The Disintegration bug

Trilella

The whole concept of 'exploiting a bug' being a punishable offense irritates me. Like, dudes, it's your game. You coded it. If something's wrong with it, that's on you. Don't blame the players for playing your game when they/we are not the ones who have control over how it's coded/how it functions. A lot of times a player may honestly not even know that something is a 'bug' and that they're 'exploiting it'--but even if they do know and are knowingly using it to their advantage, so the eff what? You code: you're responsible, end of story. Punishing 'exploiters' is just refusing to take responsibility for your own mistakes.

For the record, I have no idea what bug this is even talking about. I don't put that much time into finding loopholes in the game. I just think punishing those who do is ludicrous.

Edited by MollyDresden

Are you allowed to disclose what they actually did? Was this the reason for the downtime?

Yeah a dev told us what happened. Apparently when disintegrating things like jawa scraps, you could enter in a value in excess of the available, and get full credit for it. So say you had 8 jawa scraps, worth 80 cp, you could enter 9999(or whatever the cap is) and get 99990 cp.

Best punishment obviously would be to drop the exploiters back to command level 1 on every char, that was beyond CL 1 already :rolleyes:

But they already have the crates. It'd actually accelerate their ability to get tier 1 gear, though put them farther away from higher tiers.

Exploits break games, cheats also spoil games. I'm sorry but exploiters who knowingly do it should be banned period, theres not many that would sympathise with cheaters. Its also impossible to make a mmo or expansion that does not have bugs, annoying fact but true non the less.

The whole concept of 'exploiting a bug' being a punishable offense irritates me. Like, dudes, it's your game. You coded it. If something's wrong with it, that's on you. Don't blame the players for playing your game when they/we are not the ones who have control over how it's coded/how it functions. A lot of times a player may honestly not even know that something is a 'bug' and that they're 'exploiting it'--but even if they do know and are knowingly using it to their advantage, so the eff what? You code: you're responsible, end of story. Punishing 'exploiters' is just refusing to take responsibility for your own mistakes.

For the record, I have no idea what bug this is even talking about. I don't put that much time into finding loopholes in the game. I just think punishing those who do is ludicrous.

lol if they only had 1 Jawa Junk and entered 1000 for disintegration then they knew it and deserve a temporary ban, a week or a month. But yeah they will not perma ban them I am sure, can't afford to lose a paying sub. But if they are a F2P then who knows :p

At some point, players need to assume responsibility for the actions and be held accountable for those actions.

If you walked out of your house, forgot to lock the door and someone waltzed right in and stole everything you own, would you say that those who took advantage of a situation caused by YOU should not be punished? AFter all, THEY did not leave your door unlocked. YOU did. YOU are the only one responsible for them having free access to your house.

Or would you expect those persons to be caught and punished?

Are you allowed to disclose what they actually did? Was this the reason for the downtime?

Hey everyone,

We brought the servers down to address an issue involving setting the stack size in the "Disintegration" pop up higher than the amount you had available.

As of this downtime, this issue has been fully resolved. For those who are wondering, we do consider having taken advantage of this bug an exploit. After a detailed review, we will take appropriate actions as needed.

Thank you,

Tait

Pretty clear they consider this one an actionable exploit.

So... what will likely happen is similar to what they did with the big dupe exploit in 4.0. They will reset their GC to ZERO... ( probably take away all their GC drops as well or any gains from them, as this is easy to audit ).... which is going to hurt, as well as give them a ban, with the severity of the ban depending on how egregious the player was, and if they had prior red-marks for exploits on their account. It will likely be a perma ban this time for previous offenders, and maybe even for egregious first timers... considering what a sore point GC is with players right now.

Unlike the dupe exploit in 4.0 where some players probably managed to launder their results.... GC is not tradeable, not sellable, not movable across a legacy... so no way to launder what you did on this one.

Edited by Andryah

But they already have the crates. It'd actually accelerate their ability to get tier 1 gear, though put them farther away from higher tiers.

Well, I wasn't goping in detail... I was meaning to strip them of ALL rewards they got since start of KotET. Blueprints, Mats, items beyond lvl 228, comp gifts... make them bleed. And I do not care, if the exploiters loose stuff, that they did not even get by an exploit. Make them feel an actual punishment, as abusing that bug is quite obviously an exploit. There is no grey zone and noone can claim, that "if it is possible, it is meant to be this way".

The whole concept of 'exploiting a bug' being a punishable offense irritates me. Like, dudes, it's your game. You coded it. If something's wrong with it, that's on you. Don't blame the players for playing your game when they/we are not the ones who have control over how it's coded/how it functions.

By the absolute same logic, you could drive you car at 200km/h through a city... cause.. the car can do it and rules do not count for you...

Well, I wasn't goping in detail... I was meaning to strip them of ALL rewards they got since start of KotET. Blueprints, Mats, items beyond lvl 228, comp gifts... make them bleed. And I do not care, if the exploiters loose stuff, that they did not even get by an exploit. Make them feel an actual punishment, as abusing that bug is quite obviously an exploit. There is no grey zone and noone can claim, that "if it is possible, it is meant to be this way".

By the absolute same logic, you could drive you car at 200km/h through a city... cause.. the car can do it and rules do not count for you...

Ah, it does sound like that's exactly what they did.

This isn't preschool.

Players that knowingly cheat or exploit in a game deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions.

It's called accountability for ones actions.

And for once the Bioware meme ...... "choices have consequences" applies. :cool:

they'll be banned at most.

Which is the MMO equivalent of prison.... they are banished/exiled (kind of like Napoleon).

For some of the negative grousers around here... it probably will feel more like clemency or a pardon from the game. :p

Edited by Andryah

At some point, players need to assume responsibility for the actions and be held accountable for those actions.

If you walked out of your house, forgot to lock the door and someone waltzed right in and stole everything you own, would you say that those who took advantage of a situation caused by YOU should not be punished? AFter all, THEY did not leave your door unlocked. YOU did. YOU are the only one responsible for them having free access to your house.

Or would you expect those persons to be caught and punished?

Those people do not pay me to throw parties in my house. Your analogy is inaccurate.

Not the same logic at all. There are laws about driving, laws which are separate from the relationship between car seller and car buyer. You guys really are not good at analogies.

This isn't preschool.

Players that knowingly cheat or exploit in a game deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions.

It's called accountability for ones actions.

And for once the Bioware meme ...... "choices have consequences" applies. :cool:

And BW is in no way accountable for *their* actions? This is especially uncool when you consider that the instant they discover a bug that gives players who discover it some advantage, they immediately shut the servers down to fix it. Bugs that have negative effects on the players' gaming experience, however, they allow to linger for months or years. BW refuses to be accountable for those bugs. Even when/if they get around to fixing it, what recompense do they make for all of us whose gameplay (a service we pay actual money for) was harmed by those bugs? Nothing. Yet someone briefly 'exploits' a bug? Hammered. And you speak of players deserving to suffer consequences. SMH.

Edited by MollyDresden

Not the same logic at all. There are laws about driving, laws which are separate from the relationship between car seller and car buyer. You guys really are not good at analogies.

You simply choose to dismiss those analogies because they do not mesh with your personal views.

Those personal views appear to be that no one should ever be held accountable or punished for their actions. because there is always someone else to blame.