Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

OP's and KOTET

CKNORTH

The thing with the so called solo ops is that they'll have the same replay value as kotfe - zero. At least that's my take from both solo revan fight and the EC. Well EC had some value because people were grinding it to get the rancor but that was it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solo thing, as I said, is a suggestion to have your cake and eat it to, but if they don't I won't care so long as they keep them as self-contained or at most inconsequential tangent stories. But not another "To find out how it ends, go to youtube" tale.

All you need is a brain, persistence, communication, and a little bit of skill and you can get through most ops fine. I got through DP SM a few weeks ago fine with 4 newbie DPS, two unfamiliar tanks who did it previously however a LONG time ago, a rusty healer, and I, who never healed a op outside of TFB before that. We didn't wipe at all until the last boss. No one was geared amazingly well, and even some of the DPS had a bunch of blue/green gear below 192 and one tank had 216 and the other 220 comm crystals, along with I and mere 208 common data gear. The DPS wasn't outstanding, as on the last fight Bestia even came down since we took so long to kill all 4 dread masters, but with my instructions we got through it all well and good.

As it is their not making operations, they don't need to spend extra resources all because a handful of people want jesus companion to carry them through everything.

The thing with the so called solo ops is that they'll have the same replay value as kotfe - zero. At least that's my take from both solo revan fight and the EC. Well EC had some value because people were grinding it to get the rancor but that was it.

Well just to be clear, I'm not here championing solo ops, all I'm saying is, if you're going to have the plot of the game depend on it, solo players should be able to do it. Otherwise, just keep it a self-contained piece or a tangent ala Temple that you can safely skip if you're not interested in raiding. The latter would be my preference (barring, again, that I could get to witness my army of alts battle alongside me which would be epic), I don't have any particular desire to head through a new operation even in solo mode, I'd just do it to continue the story much like I grudgingly slog through Blood Hunt for SOR.

All you need is a brain, persistence, communication, and a little bit of skill and you can get through most ops fine. I got through DP SM a few weeks ago fine with 4 newbie DPS, two unfamiliar tanks who did it previously however a LONG time ago, a rusty healer, and I, who never healed a op outside of TFB before that. We didn't wipe at all until the last boss. No one was geared amazingly well, and even some of the DPS had a bunch of blue/green gear below 192 and one tank had 216 and the other 220 comm crystals, along with I and mere 208 common data gear. The DPS wasn't outstanding, as on the last fight Bestia even came down since we took so long to kill all 4 dread masters, but with my instructions we got through it all well and good.

As it is their not making operations, they don't need to spend extra resources all because a handful of people want jesus companion to carry them through everything.

You also need time in most cases. It can take 30 min to an hour for the group to form. Once started, its another hour to clear, more if there are wipes. Whoever said 5-6 hours is exaggerating, and so is the dude saying its only 40 minutes.

You also need an ok computer. Until I built my new comp, ops were literally impossible.

You are right though, its irrelevant. They already said they wont be locking story behind ops, like with Oricon. But I think the number of solo story players is more than a handful, just based on thier development target over the last 2 years. Most the other types of players moved on to other games that released group stuff.

Me? I just watched the conclusion of oricon on YouTube, shrug.

So any time in an Operation when someone doesn't know the fights, won't spacebar through anything, and doesn't listen to instructions while narration is taking place, doesn't bother you in the slightest?

I certainly don't mind at all. New to the op or fp? Seen it a million times but still like to watch it? Watch it, I don't care, that's part of the allure of this game. I've been playing for 5 years and still watching almost every cutscene if I havn't done it in a week or more.

LOL @ Dread Masters story being the best in the game. A story with 1-dimentional overpowered pack of Evil Sue villains, utilizing "evil plot of the day" concept from cheap sunday cartoons, no relevant side characters, no direction or focus, no impact on the state of the galaxy or even its major characters etc.

A game that has such gems as Agent story yet people pick the least original and developed 'story' as the best seriously...

Edited by Pietrastor

LOL @ Dread Masters story being the best in the game. A story with 1-dimentional overpowered pack of Evil Sue villains, utilizing "evil plot of the day" concept from cheap sunday cartoons, no relevant side characters, no direction or focus, no impact on the state of the galaxy or even its major characters etc.

A game that has such gems as Agent story yet people pick the least original and developed 'story' as the best seriously...

Yeah... people really aim low for what they consider 'best'. Most of the truly 'dark' companions and villians are just as 1-dimensional. Sadly we don't have a lot of Watcher Ones or Pravens out there as most people just think if it is 'evil' it must be psycho homicidal or it just isn't 'dark' enough.

The reason you wont see any operations or flashpoints is because of one man: George Smith

8 months ago..........

George Smith (Raid designer) Leaves SWTOR to work on Mass Effect

"I wanted to say thank you for all the effort that you put into SWTOR over the years. I have enjoyed raiding in this game so much over the last few years. Some of my favorite memories the last 3 years are of killing bosses in SWTOR with my friends and guild mates. I wish you all the best of luck on Mass Effect!"

Nobody in Austin has any clue how to make group content. Notice that they usually break things when trying to update the gear drops.

The DM story was told with OPS, whatever you could solo were sidequests. Also labeling the DM story as a fiasco is hmm, cute. We're talking about the best story told in the game.

Here is my cute opinion. :p:o

I beg to differ...Dread Masters is definitely a fiasco. Any story can be the greatest story ever told...but if you don't get to see/experience the ending, it's a giant fail. And I think many people like myself, that play solo never got to see the end. I play for the story, and I need to know how something ends.

Can you imagine Star Wars--A New Hope...and you're loving it and it's building and you're having the time of your life...and then they cut your cable, take away your Blu-ray/dvd...or throw you out of the theater? You never get to see how the Death Star was destroyed or what happens after.

That's how it is with story that gets put behind OPS. :(

#yes_to_solo_ops

Edited by Lunafox

I beg to differ...Dread Masters is definitely a fiasco. Any story can be the greatest story ever told...but if you don't get to see/experience the ending, it's a giant fail. And I think many people like myself, that play solo never got to see the end. I play for the story, and I need to know how something ends.

Can you imagine Star Wars--A New Hope...and you're loving it and it's building and you're having the time of your life...and then they cut your cable, take away your Blu-ray/dvd...or throw you out of the theater? You never get to see how the Death Star was destroyed or what happens after.

#yes_to_solo_ops

What she said....:D

The only way it could be an act of revenge is if they pulled another dread master fiasco where they locked the story content behind ops.

Other than that it's about the only thing that's going to save this game. Monthly chapter cut scenes releases aren't going to do it.

That was a fiasco? Thank the Force! I thought I was the only one who saw the stupidity in that!

#yes_to_solo_ops

Oh hey Luna! Glad to see you do more than peruse the fanfiction forums! :p

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

That was a fiasco? Thank the Force! I thought I was the only one who saw the stupidity in that!

Oh hey Luna! Glad to see you do more than peruse the fanfiction forums! :p

Hey Mayhem :) Haha, that almost makes me sound lazy :o;) Indeed I do. In fact, I split my time between General and Fanfic with a dash of Story and Lore for good measure. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Geez people are lost here.

First and foremost, the DM story is a secondary one, meaning, it has no actual effect of the everyday life of the galaxy. Some NPC might say a sentence somewhere, but that's it, one can make a reference point out of this...

Just a general rundown, BW storytelling at it's finest, a secondary story arc beats some of the class stories, but it's subjective, however in that case one might say it beats all of the class stories.

As for the new hope reference: I would go over to my friend and watch it. Sharing the experience, the fun, whatever you can think of.

But more importantly, as an adult I would figure it out. I mean just because something is not my liking or don't goes as planned am I suppose to just be angry about it and accept it(and complain)? Heck no, work something out to overcome the obstacle.

Ya'll can say any excuse you wan't, but the bottom line is that ya'll don't wanna do it.

I found the most enjoyment/replayablity of it due to the challenge. /shrug. To me, fighting epic enemies that could actually kill you was exciting. To each their own. You may choose to characterize your villains based on what they say in a cutscene. I sort mine by what is actually required to defeat them.

Were this a movie I might feel different, but the gameplay matters to me. I do not separate the two. I recognize that many players do. /shrug.

Yet, with that said, I am not sure I really agree with your characterization of the DM story arc on pure story merit. I thought it was cool as hell, evolved over time and had arguably the most epic finale of anything the game has produced. But, as I've said that's just my opinion.

Any story can be the greatest story ever told...but if you don't get to see/experience the ending, it's a giant fail. And I think many people like myself, that play solo never got to see the end. I play for the story, and I need to know how something ends.

a) I'm sure you are aware that nearly all of the story arc takes place over the span of 5 different Operations, so it is far more than the ending you have chosen not to see.

b) Nothing is stopping you from doing the Operations if you want to see it. I mean literally nothing.

c) The "ending" as you put it is very light on cutscenes. The bulk of it takes place actually combating the Dread Masters or their guards/proxies. If you are saying you want to "see the end", whether you realize it or not you are saying you want to do the encounters.

d) I am unclear on why group content cannot have backstory without players who choose to avoid group content feeling entitled to experience it. You have a choice to do it or not do it. IMO that is enough.

I am completely clear on the poor design decision of how Oricon unfolded. I recognize people were disappointed. It did not need to be structured in that manner. I get that.

But leave it at that. The sole flaw there was the quest chain continuing with Descent into the Dark Fortress. It should have simply ended then and there, with a heads up that if you were willing, the Operations were there.

However the idea that there needed to be some sort of solo path to defeat the Dread Masters - IMO that's taking it way too far. We do not get group versions of every story in the game. I have never seen a single good reason why the opposite has to be true. There is no lack of solo content in this game.

Edited by gabigool

My answers in blue...

a) I'm sure you are aware that nearly all of the story arc takes place over the span of 5 different Operations, so it is far more than the ending you have chosen not to see.

Actually I didn't know that there were 5 different ops...I know there were dailies and the interactions with the cutscenes with Marr and the other Sith on Oricon...I did all that stuff...I knew from other stories in the game about the dread masters and hoped to see it continue. Also...It's not that I 'chose' not to see or do it..more on that in a sec...

b) Nothing is stopping you from doing the Operations if you want to see it. I mean literally nothing.

Actually, you'd be mistaken in saying there is nothing stopping me from doing Operations. There is...I have severe social anxiety issues that keep me from being able to the operations. I don't respond well to the pressure of having to figure out riddles and quirks when other people are rushing me along...and I certainly don't respond well to people berating me for whatever reason...being too slow, or wanting to see the scenes. It's debilitating. I just can't. This is why I avoid social interaction in the game. I do better with writing and discussing things because I can take my time, so my anxiety issues may not be obvious, but to put me in a high-pressure situation where people are counting on me...I just can't do it. I don't want to let people down. I tried doing some pvp for the DvL event, and someone verbally abused me several times even though I tried to do my best...I felt paralyzed for the rest of the day, and I will never do it again. Normal people just assume that everyone is like them. They're not. :/

c) The "ending" as you put it is very light on cutscenes. The bulk of it takes place actually combating the Dread Masters or their guards/proxies. If you are saying you want to "see the end", whether you realize it or not you are saying you want to do the encounters. All I know is I'd like to see a complete story, start to finish. Putting stories behind ops sucks for those that are unable to do ops. I don't expect the rewards ops people get, I just want to experience what happens. I need no rewards.

d) I am unclear on why group content cannot have backstory without players who choose to avoid group content feeling entitled to experience it. You have a choice to do it or not do it. IMO that is enough.

Again, I don't choose to have the issues that I do...I avoid group content because I have to for my health. That doesn't mean I should be deprived of experiencing a story.

I am completely clear on the poor design decision of how Oricon unfolded. I recognize people were disappointed. It did not need to be structured in that manner. I get that. Thank you.

But leave it at that. The sole flaw there was the quest chain continuing with Descent into the Dark Fortress. It should have simply ended then and there, with a heads up that if you were willing, the Operations were there.

However the idea that there needed to be some sort of solo path to defeat the Dread Masters - IMO that's taking it way too far. We do not get group versions of every story in the game. I have never seen a single good reason why the opposite has to be true. There is no lack of solo content in this game.

If they want to give OPs people special stories, they can do so, but don't involve everyone...see they get people started on this stuff with the assigning of the situation, where you do the quests that eventually turn into dailies. A lot of disappointment would have been avoided, if they kept the story solely to OPS. Let all the story be told in OPs if that's the way they're going to do it, but don't start people off on these quests and then they never get to see the full scope of what was in the story. :/ I see no point in going backwards...it would be nice if they had a solo version just for story (no rewards) but at this point in time it's probably a waste in resources. I just want to make sure in the future they consider that they shouldn't mix daily quest story stuff with OPs. One or the other, so people can experience the full thing.

Edited by Lunafox

Comparing the class stories to the expansion is like comparing apples and oranges.

Yes the DM's were one-dimensional -- kill the galaxy and all that. But the whole plot line spans 4 operations, and every planet in the galaxy (at that time) via the dreadseed quest line. The Dread Masters were content-rich, and Oricon was chock-full of things to do. It was a dark, scary, and difficult planet.

Then we have... what?

RotHC: Makeb. need I say more?

SoR: come onnnnnn! Talk about milking KOTOR on a weak storyline. Yavin was cool at least.

KOTFE: **** off. The emperor you killed appears in uncharted space at the head of a vast empire. Then what? I woudnt know. The premise is so weak, and the fights so boring I couldn't get past the first 10 chapters.

KOTET: More of the same.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Actually, you'd be mistaken in saying there is nothing stopping me from doing Operations. There is...I have severe social anxiety issues that keep me from being able to the operations. I don't respond well to the pressure of having to figure out riddles and quirks when other people are rushing me along...and I certainly don't respond well to people berating me for whatever reason...being too slow, or wanting to see the scenes. It's debilitating. I just can't. This is why I avoid social interaction in the game. I do better with writing and discussing things because I can take my time, so my anxiety issues may not be obvious, but to put me in a high-pressure situation where people are counting on me...I just can't do it. I don't want to let people down. I tried doing some pvp for the DvL event, and someone verbally abused me several times even though I tried to do my best...I felt paralyzed for the rest of the day, and I will never do it again. Normal people just assume that everyone is like them.

This is a MMO RPG. Raids are a big part of this genre.

As for anxiety, there are jerks, and there are cool people. Then there's a bunch of people in between. You can't worry about the jerks.

If you say you've never done a particular operation before, people are a lot more understanding. Do you do any flashpoints? Some operations, like Eternity Vault, are actually easier than some flashpoints.

You also can do homework ahead of time, before attempting an operation, check out dulfy.net, or google search "dulfy & eternity vault" for example. Being prepare is a huge confidence booster. Then imagine the sense of accomplishment when you've beaten something new with a bunch of strangers. :D

Anyway, if you happen to be on Shadowlands server, I could form a group. If you think you would do really badly, don't worry about it. A lot of storymode operations can be done with 6 or 7 players, so you carried through the content. You don't have to voice chat, or talk either.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

My answers in blue...

If you can, quote your own post to see what happens. That makes it incredibly hard to respond to your points.

gabigol: b) Nothing is stopping you from doing the Operations if you want to see it. I mean literally nothing.

Actually, you'd be mistaken in saying there is nothing stopping me from doing Operations.

:( I feel for you, my son has similar issues. There are several very valid reasons why people cannot or will not run raids. Locking a major story behind them is very poor design.

What Wildstar did was to put the lore/story heavy parts in their equivalent to Solo Mode FP's. Basically a side (or main) mission with solo-capable fights and puzzles related to the various fights in the raid. Since these instances don't require the heavy combat focus required by the raid they're more free to give in-depth exposition. (Nexus is what? :eek: )

gabigol: However the idea that there needed to be some sort of solo path to defeat the Dread Masters - IMO that's taking it way too far. We do not get group versions of every story in the game. I have never seen a single good reason why the opposite has to be true.

I'd rather see an alternative mission chain. A group of heroes has been tasked with taking down the Dread Masters but if they are to stand any chance of success the MacGuffin needs to be activated. Unfortunately they've already started the assault so you're the only hope. *play through the mission chain* The cutscene at the end shows you activating the MacGuffin overlooking the throne room while a group of eight NPCs act out the end-phase of the Dread Council fight. Completion also triggers the follow-on cutscene.

If they want to give OPs people special stories, they can do so, but don't involve everyone...see they get people started on this stuff with the assigning of the situation, where you do the quests that eventually turn into dailies. A lot of disappointment would have been avoided, if they kept the story solely to OPS. Let all the story be told in OPs if that's the way they're going to do it, but don't start people off on these quests and then they never get to see the full scope of what was in the story. :/

Fully agreed and from what I've read it seems like Austin gets that now.

I see no point in going backwards...it would be nice if they had a solo version just for story (no rewards) but at this point in time it's probably a waste in resources. I just want to make sure in the future they consider that they shouldn't mix daily quest story stuff with OPs. One or the other, so people can experience the full thing.

The problem with a solo-mode version is that it would be boring. It's pretty much just a string of fights. If they were going to make it any more meaty from a story perspective, we'd be much better served playing through a slightly different set of events.

#yes_to_solo_ops

{Except there is a thing called youtube. Its this crazy service online that has all these videos for free. I think you can google it.}

This is a MMO RPG. Raids are a big part of this genre.

As for anxiety, there are jerks, and there are cool people. Then there's a bunch of people in between. You can't worry about the jerks.

If you say you've never done a particular operation before, people are a lot more understanding. Do you do any flashpoints? Some operations, like Eternity Vault, are actually easier than some flashpoints.

You also can do homework ahead of time, before attempting an operation, check out dulfy.net, or google search "dulfy & eternity vault" for example. Being prepare is a huge confidence booster. Then imagine the sense of accomplishment when you've beaten something new with a bunch of strangers. :D

Anyway, if you happen to be on Shadowlands server, I could form a group. If you think you would do really badly, don't worry about it. A lot of storymode operations can be done with 6 or 7 players, so you carried through the content. You don't have to voice chat, or talk either.

Thank you for the kind words and advice, I can tell that you're good-hearted and mean well.

I don't do anything in the game that i can't get through by myself, or with my hubby. If I truly can't manage something on my own, like the last three levels of the arena, he logs in to help me. But 99% of the time I play solo.

Being prepared is good advice, but for me it goes beyond confidence or being prepared or not letting jerks get to me. It's a physical reaction...I get panic attacks, and when I get those, I get the racing heart, which makes me feel faint or like I'm going to be sick. It makes me get confused easily...I cry...then I can't see the screen anymore and I'm done...I think you get the picture. The medication has side effects that interfere with other aspects of my health and lifestyle. I find that it's just easier to avoid the things that cause the anxiety and panic attacks. When I steer clear of that, I feel fine, so that's why I only do the things in game that I can do on my own...I probably spend way more time in my stronghold decorating than the average bear. I just wanted to put across, that I hope Bioware will understand to keep the OPS things right separate. I know people like them...I support them getting more of what they like. I just don't want to get excluded from stories.

Before they brought in God bot buddy, I didn't get to see a lot of stuff. I was never so happy as when the bot was put in with the solo versions, cause I got to see the story and participate in stuff like the Korriban and Tython attacks, and Rishi, Rakata and Manaan. I loved it. :D

If you can, quote your own post to see what happens. That makes it incredibly hard to respond to your points.

:( I feel for you, my son has similar issues. There are several very valid reasons why people cannot or will not run raids. Locking a major story behind them is very poor design.

What Wildstar did was to put the lore/story heavy parts in their equivalent to Solo Mode FP's. Basically a side (or main) mission with solo-capable fights and puzzles related to the various fights in the raid. Since these instances don't require the heavy combat focus required by the raid they're more free to give in-depth exposition. (Nexus is what? :eek: )

I'd rather see an alternative mission chain. A group of heroes has been tasked with taking down the Dread Masters but if they are to stand any chance of success the MacGuffin needs to be activated. Unfortunately they've already started the assault so you're the only hope. *play through the mission chain* The cutscene at the end shows you activating the MacGuffin overlooking the throne room while a group of eight NPCs act out the end-phase of the Dread Council fight. Completion also triggers the follow-on cutscene.

Fully agreed and from what I've read it seems like Austin gets that now.

The problem with a solo-mode version is that it would be boring. It's pretty much just a string of fights. If they were going to make it any more meaty from a story perspective, we'd be much better served playing through a slightly different set of events.

Sorry about that, and here I thought I was making life easier doing it that way. :o

I'm sorry to hear that your son has the same sort of issues. It's not an easy thing to deal with especially when you're young. It's good when people understand these things.

It is poor design the way they did that, and hopefully like you say Bioware gets that now. I haven't played Wildstar, but I like your ideas.

I'm all for the OPs people to have more OPs, I just don't want to be excluded from the stories, so I hope they can continue to find ways to give soloers and groupers fulfilling content.

Anyways, thanks for the understanding. :)

{Except there is a thing called youtube. Its this crazy service online that has all these videos for free. I think you can google it.}

I will do just that, thank you, and have done so for other things before...but it's not quite the same as experiencing it yourself with your own toon. It's never as much fun when you see an unfamiliar character going through. May not matter to some...but it matters to me.

With the godbot buddy, we should be able to have the best of both worlds...story people can see and experience the story (without rewards/prizes) and those who love OPs more than life itself, well they can do them all they like and get all the lovely rewards they've earned and deserve. I'm all for it. No reason why anyone has to go without. :)

Edited by Lunafox

I don't do anything in the game that i can't get through by myself, or with my hubby. If I truly can't manage something on my own, like the last three levels of the arena, he logs in to help me. But 99% of the time I play solo.

Being prepared is good advice, but for me it goes beyond confidence or being prepared or not letting jerks get to me. It's a physical reaction...I get panic attacks, and when I get those, I get the racing heart, which makes me feel faint or like I'm going to be sick. It makes me get confused easily...I cry...then I can't see the screen anymore and I'm done...I think you get the picture. The medication has side effects that interfere with other aspects of my health and lifestyle. I find that it's just easier to avoid the things that cause the anxiety and panic attacks. When I steer clear of that, I feel fine, so that's why I only do the things in game that I can do on my own...I probably spend way more time in my stronghold decorating than the average bear. I just wanted to put across, that I hope Bioware will understand to keep the OPS things right separate. I know people like them...I support them getting more of what they like. I just don't want to get excluded from stories.

As I'm certain without the following aside this will come off as cold/ignorant/heartless etc - please understand I have far more dealings with your situation than one would assume and am intimately familiar with both how crippling it can be and (at times, worse) how poorly misunderstood it is by essentially everyone. So please, understand, I get it.

Reality is that some games aren't going to be designed with you in mind. Aspects of some MMO's are going to fall into that category. And I know you understand this, because you're smart. And I know you're smart because I read your book. And you probably also understand that most people who have expressed disinterest in grouping do not have DSM-validated reasons for doing so.

And so while I empathize with what you're dealing with, I think in a clearly labeled MMO the onus isn't on the studio to ensure every piece of content is accessible to solo players. And - in a "story-focused" MMO, some of that content is going to be story.

So I look at your reply as finding a technical hole in my wording, rather than a hole in my point. And there are certainly - as mentioned above - plenty of ways to "see" the story complete in the Operations without doing them. I am also positive someone would be happy to stream a run at your request watching the cutscenes. I know this because I would be happy to do so.

Did the lines get crossed with Oricon? Yup. But I do not feel the mistake was to make the final encounters with the Dread Masters group-only. It was automatically giving the next quest. That's all.

Group play should not be taboo.

As I'm certain without the following aside this will come off as cold/ignorant/heartless etc - please understand I have far more dealings with your situation than one would assume and am intimately familiar with both how crippling it can be and (at times, worse) how poorly misunderstood it is by essentially everyone. So please, understand, I get it.

Reality is that some games aren't going to be designed with you in mind. Aspects of some MMO's are going to fall into that category. And I know you understand this, because you're smart. And I know you're smart because I read your book. And you probably also understand that most people who have expressed disinterest in grouping do not have DSM-validated reasons for doing so.

And so while I empathize with what you're dealing with, I think in a clearly labeled MMO the onus isn't on the studio to ensure every piece of content is accessible to solo players. And - in a "story-focused" MMO, some of that content is going to be story.

So I look at your reply as finding a technical hole in my wording, rather than a hole in my point. And there are certainly - as mentioned above - plenty of ways to "see" the story complete in the Operations without doing them. I am also positive someone would be happy to stream a run at your request watching the cutscenes. I know this because I would be happy to do so.

Did the lines get crossed with Oricon? Yup. But I do not feel the mistake was to make the final encounters with the Dread Masters group-only. It was automatically giving the next quest. That's all.

Group play should not be taboo.

It is nice to know that you understand, so often, people don't get it and while their hearts may be in the right place...they don't get it--like telling a depressed person to cheer up...they mean well, but it goes deeper. I'm grateful that you took the time to explain, so thank you for that. :)

I do understand, that gaming companies don't always think of these things, and that they cater to a broad, general market, and sometimes there are people that are on the fringe...they enjoy the game, and much of the content, but can't participate in all of it for whatever reasons they have, all of which are valid and have meaning for that person.

I don't blame them for this at all, I know not everything is going to be something that I can do...like pvp and ops/group stuff...it's just too high pressure for someone like me...so that's why I stay away from it, but I wouldn't ever say to stop making that stuff...I wouldn't want to deny anyone their type of fun. And I would hope that they feel the same way about people like me. So I am cool with OPs having stories and PvP having stories. What isn't cool is when you can start a story, get into it and then find you have to do all this stuff you can't to get the full experience. I just don't want to start something I can't finish...so if story is for OPs crowd only, then it stays for them. You queue up to do the OPs, your story begins with the OP...then the rest comes in the rest of the OPs.

The bad design of Dread Masters is that anyone can start it and get to a certain point but that's it. It sucks not experiencing the ending. I have watched the things on youtube, but it's not the same. If in the future, they have the chapters like KOTFE and then something else for the raiders, thats fine. I just don't want to be pulled into something I later find I can't complete.

I wasn't looking for holes in your wording, it just sounded like you might not have been aware that some people struggle or can't do OPs. I wasn't sure, but now that you've explained your view, it helps.

Anyways, I think like another poster said, Bioware understands their missteps with the Dread Masters activities, and hopefully that won't be an issue in the future.

I never meant to imply that group activities should be taboo...they're just not for me. I'm fine with people getting OPs...I support it...I just want to see Ops story/activity stay within the OP. Long story short, I just don't want to start things I can't finish. We may just have to agree to disagree, and that's fine. ^^

And I do hope you enjoyed the book :)

It is nice to know that you understand, so often, people don't get it and while their hearts may be in the right place...they don't get it--like telling a depressed person to cheer up...they mean well, but it goes deeper. I'm grateful that you took the time to explain, so thank you for that. :)

I do understand, that gaming companies don't always think of these things, and that they cater to a broad, general market, and sometimes there are people that are on the fringe...they enjoy the game, and much of the content, but can't participate in all of it for whatever reasons they have, all of which are valid and have meaning for that person.

I don't blame them for this at all, I know not everything is going to be something that I can do...like pvp and ops/group stuff...it's just too high pressure for someone like me...so that's why I stay away from it, but I wouldn't ever say to stop making that stuff...I wouldn't want to deny anyone their type of fun. And I would hope that they feel the same way about people like me. So I am cool with OPs having stories and PvP having stories. What isn't cool is when you can start a story, get into it and then find you have to do all this stuff you can't to get the full experience. I just don't want to start something I can't finish...so if story is for OPs crowd only, then it stays for them. You queue up to do the OPs, your story begins with the OP...then the rest comes in the rest of the OPs.

The bad design of Dread Masters is that anyone can start it and get to a certain point but that's it. It sucks not experiencing the ending. I have watched the things on youtube, but it's not the same. If in the future, they have the chapters like KOTFE and then something else for the raiders, thats fine. I just don't want to be pulled into something I later find I can't complete.

I wasn't looking for holes in your wording, it just sounded like you might not have been aware that some people struggle or can't do OPs. I wasn't sure, but now that you've explained your view, it helps.

Anyways, I think like another poster said, Bioware understands their missteps with the Dread Masters activities, and hopefully that won't be an issue in the future.

I never meant to imply that group activities should be taboo...they're just not for me. I'm fine with people getting OPs...I support it...I just want to see Ops story/activity stay within the OP. Long story short, I just don't want to start things I can't finish. We may just have to agree to disagree, and that's fine. ^^

And I do hope you enjoyed the book :)

Things like Dread Masters turned those who were into story against operations- Shadow of Revan was just the perfect way to handle it, a story solo mode and an operation, either working to conclude the story. If any story is relevant enough to need an arc like the whole Dread War quest chain, it needs a solo mode and it's a moot topic in terms of Bioware have come out and said it was a mistake and won't happen again. I get your point about being able to start something you can't finish and the thing they don't get is that part of people not caring about operations is because there are people who don't think it's a problem to lock story content behind it. All we need is for both groups to always defend the other's right to their chosen content, i.e. solo story mode access and an operation access.

I've OCD, pretty bad anxiety to the point I'm strongly averse to being around people- the game allows me interaction where I don't need to worry about touch. I'm not into raiding per se, but I do enjoy group stuff along with solo. I can't handle talking with a headset, so mostly I hear my guild on our team speak and type back. High pressure, mostly pushed on me by anxiety and broken routine can get to me and I have to take a break and go do solo things all by myself because I'm headed into anxiety attacks over perceived lack of capability. I'll get migraines so I'm sensitive of how I'm feeling and will avoid group stuff whenever I feel like I'm that way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.