[Spoilers] So what storyline will be locked behind rewards next?

CorellianWannabe

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it won't.

But I'm sure you and 5 others will be trying to fluff it up in the forum and prosecute it as an abomination. :p

...Well... why... why wouldn't it grow other than "No... no it wont!" Locking essential content of your game behind a pay wall or sub wall is bad game design, and im sure theirs going to be more than five of us that's unhappy with locking HK behind a now unobtainable chapter for future subs that walk in with the new expac and movie.

Well now people know, stay subscribed for special bonus content now.

No sympathy though for those who were not subscriber.

You know what I think the unstated issue is here?

A lot of people railed on the whole idea of rewards for subscribing by X date. And they doubled down by railing on the rewards themselves. Now.. we see a reward that is largely being praised in the forum, and they are not happy about it being something positive. So.. they just desperately need to try to smear dung all over it and declare it an abomination by the studio. :D

...Well... why... why wouldn't it grow other than "No... no it wont!" Locking essential content of your game behind a pay wall or sub wall is bad game design, and im sure theirs going to be more than five of us that's unhappy with locking HK behind a now unobtainable chapter for future subs that walk in with the new expac and movie.

Dude.. the content of this bonus chapter IS NOT locking essential content behind a wall. There is nothing essential about it all. I can see now where your fallacy begins.

Now.. IF... the bonus chapter is a prerequisite to future content.. then I agree with you. But it's not.

Edited by Andryah

Make them based on total subscription time, not on calendar month. Use a collections window style ability to claim them to all character's inventory.

Each month, announce a few new items being added to the redeemable items list. Every month of sub you can redeem 1 additional item.

At 3 and 6 months, grant a bonus item redemption. At 9 months, unlock all redeemable items for the player.

This x9000 times.

There is nothing essential about it all.

But this is essential for those who played microbinoculars storyline and want to know the ultimate fate of the Shroud. And not being able to play it because of dumb website errors sux too much.

Edited by unibim

Dude.. the content of this bonus chapter IS NOT locking essential content behind a wall. There is nothing essential about it all. I can see now where your fallacy begins.

Now.. IF... the bonus chapter is a prerequisite to future content.. then I agree with you. But it's not.

Story content is the main attraction for swtor, why lock that behind a sub wall now unobtainable to any new players? Ill admit I picked a poor choice of words their saying it was "essential," but it's part of the reason most people probably play SWTOR, for the story.

You know what I think the unstated issue is here?

A lot of people railed on the whole idea of rewards for subscribing by X date. And they doubled down by railing on the rewards themselves. Now.. we see a reward that is largely being praised in the forum, and they are not happy about it being something positive. So.. they just desperately need to try to smear dung all over it and declare it an abomination by the studio. :D

At least in my case, not true. I think it was a bad development move and sets a bad precedent. I think they can and should do something different moving forward. Veteran rewards should be based on how long you were a subscriber, not when you were a subscriber. No story should be exclusive to people who hit certain dates.

I am railing on the system because it was a bad system. And again, I earned the bonus chapter...

Story content is the main attraction for swtor, why lock that behind a sub wall now unobtainable to any new players? Ill admit I picked a poor choice of words their saying it was "essential," but it's part of the reason most people probably play SWTOR, for the story.

The same could be said about early events that were time limited and that they never repeated too. But I don't see it as an issue, and I doubt you do either. You are really reaching into the troposphere now, IMO.

Again.... unless/unitl they make the bonus chapter a prerequisite for future story arcs, you are just blowing steam IMO.

Edited by Andryah

At least in my case, not true. I think it was a bad development move and sets a bad precedent. I think they can and should do something different moving forward. Veteran rewards should be based on how long you were a subscriber, not when you were a subscriber. No story should be exclusive to people who hit certain dates.

I am railing on the system because it was a bad system. And again, I earned the bonus chapter...

uh huh.

Maybe you should take the bull by the horns and buy the game from Disney so you have creative control over what the studio does/does-not do. :p

There are a number of things in this game that newer players missed out on and can never have access to. This is no different really.

But you know what.. you have your opinion and clearly you are going to stick to it. So really, there is no point in further discussion.

Edited by Andryah

The same could be said about early events that were time limited and that they never repeated too. But I don't see it as an issue, and I doubt you do either. You are really reaching into the troposphere now, IMO.

Again.... unless/unitl they make the bonus chapter a prerequisite for future story arcs, you are just blowing steam IMO.

The pseudo brought back the rakghoul event. The Chevin thing on Nar shaddaa didn't have "story" to it, nor did the nightlife event... all others have been set to repeat, right?

Edited by azudelphi

After the Shroud story was apparently finished behind a limited-time reward lockout, perhaps the next reward will be someone like Thexan "I wasn't really dead" for those who maintain a subscription during Eternal Throne?

Imagine seeing what he's been doing all this time as your exclusive reward, while others are left in the dark about why you have Arcann's twin as your healbot and why no one ever seems to comment on that fact.

If only there were some way for you to have actually earned that bonus chapter.

Oh, wait...

Maybe in the future, you will maintain your subscription.

Those early events are mainly focused on gameplay and are completely different than a chapter in a MMO. Events in MMOs are more acceptable to not being repeated and time limited as you don't need to play a previous event, or one in the future, to get a idea how to play in the next one. They each have their own different ways to play and are unique with one another. Compare this to the HK-55 chapter, and while it isn't a prerequisite into a new story, it IS a ending to a old one, which imo is just as bad.

What storyline was concluded by the Chevin event again? Apparently I'm not the only one with a little pen.

uh huh.

Maybe you should take the bull by the horns and buy the game from Disney so you have creative control over what the studio does/does-not do. :p

Disney? What? Bioware controls the game under the license to use the Star Wars IP. Disney doesn't come into play...

And obviously I don't control Bioware beyond what I do / don't do with my money. Well, part of what my sub allows is my ability to give feedback on these here forums. I am exerting all control I have at the moment. I don't have to justify that to you, but I just did.

Edited by azudelphi

I really hope they don't do that again honestly, story is THE main attraction when playing SWTOR, voice acting, humor, character development, companion interactions, etc. etc., are the fundamentals of Bioware and their game. IMO they should NOT lock something THAT essential to their game behind a sub reward, or at least a limited time offered one. Sub rewards should remain, within a reasonable level, cosmetic, and time convenience to not break that delicate balance of OP sub rewards.

It was a BONUS CHAPTER, NOT something essential to the core game.

In the future, all you have to do to have access to those BONUS chapters is to remain subscribed.

If only there were some way for you to have actually earned that bonus chapter.

Oh, wait...

Maybe in the future, you will maintain your subscription.

If only there were some way for EA to announce that the chapter was finishing a storyline and not just a fluff piece for a fluff companion.

Oh, wait...

It was a BONUS CHAPTER, NOT something essential to the core game.

In the future, all you have to do to have access to those BONUS chapters is to remain subscribed.

A bonus chapter which was the ending to a older storyline of the shroud... Not essential to the core game, and I already mentioned I misused the word essential, but ...useful... to a older storyline.

What about new players however that enter the game and want to see the shroud storyline end? Guess I should direct them to youtube...

For the most part, I would be .... okay.... ish... if the HK chapter was in its own separate story, but since it's a continuation of a old one im going to be dead set against it. Newer subs should be allowed to see the ending to the shroud storyline without the use of another website.

For the HK bonus chapter: Let it go.

For the future of subscriber rewards: Totally agree. Don't do it again Bioware.

Suggestion: Don't go cute or clever Bioware by making it all themed on one side character. Start a thread on October 1st. Use said thread to gather ideas, suggestions, and concepts for the kind of rewards to give out.

Make them based on total subscription time, not on calendar month. Use a collections window style ability to claim them to all character's inventory.

Each month, announce a few new items being added to the redeemable items list. Every month of sub you can redeem 1 additional item.

At 3 and 6 months, grant a bonus item redemption. At 9 months, unlock all redeemable items for the player.

And to reiterate, do not put content behind a sub wall... content is why we pay a sub fee each month.

Since the BONUS CHAPTER required a subscription from January 11-August 1, apparently many people did NOT subscribe, yet want that "story content".

Had those people actually SUBSCRIBED, they would have that BONUS CHAPTER.

Since the BONUS CHAPTER required a subscription from January 11-August 1, apparently many people did NOT subscribe, yet want that "story content".

Had those people actually SUBSCRIBED, they would have that BONUS CHAPTER.

I have that bonus chapter. I still think it was a bad move. I accept they can't change it now and couldn't even change it midway through kotfe, but KotET is a chance for them to do better. That's my point. That's my feedback.

Edited by azudelphi

They are just upset that they didnt stay subbed for the entire period because they thought the bonus chapter would be terrible, now it turns out it was amazing and they are demanding to have it even though they didn't subscriber <_<

But ya just goes to show stay a subscriber especially if they promise bonus content from now on.

Let's not forget that there were more than a few (including at least a couple of posters in this thread) who were demanding access to the bonus chapter even before it was released, even though they KNEW and ACKNOWLEDGED that they were NOT entitled to have access to it.

I don't think it would be unlikely for them to announce that if you start a subscription now (or whenever), it will come available to you in 3 months or however long. I can see how it being "gone forever" would be a bad thing, but I still have no problem with them putting story content behind subscription walls.