & crying "oh woe is me" at the horror that Bioware & EA are doing the same? Either accept the game, warts and all or just give up, leave and go and play something where the "Store" doesn't feature in core gameplay. Simples when you think about it.

In essence you're correct. There's just this slight issue of people wanting to have a game without the Store™ on it of a particular IP. I mean, I personally learned to stay away from anything that has Perfect World written over it. It kinda hurts cause I loved playing Neverwinter Nights and was looking forward to playing the MMO of Neverwinter. Then PW took over and never played it.

I really enjoyed SWTOR for years and it may be idle hope but after so many years, it doesn't seem so strange to utter my grievances to the point that maybe someone at BWA thinks they may have made a mistake here. I'm not expecting it but I'll give it my best till my sub has run out or I give up on the idea before that. Besides after years of investment into a game like this, one generally doesn't just simply walk away without a sound.

Don't worry it will be over in a few weeks. Of course, then there will probably be the next wave after the livestream disappoints the crap out of the next group of players that's still here hanging by a thread.

It's the general forum after all.

Hey, if you're happy to have a bunch of people leave... CONGRATULATIONS! You win!

Nobody else wins.

Dude, I've paid for four accounts since we left LOTRO for a very similar reason. I've paid $2160 over the last three years in Subs for myself, wife and two boys. Not to mention the cartel coins I've bought. I won't include the time I've spent on this game, because I had fun the whole time. I have the well geared toons, for both PVP and OPS, to show for it. So I have quite an investment into this game and wasn't planning on starting all over again in another game, as I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 when I saw the movie at the theaters. I am not interested in doing this scam they have created, and have already bought 6 months of WOW, which I don't like the theme as much as SWTOR. So I'm very disappointed in Bioware and the Devs for this change to the game. I know I can leave, and it looks like that is where I'm heading, is out this door. If they put the OPS vendors back on the fleet, and let the OPS bosses drop their normal unassembled pieces, then I'll be back in a heartbeat. But for now, I'm sad and disappointed! :mad:

This is pay to win.

After getting to command rank 57, each new rank of command takes 10 more cp than the last. (3530 for 57, 3540 for 58) After rank 298, there is no increase.

Tier 3 gear command crates begin at rank 180.

Tier three gear will be received first by people who use command boosts. People using boosts will have 25% more command crates than people who don't.

You're either using command boosts or you're not.

Command boosts are gated by the cartel market. They only appear in the game when someone has spent CC on them.

Right now, we're at the bottom of the cost curve when it comes to getting command ranks. So it actually seems more reasonable then it really is. Boosts aren't really necessary now. When you hit rank 35 or 40, and things have slowed to a crawl, that 25% is going to be huge. Keep in mind MMOs are multiplayer, competitive games.

This is literally pay to win. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a troll or doesn't have the perspective to see what's going to happen in a couple of weeks.

This is pay to win.

After getting to command rank 57, each new rank of command takes 10 more cp than the last. (3530 for 57, 3540 for 58) After rank 298, there is no increase.

Tier 3 gear command crates begin at rank 180.

Tier three gear will be received first by people who use command boosts. People using boosts will have 25% more command crates than people who don't.

You're either using command boosts or you're not.

Command boosts are gated by the cartel market. They only appear in the game when someone has spent CC on them.

Right now, we're at the bottom of the cost curve when it comes to getting command ranks. So it actually seems more reasonable then it really is. Boosts aren't really necessary now. When you hit rank 35 or 40, and things have slowed to a crawl, that 25% is going to be huge. Keep in mind MMOs are multiplayer, competitive games.

This is literally pay to win. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a troll or doesn't have the perspective to see what's going to happen in a couple of weeks.

No, they won't get 25% more crates. They will just get their crates 25% faster.

The only people who have any reasonable case to complain about this are people who do Ranked PvP. But, even so, I don't think it's a big deal. It's a luxury, for sure, but not P2W.

The only people who have any reasonable case to complain about this are people who do Ranked PvP. But, even so, I don't think it's a big deal. It's a luxury, for sure, but not P2W.

You're not good at math are you?

I've proven that after command rank 57, the costs are the same for crates. There is literally less than a .3% difference in cost between rank 57 and 58. Not 3%. Not 30%. POINT 3 percent. It's nothing. It's effectively the same cost.

Same cost means, that if someone gets 100 points, and someone else using a booster gets 125 points then you literally got 25% more crates. If the crates "cost" 25, then the booster got you 5 instead of 4 crates.

Pretty simple huh? Shame you couldn't understand that the first time around.

Agreed. It's available to all subscribers.

This is no more, or less, a "scam" then any other booster or pass sold on the CM over the last 4 years. And definitely not Pay-2-Win, as like other boosters.. you don't win anything.. you simply streamline your in game play by a small amount.

Nor is it really a "scam". I get that it's convenient for the negative narratives around here. If they tricked you into buying them, then it would be a scam. There is no trick or treachery here. Nor is there any clear sign yet if they will also get put into loot tables and drop in game either (we simply do not know yet on this part).

Nor is this booster particularly effective at 25% boost, until perhaps you are well above level 100 GC. Even then, unless you are perpetually grinding for Cxp.. which IMO is a mistake many players are making right now.. it's of little value due to the short life of 3 hours.

It's simple folks.. rather then use these as an excuse to just get more worked up about current issues with GC and Cxp..... just don't use them. Period. If nobody uses them.. they will discount them severely or just remove them.

But I think most of us know that Cxp grinders ARE going to gobble these up.. so it's your own fault if they prove popular and successful.

Edited by Andryah

This is no more, or less, a "scam" then any other booster or pass sold on the CM over the last 4 years. And definitely not Pay-2-Win, as like other boosters.. you don't win anything.. you simply streamline your in game play by a small amount.

Nor is it really a "scam". I get that it's convenient for the negative narratives around here. If they tricked you into buying them, then it would be a scam. There is no trick or treachery here. Nor is there any clear sign yet if they will also get put into loot tables and drop in game either (we simply do not know yet on this part).

Nor is this booster particularly effective at 25% boost, until perhaps you are well above level 100 GC. Even then, unless you are perpetually grinding for Cxp.. which IMO is a mistake many players are making right now.. it's of little value due to the short life of 3 hours.

It's simple folks.. rather then use these as an excuse to just get more worked up about current issues with GC and Cxp..... just don't use them. Period. If nobody uses them.. they will discount them severely or just remove them.

But I think most of us know that Cxp grinders ARE going to gobble these up.. so it's your own fault if they prove popular and successful.

Well, that's just your opinion and the way you view things. Everyone elses is different to yours.

Nor is it really a "scam". I get that it's convenient for the negative narratives around here. If they tricked you into buying them, then it would be a scam. There is no trick or treachery here. Nor is there any clear sign yet if they will also get put into loot tables and drop in game either (we simply do not know yet).

But I think most of us know that Cxp grinder ARE going to gobble these up.. so it's your own fault if they prove popular and successful.

I'll agree with you, and complement your healthy outlook on the game, but human nature is against everyone having this attitude. If you kidnap people, and throw them and a pit, and give them rubber knives to kill each other, then they're gonna get frustrated. Then if you offer those same people steel knives, at 500 bucks a pop, I'm guessing you'd have a lot of customers.

Wow, someone posting logic and reason...

~ Eudoxia

Wow, someone posting logic and reason...

~ Eudoxia

Except it doesn't work. It's why utopias always fail. There's always one person who wants more, and takes it. Then everyone sees that one person with more, gets angry or jealous, and the whole system crashes down. How do we prevent it in SWTOR? Publicly shame those who use them?

Bioware's command system isn't compatible with logical or reasonable outlooks. It's made to take advantage of the emotional.

I think they may have "Trumped" everyone and just done this to create a distraction from the real issue... CXP and RNG gearing is a terrible system. THAT is what we should be up in arms about... not the boosters.

BTW, the boosters are still not P2W. They are pay-to-roll-faster.

I think they may have "Trumped" everyone and just done this to create a distraction from the real issue... CXP and RNG gearing is a terrible system. THAT is what we should be up in arms about... not the boosters.

BTW, the boosters are still not P2W. They are pay-to-roll-faster.

Heh... they are not that good with conspiracies. I agree with everything else you stated though. :)

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.