Gearing Changes in Eternal Throne

EricMusco

Thanks, Eric, for clarifying this. Now I have finally closure with SWTOR and can deinstall since progression raiding is now officially dead.

yes now it is official.

i wont deinstall the game but stop playing it.

i cant delete the 16 characters i made and mean lot to me.

looks like they started the last chapter/phase of the game now to finally chase off the rest of players.

why not pull the plug and then its over with swtor ??

it wouldnt hurt as much as it does now watching you guys killing the game slowly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need HM gear to doearly NiM. Optimally, the final bosses of a NiM would require NiM gear, but the early bosses would not.

Because the handful of stat points is much more important that skill, or teamwork, or knowledge of the boss mechanics, clearly.

I don't trust anyone to be able to do the finetuning necessary to differentiate different bosses at that level of granularity in an MMO.

And if some player want to do both PVE and PVP in game, he still will must have 2 difference set of armor, because in PVE gear all exept healer need about 10% accuracy to 100% hit mobs/boss, but in PVP players do not need accuracy at all (i think exept marksman sniper).

It is very difficult to find civilized words to describe my impression.

But let me be prophet: while your declared aim is "to make game easier", you reaching two goals instead: veterans are leaving and almost no new people are joining.

New opses? No.

New warzones? No.

New abilities? No

Castration and lobotromy? Yes, yes, yes!! SO EKSITIN!!

New storylines? No. Classic stories were really epic and uniq, now we have standard rails dull dull dull DULL scripted scenery - KOTfE is anecdotically boring and I dont think that KOTET will be dramatically different in that aspect, since your team is more and more addicted to heavy chemicals (as we can clearly see).

Exellent suicide. Servers are depopulating with increasing rate. Then you ban all cashbots, you will see it too.

Edited by TangaroaOnDaMoon

So this game will become grind machine, lets grind for the sake of grinding some of us that are here since launch or close to it are tired of grinding. We grind everything at 3.0, then we were forced to grind again at 4.0 and now we are forced to grind again at 5.0, but just for sake of grinding i don't see the point in that.

Grinding new uprising pass achievements also don't see the point. All that don't solve the issue of lack of new content. Don't get me wrong i like the story mmo should have it but as person who got 34 alts how many times can u do it before your head explode. I remember that u guys have promise us when we had to wait 1y to get Revan ops that we wont ever have to wait that long again so y i guess we didn't wait 1y we are waiting 2y now and it seem we will continue to do so. We try to keep group together but its hard we already have to pull resources from few guilds to get overplayed old stuff going i don't see that happening in new expansion without new group content.

The new box system could be nice some ppl would get some extra stuff from time to time just leave rest of the loot where it is. Got feeling that that idea was taken from Division underground section but even they weren't crazy enough to kill other sources of gear. So happy hunting with grinding over and over and over again for many years to come.

Also if u guys think that free top **** gear will get u to NIM content u can forget about it. Any experienced raider will tell that gear is only part of equation u still need to know how to do it and no just reading tactics on Dufly isn't enough. Specially when those guys usually wipe groups on sm/hm stuff.

As i said i never mind free stuff but give u something to work on pass achievements.

Edited by micmitja

Well, that's not a tautology to me but also it's not true. You can do any content to gain points from what I understand and ultimately it's the points that give you gear boxes. The tier of the gear depends on the level you have in GC.

Of course once you can do NiM it will give more points than easier content so it will help you progress faster at that point. Eric was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic in his explanation but I do not think he meant what you state here.

I was highlighting the arguments of the supporters of the "old way" where you have to do NiM content to get NiM gear; not the "new way" of gearing. I agree with your assessment.

Which reminded me of another issue I have with the "hardest gear from hardest content only" argument. Not everyone is skilled enough to make it to that level of play, their skill cap is lower and will never get high enough to do NiM content. For the lower skilled, their "progression" will be against lower content. If the minor edge that "top-most gear" gives is necessary for NiM raiders to advance against the last boss of a NiM operation, to be the best they can be; the lower-skilled players can use that edge to be the best they can be, against the last bosses they can beat at their personal skill cap.

I like all of the changes announced for the expansion EXCEPT the gearing change. I am worried that the Boxes might be RNG too much. Do you get a complete set of gear from the boxes? Is it only one piece for each box? Will I get only tank mods, hilt, etc... or will I get some pieces that are DPS gear (even though I am currently specced to tank)? For PVP, you're removing expertise...I'm fine with that, however, what about accuracy? We'll still need a PVE set of gear and a PVP set of gear because you don't need accuracy in PVP. If the goal was to make it easier for someone to jump straight into PVP, then I think the mark was missed regarding accuracy (no pun intended). Like I said, all of the changes look great, except the gearing one. Please provide more information about the crates. Heck, do a live stream and open some crates at different ranks so we can see the gear that will be awarded. Thanks for reading.

So you would lock healers and tanks behind Eternal Championship wall so they can do the DPS check there. Cool idea! I think this should be implemented so all the DPS players spamming fleet for healers or tanks all day long can wait even longer.

I have been 1 year out of swtor and since back have done the Eternal Championship all 10 round on 2 tanks and 1 DPS. Bosses 6 and 7 are deffo easier to do with tank. The only real DPS check for tank in the whole Championship is on 9th boss and I managed to do it with my 3.0. gear (198). Well it took me 3-4-5 tries. And i am completely not the best player out there.

And on the main topic I have only 2 questions (maybe am not the first to ask them as i had not read all):

1. You say the gear that drops from crates is random. How you can assure that somebody can gear up they char ever then ?

2. Have concern about HM and NiM (whatever the new names are) operations. Will the points be granted on killing a boss or on completing the operation? Am afraid that if on op completion, it will become some mass killing of last bosses only.

When you can't even be a loyal subscriber and earn your gear for your toons and have to deal with random pack for each alt instead of gearing in a planned way with your guild mates - no thanks.

I'll find a new hobby a better use for my money.

Best post so far.

I see two issues with the gearing being random.

First some are luckier with item drops then others and you will inevitably end up with lots of repeat items. I know you said you could disintegrate them and add points for your next crate but if I am a casual player and depending on the time it takes to get the next crate might mean that I will never have the gear at least before I could turn in the Crystals for whatever I needed next.

Second if it is based on AVC and not on the role for the AVC meaning as a Guardian random would be tank drops or damage. I already have issues doing HM Flashpoints and getting tank gear all the time. I don't want to just keep grinding to hopefully get the drop I need. Too much wasted time in to not be rewarded will defiantly turn me off to playing. guess sentinels and snipers will never have any issues just all the other classes that have multiple roles.

I would just like to say that this model of loot was already done in SWTOR with PvP gear at launch of the game. It was infuriating and it was quickly gotten rid of because of how horrible it was. Why would your bring that model of gear progression back.

Last question what is happening to the Odessen vendor that has the rank six companion gifts will they still have the gifts for sale just for credits instead. not having some items purchasable by crystals is going to hurt sources of income for some of us.

Current Commendations will be going away, we will have more details in the coming weeks on their conversion.

• Yup, the drops will be random. The item type is determined by your Advanced Class and the item rating is determined by your Command Rank (higher rank = higher item rating). Keep in mind that you can always earn more Crates and that you can disintegrate any duplicate or unwanted items into CXP to get your next Crate faster.
  • Yes. All end-game gear (level 70+) can be earned by doing almost any activity. However, someone doing Nightmare (Master) level Operations, as an example, will get there substantially faster than someone doing easy/solo content.

Just so we're clear then - if you're on a server with low frequency of PvP pops, you're going to have to PVE to remain competitive in warzones?

Just so we're clear then - if you're on a server with low frequency of PvP pops, you're going to have to PVE to remain competitive in warzones?

Sure! You will be forced to do something you don't want to do!

I mean the idea behind this change is amazing! It makes so much sense! I mean why could they not have done this sooner?

I mean the idea behind this change is amazing! It makes so much sense! I mean why could they not have done this sooner?

Because they are only on step 2 of the Universal Successful Business Plan :

Step 1: Establish a customer base.

Step 2, Evacuate your bladder in a glorious, endless shower of radiant golden wonderment, all over said customers.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit?

Edited by Sunyavadin

Because they are only on step 2 of the Universal Successful Business Plan :

Step 1: Establish a customer base.

Step 2, Evacuate your bladder in a glorious, endless shower of radiant golden wonderment, all over said customers.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit?

You took the bait!

:p

OOOH! Do I win something?

Is it a random box of loot that I already have and which isn't for my spec anyway?

Yes! And you will also get that same random loot for the next 3 months! You will also like playing this game! You also will not complain! You will also be forced to do something you really do not want to do! And you shall not question us! Do you understand?

P.S it also has a CD of 1,500 in game hours! You can reduce the time in half by buying "special" unlocks using the CC!

Have a nice day.

It is so horrible and even insulting for all veteran players. The game turned out to silly grinding that does not require skills or brains, but only an endless repeating of same content. It looks like gear from now on will only reflect an amount of time that player can spend in the game, grinding. Also, is there any reason to do most hard content, if after hours of wiping somewhere on Brontes NiM you will get the same reward as someone who just did some easy tactical FPs during this time, and that reward will be RANDOM? Any real reason to do this? Any reason to have constant raid team from now on, if no certain gear drop from bosses?

But BW, please think about it. To get the best gear was one of the goals of this game. From now it will be possible only after long weeks of grinding. But who has time to grind some hours every day? Mainly children or those ones who has no work and family. Let me say, those have not much money as well, so you are just reducing amount of people who are ready to pay for sub, when you literally exiling solvent people. Because, after such news, the huge amount of mature and adequate players will just leave this game.

Those changes... sounds not inspiring at all, just completely absurd. I am already blaming myself that I paid my sub for next 6 months, should've wait till news. Was worst idea ever to pay. :(

Lets just hope we can trade in our old comms for new crates of gear. - Coz I got tons of everything.

1/4M WZ comms

1000s of crystal comms of all flavours.

thousands of Space comms.

And if we can only trade them for credits, 1/3 BN credits - so I don't exactly need them either.

Only problem I see is where/how you get BiS gear for whatever content you're doing.

WZ comms are easy to farm nowadays..... It's not like it's ever been a big bar to PvP. Use appropriate gear to bolster to earn WZ comms then buy gear with WZ comms. - There that can't be hard to understand.

OR

Do HM FPs or level up alliance contacts /or craft to get gear for SM ops. Use SM ops gear to do the next difficulty level up. - That's not hard either.

TBH with level synch 99% of the solo content isn't really gear dependent anyway- Those for whom gear is important must know how the system works..... So why the hell change it?

I played the game since the beta and I will quit now. My hope was that they maybe bring new operations or at least throw out the whole tactical and solo content ideas. I mean its a "Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game" and not a solo RPG....

New Flashpoints with the old system like Tank, Heal + 2 DD would have been great. But now, that they pretty much terminated the whole progress and lowered the level so that every idiot can get end gear, it makes no sense to continue to play this game. Maybe the devs will someday listen to the veteran player base and will make the game worth again.

That being said,

have fun you lot ;)

Don't worry : after several months of finding only dps gear in your tanks and healers crates, you won't even manage to reach Brontes NiM. :D

This.

I am lucky since my main is marauder, so only dps gear for me. But after grinding for days I will be getting that 15th belt which I don't need, and can't even legacy over to another mara/sentinel alt.

My dps PT and sorc might get even more screwed though. Getting tank/heal gear for dps. Hell yeah. Let me dps in tank gear! That's an idea!

Not everyone is skilled enough to make it to that level of play, their skill cap is lower and will never get high enough to do NiM content. For the lower skilled, their "progression" will be against lower content. If the minor edge that "top-most gear" gives is necessary for NiM raiders to advance against the last boss of a NiM operation, to be the best they can be; the lower-skilled players can use that edge to be the best they can be, against the last bosses they can beat at their personal skill cap.

That's a nice sentiment but you have to understand in practice it's not true. The fundamental difference is that for a skilled player, the gear is indeed optimizing good play. For a lesser skilled play, it's expected to substitute for good play. It does not that and, as such, is pointless.

This game "should" emphasize sound play rather than gear. Then anyone can have any gear they'd like. What you call "not skilled enough" I call lazy. People can read their abilities today. they're there, a click away. they just choose not to. Guides are everywhere. Might as well be nowhere for how many folks look at them. If a "lower skilled" player wants to "progress" at lower levels, the first thing they work on should not be their gear, and IMO the studio is steering them wrong in this regard.

For the "lower skill" player, this is not about getting the gear to progress through anything. This is about shinies, and you know it.

SNIP..

When you can't even be a loyal subscriber and earn your gear for your toons and have to deal with random pack for each alt instead of gearing in a planned way with your guild mates - no thanks.

I'll find a new hobby a better use for my money.

Thats such a true and honest statement about SWTOR, I need to work that into my sig somehow.

I said that back when 4.0 dropped and level sync came out... and I was laughed at... by a lot of people no longer in the game... :(

You're right of course, gear has become pointless, I don't even bother gearing up anymore, you get enough random drops and crap in the world to take care of everything while leveling, then get to level 65 and... gear for what? End game content? Meh, done it all, not interested...

I have a few DvL toons that are level 65 and in random greens and blues... haven't even bothered spending common data crystals to put 208 on them, why bother? Don't need it for anything...

There are people playing the game who have not "done it all." IF this gets more people overall into SM Ops queues, I'd be OK with that.