Subscriber perks... what would you pay for?

Rolodome

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the model used by SWTOR. One of the suggestions is that the sub perks are improved and the restrictions on lower statuses (preferred, F2P) are reduced.

For those of you who feel that you'd unsub if the restrictions were lessened on preferred, what sort of subscriber perks might change your mind and convince you to keep subbing?

In other words, what "bonuses" would you pay for?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the model used by SWTOR. One of the suggestions is that the sub perks are improved and the restrictions on lower statuses (preferred, F2P) are reduced.

For those of you who feel that you'd unsub if the restrictions were lessened on preferred, what sort of subscriber perks might change your mind and convince you to keep subbing?

More character slots.

Legacy Storage Subscriber Expansion (?)

Character Storage Expansion.

Of course the unlimited credits in my characters' wallets as is in the game right now.

I admit I subscribe also for hiding headslots and unify colors right now as well...

That first one is my main reason to subscribe, however. I have a spreadsheet of 60+ characters.

Private instances of all the planets. I'd not only keep subbing, but pay extra for that.

Or, if that's too demanding - then, instances only available to subscribers at a $20 or $30 (or whatever) subscription tier. The population wouldn't always be 1, but it would be much lower than the general instances...

(Back when they made 12x xp a permanent thing, a lot of people were saying: This is great, now I can play it like a single-player game, because I don't have to do side-quests! Which was baffling to me, because I always do all the side-quests in single player games.

To me, rather, the most glaring thing standing in the way of a real single-player experience in this game is...the other players. Running around with the same companions, stealing kills and objectives, and just breaking immersion in general.)

Crafting raid level gear (with the rule that the some of the materials are expensive and only drop in certain flashpoints/operations, can't be harvested by node) Rest XP, an outfit editor where you could tweak usually unchangeable colours in an outfit to your dye and use multiple dyes on the same piece. An unlocked appearance designer kiosk where I could change anything but my race for free (I'd love to change my hairstyle every week), cartel coin allowance, unlimited med probes (I honestly see no problem with keep that as a sub perk, it's convenience) and log-in priority.

This is a really good thread, because it tackles the problem head on. I'm not planning on unsubbing, even with a big overhaul but I thought I'd add the things I really like and think work, and extras we subs could have.

Edited by AllisonLightning

It is fine the way it is, especially for F2P and preferred. The restrictions should stay where they are at.

Private instances of all the planets. I'd not only keep subbing, but pay extra for that.

Or, if that's too demanding - then, instances only available to subscribers at a $20 or $30 (or whatever) subscription tier. The population wouldn't always be 1, but it would be much lower than the general instances...

(Back when they made 12x xp a permanent thing, a lot of people were saying: This is great, now I can play it like a single-player game, because I don't have to do side-quests! Which was baffling to me, because I always do all the side-quests in single player games.

To me, rather, the most glaring thing standing in the way of a real single-player experience in this game is...the other players. Running around with the same companions, stealing kills and objectives, and just breaking immersion in general.)

I know other players in a MMO....crazy thought isnt it?

If they increase the credit cap, I know I'd unsub. I can buy most of the unlocks/Ops passes to play as I need to anyway.

I seriously think the restrictions are good where they are now, and hope they don't change them. Some may think they are overly strict, but that is the point to make you want to sub to get full access to the game.

It is fine the way it is, especially for F2P and preferred. The restrictions should stay where they are at.

This isn't a thread to argue whether the model should change. We have plenty of those already.

Please stay on topic.

Edit: And thank you to those who have answered thus far. I appreciate it.

Edited by Rolodome

This isn't a thread to argue whether the model should change. We have plenty of those already.

Please stay on topic.

He is on topic. You are the one that injected F2P into your original post. In fact, you used it as a key pretext in your original post. He simply responded.

I agree with him by the way, we do not need changes to the access model and features accessible by subs (or F2P/Preferred), IMO. That includes more perks for subs.

Subscriber perks by the way, are over rated IMO. Subscriber features, vs F2P/Freemium are not, they are core to the game. So, are you talking about perks here, or the features and access given to subscribers? It's not clear to me in your OP. They are not the same thing, so maybe clarifying a bit would help the discussion move forward.

Edited by Andryah

Its an awkward setup because you have your vets which payed $40 for the game and the sub for future updates, then they moved the goalposts so to speak and allowed free entry and sub for future updates, so you're going to get different responses from them for starters. They gave an amount of CC's at the changeover depending on your sub time, but it was nowhere near enough.

When compared to some of the competition out there, what is offered is pretty ordinary overall, and for long term players that are into group activities, its outright bad value for money with the change in direction.

BW did clearly state this was the direction it was going, but some just refused to acknowledge it and spend all the time on here whining about no this or that..

With that change in direction, it was a good time to revisit sub perks and implement far better rewards and things like daily subscriber log-in rewards to help retain some of those long term players. a token each day and a vendor on the fleet to spend them at, that has tons of really awesome items, mounts, deco and gear, as good or better than any stuff they put on the CM. Dynamic weeklies, do x, x , x and x and get a token for another vendor with again, really cool stuff. Seriously, the sky's the limit in easy to implement features to give players things to work towards and make that sub a little more enticing.

Its an awkward setup because you have your vets which payed $40 for the game and the sub for future updates, then they moved the goalposts so to speak and allowed free entry and sub for future updates, so you're going to get different responses from them for starters. They gave an amount of CC's at the changeover depending on your sub time, but it was nowhere near enough.

When compared to some of the competition out there, what is offered is pretty ordinary overall, and for long term players that are into group activities, its outright bad value for money with the change in direction.

BW did clearly state this was the direction it was going, but some just refused to acknowledge it and spend all the time on here whining about no this or that..

With that change in direction, it was a good time to revisit sub perks and implement far better rewards and things like daily subscriber log-in rewards to help retain some of those long term players. a token each day and a vendor on the fleet to spend them at, that has tons of really awesome items, mounts, deco and gear, as good or better than any stuff they put on the CM. Dynamic weeklies, do x, x , x and x and get a token for another vendor with again, really cool stuff. Seriously, the sky's the limit in easy to implement features to give players things to work towards and make that sub a little more enticing.

A daily sub reward doesn't reward long terms subs, it rewards short term subs. What this boils down to is people want to get sub rewards for the barest minimum of play commitment. Log on for a day and get a sub reward? I mean really?

If they want to reward long terms subs, it would be to offer special items that are available to players that have been subbed for 6 months with no lapse.

I really have no idea where the logic comes from, that rewarding people for subbing by the day, in any way, rewards long terms subs. That rewards people that sub for a month, log in as much as possible, then let their sub lapse.

As I stated above, there is no reason to really change the sub rewards system, nor extend more benefits for F2P or preferred. The whole idea of it is a scam, so that one can get even more out of just paying 1 month sub then they are all ready getting.

1. Higher drop chances for rare items from CM.

2. Higher drop chances in instances (no matter if it's a planet, FP or OP).

3. Additional page for character inventory (not bank).

4. No fee in outfit editor.

5. Complete removal of knock-off from vehicle.

6. Reduced fee for modifying gear.

7. Queue priority.

Edited by Kingsbount

A daily sub reward doesn't reward long terms subs, it rewards short term subs. What this boils down to is people want to get sub rewards for the barest minimum of play commitment. Log on for a day and get a sub reward? I mean really?

If they want to reward long terms subs, it would be to offer special items that are available to players that have been subbed for 6 months with no lapse.

I really have no idea where the logic comes from, that rewarding people for subbing by the day, in any way, rewards long terms subs. That rewards people that sub for a month, log in as much as possible, then let their sub lapse.

As I stated above, there is no reason to really change the sub rewards system, nor extend more benefits for F2P or preferred. The whole idea of it is a scam, so that one can get even more out of just paying 1 month sub then they are all ready getting.

Firstly, how does one sub for a day? since that's the premise for your argument.

Secondly, the aim of BW is to get people in the game, and more importantly, to subscribe, if this boosts subscriptions then its a great addition, regardless of your opinion of it.

Thirdly, there's also the flow on effect from having people logging in every day, they may see a friend that needs a hand with something or join in on some activity, or see something on the CM, which is all beneficial.

The only failed logic is yours with such a narrow minded view of how a game is meant to be and how oblivious you are to the changing practices of businesses in the modern world.

This is what I would suggest.

Gold and Platinum status would be special tiers for Preferred AND Subs. Subs would get special perks for reaching the following milestones.

Gold Sub - 200.00 spent on the market - 2 extra character slots per server - 10 percent increase in crystal payouts/10 percent reduction of vendor costs game wide

Platinum Sub - 1000.00 spent on the market - 4 extra character slots per server - 25 percent increase in crystal payouts/25 percent reduction of vendor costs game wide

The idea, of course, is to provide an incentive for Subs to substantially invest in the Cartel Market.

If this was adopted for Preferred as well it would have different perks.

Edited by LordArtemis

Gold and Platinum status would be special tiers for Preferred AND Subs. Subs would get special perks for reaching the following milestones.

Gold Sub - 200.00 spent on the market - 2 extra character slots per server - 10 percent increase in crystal payouts/10 percent reduction of vendor costs game wide

Platinum Sub - 1000.00 spent on the market - 4 extra character slots per server - 25 percent increase in crystal payouts/25 percent reduction of vendor costs game wide

The idea, of course, is to provide an incentive for Subs to substantially invest in the Cartel Market.

So more CM, but no content... I would not pay for that personally.

I sub mostly for the ops, character slots and credit limit.

oh sureeee let's add darth sidious supporter pack - you own everything in collections forever for only 100,000$ :rolleyes:

Edited by therecanonlybeon

1. Higher drop chances for rare items from CM.

2. Higher drop chances in instances (no matter if it's a planet, FP or OP).

3. Additional page for character inventory (not bank).

4. No fee in outfit editor.

5. Complete removal of knock-off from vehicle.

6. Reduced fee for modifying gear.

7. Queue priority.

Allot of this, but the biggest "Sub Perk" that I have been waiting for. Is the ability to 'skip' all the Zakuul storylines on my alts, after I've run though the story on both factions. The first couple times, cool stuff. Now, Valkorian is starting to just be that drunk uncle at Thanksgiving dinner.

I would definitely pay extra for this. Once it's gone, it's gone. I despise respawns. ;)

Bonus chapters like HK are definitely something I would stay subbed for.

Apart from that I am easy to please: Triple the amount of CC per month and I am good.

But then, I decided to stay subbed until the end of this game anyway. I have nowhere else to go.

First, I should preface my comments by saying that I personally prefer a full subscription model. I much prefer a system where everyone pays the same amount and everyone has the same level of access than have to wade through a sea of micro-transactions to determine what is worth paying for and what isn't. Having said that, I realize that EA/BW already tried that model and found it unsustainable for this game.

Within the meta of a hybrid-f2p model, there are really only two things that can motivate me to invest a monthly subscription in a game I could otherwise get free, both of which EA/BW are already doing to some extent. One is exclusive content. I like to have access to all the content in a game, so bonus content for long-term subscribers, such as the recent HK chapter, would motivate me to maintain a subscription. The other thing that can and does motivate me to subscribe is the bugaboo that causes most of the threads like this one -- avoiding inconveniences such as credit limit, gear limitations, etc.

I like the idea of supporting games that I enjoy for its own sake and have no problem paying my way, but the truth is that I wouldn't likely be able to justify a subscription if it didn't in some way significantly expand what I do and don't have access to. So for me, it would have to either the carrot of content I couldn't get any other way, or the stick of punitive non-subscriber inconveniences to ensure my subscription.

First, I should preface my comments by saying that I personally prefer a full subscription model. I much prefer a system where everyone pays the same amount and everyone has the same level of access than have to wade through a sea of micro-transactions to determine what is worth paying for and what isn't. Having said that, I realize that EA/BW already tried that model and found it unsustainable for this game.

Within the meta of a hybrid-f2p model, there are really only two things that can motivate me to invest a monthly subscription in a game I could otherwise get free, both of which EA/BW are already doing to some extent. One is exclusive content. I like to have access to all the content in a game, so bonus content for long-term subscribers, such as the recent HK chapter, would motivate me to maintain a subscription. The other thing that can and does motivate me to subscribe is the bugaboo that causes most of the threads like this one -- avoiding inconveniences such as credit limit, gear limitations, etc.

I like the idea of supporting games that I enjoy for its own sake and have no problem paying my way, but the truth is that I wouldn't likely be able to justify a subscription if it didn't in some way significantly expand what I do and don't have access to. So for me, it would have to either the carrot of content I couldn't get any other way, or the stick of punitive non-subscriber inconveniences to ensure my subscription.

Well said ... even for a Sith Lord.

From my perspective, EA/BW wield both carrot and stick deftly. You, sir, are wise and of sound and prudent judgment. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend.*

Was that the wrong IP? :confused: