Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The real question is: Why bother with gear?? We did all there is in game!!

nepochop

So really, why bother getting your rank up and gear from crates?? What for? To do KOTFE? KOTET? Old flashpoints? New Uprisigns? What for? You can do it all once for story and done! There is no incentive to go through the gearing proccess. Only to do what? NiMs which we did 3 years ago? New HMs we did 2 years ago?

Yes, casuals now get "best gear" in game if they grind enough of easy content, but why? What for? I dont see any point in this!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So really, why bother getting your rank up and gear from crates?? What for? To do KOTFE? KOTET? Old flashpoints? New Uprisigns? What for? You can do it all once for story and done! There is no incentive to go through the gearing proccess. Only to do what? NiMs which we did 3 years ago? New HMs we did 2 years ago?

Yes, casuals now get "best gear" in game if they grind enough of easy content, but why? What for? I dont see any point in this!!

A reasonable question. I have decided for myself. Bought a founfer pack for RO and going to participate in CB1. After that - who know - either RO, FF, WoW or W*

A reasonable question. I have decided for myself. Bought a founfer pack for RO and going to participate in CB1. After that - who know - either RO, FF, WoW or W*

Dreadnought is also quite cool atm - if they are not carried away by some RNG boxes in the future. Okay it´s more like a short term thing like Overwatch, but i am looking towards RO too. Sadly rumor is it´s becoming F2P, which is always a bad sign for any game.

Problem is devs are getting lazy, content stretched out by impossible RNG odds. Sad this has arrived at western devs too.

You may have done all the stuff in the game, and if there's not enough new stuff to keep you personally interested in sticking around, then moving on is a perfectly legitimate decision. But not everyone has played out all the content this game has to offer yet.

Yes ofcourse but i do think that atleast 60% of the game population did do most of the stuff in game!! Also how hard is it to do stuff? PVP u just que and get all wzs eventually. GSF the same. Flashpoints, same u just have to do tactical solo and HM. Operations r the only hard thing u can do after getting skill and gear so overall its not hard and doesnt take long to experience it all in game. Event for a new player its a question of months till he does all stories and stuff mentioned above!!

Then what? Keep repeating it for gear? For what? To do that content again?

I don't see how this is different from the last years. At least now they have multiple difficulties in solo PvE too so there is the incentive. Same with HM FPs and whatever the uprisings will be.

How many people do you think are interested in NiM runs? Very few, or BW would have made more OPS.

People want to be strong, stronger, strongest. That has always been the primary incentive.

You may have done all the stuff in the game, and if there's not enough new stuff to keep you personally interested in sticking around, then moving on is a perfectly legitimate decision. But not everyone has played out all the content this game has to offer yet.

Wasn't that the point of DvL- to get players to experience all the areas the game has to offer?

Wasn't that the point of DvL- to get players to experience all the areas the game has to offer?

It's not "one and done" for all people. Many people enjoy repeating various areas. I have leveled over 100 characters, and will likely do many more.

I prefer to be over powered than under powered. I don't feel the need to prove anything to myself or others by completing content that is more difficult than I enjoy. With level sync I can be a level 65 on Tatooine (or much sooner). Having a nice set of legacy gear enhances my preferred solo playstyle. Repeating content also allows me a way to earn credits that can be used to buy gear, unlocks, dyes, etc for my next alt. It doesn't bother me that there may be more efficient or faster ways to earn credits or other items.

Being allowed to obtain the gear I want by playing the way I want is something I've always wanted from SWTOR.

Honestly, I haven;t done it all because once we start doing NIM content SOMEONE has to leave the group and we are back to HM... so I am missing most of the NIM achievements. And I will be because if this gearing is slower than running operations with competent group than I won't have any group in 5.0.

Though, let me clarify that I won't mind that casuals/solo players will receive BIS gear. Let them have it, I don't mind, but if my tank is missing shield after 40 crates(my sub runs out 02/2017) I really don't think this system will be something I will be keen on.

At least give me the basic gear granted(14 crates = full tank set), so we can grind the interesting hard mode content. Story mode is BORING. (also bolster) Most of the HM is boring with the exception of few bosses(namely Draxus, Bestia, Council, Revan, M&B, Cora - these bosses is where the fun is for our group(compared to the rest of HM bosses)) so let us run at least HM with the basic gear....

Edited by Deaconik

Yes, that is called MX Mode... where the existing stuff is tweaked and refreshed to appear "new enough" to allow a trickle of new players to come by and see it for low development costs... KotFE was clearly a budget deal, costing far less than 2.0 or 3.0 did to develop, so it exists to make the game not appear dead, even when it really is.

But I wouldn't get all excited about the new state of the game... it isn't a glowing endorsement of it...

Honestly, I haven;t done it all because once we start doing NIM content SOMEONE has to leave the group and we are back to HM... so I am missing most of the NIM achievements. And I will be because if this gearing is slower than running operations with competent group than I won't have any group in 5.0.

Though, let me clarify that I won't mind that casuals/solo players will receive BIS gear. Let them have it, I don't mind, but if my tank is missing shield after 40 crates(my sub runs out 02/2017) I really don't think this system will be something I will be keen on.

At least give me the basic gear granted(14 crates = full tank set), so we can grind the interesting hard mode content. Story mode is BORING. (also bolster) Most of the HM is boring with the exception of few bosses(namely Draxus, Bestia, Council, Revan, M&B, Cora - these bosses is where the fun is for our group(compared to the rest of HM bosses)) so let us run at least HM with the basic gear....

Exactly, if GCX command system gave 1st tier gear I wouldn't mind, and let the higher end gear drop from HM/NiM bosses. Solo players won't understand the difference between 1st and last tier, but people who want to do ops, and some of us who play more than one toon/class will be forever grinding.

For example someone has tank, heal and dps toons. The op needs a healer. The person now will not be able to change to healer because "Sorry haven't had time to do KOTET and grind the command crates for gear for my healer." So scrub the op, because most people won't have had time to grind gear for their toons.

The players that this system screws the most are raiders and PvPers (the few that are left now). We both need high end gear for our content, be it HM/NiM ops or ranked arenas. As the system was, even without prio ops, you could get at least 220 gear easily for your toons for ops, and 208 gear easily for ranked PvP. Minmaxing after that was quite easy with getting more gear, crafting or (in PvP) exchanging comms for the mods/enhancements you needed.

This way it screws all the end game content. And BW is just doing this because they are lazy and don't want to produce any meaningful content. And most people that I have talked to are really unhappy with the changes, even if they do not post in these forums.

I have 23 alts, had to make 8 for DvL (and yes I have achieved Legendary with DvL, only hardship I found was Battle of Rishi last boss, because I ended up with L50 tanks all the time, until I did it with guildies.). If armorings are not moddable, if we need command rank on each and every toon to legacy gear, it will be impossible to gear more that 2-3 max. And that may not even be the case even with the RNG system. Although some I rarely use, I try to have them in at least 216 gear now, just to be able to play something different from time to time. And I can gear up all my toons using 3-4 now, which won't be possible with the changes.

Edited by Tanitha

To enable you to get your kill 7777777 skytrooper achievment faster by allowing you to kill them in 2 hits instead of 3.....me thinks.

Well, considering the 1.5s GCD that would save you roughly 135 days of playtime. Seems pretty worthwhile to me :p

Personally I haven't done nearly everything there is to do in this game. I have never really tanked anything (exept for a few TFP and exactly 1 HMFP), I'm missing several HM-Bosses and all the NiM-Bosses, I've never set foot in ranked-pvp (and I don't think I ever will), I've never really played GSF in a bomber or gunship, I have yet to level all AC to max-level (missing mara, assasin and guardian)... I could go on, but fact is, I don't need any of this things as a reason to gear up. I gear up, because it's fun doing so and it sets a nice goalline.

Exactly, if GCX command system gave 1st tier gear I wouldn't mind, and let the higher end gear drop from HM/NiM bosses. Solo players won't understand the difference between 1st and last tier, but people who want to do ops, and some of us who play more than one toon/class will be forever grinding.

For example someone has tank, heal and dps toons. The op needs a healer. The person now will not be able to change to healer because "Sorry haven't had time to do KOTET and grind the command crates for gear for my healer." So scrub the op, because most people won't have had time to grind gear for their toons.

The players that this system screws the most are raiders and PvPers (the few that are left now). We both need high end gear for our content, be it HM/NiM ops or ranked arenas. As the system was, even without prio ops, you could get at least 220 gear easily for your toons for ops, and 208 gear easily for ranked PvP. Minmaxing after that was quite easy with getting more gear, crafting or (in PvP) exchanging comms for the mods/enhancements you needed.

This way it screws all the end game content. And BW is just doing this because they are lazy and don't want to produce any meaningful content. And most people that I have talked to are really unhappy with the changes, even if they do not post in these forums.

I have 23 alts, had to make 8 for DvL (and yes I have achieved Legendary with DvL, only hardship I found was Battle of Rishi last boss, because I ended up with L50 tanks all the time, until I did it with guildies.). If armorings are not moddable, if we need command rank on each and every toon to legacy gear, it will be impossible to gear more that 2-3 max. And that may not even be the case even with the RNG system. Although some I rarely use, I try to have them in at least 216 gear now, just to be able to play something different from time to time. And I can gear up all my toons using 3-4 now, which won't be possible with the changes.

KotET is NOT a requirement to get gear. You will earn CXP toward getting your gear for doing your ops, hm fp, h2's, etc. Apart from RNG concerns, you are still able to do the same things you used to do to earn gear.

Aren't the problems you described about not having gear for your healer there today? Today you would of needed to do multiple runs to grind out getting the gear.

Aren't the problems you described about not having gear for your healer there today? Today you would of needed to do multiple runs to grind out getting the gear.

You can get a toon with almost full 220 doing EV/KP HM, at least the set bonus. Put in some MK-2 crafted, and healer or any toon is ready in 2 hours max.

Exactly. I asked this very question in another thread.

I'm a casual/solo scrub who likes to putter around in the galaxy doing solo stuff. After raiding 3-4 times a week as the guild master of a social raiding guild in WoW for years, I didn't even want to start down that road in SWTOR. But I still respect those who DO want to do OPs or PvP on a more hardcore level. We all find different things fun.

Either way, casual scrubs like me don't need the BiS gear. Especially not with level sync. We're not going to notice any difference regardless of the gear, as long as we at least have some clue about what we're doing.

The OPrunners, the HC PvPers, they are the ones who notice even small changes in gear. You know, the difference between killing a boss or wiping, or landing that a big enough heal on the DPS guy that lets him/her live that split second longer to kill the opposing team's player.

Me? I'll be able to kill that mob faster. Not that I'll notice because the game is way too easy already.

Bioware says they want to make the game more accessible to new players. Well, here's food for thought: WE were new players back in the day, too. We learned to stay alive, we learned what gear to use and what skills to use and when to disrupt the enemy so we didn't die. The new players Bioware hopes will start playing soon are NOT more stupid than we were. They don't need to be coddled. They don't need to get BiS gear, either.

The only ones who need BiS gear are those who face the most difficult content. That should be hardcore PvPers and progression OPsrunners. ...but with no new OPs for years and no new challenges for the PvPers, I kinda don't see why they need BiS either anymore.

The bottom line is, casual scrubs like me should never get the best gear in the game. That gear should always be reserved for those who face the most difficult challenges in the game. Not only the "challenges" that take the longest time.

...The bottom line is, casual scrubs like me should never get the best gear in the game. That gear should always be reserved for those who face the most difficult challenges in the game. Not only the "challenges" that take the longest time.

Why are only they entitled to it? If they can earn their items in 2 days from challenging content, and it takes me 2 months of grinding on easier content, why should they care? The elite player was rewarded by getting their gear substantially sooner. The solo player will be rewarded for their grind.

How my solo character is geared and how I got it doesn't impact an elitist other than their e-peen.

Why are only they entitled to it? If they can earn their items in 2 days from challenging content, and it takes me 2 months of grinding on easier content, why should they care? The elite player was rewarded by getting their gear substantially sooner. The solo player will be rewarded for their grind.

How my solo character is geared and how I got it doesn't impact an elitist other than their e-peen.

The problem is not there. The problem is RNG. Since they said it's totally random. You can open 500 crates and still not be able to have one full set of gear. And it might not make much difference for a SOLO player, but set bonus makes a lot of difference for PvP and for ops.

And also they worked this RNG screwed up system, instead of concentrating on new content. 9 chapters of KOTET, which will be finished in 1-2 hours? Then just grind the same old stuff to get your gear, to play the same old stuff we've been doing for 2-4 years? And without the certainty of getting what we might need?

You can get a toon with almost full 220 doing EV/KP HM, at least the set bonus. Put in some MK-2 crafted, and healer or any toon is ready in 2 hours max.

I realize you were just answering my question, so this isn't really directed at you...

But this sounds like a problem that needs fixing. With the new system, harder content will reward gear faster than easier content. Just because its a slower rate than it is today, doesn't mean that its a bad change. Especially if its currently at a ridiculously short time now.

The problem is not there. The problem is RNG. Since they said it's totally random. You can open 500 crates and still not be able to have one full set of gear. And it might not make much difference for a SOLO player, but set bonus makes a lot of difference for PvP and for ops.

And also they worked this RNG screwed up system, instead of concentrating on new content. 9 chapters of KOTET, which will be finished in 1-2 hours? Then just grind the same old stuff to get your gear, to play the same old stuff we've been doing for 2-4 years? And without the certainty of getting what we might need?

It feels like you're changing the topic. I can't argue that random sucks. But my argument had nothing to do about that, but why should we gear, and who should be allowed to have access to top tier gear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.