Are we ever go back to empire vs republic story?

ShieldProtection

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The snow glows white on Hoth tonight

Not a rebel to be seen

A kingdom with ten rulers,

And I'm just a has been.

The Empire and Republic are going downhill

Both should probably, be writing a good will!

Don't fight too long, don't fight too hard

Flip the deck and play your last good card

Bombard, unbarred, unbarred fighting

It's a knight sighting!

Here we go, here we go

The war it is no more

Here we go, here we go

Sith and Jedi are a bore!

I don't care

What they're going to say

Let the old ways die,

The gray never bothered me anyway!

It's crazy how resistance

Can live and let things die

And the aftermath of battle

Will make the children cry!

It's time to see what else there is

The galaxy's not just a monk's business

No dark, no light, no code I say, I'm gray!

Here we go, here we go

I'm a wizard that's no lie

Here we go, here we go

I could also be a spy!

Here I sit

And here I'll play

Let the old ways die!

My power flurries through the choices all around

Even though they're a bunch of crap it feels good to sit down

And one choice feels crazy like a dark sith's past

I'm never killing Koth,

I'd rather that he last!

Sike I kid, sike I kid

Koth is going to die hard

Sike I kid, sike I kid

I'll drown him in some lard!

Here I sit

They all had their day

Let the old ways die,

I think I just spent like an hour writing this. I couldn't stop once I started, but man, it got complicated. :p

It is interesting how different people see star wars.

Is it Republic vs Empire?

Rebels faction vs Empire?

Separatists vs Republic?

Or is it more Light vs Dark.

More about ideology.

A combination of all the above?

All the above I have seen people say that, this is what Star Wars is. I guess a lot will depend on what you count as star wars, many only count the films, others will count the EU, some now of cause will say only what Disney say is cannon.

Me and a friend 10+ years back talk about this a lot. This of cause was long before Disney got the Star Wars franchise. I always counted the EU, he never counted anything other than the films. So yes for him the Star Wars Holiday film counts. A film I might add I still have never seen. From my point Star wars is more than just Republic vs Empire. Reading the last few posts got me thinking about this again as Disney has reset Star Wars. Should I still count the EU? or not? You know still not decided on that. I did enjoy how you few recent posters viewed it though.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Evading the point about Alliance and Empire?

No, simply thinking that a story about playing a political leader who happens to keep getting his/her hands dirty with seemingly every mission is a bad story (see most of the Star Wars novels as evidence). Plucky rebels who happen to be involved in events is different than the President and senior political/military advisers jumping in to partake in those same events. When Luke, Leia, and Han become THE major figures in their New Republic and STILL get involved in every major happening it tends to make the very idea of their republic a joke. Is there no one else that can handle any of these crises? Why does it always fall on the shoulders of a half-dozen individuals in their 60s?

Besides, wouldn't it be sad if the best EA could do is ape the trilogy? It's bad enough that an old man is manipulating events while a cyborg meathead keeps killing underlings.

Edited by CorellianWannabe

I agree with whoever earlier stated this is a trilogy. KotFE, KotET, and Ko---.

I think they could go back to Republic vs. Empire if they want to but I don't think they do.

I imagine there will have to be a split in the story at some point. The Republic players need to go back to Coruscant to take care of Saresh. The Imperial players will head back to Dromund Kaas to see Darth Acina(?) to .... reform the council or take control? I can't see them going to each others capital to deal with the problems, unless that is how they decide to start the rivalry again.

The cooperation of both factions is a succeed and everyone's celebrating.

"Good job, guys. Now that our common enemy is dead, what now?"

"Uhm... we have been able to get along without too much complications. How about we try to solve our former issues in a normal way, this time. You know like in a 'lesson learnt" retrospective view"

"Or, how about we just continue our war like nothing happened before. This way, nobody will be surprised if our current or future leaders decide to turn insane all of sudden."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, deal."

But to be honest, it wouln't be too surreal if the alliance gets dissolved at some point. Either faction just need to launch a surprise attack or some plot-of-the-day and the clash's there again. Even in WoW a common enemy hasn't stopped Alliance and Horde to suddenly turn happy-go-lucky. IIRC there were only a few key figures who chose to cooperate.

I think that is a common misconception here. The Republic and the Empire AREN'T cooperating. The Alliance you are leading are people who temporarily LEFT those two nations. The Republic and the Empire are still at war and do fight, as evidenced by quite a few lines in KotFE.

Hm. That would pose a problem on some of my characters. If they ever do, then I feel that they must give us an option to defect or remain outside of that somehow. :p How will my SI continue her love with Theron, otherwise? :eek:

Don't tell your Sith Inquisitor this...but I hear there are dating sites that handle cross-faction romances :p

"Consequences schmonsequences as long as I'm rich"

Holy cow... Arcann is Daffy Duck :eek:

His greed and cowardice didn't clue you in?

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

After FE, how could they?

Well, it's easy really. Even poor writers can pull that off easily.

Just let the Valkorion family destroy each other and then you destroy Valkorion and in the process the Eternal Throne gets blown to bits and Zakuul suffers irreperable damage. The Zakuulans have to flee and get scattered and our main characters go back home...where the Empire and Republic have started rebuilding and the old ways seep back in and start fighting over who's in control of what area in the known galaxy, ready to face a new mysterious enemy who is playing both sides against the middle and our heroes are the only ones who realise this because nobody in the dark council/senate believe us.

So really, if I can make something up in 5 minutes, I'm sure they can too.

No, simply thinking that a story about playing a political leader who happens to keep getting his/her hands dirty with seemingly every mission is a bad story (see most of the Star Wars novels as evidence). Plucky rebels who happen to be involved in events is different than the President and senior political/military advisers jumping in to partake in those same events. When Luke, Leia, and Han become THE major figures in their New Republic and STILL get involved in every major happening it tends to make the very idea of their republic a joke. Is there no one else that can handle any of these crises? Why does it always fall on the shoulders of a half-dozen individuals in their 60s?

Besides, wouldn't it be sad if the best EA could do is ape the trilogy? It's bad enough that an old man is manipulating events while a cyborg meathead keeps killing underlings.

I've read a bit of history, and there's more than a few cases of a or the leader of a rebellion being a field commander as well. First example I can think of off-hand is Fidel Castro, and you could make an argument for George Washington as well, though the timing is a little different.

The KotFE Alliance (whatever it's called in-game, I'm not sure we've been told, other than "The Alliance") isn't a government; it's not even an army. It's a "Special Forces" strike team and the logistical tail and security elements necessary to support. They have one warship, a couple squadrons of strike fighters, and a small conventional ground force. The Alliance controls an uninhabited planet. The PC is the field commander of the strike force.

Never happens, coz this game about CM fashion scene and pretty boring story if compared with classic 8 classes stories. Actually players want to continue classes stories and BW give them KOTFe, choices matter and startroopers fests lel :D. Enjoy. Edited by helpmewin

Hopefully not.

I kind of blur over with this constant focus of Empire vs Republic. As did the writers with much of the content of the vanilla game. Most of my Empire characters were fighting other Empire or third party NPCs from that planet, very rare to see a Republic enemy.

The Faction vs Faction mechanic fell well short of their goal to tell a narrative in an MMO. Afterall if your side starts losing just make a character on the other faction.

Saw so many of the launch restrictions lifted such as GTN opened to all (at launch this only applied to ship and Nar Shaddaa GTNs) and 'training' warzones where you could have Imp vs Imp, Rep vs Rep.

And now with KotFE we see the faction/class story boil down into one. I think that is here to stay.

My only hope is that the Odessen Training ground Warzone is opened up and paves the way for mixed operations and grouping.

Hm. That would pose a problem on some of my characters. If they ever do, then I feel that they must give us an option to defect or remain outside of that somehow. :p How will my SI continue her love with Theron, otherwise? :eek:

What about the Agent and the double agent ending?

I've read a bit of history, and there's more than a few cases of a or the leader of a rebellion being a field commander as well. First example I can think of off-hand is Fidel Castro, and you could make an argument for George Washington as well, though the timing is a little different.

You should read a bit more history. The last King of Great Britain to lead troops in battle (actually, you know, like, for real, fighting) was George II, in 1743. Before that, it was common for kings to fight, and even to die(1), on the battlefield, and George II wasn't the last king / ruler to fight battles in person, just the last British one.

(1) Richard III of England, Harold Godwinson of England, etc.

You should read a bit more history. The last King of Great Britain to lead troops in battle (actually, you know, like, for real, fighting) was George II, in 1743. Before that, it was common for kings to fight, and even to die(1), on the battlefield, and George II wasn't the last king / ruler to fight battles in person, just the last British one.

How does this disprove his point that it makes sense for your character to fight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Monarchs_killed_in_action

The Roman Emperors Decius, Herrenius Etruscus, Phillip the Arab, Gordian II, Constantine II, Julian II, Valens, Nikephoros I, and Constantine XI were all killed in battle as well.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. I think you are.

The PC is not "the king." The PC isn't even General Eisenhower. They're at most George Washington, and at the time KotFE takes place, Fidel Castro is probably a better fit; in that they're leading a rebellion. Not a government (yet). And up until WWI, it's very common for quite high-ranked leaders to be personally present at quite minor battles, because they had to be to exercise immediate control.

There's some implications of "King Arthur Returned From Avalon" mixed in as well (another Great Leader who fights in battles.)

His greed and cowardice didn't clue you in?

Believe me I was trying to work in the "Duck Season! Rabbit Season!" sketch but work needed more attention.

"Oh I get it now! Pronoun trouble! He'll shoot me when he gets home.... nyah." *Arcann and Elmer walk off towards a hunting lodge* "KABLAM!"

The snow glows white on Hoth tonight

Not a rebel to be seen

A kingdom with ten rulers,

And I'm just a has been.

The Empire and Republic are going downhill

Both should probably, be writing a good will!

Don't fight too long, don't fight too hard

Flip the deck and play your last good card

Bombard, unbarred, unbarred fighting

It's a knight sighting!

Here we go, here we go

The war it is no more

Here we go, here we go

Sith and Jedi are a bore!

I don't care

What they're going to say

Let the old ways die,

It's crazy how resistance

Can live and let things die

And the aftermath of battle

Will make the children cry!

It's time to see what else there is

The galaxy's not just a monk's business

No dark, no light, no code I say, I'm gray!

Here we go, here we go

I'm a wizard that's no lie

Here we go, here we go

I could also be a spy!

Here I sit

And here I'll play

Let the old ways die!

My power flurries through the choices all around

Even though they're a bunch of crap it feels good to sit down

And one choice feels crazy like a dark sith's past

I'm never killing Koth,

I'd rather that he last!

Sike I kid, sike I kid

Koth is going to die hard

Sike I kid, sike I kid

I'll drown him in some lard!

Here I sit

They all had their day

Let the old ways die,

I think I just spent like an hour writing this. I couldn't stop once I started, but man, it got complicated. :p

Are you kidding me? After 2 lines I knew I was SCREWED! Did Disney pay you to do that, is that what it is? If not, this was just mean man...really really mean...