Extortion of returning players

LetThemEatCrack

Now.. for some productive advice for a returning player, from the active thread on the issue of servers, that the OP could not bother to use (probably because he wanted click bait based on accusing the studio of actually "extorting" players).

Here is what you do. Create a throwaway character on several servers, trying to get the names you have on your main server, or at least names you can live with in the event that you name is already taken.

Using those throw aways, check the pulse of those possible destination servers. Once you find a server you want to go to use that 5K CC you have to transfer starting from highest to lowest.

When you transfer a character your entire legacy goes with them. This is how I am LL50 on every NA server but only really played on two NA servers.

Granted that 5K would have been more effective during the 10 month 90CC transfer sale, but you were on break. That was your decision. Your current decision is how can YOU make the best of your gaming experience. You have 7 toons, but you only listed three that warrant a transfer. You can be level 40 by the time you leave Dromund Kass/Coruscant - so anything below "class story completion" can stay right where they are.

You probably don't want to hear that, but your gaming experience is literally in your hands. If you must move all 7, then move the five highest (using the throw away method to get the best name) and then drop $19.95 for 2400 CC and be done with it.

It might leave a bad taste in your mouth at first, but I promise it will be better than staying on a dead server hoping BW takes mercy on you at some undetermined date.

-source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=895694&page=9 Edited by Andryah

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now.. for some productive advice for a returning player, from the active thread on the issue of servers, that the OP could not bother to use (probably because he wanted click bait based on accusing the studio of actually "extorting" players).

]

So you're saying anyone who has a problem (that you personally don't agree with) is just creating click bait to get attention? Alright then.

And i'm absolutely amazed that you think "good advice" is for a brand new player to an MMO to create throwaway characters on every single server to check their populations. You realise almost no one does this, right? Metrics don't lie.

Lesson: New player comes to a game, they play for a bit, realise the server is dead, then they leave. Simple as that.

Observation: From your response in those threads alone I can tell you have absolutely zero knowledge or education on Advertising and Marketing and consumer behaviour.

Edited by DarthWoad

At least I admit there is fault on both sides of the question. ;) In this topic, there is fault on both sides, but the OP wants all fault to rest with the studio. {Yep.. he has no responsibility to look out for his own interests as a consumer}.
Trade & exchange worked the same since humanity invented it. No one got time to research everything they acquire. If the seller is blatantly duping the client then there's no both-part blame here. Simple. The OP who's paying money to Bioware for a promised MMO experience with other players has no responsibility to create that MMO experience for themselves, Bioware took that task upon themselves and the OP paid for it. The OP can complain all day long. Had Bioware promised "maybe MMO experience if the client picks correct server after extensive research", then the fault would lie on both parts.

Not to even mention how Bioware removed popularity-indicators recently from the game, making it even more tricky for the players to gauge server populations lol.

There is a difference between blame and contribution.

Contribution: Sometimes there are situations where a person's actions contributed to the overall result and in the future, they could take action that will likely give them a different result.

Blame: Who is at fault for what happened. Especially as it pertains to law, which is where blame is most important.

A person can contribute to a result (say, crossing the street at a crosswalk without checking for idiots who aren't checking for pedestrians when they turn). Then the person gets hit. In the future, the pedestrian could check more closely, so they are less likely to get hit. But they are not at all at fault for getting hit nonetheless.

Then you have situations where you might think the pedestrian could be contributing to the result, but they aren't capable of doing so. For instance, a blind person crossing at a crosswalk can't check for idiot drivers who are turning. If that blind person gets hit, it's not their fault at all... same result. And you can't pin the contribution advice on them either, since they can't actually check. You can maybe advise them to wave their cane around a bit and hope for the best.

So all this stuff about fault and whatnot... the blame does lie with the studio on this 100%. Sorry, Charlie, but it does. However, yes, one could argue that in terms of contribution, a player could feasibly do research so that they are less likely to be screwed over. This touches on a deeper argument though, which is... if every customer for a product researched it heavily before use most would never buy and the economy would collapse overnight. Neurotically cautious customers would be paralyzed by the myriad of flaws in most products.

The whole point of salesmanship and marketing is to get people buying before their analytical brain weighs in. Or at least to catch it at the pass and say, "Hey, I know your analytical brain is chiming in right now, but look at it this way.... here's all the stuff you're getting, here's how great of a deal it is," etc. This is not the case because all sales and marketing is dishonest or something (some is, some is more innocent), but because every product is made by humans and has tons of flaws, so any deeply rational analysis is going to find some reasons to hesitate.

So you're saying anyone who has a problem (that you personally don't agree with) is just creating click bait to get attention? Alright then.

Unless you can document someone somehow showing up at the OP's house with some weapon or another and forcing him to pay his sub, then yes, this topic is clickbait. Until such time as you can show that, the rest of your arguments are invalid.

Unless you can document someone somehow showing up at the OP's house with some weapon or another and forcing him to pay his sub, then yes, this topic is clickbait. Until such time as you can show that, the rest of your arguments are invalid.

Not everything is clickbait, for heaven's sake. People use language like this in casual conversation sometimes, to vent their frustration, or simply because it's the first word that comes to mind that sounds like the meaning will be conveyed. Words evolve in meaning all the time because people develop colloquial meanings for them. In this case, the OP probably meant "swindle" or "trick" and the context of his post supports this. To hone in on his imprecise use of the word extort is off-topic diversionary nonsense and ignores the actual content of his post, which explains his concerns in clear detail.

It's like... a guy runs into the ER. "Doctor, doctor, my head is bleeding." (he's holding a hand to his nose).

Doctor: "Son, your nose is bleeding." *shakes head* "Kids these days..."

Patient: "So are you going to fix my head?!?"

Doctor: *laughs* "I can't fix your head, son. I can fix your nose."

Patient: "That's what I said, my head! My nose is part of my head!"

Doctor: "Yes, but you said head and it's your nose. If it was a head wound, it would be more dire."

Patient: "Doc, you can see my nose bleeding. For gods sakes, would you just fix it?"

Doctor: "I'll fix it when you learn to call a nose by its actual name."

Patient: "Fine, it's a nose. My nose is what's bleeding."

Doctor: "Next patient!"

Patient: "Hey, you said you'd fix it!"

Doctor: "I don't have all day for people to get words right."

Not everything is clickbait, for heaven's sake. People use language like this in casual conversation sometimes, to vent their frustration, or simply because it's the first word that comes to mind that sounds like the meaning will be conveyed. Words evolve in meaning all the time because people develop colloquial meanings for them. In this case, the OP probably meant "swindle" or "trick" and the context of his post supports this. To hone in on his imprecise use of the word extort is off-topic diversionary nonsense and ignores the actual content of his post, which explains his concerns in clear detail.

It's like... a guy runs into the ER. "Doctor, doctor, my head is bleeding." (he's holding a hand to his nose).

Doctor: "Son, your nose is bleeding." *shakes head* "Kids these days..."

Patient: "So are you going to fix my head?!?"

Doctor: *laughs* "I can't fix your head, son. I can fix your nose."

Patient: "That's what I said, my head! My nose is part of my head!"

Doctor: "Yes, but you said head and it's your nose. If it was a head wound, it would be more dire."

Patient: "Doc, you can see my nose bleeding. For gods sakes, would you just fix it?"

Doctor: "I'll fix it when you learn to call a nose by its actual name."

Patient: "Fine, it's a nose. My nose is what's bleeding."

Doctor: "Next patient!"

Patient: "Hey, you said you'd fix it!"

Doctor: "I don't have all day for people to get words right."

How people talk amongst their friends is not an issue here. The issue here is posting "I was extorted into paying my sub" on a public forum. You don't need a sub to read this forum, you see, only to post. If I talked to people on these forums the way I talk to my friends, and them to me, I'd have been perma banned about 3 days after I joined. He wants to talk about how he was deceived, all the while deceiving everyone that sees his topic on the forum, if they don't read it, and come to realize the level of hyperbole in his chosen topic title.

So, unless you can prove that BW or EA is actually extorting us, this topic is clickbait.

How people talk amongst their friends is not an issue here. The issue here is posting "I was extorted into paying my sub" on a public forum. You don't need a sub to read this forum, you see, only to post. If I talked to people on these forums the way I talk to my friends, and them to me, I'd have been perma banned about 3 days after I joined. He wants to talk about how he was deceived, all the while deceiving everyone that sees his topic on the forum, if they don't read it, and come to realize the level of hyperbole in his chosen topic title.

So, unless you can prove that BW or EA is actually extorting us, this topic is clickbait.

It sounds to me like you want an excuse to talk down to the OP. Read the first sentence of his post and you get the context immediately. It's not complicated.

Since we're doing this whole "proof" nonsense... unless you can prove that the OP used the word extort with the express intent of drawing in readers with a sensational title, you don't have a leg to stand on calling it clickbait. Something isn't automatically clickbait because somebody calls it clickbait.

What new player would check to see if they're joining a dead server? I feel sorry for them. Maybe this thread the devs will take note and do something.

OP is a RETURNING player and talking specifically about RETURNING players and trying to stop them simply cuz they were too lazy do to minimal research.

However, since you mentioned new players and don't think much of their ability to check something out first, I would like to believe that any new player would do some basic research on whatever game they're interested in before just diving in. But, maybe I'm expecting too much in hoping for some common sense cuz I guess it's just easier to look no ways before crossing the street and then raging at the city when you get hit by a tractor.

New player or returning player, I feel sorry for you that you feel sorry for them cuz they couldn't be bothered to do minimal research.

Edited by PetFish

It sounds to me like you want an excuse to talk down to the OP. Read the first sentence of his post and you get the context immediately. It's not complicated.

Since we're doing this whole "proof" nonsense... unless you can prove that the OP used the word extort with the express intent of drawing in readers with a sensational title, you don't have a leg to stand on calling it clickbait. Something isn't automatically clickbait because somebody calls it clickbait.

Click bait

Hey, you're right, he's not getting paid, or is he, for page views, but the sensationalist title is designed specifically to get people to click it.

But damn that pesky English language, getting in the way of agendas: Extortion.

Now, what in the first post supports the claim in the topic title again?

Returning players, lured by promotional material for the new content, are finding themselves trapped in dead servers; servers in which the entire active population could well be counted on fingers and toes. This totally nullifies the MMO experience, making pvp, group pve, and player interaction nearly impossible, and forces these returning players to either start from scratch on a new server, buy a maxed out character, or pay out the nose to transfer their characters to a server where multiplayer in any form is actually possible. This is an extremely lame tactic for extorting additional money from returning players, and that's precisely what it is, as there's no other reason to keep dead servers open.

Nope, no where does it say that they either beat him up, or threatened to. Once again, damn that pesky English language, right?

Hope you feel good about yourself. Do you normally condescend to new posters?

What new player would check to see if they're joining a dead server? I feel sorry for them. Maybe this thread the devs will take note and do something.

Any new players that are actually looking for group content instead of going "ooo, Star Wars"?

Click bait

Hey, you're right, he's not getting paid, or is he, for page views, but the sensationalist title is designed specifically to get people to click it.

But damn that pesky English language, getting in the way of agendas: Extortion.

Now, what in the first post supports the claim in the topic title again?

Nope, no where does it say that they either beat him up, or threatened to. Once again, damn that pesky English language, right?

You can't prove the title is "designed specifically to get people to click on it," unless the OP states that that was his intention.

As for the word extortion, apparently you misunderstood. I wasn't saying his post describes extortion. I was saying it immediately describes the context of his complaint and what his complaint really is. So to hammer on about the word extortion is diversionary from the actual complaint at hand, which the OP succinctly and quickly described... server populations and server transfers are in a bad place for returning players, unless said player is lucky enough to have all of their characters on a high pop server.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that research would solve this problem. It would solve the problem of people getting back into the game before they realize it, but that doesn't help the game. Hinders it, in fact, if they research and then don't come back at all.

So to reiterate, this one is on the studio if they want the game's pop to be healthy and they need to do something about it eventually.

You can't prove the title is "designed specifically to get people to click on it," unless the OP states that that was his intention.

As for the word extortion, apparently you misunderstood. I wasn't saying his post describes extortion. I was saying it immediately describes the context of his complaint and what his complaint really is. So to hammer on about the word extortion is diversionary from the actual complaint at hand, which the OP succinctly and quickly described... server populations and server transfers are in a bad place for returning players, unless said player is lucky enough to have all of their characters on a high pop server.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that research would solve this problem. It would solve the problem of people getting back into the game before they realize it, but that doesn't help the game. Hinders it, in fact, if they research and then don't come back at all.

So to reiterate, this one is on the studio if they want the game's pop to be healthy and they need to do something about it eventually.

It's not diversionary. I didn't interject the word into the dialog. The OP did in the topic title. So, in fact, extortion is actually on topic, even if it doesn't apply to his situation in any way, shape or form. Rationalization and justification aside, the only reason to use such strong language is to get attention, and what do you know, it's working. Isn't that a payout in and of itself, hence click bait?

So all this stuff about fault and whatnot... the blame does lie with the studio on this 100%. Sorry, Charlie, but it does. However, yes, one could argue that in terms of contribution, a player could feasibly do research so that they are less likely to be screwed over. This touches on a deeper argument though, which is... if every customer for a product researched it heavily before use most would never buy and the economy would collapse overnight. Neurotically cautious customers would be paralyzed by the myriad of flaws in most products.

The whole point of salesmanship and marketing is to get people buying before their analytical brain weighs in. Or at least to catch it at the pass and say, "Hey, I know your analytical brain is chiming in right now, but look at it this way.... here's all the stuff you're getting, here's how great of a deal it is," etc. This is not the case because all sales and marketing is dishonest or something (some is, some is more innocent), but because every product is made by humans and has tons of flaws, so any deeply rational analysis is going to find some reasons to hesitate.

Can you specify what the studio is to blame for? Low Population servers? Transfer fees? I'm unclear as to what specifically you're referring to when saying it's the company's fault.

While, of course, it would be ridiculous to expect customers to do so much research to arm themselves against nearly every fault... it's not at ALL too much to expect them to at least do cursory research to arm themselves against OBVIOUS faults. Servers having drastically lower population, 5 years into a game's life, is not only a common sense issue (people should expect that many servers will die out over time), it's also completely normal within the industry.

The only way, in my opinion, Bioware is at "fault" for this is if they're intentionally doing it to try t o get money. That would be a case of Bioware not helping the game to try to squeeze money out, and that could rightfully said to place at least some fault on Bioware. That doesn't mean subbing before checking things out doesn't also merit some blame.

In the case of the OP, it is quite clear it is not Bioware's fault, but his own. I'm not trying to be mean to the op, but let's not all pretend it's otherwise that what it is... It was flat out stupid (unless he didn't mind wasting his money) to pay for a sub before even seeing what the game was like in it's current state. Game is free, he could have downloaded to check. He could have read the forums to see the vast amount of complaints, or google searched specifically what he needed. If he's too lazy to do that, then unfortunately that's completely his own fault, not Bioware's. It's like saying a company absolutely must put "warning, contents may be hot" on the cups they sell their coffee in. If a person buys coffee without specifying it's hot, and doesn't expect it to be hot, you don't blame the company when he burns himself with it.

However, since you mentioned new players and don't think much of their ability to check something out first, I would like to believe that any new player would do some basic research on whatever game they're interested in before just diving in. But, maybe I'm expecting too much in hoping for some common sense cuz I guess it's just easier to look no ways before crossing the street and then raging at the city when you get hit by a tractor.

This a thousand times. Not to get all hipster anti-modern society on everyone, but this is the exact issue with modern society. People expect everyone ELSE to ensure their maximum enjoyment of life at all times. Sometimes you do have some personal responsibility to make sure you're getting the right product and it'll work for you in the way you expect it to (shocking, I KNOW).

It's not diversionary. I didn't interject the word into the dialog. The OP did in the topic title. So, in fact, extortion is actually on topic, even if it doesn't apply to his situation in any way, shape or form. Rationalization and justification aside, the only reason to use such strong language is to get attention, and what do you know, it's working. Isn't that a payout in and of itself, hence click bait?

No, that's not the only reason to use such strong language. Like I said, in casual conversation, sometimes people use that kind of language out of frustration, or because it's the first word coming to mind that is close to the intended meaning.

It's diversionary because the topic is about being trapped on dead servers. But thanks for bumping it.

Can you specify what the studio is to blame for? Low Population servers? Transfer fees? I'm unclear as to what specifically you're referring to when saying it's the company's fault.

While, of course, it would be ridiculous to expect customers to do so much research to arm themselves against nearly every fault... it's not at ALL too much to expect them to at least do cursory research to arm themselves against OBVIOUS faults. Servers having drastically lower population, 5 years into a game's life, is not only a common sense issue (people should expect that many servers will die out over time), it's also completely normal within the industry.

The only way, in my opinion, Bioware is at "fault" for this is if they're intentionally doing it to try t o get money. That would be a case of Bioware not helping the game to try to squeeze money out, and that could rightfully said to place at least some fault on Bioware. That doesn't mean subbing before checking things out doesn't also merit some blame.

In the case of the OP, it is quite clear it is not Bioware's fault, but his own. I'm not trying to be mean to the op, but let's not all pretend it's otherwise that what it is... It was flat out stupid (unless he didn't mind wasting his money) to pay for a sub before even seeing what the game was like in it's current state. Game is free, he could have downloaded to check. He could have read the forums to see the vast amount of complaints, or google searched specifically what he needed. If he's too lazy to do that, then unfortunately that's completely his own fault, not Bioware's. It's like saying a company absolutely must put "warning, contents may be hot" on the cups they sell their coffee in. If a person buys coffee without specifying it's hot, and doesn't expect it to be hot, you don't blame the company when he burns himself with it.

The studio is to blame for making no effort to communicate the population state of servers and making no ongoing effort to handle server population issues, while continuing to market their content as if nothing is wrong.

If you look at this from BW's viewpoint, thinking of the OP as stupid for buying without careful research would be, well... a stupid perspective on the situation. They want people to buy without thinking. Too much thinking loses sales. But they do need to have a stove in place that won't randomly burn people on re-entry.

As for coffee, depending on how hot it's made, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to put a warning on it. It depends on whether it goes over a certain threshold, I think. Like if the temp is so hot it could burn you on contact, having no warning could get you in a lawsuit. There was a thing with McDonald's and a lawsuit, and everybody kinda laughed at the person suing, but they legit got burns from spilling the coffee and if I recall the story details correctly, they were just trying to get money from McDonalds to pay for medical bills, not some over-the-top "get rich" lawsuit (the latter is more what it was perceived as... most likely that narrative was pushed by McD's PR department).

The studio is to blame for making no effort to communicate the population state of servers and making no ongoing effort to handle server population issues, while continuing to market their content as if nothing is wrong.

How exactly do they communicate this? Slap a warning in their launcher "most of our servers are dead, please keep that in mind"? It's both bad for business and a touch silly. The general server population info is available from 3rd party sites, simple google search is all that is required.

If you look at this from BW's viewpoint, thinking of the OP as stupid for buying without careful research would be, well... a stupid perspective on the situation. They want people to buy without thinking. Too much thinking loses sales. But they do need to have a stove in place that won't randomly burn people on re-entry.

No from Bioware's perspective it is still stupid, just a level of stupid that benefits them (though I'm not so cynical to think that's their intention here, perhaps it is I don't know, but call me romantic I'll wait to see evidence they specifically intend that sort of thing before I accuse them of it or believe it to be true).

Regardless, it doesn't randomly burn people on re-entry, as they are fully capable of checking to see if they will get burned beforehand. If they pounce without thinking--and in a modern market you are expected to think--then that's negligence, not Bioware getting you burned. Again, we're not toddlers, we may occasionally need some help/protection but being adults we're expected to be able to navigate the world ourselves. Doing cursory amounts of research before buying is a very common, simple practice that would absolutely cut out the OP's issues immediately.

As for coffee, depending on how hot it's made, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to put a warning on it. It depends on whether it goes over a certain threshold, I think. Like if the temp is so hot it could burn you on contact, having no warning could get you in a lawsuit. There was a thing with McDonald's and a lawsuit, and everybody kinda laughed at the person suing, but they legit got burns from spilling the coffee and if I recall the story details correctly, they were just trying to get money from McDonalds to pay for medical bills, not some over-the-top "get rich" lawsuit (the latter is more what it was perceived as... most likely that narrative was pushed by McD's PR department).

Oh I agree, I'm talking normal levels of coffee heat, which of course will still hurt if it spills on you. If you get it TOO hot that's one thing, but not expecting it to be quite hot? That's another. As an aside, I recall that story as well though I didn't look into it at all. Admittedly I must have bought the PR spin hook line and sinker because I was pretty much just laughing at the whole situation.

This is the point, MMOs normally go through population issues. That's common. That's expected. Bioware gives some indication of this by letting their server pop status be tracked. If they kept this secret beyond reason, again we'd have a problem. But there are multiple ways of attaining this information beyond the REALLY simple one of simply logging into the game.

Another thing noting is that, while leaving low pop servers around might seem like a bit of a trap by Bioware, a good few people do intentionally choose those servers. I often make that sort of choice in MMOs because I like to enjoy the solo content at my own pace, not worrying about fighting over quest resources and the like, but also maintaining some option for group activity. I mostly play on Harbinger (Mass Effect 2 made me do it I swear), I also play on Bastion and although it's super, super dead there's still quite a good amount of fun to be had there. The hyper population route is the most commonly preferred route by MMO players, but it's by no means universal.

It's clickbait. If the title had asked for server transfers to be reduced in price (plenty of those available to post in), then it wouldn't be seen as such. However "Extortion of returning players"

extortion

ɪkˈstɔːʃ(ə)n,ɛk-/

noun

noun: extortion; plural noun: extortions

the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

"he used bribery and extortion to build himself a huge, art-stuffed mansion"

synonyms: demanding money with menaces, exaction, extraction, blackmail; shakedown

"he was arrested on a charge of extortion"

At no point has the original poster been threatened or forced to pay BioWare money. At no point. Ever.

Until you can redefine the word "extortion" into something meaning something else other than the above examples, you are just arguing semantics.

Words have meanings. If you don't know what a word means, don't use it. Pretty good lesson in life right there, avoids misunderstandings.

In the same breath you admonish me for making a post about this issue on the forums, you tell me I should have referred to the forums to have become aware of this issue. Why mindlessly defend something you know is lame, and actively drives players out of a game you enjoy?

He does that to everyone, I suggest you simply ignore those who seem only to want to antagonize you. It's indefensible that Bioware is asking you to pay $10 PER toon. That's not reasonable nor is it acceptable. The dead servers are 100% THEIR fault...that's what happens when you ignore your customers for a few years...they go where they do feel appreciated.

Weird, two people have argued about the use of terminology, and those same two people have linked dictionary definitions to try and back up their invalid arguments.....strange...:rolleyes:

Really, so you have some documented proof that BW/EA forced the OP to sub? Do provide it, I'd love to see some video.

He does that to everyone, I suggest you simply ignore those who seem only to want to antagonize you. It's indefensible that Bioware is asking you to pay $10 PER toon. That's not reasonable nor is it acceptable. The dead servers are 100% THEIR fault...that's what happens when you ignore your customers for a few years...they go where they do feel appreciated.

Yeah, he should totally go over to WoW, and pay 25 dollars PER TOON. Ironically, I just transferred a toon today, for free. Hmm, wonder why the OP couldn't do that?