Romancable Arcann in the Future?

CQElaina

The issue with making Arcann a companion beyond what's mentioned above - he *is* killable.

However...do we know for an absolute, 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt fact that Thexan is really dead? Anyone else think it's at all possible that Arcann might have had a second of remorse and thrown him in carbonite, too? Perhaps the loophole is that Arcann won't be offered as a LI but his brother will make a comeback...that would IMHO solve the issues regarding Arcann's past actions, as well as the dilemma that he's not alive in everyone's storyline.

Thexan's a male Force user, would be alive in everyone's story lines if he's coming into the story now, and looks just like Arcann, which would seem to check all the boxes everyone wants.

Thexan is a character that our character doesn't know or have a history with though, an essential box to be missing IMO :(

Anyway if they add anything for Arcann or the other non-Lana, non-ruined OOC companion characters it will probably be new boss specific combat barks here and there or something like that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wrath is ready :cool:

Of course, if the traitor is who I think it is... my SIN may get Arcann whenever he's available as well...

betrayed me, kid? my turn now :D:cool:

As Skadge would say.... awww you want me to call your mommy? :rak_03:

Sorry but i wouldn't romance Arcann precisely because of that " i have you". My character is no one's property, no one "has" her.

My male toons got the same mail. I don't think it was romantic, more like... "I'm glad you're in my life because I never had a friend".

However...do we know for an absolute, 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt fact that Thexan is really dead?

I'm a firm believer that if Charles wants to save Thexan, then he can do it. We never saw Thexan dead. Senya watched the funeral on... tv? holo? something like that. For all we know, the Scions, Valkorion, Arcann, whoever, could have saved him.

But I want Arcann as a LI... or both, I mean... imagine getting both twins :eek::cool::p

Edited by Tadagyt

The issue with making Arcann a companion beyond what's mentioned above - he *is* killable.

However...do we know for an absolute, 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt fact that Thexan is really dead? Anyone else think it's at all possible that Arcann might have had a second of remorse and thrown him in carbonite, too? Perhaps the loophole is that Arcann won't be offered as a LI but his brother will make a comeback...that would IMHO solve the issues regarding Arcann's past actions, as well as the dilemma that he's not alive in everyone's storyline.

Thexan's a male Force user, would be alive in everyone's story lines if he's coming into the story now, and looks just like Arcann, which would seem to check all the boxes everyone wants.

While Thexan is interesting, I want Arcann, after all he's done, he's much more fleshed out than Thexan would ever be.

I don't see why it matters that he's not available for everyone, the people who don't want him, killed him. As if they would romance him if they couldn't. They clearly don't like Arcann.

Aside from that, Charles already said it doesn't matter if a certain companion is dead for some, so I don't see why people still bring this up.

Charles both acknowledged Arcann and Scourge, and while Arcann is dead for some, Scourge would have to be made available for everyone, which would be a first for a specific class story companion that was never a LI to begin with.

Both these characters would require some effort to make it work and I'm glad it doesn't stop them from thinking about implementing either of them.

Edited by Eshvara

While Thexan is interesting, I want Arcann, after all he's done, he's much more fleshed out than Thexan would ever be.

I don't see why it matters that he's not available for everyone, the people who don't want him, killed him. As if they would romance him if they couldn't. They clearly don't like Arcann.

Aside from that, Charles already said it doesn't matter if a certain companion is dead for some, so I don't see why people still bring this up.

Charles both acknowledged Arcann and Scourge, and while Arcann is dead for some, Scourge would have to be made available for everyone, which would be a first for a specific class story companion that was never a LI to begin with.

Both these characters would require some effort to make it work and I'm glad it doesn't stop them from thinking about implementing either of them.

*shrug* It's still a salient point, IMHO. You're right, someone like me couldn't give a rat's *** about Arcann being a LI, because I would never romance him. But many people want what they can't have, and always have. So I absolutely think that if Arcann were the only new LI offered, there *would* be people who killed him who would complain about it now. Of course BW could just shrug and say "Well, whatever, you made a choice," but I do think they would be wise to add at least one male Force-sensitive that is in everyone's story.

Personally, while I do again hope you all get what you want with Arcann, IMHO Thexan would be appealing to many because he didn't try to kill the player (thus alleviating those concerns) and seems to have been the "good twin." As someone else mentioned above, if both twins were actually alive and available to romance, it could set up a heck of a story with a lot of conflict, as well.

*shrug* It's still a salient point, IMHO. You're right, someone like me couldn't give a rat's *** about Arcann being a LI, because I would never romance him. But many people want what they can't have, and always have. So I absolutely think that if Arcann were the only new LI offered, there *would* be people who killed him who would complain about it now. Of course BW could just shrug and say "Well, whatever, you made a choice," but I do think they would be wise to add at least one male Force-sensitive that is in everyone's story.

Personally, while I do again hope you all get what you want with Arcann, IMHO Thexan would be appealing to many because he didn't try to kill the player (thus alleviating those concerns) and seems to have been the "good twin." As someone else mentioned above, if both twins were actually alive and available to romance, it could set up a heck of a story with a lot of conflict, as well.

I guess I remain skeptical, while I'm sure there are some people who would want to romance him if he were to become an option, I doubt it would be the majority.

24% of people choose to kill off Arcann, which is already the extreme minority, then out of those 24% I can't imagine there being a number worth mentioning that would suddenly change their minds and want to romance him. It doesn't make any sense. But even if it did, choices matter right?

If they kill off for example Theron Shan, should they never implement marriage for that character because some killed him off and now that there's marriage they feel sad they're missing out on it?

I do hope they add more than one force companion LI for females as we've been waiting for so loooooong! While I want Arcann on my SI, my wrath needs Scourge.:rak_03:

I just can't fathom why anyone would want to romance Arcann. Arcann does so much damage to the player and her loved ones, commits genocide, stands by and does nothing while his sister is taken away and tortured...I just don't get it even though he's supposed to be redeemed. I don't understand why anyone would keep Arcann alive, to be honest.

I pretty much agree. I can see the whole "tragic villain" appeal to him. It's just not my thing.

But I don't get why people forgive Quinn and continue that romance either, so I fully understand that some things are outside my preferences/etc. and I don't *have* to get why people choose certain companions over others.

In my case...headcanon...lots and lots of headcanon. (Pretty much that the betrayal wasn't something he ever wanted to do to my romanced SW, but was forced to by Baras. I'll cover it fully in my story when I get to that point [see link below *cough shameless plug cough*])

So - I do hope that those who want to romance Arcann get what they want. I just hope they don't leave that as the only romanceable male Force user.

Ditto...

I think it's more an issue that they don't want to make content that only some people will see. They used to make stuff with multiple playthroughs and choice in mind but now they want to funnel everyone down the same path as much as possible. :(

I just can't fathom why anyone would want to romance Arcann. Arcann does so much damage to the player and her loved ones, commits genocide, stands by and does nothing while his sister is taken away and tortured...I just don't get it even though he's supposed to be redeemed. I don't understand why anyone would keep Arcann alive, to be honest.

But I don't get why people forgive Quinn and continue that romance either, so I fully understand that some things are outside my preferences/etc. and I don't *have* to get why people choose certain companions over others.

So - I do hope that those who want to romance Arcann get what they want. I just hope they don't leave that as the only romanceable male Force user.

I feel like that's probably reason enough that writing an Arcann romance would be a terrible idea. He was created as a villain without regard to a future potential romance, so his actions don't make sense for a character the writers want you to be attracted to. It would be like writing a romance novel about a handsome young Pol Pot. Some people might be into something like that, but I know the vast majority of us aren't.

Is it really so much to ask that the one male force using LI not be a former genocidal man-baby dictator? He sort of even looks like a large baby. :D Just the vague possibility of an Arcann romance makes me want to uninstall.

I pretty much agree. I can see the whole "tragic villain" appeal to him. It's just not my thing.

In my case...headcanon...lots and lots of headcanon. (Pretty much that the betrayal wasn't something he ever wanted to do to my romanced SW, but was forced to by Baras. I'll cover it fully in my story when I get to that point [see link below *cough shameless plug cough*])

I'll check out your fanfic! :) Headcanon would be the only way possible to move through that, methinks.

I feel like that's probably reason enough that writing an Arcann romance would be a terrible idea. He was created as a villain without regard to a future potential romance, so his actions don't make sense for a character the writers want you to be attracted to.

Well... any of my sith, my IA... my BH and my DS JK are worse than Arcann. They murdered tons of people, and they commited genocide when they destroyed the spire or when they killed all the citizens of Makeb at the end of the story. They did it for the Empire, the Republic or the Alliance, while he did it for the Eternal Empire. In many cases, they did it just because. So my toons ain't better than him, they're worse. Arcann was redeemed, while my toons feel no remorse.

DS toons need LI's, but most of the ones in game judge you if you kill people, betray you for being evil or break up with you like Elara did with the DS trooper (even if he joined the republic). Maybe that's why my BH runs around with Skadge as a companion. Skadge doesn't judge you, he actually understands you, because he's evil just like my toons are. Not all LI's have to be like Mako or Vette.

Also, if Arcann was a LI, my wrath would get him. I feel they both suffered because of Valkorion / Sith Emperor, they were used and discarded. Their lives were ruined because of him. Arcann is the only person who could ever really understand my wrath.

With all the betrayals and break ups and whatever, I feel we're back to playing the story thinking about what the companions want, instead of what we want. We need more DS LI's.

Edited by Tadagyt

I agree with wanting a character that is a bit darker, I'm personally sick of all the Theron's and those alike! If you like them great, but I think goodie goodie characters are extremely boring.

But then again, I've always had a villain complex. Maybe I'll like Theron more after the next patch, assuming he'd become a villain of course, based on totally nothing.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

I think it's more an issue that they don't want to make content that only some people will see. They used to make stuff with multiple playthroughs and choice in mind but now they want to funnel everyone down the same path as much as possible. :(

I understand, and it does seem like that's where they were going with those companions that died. I don't know, my faith is strong!:D

Also due to something people can't talk about.:rak_03: Though if interested, I could pm! It's quite convincing that at least something should be happening with Arcann.:p

Sorry for 2x post, meant to edit this in the previous one.

Edited by Eshvara

I understand, and it does seem like that's where they were going with those companions that died. I don't know, my faith is strong!:D

Also due to something people can't talk about.:rak_03: Though if interested, I could pm! It's quite convincing that at least something should be happening with Arcann.:p

Sorry for 2x post, meant to edit this in the previous one.

I would love to hear your theory about it :o

Well... any of my sith, my IA... my BH and my DS JK are worse than Arcann. They murdered tons of people, and they commited genocide when they destroyed the spire or when they killed all the citizens of Makeb at the end of the story..

Without commenting on the rest, it's probably a good time to clarify that genocide isn't just killing a lot of people. Genocide is a specific act of killing people because of their religion/race/national origin/etc. So deciding to wipe out all the people on an entire planet because they're there, as Valkorion, Vaylin and Arcann do? Genocide. The situation at the Foundry where they want to exterminate all people with Sith DNA, or Directive 7 when they want to kill all organics? Also genocide. Massacring a lot of people in battle or failing to stop a reactor from blowing up? Not genocide. Makeb? Saving the planet, and if you don't evacuate the people it's horrible, but it's not genocide per se.

Without commenting on the rest, it's probably a good time to clarify that genocide isn't just killing a lot of people. Genocide is a specific act of killing people because of their religion/race/national origin/etc. So deciding to wipe out all the people on an entire planet because they're there, as Valkorion, Vaylin and Arcann do? Genocide. The situation at the Foundry where they want to exterminate all people with Sith DNA, or Directive 7 when they want to kill all organics? Also genocide. Massacring a lot of people in battle or failing to stop a reactor from blowing up? Not genocide. Makeb? Saving the planet, and if you don't evacuate the people it's horrible, but it's not genocide per se.

The genocide thing got me confused as well. Not denying Arcann didn't do terrible things, but it wasn't genocide. Glad you pointed that out.:)

Edited by Eshvara

To the people who are against the idea of romance because Arcann commited horrible acts in the past, I don't get it. Being in love and doing something terrible( both in the past and presen) aren't mutually exclusive things. There are many examples of it in real life, in fiction( including this game, just look at the full Dark Side Sith characters who can do some pretty messed up stuff, and still romance companions), even some of my characters have it. I won't list the horrible things some of my OCs done in the past as part of their backstory( although most of them are neutral/ LS leaning, some were former Dark Siders), because no one in here wants to listen about my OC, but I can say the OC I ship him with( who isn't the Outlander in my headcanon by the way, but an Alliance member) is a redeemed Sith apprentice who did her share of horrible things in the past( yes, she was manipulated and abused into doing it, but that doesn't change the fact, besides, quite a few things imply that Arcann was an abuse victim in his childhood too), so neither of them are saints.

Besides, even after all the stuff he's done, he still manages to be more sympathetic to me than... some characters the fandom still somehow sympathises with and forgives them everything * gives Kylo Ren a death glare and Force Chokes him to death* Really, I've seen characters both in this universe and out of it who are much, much worse than Arcann, still somehow managing to gain the fandom's sympathy( in some cases understandable to me, in some cases absolutely not). So I don't think sympathy is the question.

Finally, there is already a romance in this game that is more messed up than the Arcann romance ever will be, and it's been here since vanilla SWTOR. The DS Jaesa romance. Just look at it: you kill the poor girl's parents and other people she knows and loves, have her witness her Master's fall to the Dark Side( it's not your fault, at least not in the LS version though, I haven't seen the DS version of that scene yet, but it still should be pretty painful for her to watch), make her a husk of her former self just to turn her into your apprentice, have her turn into a completely insane psychopath, and only then seduce her. Yeah, a definition of healthy and stable relationship. At least in Arcann's case, from whe way the things are going, neither of you are going to do something as messed up as what the SW did to DS Jaesa.

The genocide thing got me confused as well. Not denying Arcann didn't do terrible things, but it wasn't genocide. Glad you pointed that out.:)

Oh no - Arcann and the other members of the Valkorion House of Pain did in fact commit genocide when they wiped out several planets. I was clarifying that the player did NOT commit genocide if they choose to blow up the Spire.

In terms of why I really don't understand the Arcann love: I feel like there are lines in the sand for forgiving others' behavior, and Arcann crosses all of them. Someone who blows up several planets, murders his own twin brother, stands by while his sister gets tortured and is a cruel despotic leader...that is way worse than what the SW can do to Jaesa (and BTW you can also choose to set up Jaesa's parents in the lap of luxury in DK, even if she goes Dark Side). Wanting to romance someone who has literally tried to murder you several times...no. I don't get it. It seems as appealing as romancing Pol Pot or Charles Manson, as someone else said above.

Plus...and this is a personal pet peeve...he doesn't seek redemption or atone on his own. He could have done so at any time. He doesn't. His Mommy sets up a magic ceremony for him and boom, all is well. If the storyline involved Arcann actively seeking atonement on his own in some substantial way, it would have been more reasonable IMHO.

It's why I really, really hope that if they do choose to make Arcann a romance option, they also have another male Force user available.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Oh no - Arcann and the other members of the Valkorion House of Pain did in fact commit genocide when they wiped out several planets. I was clarifying that the player did NOT commit genocide if they choose to blow up the Spire.

In terms of why I really don't understand the Arcann love: I feel like there are lines in the sand for forgiving others' behavior, and Arcann crosses all of them. Wanting to romance someone who has literally tried to murder you several times...no. I don't get it. At all. It seems as appealing as romancing Pol Pot or Charles Manson, as someone else said above.

It's why I really, really hope that if they do choose to make Arcann a romance option, they also have another male Force user available.

It's just that by the definition of genocide, you need to have certain grounds to make the term apply to the situation. Bombing planets because you can isn't genocide. It's like when someone says they don't like X religion, they're racist. They're not, they're xenophobic.

Arcann was a tyrant and a mass murderer/dictator. He wasn't against aliens or religions or whatever, his reasons for bombing the planets were not based on what the term genocide is based on. If people want to continue using the word genocide for something that it is not, they're being wilfully ignorant.

As for disliking Arcann, I can understand why some just don't find it appealing, and that's fine, then the Arcann romance just isn't for you.(generally speaking) But not everyone finds it a problem. Whatever Arcann decided to do to you was mainly because of his dad. It isn't neccesarily an excuse, but it makes me not care in the slightest.

I honestly wish Arcann was still on the dark side, I always preferred him that way.:)

I also hope that they'll add more than one romance, not that I for myself feel like Arcann wouldn't be enough, but because us females haven't been given as much as males have and it's about time that changes!

If Zenith, Scourge, vowrawn or whoever were to become the next LI, I'd still want there to be more than just one and I think most females probably would too.

Edited by Eshvara

It's just that by the definition of genocide, you need to have certain grounds to make the term apply to the situation. Bombing planets because you can isn't genocide. It's like when someone says they don't like X religion, they're racist. They're not, they're xenophobic.

Arcann was a tyrant and a mass murderer/dictator. He wasn't against aliens or religions or whatever, his reasons for bombing the planets were not based on what the term genocide is based on. If people want to continue using the word genocide for something that it is not, they're being wilfully ignorant.

As for disliking Arcann, I can understand why some just don't find it appealing, and that's fine, then the Arcann romance just isn't for you.(generally speaking) But not everyone finds it a problem. Whatever Arcann decided to do to you was mainly because of his dad. It isn't neccesarily an excuse, but it makes me not care in the slightest.

I honestly wish Arcann was still on the dark side, I always preferred him that way.:)

I also hope that they'll add more than one romance, not that I for myself feel like Arcann wouldn't be enough, but because us females haven't been given as much as males have and it's about time that changes!

If Zenith, Scourge, vowrawn or whoever were to become the next LI, I'd still want there to be more than just one and I think most females probably would too.

Considering I've got more than one Holocaust survivor in my family I think I know what genocide is...killing every single person on a planet, which is what Arcann does, actually does meet the definition of genocide. He's wiping out that people and culture entirely.

I don't like the "he was abused" excuse, myself. So was Charles Manson...we're all responsible for our own actions, especially as adults. I really don't get why so many women seem to love men who have been openly abusive toward them (and yes, I would think putting the player in carbonite and trying to murder them several times counts as 'abusive'). No, that really *isn't* my thing. If it's yours, cool, but again, I do hope they have other Force users available so other players can choose someone else.

And yeah, I really do agree with you that the romances and one-night-stands available to female players in the vanilla stories were very disappointing.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Considering I've got more than one Holocaust survivor in my family I think I know what genocide is...killing every single person on a planet, which is what Arcann does, actually does meet the definition of genocide. He's wiping out that people and culture entirely.

Well I'm going by the written definition of genocide, the one stated in dictionary and the one that doesn't apply to what Arcann did. If you want to use it differently, then that's your choice.

I don't like the "he was abused" excuse, myself. So was Charles Manson...we're all responsible for our own actions, especially as adults. I really don't get why so many women seem to love men who have been openly abusive toward them (and yes, I would think putting the player in carbonite and trying to murder them several times counts as 'abusive'). No, that really *isn't* my thing. If it's yours, cool, but again, I do hope they have other Force users available so other players can choose someone else.

Not really sure how to reply to most of this. But yes, we do all make our own decisions and we have to deal with the consequences! In your story Arcann did, and you'll never have to have the chance to romance him!

Not that you'd give up Lana.:rak_03:

And yeah, I really do agree with you that the romances and one-night-stands available to female players in the vanilla stories were very disappointing.

Yup!:D

Edited by Eshvara

Well I'm going by the written definition of genocide, the one stated in dictionary and the one that doesn't apply to Arcann. If you want to use it differently, then that's your choice.

Actually, I'm not using it differently. The dictionary says:

gen·o·cide

ˈjenəˌsīd/

noun

noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides

the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

And if you don't like Google dictionary we can also check out Oxford, which is the English-language standard:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/genocide

The deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

Please explain how deliberately wiping out every person on a planet - as both Arcann and Valkorion do - doesn't meet this definition. It's okay, I can wait. IMHO you're just trying to deny that Arcann commits genocide because you want him as a love interest, and it's a way to make him seem less terrible.

Not really sure how to reply to most of this. But yes, we do all make our own decisions and we have to deal with the consequences! In your story Arcann did, and you'll never have to have the chance to romance him! Not that you'd give up Lana.:rak_03:

You're right, I wouldn't. Lana's never tried to kill my player, she's awesome, and I'm not ashamed of my sexuality. I don't really like boys most of the time, and if one did catch my fancy, it certainly wouldn't be one who tried to kill me. Sorry if that bothers you.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Actually, I'm not using it differently. The dictionary says:

gen·o·cide

ˈjenəˌsīd/

noun

noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides

the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

And if you don't like Google dictionary we can also check out Oxford, which is the English-language standard:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/genocide

The deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

Please explain how deliberately wiping out every person on a planet - as both Arcann and Valkorion do - doesn't meet this definition. It's okay, I can wait. IMHO you're just trying to deny that Arcann commits genocide because you want him as a love interest, and it's a way to make him seem less terrible. [/Quote]

From what I'm understanding, what defines genocide is your reasoning behind the mass murder you're committing. Every explanation I'm seeing mentions it. It also puts people into a group, not the amount but the group that's targeted and then killed because they belong to that group. Like the Jewish were.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/genocide?s=t

genocide

[jen-uh-sahyd]

Examples

Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aimed at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. [Lemkin]

I'm not trying to make Arcann seem less bad at all, I never flat out denied what he did wasn't wrong. As if being with a dictator and a mass murderer would somehow be more flattering than being with a genocidal person. Is this some kind of joke?

I stated before I don't care for his crimes in this fantasy game, believe me, I'm not trying to win you over to the Arcann lovers side.

You're right, I wouldn't. Lana's never tried to kill my player, she's awesome, and I'm not ashamed of my sexuality. I don't really like boys most of the time, and if one did catch my fancy, it certainly wouldn't be one who tried to kill me. Sorry if that bothers you.

Well, I hope for your sake Lana never betrays you! You'll have no LI at all.

I'm not sure why it would bother anyone that you aren't interested in a certain NPC.

Anyway this discussion has gone a lot further than I thought it would. You're against Arcann romance, I'm for Arcann romance, and neither of us is going to influence what'll happen in the end. But I'm still fairly certain we'll get that Arcann romance.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

My toons killed all the people of Makeb just to keep the Isotope 5 (when you let the planet collapse on purpose). Don't label it as genocide if you don't want to, but it does mean we killed millions because of a politic reason. We're no better than Arcann.

Also, Arcann didn't attack those planets for religion/race/etc motives, he did it after we attacked the spire, in many cases, after we killed millions there.

Either way, he's a monster, but so are our toons (if DS). My toons would never marry someone like Iresso, and Iresso would never marry my DS toons. That's why we need more DS LI's.

Edited by Tadagyt