Nerf Sorc healers

shyzofreny

You don't have to burn down the healer, as long as the healer is healing himself(herself) he's not healing the rest around. So if 1 DPS is a really good player and can annoy the healer enough everyone else dies and then there's only a healer to kill. Which is usually easy. I know I shout for help whenever a good player who knows how interrupts work is sitting on me.

Several information to those crying people:

Phase walk = no healing. Whenever sage uses phasewalk defensively he has to return. Meaning team has to survive this phase. If the sage uses this too late(=low HP) it's even longer phase with no healing.

Barrier = no healing. Just be cautious, some healers tend to pop the barrier and let the DPS switch, then immediately turn off the barrier and go back to healing.

Compared to commando Sage has too many utilities. But why nerfing? Why we don't want to buff Commando healers? E.g. let them have an utility which allows them to convert electro net into something defensive! Why does a healer need something THAT offensive when they all need more goodies for themselves? :) And if they want the Electronet they sacrificed a defensive ability, I would love this solution.

And honestly, healer should overheal 1 DPS which is happening. 2 good DPS players who knows how to use kicks are usually end for me. Sure, I can survive a while, kite them, but 2 sentinels(e.g.) is bad sign =)

Sure, with guard I can survive 4 or 5 players. But that's mostly when the players are bad and my tank is good. Otherwise I usually see my tank flying away and myself burned down so fast I cannot even say "Damn it" :D

Sorc's have very high hps and mobility, usually the phasewalk prevents my death by escaping cc and with how mobile I am I can be back in the battle within 5 seconds. Roaming mend is smart and can target around corners. Also my phasewalk may be 40m from you but still in range of my teammates meaning even at low life I can start free casting right away. Barrier with utility = h2f for me which means I can focus teammates right away. Not to mention if I was forced to barrier I was being focus hard so my team probably isn't half dead at the moment I barrier.

Healers do NOT need buffed. Sorc healing is strong but healing in general does not need buffed.

I can easily hold off 4-5 good dps as a sorc healer with a good tank with no problem or tank with good healer.A tank that can taunt and control and a healer than can kite and cc well can easily delay 4-5 dps and survive for an extreme long time. Unless your goal is to kill and not capture a node, by the time we are dead (if death is even possible) you will have lost the warzone as my 6 team mates are thrashing your 3 left overs and scoring, planting, capping on them. So if you play objective I will never die as a sorc/tank combo. Pure dps and death match....gl but if you do win half the warzone has gone by. Also a jugg tank is no wimp in dmg, I will be able to put pressure on your 5 dps which lowers their teams focus and kill them. I have wiped large groups on nodes just as a tank with healer. If they have a healer it just means less dps per teammate plus now they have even less help taking nodes.

Edited by VixenRawR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its usually not face tanking 3 DPS as i can burn one down if they try that. Its the ahility to keep LOSing yet still be healingvwhile moving and having 3 cc escapes, speed with root/snare breaker to ensure you cant keep ahold of a decent one tgats the problem. Melee cant keep up and ranged is just easily avoided. Its why ive just stuck to Engineering lately. To try to hit just beyond LOS to flush them out . if i can catch both the sorc and their tank in it, its a bonus but we know im not killing a good player of anything like that.

I can easily hold off 4-5 good dps as a sorc healer with a good tank with no problem or tank with good healer.A tank that can taunt and control and a healer than can kite and cc well can easily delay 4-5 dps and survive for an extreme long time.

Good dps, maybe. Excellent dps, no.

I can easily hold off 4-5 good dps as a sorc healer with a good tank with no problem or tank with good healer.

I hope you have found a good tank friend and queue team ranked. If you can easily hold off 4-5 dps, surely 2 + a skank tank wouldn't even scratch you.

I'm kinda wondering which server you guys play on, because I'd have to go there to take some lessons. As a Red Eclipse resident, my experience is that Sorc healers die - even the ones I consider to be good, or great, even. If the team is not retarded, they die even though guard, though I admit, that requires an above the average team (which still does not, considering the sad average, mean anything outstanding). Edited by Schoock

Good dps, maybe. Excellent dps, no.

*rolls eyes* 5 "excellent" dps then someone is queing a double premade. There are almost never 99.99999% of the time 5 "excellent" players on one team. Usually we are just vs reallly bad people so some people can get high numbers with free casting. But sure if they are 100% coordinated 5 arsenal mercs that net me systematically and I have nowhere to go. (And in reality my team then must suck cause if I am actually having trouble I will call for backup). Anyways an "excellent" healer and tank can still last a good while in a warzone. If I saw 5 mercs rolling up I'd say something. And even if they used net I could pop cc breaker and barrier. As for the jugg...saber reflect. :)

The point is its not easy. If there were that many excellent dps to attack a sorc/jugg combo they could have just avoided them and took a different node quickly.

Edited by VixenRawR

I just have to ask, because these type of threads always read the same to me, those of you who want sorcs nerfed: Have you actually played a sorc healer in high-end PvP consistently? If so, are you basing your nerf reasoning on how well you survive and are you taking your skill and the skill of the players you face and the skill of your teammates into account?

When you fight a sorc healer in PvP, are you taking your skill into account, along with theirs and teammates, etc.?

I've noticed some people develop an instinct for knowing when something is overpowered, along with often playing alongside other players who are skilled and comparing notes. On the other hand, if you are just playing in a vacuum and arguing from frustration, that doesn't mean much.

I recall this one op healer I ran into when leveling. I could hurt him, but I couldn't seem to get him to stand still long enough to kill him and my team was derping around. I ended up with a pretty unrealistic image of how good he was from that encounter. Later, the image was shattered when he ended up on my team in a 4-man, while I was leveling a different character... he did well, but he was no god and we ultimately lost, even though we had two healers (he and I).

The moral of this story is, first impressions can be horribly wrong. This just goes for PvP and imbalance in general; it's usually safer to assume that your initial impressions are a bit off. If you want to get scientific, try to prove it to be false. Make an effort to prove that "X thing you think is overpowered" is not overpowered and see if you can craft an argument for it, or create a situation, that is believable, using evidence. Whether you can or can't, you may just stumble into a more in-depth understanding of the game and combat dynamics in general.

Wait, you seen sorcs bubble stunning, having healing barriers and using channeled heal on move at the same time?

I agree with Rolodome, some of the bad reputaion of being OP comes from other people not knowing the sorc class.

Edited by RandomName_Ru

I just have to ask, because these type of threads always read the same to me, those of you who want sorcs nerfed: Have you actually played a sorc healer in high-end PvP consistently? If so, are you basing your nerf reasoning on how well you survive and are you taking your skill and the skill of the players you face and the skill of your teammates into account?

When you fight a sorc healer in PvP, are you taking your skill into account, along with theirs and teammates, etc.?

I've noticed some people develop an instinct for knowing when something is overpowered, along with often playing alongside other players who are skilled and comparing notes. On the other hand, if you are just playing in a vacuum and arguing from frustration, that doesn't mean much.

I recall this one op healer I ran into when leveling. I could hurt him, but I couldn't seem to get him to stand still long enough to kill him and my team was derping around. I ended up with a pretty unrealistic image of how good he was from that encounter. Later, the image was shattered when he ended up on my team in a 4-man, while I was leveling a different character... he did well, but he was no god and we ultimately lost, even though we had two healers (he and I).

The moral of this story is, first impressions can be horribly wrong. This just goes for PvP and imbalance in general; it's usually safer to assume that your initial impressions are a bit off. If you want to get scientific, try to prove it to be false. Make an effort to prove that "X thing you think is overpowered" is not overpowered and see if you can craft an argument for it, or create a situation, that is believable, using evidence. Whether you can or can't, you may just stumble into a more in-depth understanding of the game and combat dynamics in general.

that's a fair point, and to answer your specific question i haven't run sorc heals in a pretty long while. but i'm not one of those who think heals is the problem. rather i think it is a problem with the sorc class as a whole.

I have played end game pvp since the game came out. Minus the little bit of time it takes to level and gear, which is immaterial. I have played enough to know what is what and why. Even looking at it from a pure role perspective sorcs outclass mercs and operative heals to where there is NO question at all as to who is the ABSOLUTE best healer. For a while op healers outclasses mercs and sorcs badly, but they never had the idiocy of 3 cc escapes so coordination and burst worked very well against them.

A couple simple fixes would greatly improve the balance and reduce legitimate complains. They nerfed energy management, but it's still very easy. Operative energy management is also pretty easy. Only one that can sometimes get dicey is mercs. So I'm fine with that.

Mobility is a problem. Mobility is the main reason ops were so powerful for so long. Now their mobility comes from HOTs and surgical probe. Surgical probe is a joke compared to what it used to be. So their mobility while good when burst isn't a concern doesn't work nearly as well as sorc mobility. Sorcs have very powerful heals that can be used on the move or are instant. Mercs also suffer from mobility issues. Sorcs effective mobility outclasses the other two healers hands down. Burst healing is done very good by sorcs. Also very good by mercs. Operatives aren't so great at burst healing. Sustained healing is done great by ops because of HOTs, but also very good by sorcs. This is all in relation to instanced pvp though. Sorcs definitely have the best of both worlds with burst and sustained healing.

Escapes. Sorcs win hands down no competition. Coordinated cc can easily take out a Merc or an op heart because they both have one cc escape "stun break" and then in a separate cooldown use some cooldown. In this case they have to survive the initial stun and then use a cooldown or run. If they break the first stun they will just get stunned again. Ops have an advantage over mercs in that they can stealth out, but combat stealth cannot be used while stunned. It can also be negated completely by a well placed stealth scan or aoe. Sorcs on the other hand do not have to worry about resolve at all. They can phase walk away from coordinated burst WHILE stunned. They can barrier coordinated burst WHILE stunned. A utility that most sorcs take will also ensure they pretty much heal to full by the time bastion wears off. Bastion basically makes them immune to damage and interrupts for a few seconds after being invincible for 8 seconds. If that fails they will most likely have phase walk up again before things get too bad. If they don't then they always have stun breaker. If they get netted they can break it so they can still use phase walk or barrier WHILE stunned. If an op or a Merc breaks net while not white barred they are susceptible to a stun + burst combo.

In my opinion op and Merc healers are more where heals should be. They still do great especially when paired with a tank. Good ones can even do good without a tank. But sorc heals are just offensive. Sorc mobility should be toned down. Every heal they have can be used on the move often whether thru proc, utility, or inherent nature of the heal except for dark infusion. Roaming mend is a stupidly powerful heal. In my opinion roaming mend should have a 1.5 second cast and force mobility should make that castable on the move instead of innervate. This would make them quite a bit less mobile, but that would be a good thing.

Sorcs should never have gotten phase walk. In all seriousness it should just be taken away. Sure put force speed back to its shorter cooldown. But they shouldn't get anything else in return. They should never have gotten it in the first place. To those who complain and say that something HAS to be given to compensate I say BS. Orbital strike was removed from operatives with no compensation. Hidden strike was removed from them as well with no compensation. Unload and missile blast were removed from powertechs with no compensation. Deadly throw was removed from marauders with no real compensation. There are others, but you get the point. Yes some like missile blast on a pt were quite useless, but others like deadly throw, hidden strike were very very important like deadly throw and hidden strike or very useful like orbital strike. So, phase walk should be taken away from sorcs and only the cooldown on force speed changed to compensate (maybe).

The BIGGEST problem is cc escapes. Since we all no phase walk will never be taken away from sorcs then it should not be useable while stunned or mezzed. Barrier should also not be useable while stunned or mezzed. This would make cc more useful against sorcs and make them actually have to pay attention to resolve and smart use of breaker. Even then, they would still completely outclass op and Merc escapes from focus, but at least you'd have a chance to cc and burst them down. People would be in an uncontrollable rage is operatives could stealth out while stunned. Or if mercs were given a decent anti focus button useable while stunned. They would rage if marauders could camo while stunned, etc. Sorcs should NOT be able to use either barrier or phase walk (which they shouldn't have anyway) while stunned.

If only one thing were to change to fix that class make it so barrier and phase walk can't be used while stunned. They would STILL have the two best anti focus tools, but it wouldn't be so hilariously stupid. If two things change do that and get rid of phase walk on sorcs. They would still have the best anti focus tool, but then they would be much more comparable to the other two healers.

Anyone who thinks that sorc healers don't have it all is deluded. And no, op and Merc heals should not be buffed to sorc levels of stupidity.

Edited by Saikochoro

I have played end game pvp since the game came out. Minus the little bit of time it takes to level and gear, which is immaterial. I have played enough to know what is what and why. Even looking at it from a pure role perspective sorcs outclass mercs and operative heals to where there is NO question at all as to who is the ABSOLUTE best healer. For a while op healers outclasses mercs and sorcs badly, but they never had the idiocy of 3 cc escapes so coordination and burst worked very well against them.

A couple simple fixes would greatly improve the balance and reduce legitimate complains. They nerfed energy management, but it's still very easy. Operative energy management is also pretty easy. Only one that can sometimes get dicey is mercs. So I'm fine with that.

Mobility is a problem. Mobility is the main reason ops were so powerful for so long. Now their mobility comes from HOTs and surgical probe. Surgical probe is a joke compared to what it used to be. So their mobility while good when burst isn't a concern doesn't work nearly as well as sorc mobility. Sorcs have very powerful heals that can be used on the move or are instant. Mercs also suffer from mobility issues. Sorcs effective mobility outclasses the other two healers hands down. Burst healing is done very good by sorcs. Also very good by mercs. Operatives aren't so great at burst healing. Sustained healing is done great by ops because of HOTs, but also very good by sorcs. This is all in relation to instanced pvp though. Sorcs definitely have the best of both worlds with burst and sustained healing.

Escapes. Sorcs win hands down no competition. Coordinated cc can easily take out a Merc or an op heart because they both have one cc escape "stun break" and then in a separate cooldown use some cooldown. In this case they have to survive the initial stun and then use a cooldown or run. If they break the first stun they will just get stunned again. Ops have an advantage over mercs in that they can stealth out, but combat stealth cannot be used while stunned. It can also be negated completely by a well placed stealth scan or aoe. Sorcs on the other hand do not have to worry about resolve at all. They can phase walk away from coordinated burst WHILE stunned. They can barrier coordinated burst WHILE stunned. A utility that most sorcs take will also ensure they pretty much heal to full by the time bastion wears off. Bastion basically makes them immune to damage and interrupts for a few seconds after being invincible for 8 seconds. If that fails they will most likely have phase walk up again before things get too bad. If they don't then they always have stun breaker. If they get netted they can break it so they can still use phase walk or barrier WHILE stunned. If an op or a Merc breaks net while not white barred they are susceptible to a stun + burst combo.

In my opinion op and Merc healers are more where heals should be. They still do great especially when paired with a tank. Good ones can even do good without a tank. But sorc heals are just offensive. Sorc mobility should be toned down. Every heal they have can be used on the move often whether thru proc, utility, or inherent nature of the heal except for dark infusion. Roaming mend is a stupidly powerful heal. In my opinion roaming mend should have a 1.5 second cast and force mobility should make that castable on the move instead of innervate. This would make them quite a bit less mobile, but that would be a good thing.

Sorcs should never have gotten phase walk. In all seriousness it should just be taken away. Sure put force speed back to its shorter cooldown. But they shouldn't get anything else in return. They should never have gotten it in the first place. To those who complain and say that something HAS to be given to compensate I say BS. Orbital strike was removed from operatives with no compensation. Hidden strike was removed from them as well with no compensation. Unload and missile blast were removed from powertechs with no compensation. Deadly throw was removed from marauders with no real compensation. There are others, but you get the point. Yes some like missile blast on a pt were quite useless, but others like deadly throw, hidden strike were very very important like deadly throw and hidden strike or very useful like orbital strike. So, phase walk should be taken away from sorcs and only the cooldown on force speed changed to compensate (maybe).

The BIGGEST problem is cc escapes. Since we all no phase walk will never be taken away from sorcs then it should not be useable while stunned or mezzed. Barrier should also not be useable while stunned or mezzed. This would make cc more useful against sorcs and make them actually have to pay attention to resolve and smart use of breaker. Even then, they would still completely outclass op and Merc escapes from focus, but at least you'd have a chance to cc and burst them down. People would be in an uncontrollable rage is operatives could stealth out while stunned. Or if mercs were given a decent anti focus button useable while stunned. They would rage if marauders could camo while stunned, etc. Sorcs should NOT be able to use either barrier or phase walk (which they shouldn't have anyway) while stunned.

If only one thing were to change to fix that class make it so barrier and phase walk can't be used while stunned. They would STILL have the two best anti focus tools, but it wouldn't be so hilariously stupid. If two things change do that and get rid of phase walk on sorcs. They would still have the best anti focus tool, but then they would be much more comparable to the other two healers.

Anyone who thinks that sorc healers don't have it all is deluded. And no, op and Merc heals should not be buffed to sorc levels of stupidity.

but see this is exactly why i don't think that sorc heals are the root of the problem. all of the things you list as problems are shared between all of the sorc specs, not just the healers. i came up with similar ideas for how to fix them, but got called a troll last time i posted them. second time for the win: take away bastion, take away phase walk, and take away innervate on the move.

Edited by sumquy

Wait, you seen sorcs bubble stunning, having healing barriers and using channeled heal on move at the same time?

I agree with Rolodome, some of the bad reputaion of being OP comes from other people not knowing the sorc class.

Obviously those 3 things are all heroic utilities, but take away channeled healing and they still have mobile healing and they could still bubble stun, h2f barrier, and still move around healing and if they pause to cast they get a proc to insta cast other heals which offsets the original cast unless they use dark heal.

Sorc is OP and usually there are so many sorc on the team anyways you get bubble stunned by someone else who has the utility. Just like all sorc powers, half the time the player doesn't even have to be aware of doing something. Bubble stun goes off and hits a stealth behind you, roaming mend heals some dying player and you weren't even aware. The ease of the class is a joke.

Yes some people may not understand how a sorc works, but when you watch a video of a nuclear bomb go off, do you understand the exact science behind it, how it works, how to make one, and all the in's and outs? Or can you just stare at the mushroom cloud and absolute devastation and go, "Wow that's OP"...that's what its like when there is a sorc healer. =)

Being ganked by an operative is like being out on a dark icy night. You are in high heels and wearing sunglasses. An op has night vision goggles and has boots with good thread. That's the odds of OP's being op in a warzone. Catch you alone cross dressing at a pylon trying to be cool with your offbrand oakely's.

Edited by VixenRawR

but see this is exactly why i don't think that sorc heals are the root of the problem. all of the things you list as problems are shared between all of the sorc specs, not just the healers. i came up with similar ideas for how to fix them, but got called a troll last time i posted them. second time for the win: take away bastion, take away phase walk, and take away innervate on the move.

Yes. And that is the reason that all DoT specs apart from Hatred (and sorc...) underperform.

There are so many Sorcs dps or heals that their HoTs diminish any DoT.

Only single target specs survive. The magnitude of off-healing is unacceptable for the existing dps.

Lethality also off-heals highly but the dps is no way comparable - that is if you find one in wzs.

Edited by Aetideus

I say let them even keep bastion. Just remove the ability to use barrier while stunned or mezzed. And get rid of phase walk entirely.

I agree that these two abilities should not be activated while stunned/mezzed. but I think that's also a HUGE nerf that would probably put them below operatives as the best healers, so I think all other issues you discussed need to be side bared if you're going to do something like this. not that that's a bad thing. a major port of the problem with sorc healing is that they've been the best healing AC for far too long. things have really stagnated.

sorcs aren't the only class that can play their bag of tricks while stunned though. juggs, PTs, Mercs (IO) all have significant dcds that can be activated while stunned. personally, I find entrench more offensive than any of those abilities (including barrier/PW) because entrench can last 20s, so it feels like I can't ever cc a sniper. I know that's how the class is designed, but just talking about CC-related frustrations, mine isn't that a sorc has the extra ways to break. it's that snipers and warriors are immune for so long or during such crucial times, respectively.

also, the problem with bastion, imo, is that it absorbs dmg. I think the uninterruptable thing is reasonable, but coming out of 8s of immunity just to be immune and able to cast anything is kind of ridiculous.

I agree that these two abilities should not be activated while stunned/mezzed. but I think that's also a HUGE nerf that would probably put them below operatives as the best healers, so I think all other issues you discussed need to be side bared if you're going to do something like this. not that that's a bad thing. a major port of the problem with sorc healing is that they've been the best healing AC for far too long. things have really stagnated.

sorcs aren't the only class that can play their bag of tricks while stunned though. juggs, PTs, Mercs (IO) all have significant dcds that can be activated while stunned. personally, I find entrench more offensive than any of those abilities (including barrier/PW) because entrench can last 20s, so it feels like I can't ever cc a sniper. I know that's how the class is designed, but just talking about CC-related frustrations, mine isn't that a sorc has the extra ways to break. it's that snipers and warriors are immune for so long or during such crucial times, respectively.

also, the problem with bastion, imo, is that it absorbs dmg. I think the uninterruptable thing is reasonable, but coming out of 8s of immunity just to be immune and able to cast anything is kind of ridiculous.

Sorc's are really over powered and everyone knows it. So nerf operatives to fix the problem.

Honestly id be content if they just fixed it to where those abilities could not be used while stunned. I don't think it would make them worse than operatives, but we can agree to disagree on that front.

I have stated in other threads that I don't think anything should be useable while stunned except for the stun breaker on any class or spec.

Honestly id be content if they just fixed it to where those abilities could not be used while stunned. I don't think it would make them worse than operatives, but we can agree to disagree on that front.

I have stated in other threads that I don't think anything should be useable while stunned except for the stun breaker on any class or spec.

If anything, more defensives should be available to any class while stunned.

Afraid someone might fight back when your stunlock ends?

More abilities usable while stunned? Then what the hell is the point of stunning someone? Oh you are "stunned" but not really? I mean you are basically saying cc shouldn't exist then. I agree that the ability to use any ability while cc'd should be blocked. The point of cc is to prevent people from using abilities while stunned. Might as well remove the stun and make it a root at that point, if you can just use all your dcds while stunned.

You are ignorant to think people are running around stun locking. Only three classes can use back to back hard stuns. Sins (Spike, Electrocute) and PT's (Electrodart, Carbonize) And Jugg Tanks (Force Choke, Backhand). Yet sadly operatives are the only ones blamed for this ability when they lost hidden strike a long time ago due to complaints. Even though Sins at the time were dominating Ranked. (Spike = Hidden Strike).

In order of duration, the Jugg will cc the longest, then pt then sin with hard stuns. The only class realistically capable of killing someone in the duration of "STUN LOCKING" would be a PT and it would have to have everything available. Shoulder cannon, full charge energy burst, relic procs, pvp set bonus proc and of course lucky crits. On the other hand the player would have to have no cc breaker, or cc escape, or ability to use while stunned to die in this "stun lock".

If you are considering stun lock from a 1 v 2 or more than you are even more ignorant. You expect yourself to survive a gank like that? That you should be able to run around and escape everything fighting 3 people? That's the sorc mentality that has already ruined pvp for so many. It's OP, and needs to go. If you hate stun locking then tell them to fix resolve, make roots build resolve, increase resolve from knockbacks and reduce the plethora of cc from every single class. No one needs that many. Sorcs shouldn't be able to slow you with most of their abilities. Force slow should be their slow, other attacks shouldn't have a built in slow. CC should be separated from damage in my opinion. This would also save some heartache.

Edited by VixenRawR