The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stop Platinum rarity

Grindera

Hey All,

It's time I decided to raise my voice / whine / cry (choose what you wish) a bit about the so-called Platinum rarity.

I may not be the only one who thinks that all good-looking and nice Cartel items are put into this category.

As of today, the prices on GTN for some items are as follows:

Defiant Vented Lightsaber - 250 millions (1 copy existing only)

Senya's Pike - starting from 100 millions

Senya's Lightsaber - starting from 130 millions

Only a guess, but counting with the drop-rates only a handful of people can get their hands on some of the coolest cosmetic items available in the game.

Is this really the target / way of the CM Team?

How about putting these on direct sale into the CM? Let's say 1000-1500 for weapons / mounts and 2000-2500 for armor sets?

In that case, people would still cash in if they desire an item and they would at least have a chance to get these if they wish.

My guess that next stop for Platinum items will be Valkorion's or Arcann's armor pieces or complete sets (if they ever make it into the CM).

I know one cannot make a great difference, especially in the case of the money-side of business, but... At least consider.

Thanks. :)

Did you really suggest Biowares target audience to be diminished from this game? The most profitable and sought after by EA, and you simply... just want to dismiss them? No... just... no... impossible... sorry... but no one is stopping the CM gods. Ultra platinum rarity will be here before you know it.

As of today, the prices on GTN for some items are as follows:

Defiant Vented Lightsaber - 250 millions (1 copy existing only)

Senya's Pike - starting from 100 millions

Senya's Lightsaber - starting from 130 millions

So, you're shocked that the player-set price for one of the rarerest-yet-sought-afterest items in the game is priced really high? Um. I'm not sure I understand why that would surprise you.

How about putting these on direct sale into the CM? Let's say 1000-1500 for weapons / mounts and 2000-2500 for armor sets?

2000 for a platinum armour set? In your dreams.

The XoXaan set is "only" gold-rated, and when it was listed for direct CM sale, it was 2000 CCs.

It does not surprise me, it annoys me beyond point now.

Remember when items were only gold and people could actually obtain them?

Xoxaan set was not that highly-priced when it came out. Same goes for the Satele Shan and Tulak Hord armor sets.

I bought both of them around 10 millions for the complete set back then...

These are fresh items with awful drop-rates.

And of course the only real new and good-looking items (not retextures or model mash-ups).

Edited by Grindera

Can players really afford to buy something on the GTN for 250.000.000 credits? How do you get so many credits? Do they do nothing else than farming heroics 18 hours per day, 7 days per week or..? And if you have so many credits, will you really spend them on just one single item?

The maximum amount I ever achieved was something like 50.000.000 and I play regularly since the beginning (but just for fun without grinding or farming which sounds more like a chore to me rather than playing a game). My threshold for any sale on the GTN is 10.000.000. More is just crazy for fluff stuff (IMHO, YMMV).

Can players really afford to buy something on the GTN for 250.000.000 credits? How do you get so many credits? Do they do nothing else than farming heroics 18 hours per day, 7 days per week or..? And if you have so many credits, will you really spend them on just one single item?

The maximum amount I ever achieved was something like 50.000.000 and I play regularly since the beginning (but just for fun without grinding or farming which sounds more like a chore to me rather than playing a game). My threshold for any sale on the GTN is 10.000.000. More is just crazy for fluff stuff (IMHO, YMMV).

At one point a few months ago I actually had 75 million all at once on one character, but I didn't buy just one item with them.

No, I bought *two* items. :rak_01: :rak_01: :rak_01:

I bought the two pieces I still needed to finish the Satele Shan set. The first pieces I bought were some time before, and cost me no more than about three million, but the last two were 35 million and 40 million. (Noteworthy: at that moment, it would have been about 85 million to buy all of the individual pieces. Someone was listing an "Armor Set" box with all the pieces for 195 million...)

But I dug in my cargo holds and turned up enough "lesser" items to be able to raise the cash, and off I went.

2 main ways to get that kind of cash.

Playing the GTN (and being very good at it)

Buying hypercrates/packs and selling them/their drops on the GTN

If you do either/both of those for a long time, 100s of millions and even billions of credits are not infeasible.

If you do either/both of those for a long time, 100s of millions and even billions of credits are not infeasible.

Buying hypercrates is part of the platinum rarity problem, that would not solve anything. If you're gonna buy enough hypercrates to sell for 250m you might as well just play the odds, it would be cheaper.

End-game crafting too, especially early on has also been stupidly profitable for the most part. Requires intiial investement, but those who do it reap fat rewards. I can't be arsed personally, but can't be mad at those who do put effort and then swim in cash. Edited by Pietrastor

Keep in mind: If you see it on the GTN, it means it HASN'T sold. :) It's not selling for that, it's NOT selling for that. People are dreaming. The ones priced reasonably are gone.

Always remember that when you look at the gtn. Unless you catch a rare thing just listed cheap, mostly the very expensive things are people dreaming. And they're there because nobody is buying at that price.

Keep in mind: If you see it on the GTN, it means it HASN'T sold. :) It's not selling for that, it's NOT selling for that. People are dreaming. The ones priced reasonably are gone.

Always remember that when you look at the gtn. Unless you catch a rare thing just listed cheap, mostly the very expensive things are people dreaming. And they're there because nobody is buying at that price.

You are right that the ones on the GTN have not sold YET.

I would not expect to see the GTN prices for the extremely sought after, extremely rare items drop too much. There is too much demand and too little supply.

If Johnny wants that platinum shiny, then Johnny should expect to pay a premium for it. Sure, Johnny can wait to see if someone lowers their price to what Johnny considers reasonable, and then hope that he sees it on the GTN in the fraction of a second between the listing time and the time someone buys it. I'm not sure how much Johnny will have doing that, though.

All I hear is "I want that shiny, but it's too rare, and I don't want to work hard to earn the credits, and I don't want to spend the real world money to buy packs to get it." and probably "WAH".

You must have bad hearing then. What OP is trying to say is to stop RNG. Or maybe its not bad hearing and the voices in your head, one of many I suppose :rak_01:.

I don't really mind platinum, i just mind rubbish items, if i am guaranteed something worthwhile i'll happily gamble for a flimsy chance to win something great, but pay for a chance cube with an imperial banner? i'll pass, and judging by the GTN on my server i'm not the only one.

All I hear is "I want that shiny, but it's too rare, and I don't want to work hard to earn the credits, and I don't want to spend the real world money to buy packs to get it." and probably "WAH".

The main problem is people confusing with wanting something with needing something.

People don't need a purely VANITY item. People NEED gear that gives you all the armoring/mods/enhancements so you can fight. People can fight just fine in all purples and ugly armor/weapons. If you WANT something that looks better then you should work for it and grind credits, spend lots of money buying hypercrates, play the GTN game, do something for the whatever it is that you do NOT need but you do want for purely cosmetical reasons.

That's like going up to a salesman in a Lamborghini dealership asking him to lower the price so much that any poor schmuck can then afford one because they look so cool and everyone just "deserves" to drive/own one of them right?

""An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."

Queen of the White Knights <--Referral (You get trash, I get rich)

Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?"

^LMAO. Finally, someone who is honest about referral links!

Edited by Willjb

The main problem is people confusing with wanting something with needing something.

People don't need a purely VANITY item. People NEED gear that gives you all the armoring/mods/enhancements so you can fight. People can fight just fine in all purples and ugly armor/weapons. If you WANT something that looks better then you should work for it and grind credits, spend lots of money buying hypercrates, play the GTN game, do something for the whatever it is that you do NOT need but you do want for purely cosmetical reasons.

That's like going up to a salesman in a Lamborghini dealership asking him to lower the price so much that any poor schmuck can then afford one because they look so cool and everyone just "deserves" to drive/own one of them right?

All I hear is people who don't understand that people don't want to waste their money on gambling items and has the decency to not give into greed.

Personally I agree with OP RNG packs need to be gone because people's greed is getting in the way of people's enjoyment of the game.

All I see is in the comments is people not caring about people wanting to enjoy the game with items they want because people want to be greedy and then expect people to pay that price. And then they wonder why people get on the forums complaining about the way the system works cause people like this don't care about anyone but themselves. So rude.

Add-on: You want to talk about working for something, how many people on here work to pay for their subscription or buy Cartel Coins? They feel they work enough to pay for this damn game they don't want to work to pay for an item they should be able to buy straight out.

Edited by DarthEnrique

You're wrong about one thing. You don't need moddable gear either. You need gear with stats on. I just reached level 65 on a character who has *never* used armour with mods. I created an SW (went Vengeance Jugg), and learned Synthweaving, and crafted *every* piece of armour she wore after that, all the way up to the set of 212s she just finished. And the 200-rated level 61 set she crafted ("Charged Hypercloth Force Expert") is the mostest awesomest set of Sithy armour I've seen, and certainly the only one I'd show the helmet from. (Shame about the wrists having a "Missing Material"...)

You must have bad hearing then. What OP is trying to say is to stop RNG. Or maybe its not bad hearing and the voices in your head, one of many I suppose :rak_01:.

No, what the OP is saying is that he doesn't want to spend money to get something shiny. 1000cc? So instead of taking 6000cc for a crate that has about a 20% chance (total guess) of having the shiny, they should sell it for a LOT less (quick calculation based on my very loose figures would suggest it costs around 30,000cc for the item). A couple of referrals and a security key and you get it for free? Please. I'm no business genius, but I'm guessing they aren't going to go with this idea.

Hey, I could be wrong. Good look getting a company solely here to milk as much money out of us as possible to suddenly decide to take a **** ton less.

As someone who spent way too many credits, IMO, to get a senya pike I have to agree that plat rarity has some issues. The problem isn't having something above gold it is how it is implemented in game. If they introduce plat items they should be truly special and unique yet what we get now is multiple items per pack that dilutes the amount of items people want.

The reason why vented saber is super duper expensive or nonexistent yet vented dualsaber is cheap is because it is clear there is a vast quality disparity between the two. Same with senya's saber and the pike it feels like one is a plat item and the other is just thrown in the normal saber shouldn't even be included.

For future plat items they should make rules to make the plat items more special.

1. Only 1 plat item in each pack. Having 3 plat items in a single pack is dumb because even if you hit on plat you then still have a 1/3 chance of getting what you want. Put senya pike in one pack and then a month later you can do the normal saber. This way the initial supply of plat items is more stable yet they remain exclusive.

2. Make plat items special. Luggerwahl was a bit disappointing it seems like just a normal mount. If it is plat it should definitely have a special flourish or visual to justify it. Simply being ripped from the movies isn't a big enough feature IMO. Weapons should have built in tunings or other animations, mounts should have flourishes, and if they ever do plat armor you should get the entire armor from one box.