Romancable Arcann in the Future?

CQElaina

Well, I hope for your sake Lana never betrays you! You'll have no LI at all.

I'm not sure why it would bother anyone that you aren't interested in a certain NPC.

Anyway this discussion has gone a lot further than I thought it would. You're against Arcann romance, I'm for Arcann romance, and neither of us is going to influence what'll happen in the end. But I'm still fairly certain we'll get that Arcann romance.:rak_03:

If they did anything like that to Lana, I'd stop playing the game, in all honesty. The same as some people would stop playing if their LI betrayed them. That would be the line in the sand for me. Or I'd never bring my characters through that expansion.

I don't understand the appeal of Arcann, is what I am saying, because of what I mentioned. I don't know why anyone would consider a man who was openly abusive to them and their loved ones as a potential love prospect. I don't get why that appeals to many women in particular, and I don't think I ever will.

I'm ambivalent about an Arcann romance being added to the game, so long as they don't have him as the only male Force user LI or the only new LI available to women and gay men. But I will never get it.

My toons killed all the people of Makeb just to keep the Isotope 5 (when you let the planet collapse on purpose). Don't label it as genocide if you don't want to, but it does mean we killed millions because of a politic reason. We're no better than Arcann. Also, Arcann didn't attack those planets for religion/race/etc motives, he did it after we attacked the spire, in many cases, after we killed millions there.

Either way, he's a monster, but so are our toons (if DS). My toons would never marry someone like Iresso, and Iresso would never marry my DS toons. That's why we need more DS LI's.

Actually, I would posit that even DS toons, unless they've taken all of the most sadistic choices in the game, are better than Arcann.

Also, Arcann attacks those planets regardless if you allow Kaliyo to blow up the Spire. When he destroyed the entire planets, he took out those people and their culture.

As for Makeb, the planet is on the verge of collapsing anyway, and IIRC they get as many people as they can out of there.

But as I said above, even though I will never get the appeal of this romance in a million years, as long as they give people another male Force user and/or male LI, and don't make Arcann the only new game in town - hey, knock yourself out with it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they did anything like that to Lana, I'd stop playing the game, in all honesty. The same as some people would stop playing if their LI betrayed them. That would be the line in the sand for me. Or I'd never bring my characters through that expansion.

*sobs in corner*

*sobs in corner*

I hear you. I'd never wish it on anyone's love interest. We get attached and love these characters. Whether it's Lana, Theron, Koth or another LI...they mean everything to those players, even if it's not understandable to others, and it is upsetting when others want them out of the game.

It's why I am actually not opposed to an Arcann LI even though I don't get it and think he's a monster. That relationship apparently means a lot to some people.

I actually started writing about just how one of my characters could end up falling for Arcann, but a lot of it is based on not just his redeemed personality changed, thanks to the rage being removed from him. the Force and Valkorion's treatment seemed to amplify it, Voss healing removed that so he is and yet isn't the same person, he could fall again but he has help now to not do so. But also the mail messages he sends, including a datamined one I'm hoping makes it to the release too as it mostly hinges on what he says in both xD

Doesn't need to make sense to everyone, or for thinking too logically especially when we don't know exactly how the Force skews up people via emotions, but it can work for one of my characters. It's not a "I suddenly want to kiss that character now" thing though.

I hear you. I'd never wish it on anyone's love interest. We get attached and love these characters. Whether it's Lana, Theron, Koth or another LI...they mean everything to those players, even if it's not understandable to others, and it is upsetting when others want them out of the game.

It's why I am actually not opposed to an Arcann LI even though I don't get it and think he's a monster. That relationship apparently means a lot to some people.

I think it's just a case of wanting things in games, books, and tv shows that you would never want in real life. In real life we'd never want to kill anyone but in games we petition to be able to kill certain characters we hate, in real life we'd want to stay safe and content but in a game we may want something horrible to happen to our character for a more dramatic story, in real life a soldier would listen to orders from their superior, in the game our trooper does whatever they want with no consequences, etc...Arcann is an interesting character and IMO a romance with his redeemed version would be really interesting even though in real life there's no way we would let him roam free let alone have a romance with him. A lot of our previous love interests have been varying degrees of bad. Anders blows up the chantry and all the innocent people inside and causes the templars to attack the mages and start a war on purpose and you can choose to stay with him, Fenris slaughtered the people who took him in and treated him like a brother, Zevran murdered a ton of people for money and has no remorse about it, etc...and many others are unstable, violent, have severe issues, etc...In real life the romance options we'd go for would be the normal, well grounded, non-extreme characters that most people consider boring.

With a game there's always the knowledge that this isn't real and the less we see the bad things the character does, the less real those actions are in our minds. For example Arcann ordering Vaylin to bomb 5 worlds-we don't actually see anyone dying. It's an abstract in our minds and the people killed are just ideas that were never modeled in game, we are detached from them. On the other hand we SEE Vaylin kill one of our long time and beloved companions. That's one person vs thousands but it feels more real. I don't think I could ever bring myself to spare Vaylin if the game gave us that option let alone romance her.

On the other hand we SEE Vaylin kill one of our long time and beloved companions. That's one person vs thousands but it feels more real. I don't think I could ever bring myself to spare Vaylin if the game gave us that option let alone romance her.

Hmm ... but who Is to blame for the death of Torian/Vette?

Vaylin for delivering to killing blow? or the Outlander for provoking Vaylin into the battle?

Edited by Paulsutherland

As for Makeb, the planet is on the verge of collapsing anyway, and IIRC they get as many people as they can out of there.

But as I said above, even though I will never get the appeal of this romance in a million years, as long as they give people another male Force user and/or male LI, and don't make Arcann the only new game in town - hey, knock yourself out with it.

I have very LS toons, gray toons, medium DS toons and #nightmare mode toons :D that last group... trust me, is worse than Arcann and Valkorion together, by far :D

Makeb: you have 2 endings on the imperial side. Before you get to choose LS or DS, in both cases, the planet core was stabilized and the planet saved.

If you choose DS: you create a massive earthquake to kill everybody just to avoid the hutt's knowing the truth (that the Empire stabilized the core and that there's more Isotope 5 left).

If LS, you refuse to create the earthquake, save the planet, and get the hutt mercenaries on your side. You pay them for their silence.

Republic side is less bloody.

If LS, you rescue people and give them a good home. If DS, you rescue people, and allow Saresh to enslave them in ... (I think) weapon factories.

I have 13 toons, only 4 are pubs, so I haven't played that side of the story in a long time :p

But Charles did say in an older thread that he wants to give us another force user LI (besides Arcann), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Tadagyt

I think it's just a case of wanting things in games, books, and tv shows that you would never want in real life.

It happens with vampires for example. Are they monsters? yes. Do they kill people? yes, and yet men and women all over the world love vampire romantic movies and books.

Maybe because those stories are about redemption. About a monster who finds his lost humanity and tries to be better.

I don't understand the appeal of Arcann, is what I am saying, because of what I mentioned. I don't know why anyone would consider a man who was openly abusive to them and their loved ones as a potential love prospect. I don't get why that appeals to many women in particular, and I don't think I ever will.

I'm ambivalent about an Arcann romance being added to the game, so long as they don't have him as the only male Force user LI or the only new LI available to women and gay men. But I will never get it.

Actually, I would posit that even DS toons, unless they've taken all of the most sadistic choices in the game, are better than Arcann.

Also, Arcann attacks those planets regardless if you allow Kaliyo to blow up the Spire. When he destroyed the entire planets, he took out those people and their culture.

Well that's all right! I don't understand why some people find certain things attractive or appealing, but hey, you do you!

Sad about the patch delay. I was really ready for the new patch. G'darnit.:mad:

I think it's just a case of wanting things in games, books, and tv shows that you would never want in real life. In real life we'd never want to kill anyone but in games we petition to be able to kill certain characters we hate, in real life we'd want to stay safe and content but in a game we may want something horrible to happen to our character for a more dramatic story, in real life a soldier would listen to orders from their superior, in the game our trooper does whatever they want with no consequences, etc...Arcann is an interesting character and IMO a romance with his redeemed version would be really interesting even though in real life there's no way we would let him roam free let alone have a romance with him. A lot of our previous love interests have been varying degrees of bad. Anders blows up the chantry and all the innocent people inside and causes the templars to attack the mages and start a war on purpose and you can choose to stay with him, Fenris slaughtered the people who took him in and treated him like a brother, Zevran murdered a ton of people for money and has no remorse about it, etc...and many others are unstable, violent, have severe issues, etc...In real life the romance options we'd go for would be the normal, well grounded, non-extreme characters that most people consider boring.

With a game there's always the knowledge that this isn't real and the less we see the bad things the character does, the less real those actions are in our minds. For example Arcann ordering Vaylin to bomb 5 worlds-we don't actually see anyone dying. It's an abstract in our minds and the people killed are just ideas that were never modeled in game, we are detached from them. On the other hand we SEE Vaylin kill one of our long time and beloved companions. That's one person vs thousands but it feels more real. I don't think I could ever bring myself to spare Vaylin if the game gave us that option let alone romance her.

Well said Nefla!!🤗

It happens with vampires for example. Are they monsters? yes. Do they kill people? yes, and yet men and women all over the world love vampire romantic movies and books.

Maybe because those stories are about redemption. About a monster who finds his lost humanity and tries to be better.

Or in series people find Villains attractive, Ramsay Bolton, Jamie lannister, Negan from the walking dead. They all do awful things we wouldn't want anything to do with irl. But in fantasy, why the **** not?

I rarely apply real life morals and ethics to fantasy games and series, it isn't real.

Edited by Eshvara

Hmm ... but who Is to blame for the death of Torian/Vette?

Vaylin for delivering to killing blow? or the Outlander for provoking Vaylin into the battle?

Vaylin did the killing. That was her choice. She also chose to come to Odessen and attack. The Outlander was asking her to negotiate.

And the Outlander's choices were to either try to get her down to the surface or to let the Eternal Fleet wipe the planet off the map. Those really weren't tenable options in either case, but having Vaylin on the surface probably saved more lives in the Alliance, even if it didn't work out for Torian or Vette.

That's a very well stated point and perspective. People do detach from atrocities when they are off-screen. I tend to play characters mostly based on what I would do in that situation, but it's a very salient point that the game in general is allowing situations that would never fly in real life.

and I'm with you on Vaylin. What was done to her to twist her into an insane psychopath was horrifying, but it's not an excuse for her actions. I could let her spirit go free out of compassion so she's finally at peace (and so nobody can bring her back) but I could never save her if that were an option.

I'll check out your fanfic! :) Headcanon would be the only way possible to move through that, methinks.

Yay! Another vict---err reader! :cool: I haven't gotten to that point yet because I'm trying very hard to stay in order of the vanilla storyline. I'm currently in the process of writing the "acquiring Jaesa on Hutta" chapter right now. So, the Quinncident will be quite a bit down the line. But, I've already done quite a bit of set-up, foreshadowing, hinting, etc as to which way the wind is blowing in regards to that in the story so far. So, feel free to read away! :D

• 2 weeks later...

There's a case for keeping Arcann alive with a DSider, and then romancing him, and having his progeny...

1. It keeps the "bloodline" of the Valkorian/Vitiate alive, while still getting rid of your foe/guy who wants to inhabit your skull.

2. As royalty did in the past, this would be a marriage of politics, not really for love - you are giving "continuence" to the people of Zakuul - and, you are begetting the future heirs of your own "empire".

3. Once you have done enough "begetting" and have a few heirs, you can get rid of hubby or sentence him to be in an "iron mask" in a dungeon somewhere, :-) or something. (or, he can keep Quinn company on the ship and be sentenced to crafting in his underwear for the remainder of his days..)

Same reason might apply to a Theron Romance for a Dark Sider.

Something to REALLY get under the skin of the Jedi Grand Master Ms Satele Shan ---- HEY, Satele, your Grandchildren are SITH! :D

There's a case for keeping Arcann alive with a DSider, and then romancing him, and having his progeny...

1. It keeps the "bloodline" of the Valkorian/Vitiate alive, while still getting rid of your foe/guy who wants to inhabit your skull.

2. As royalty did in the past, this would be a marriage of politics, not really for love - you are giving "continuence" to the people of Zakuul - and, you are begetting the future heirs of your own "empire".

3. Once you have done enough "begetting" and have a few heirs, you can get rid of hubby or sentence him to be in an "iron mask" in a dungeon somewhere, :-) or something. (or, he can keep Quinn company on the ship and be sentenced to crafting in his underwear for the remainder of his days..)

I just want Arcann because I actually really like him and always have! I don't care for all these extra reasons.:rak_03:

• 2 weeks later...

Arcann as LI does sound interesting despite all the villainy he pulled on the Outlander and Republic/Empire. If you go for the redemption route, Arcann as a character just becomes more interesting, imo. He does the 180, but it's not like he completely forgotten about what he did. In the game, more than once, he voices and acknowledges his dark side self and shows doubt and fears of that self.

Redemption is a huge theme in the overall Star Wars mythos and Arcann has that potential in spades. It would be a shame if that potential is left to wither over real time over the course of upcoming expansions.

But I'm hoping if his redemption is to be explored, it won't solely be through romance arc. Given his villainy and the way Iokath story is going right now, would there be enough room for Arcann's story and to have it done well?

I mean... I can see Arcann romance with one of my Force-user toons after what happened on Umbara ... (sobs)