Go Girls... am I the only one that gets this?

shannynandriver

Like all games I'm used to being refered to as a man in SWTOR

I have found myself starting to ignore it and just move on with the game.

But the second I jump on vent I am inundated with whispers about "how sexy I sound" or "What the %$&*, you're a chick?". That or the vent goes silent.

Am I the only one who gets this?

And fellas, find something original to say. I'd love to have a conversation with you all about the game. But I don't want to do the cyber nasty with you. I don't want to hear about how 'amazing' I am... You don't know me!!! ARGH

anyway my rant's over

We women can be amazing players too, don't disregard us or assume we're bad, most of us take it just as seriously as the rest of you.

~may the force be with you~

UPDATE

I do not experience this with my guild mates they are the most lovely people I could hope to play with. It's just a generalised observation from years of playing these games that I was curious about - as I don't have many female gamer friends. Boys, this is not an attack at all of you and the ones it applies to know who you are and I'm sure most of the time do it in good spirits.

To insinuate that I'm being a "drama queen" is just silly. Yes this is a "gender" based discussion but I'm sure everyone has brought up a topic that others consider trivial before so if this is not your thing, there is an abundance of other topics to explore in these forums.

Edited by shannynandriver

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistically speaking women make up about 30% of the General Gaming community. Most of the female players of MMO's I've known typically play as male characters/pass themselves off as men to avoid just such situations.

Internet gremlins (read Trolls) have the maturity of a 6 year old. I'm actually pretty surprised you'd use any kind of Voice service at all. Did you stop or do you still muddle though the weirdos?

Oh I muddle through it...

Like you said most of them are kids.

For some aspects of the game (especially pvp) vent is very useful, and as I'm quite competitive I have no issues belting it out over the net :p

I always play female characters, though I can see where your friends are coming from there.

Like all games I'm used to being refered to as a man in SWTOR

I have found myself starting to ignore it and just move on with the game.

But the second I jump on vent I am inundated with whispers about "how sexy I sound" or "What the %$&*, you're a chick?"

Am I the only one who gets this?

And fellas, find something original to say. I'd love to have a conversation with you all about the game. But I don't want to do the cyber nasty with you. I don't want to hear about how 'amazing' I am... You don't know me!!! ARGH

anyway my rant's over

We women can be amazing players too, don't disregard us or assume we're bad, most of us take it just as seriously as the rest of you.

~may the force be with you~

Impossible. There are no women on the internets.

I usually avoid such assumptions, not because I'm some maniac obsessed with political correctness, but because I believe making any assumptions in life ever is a weakness. So I usually resort to gender neutral pronouns like "them" and so forth.

However, as of late, I've pondered a new approach: assuming everyone is female, to contrast the usual tendency of people assuming everyone is male.

So whenever I feel like using said approach, I start addressing everyone as "she," even when they're playing male characters.

Fun times are had.

I usually go with the assumption that 98% of the players I run into are men because of the fact when I see a female character it's more than usually a guy with excuse of "I want a nice butt to look at while I'm playing."

My husband does the same and I say it's a totally valid excuse. You spend goodness knows how many hours playing an MMO, least you can do for yourself is to make something you enjoy looking at the rear end of. :D

Gaming in general is heavily male-dominated; for better or worse, it's the truth. I'll almost always assume that the player on the other side of the toon is a guy. As it stands, I don't really care whether the person behind the toon is a guy or a girl, so long as they're not a jerk.

Edited by Temprienne

I am very well aware of the fact that I am in the minority with regards to this opinion, but as a male gamer, I really could not give a damn what gender you are. Why do I care what you have between your legs when I am playing?

If you can play your character as well as the next player, then it really has no bearing on it.

It starts to make a difference when you get to know one another (fellow guild members for example) because males and females quite often have a differing sense of humour, or act differently towards their friends.

As for the male players with female chars... I join the ones with the "I just want to look at something nice" opinion. I see nothing wrong with the attitude, so long as you are aware of it, and don't extend the attitude towards other players (females in particular).

As a one-off thing though... No point in making a big deal out peoples gender over the web. This is an MMO, not 4chan after all.

Lol, I know this all too well. Although, I've noticed over the last 2 1/2 years or so, people have calmed down and now I rarely get the "OMG GIRL!1!!!!!1" thing on vent and in game.

When I first started playing MMOs, oh geez, a decade ago, I used to get really offended when I would be referred to as "he." That ended after about 6months though, now I just accept my virtual sex change and go with it.

I kind of enjoy the excitement in a vent server when people realize I'm female, I've heard some of my favorite pick up lines from it XD

Its the guys that go way overboard and get too explicit I have issues with. Fortunately, I'm pretty much always with my husband, so he's right there to tell them to back off and if I'm not with him, I'm with my guildies who I've known for years now and they take on the big brother role and chase off anyone bugging me.

Back 'in the day' when I first started playing EQ, I was playing a male Ranger. I decided one day to make an enchanter... an entrantress to be exact. I learned a great deal about things in the next couple of months. I learned that as a female toon, I was getting either fawning, or explicit sexual whispers. I was more bothered by the fawning actually. I was being given stuff right and left. I was embarrassed at what i was seeing from my fellow males, albeit I'm sure most were not men.

Internet anonymity brings out some type of creepiness is people. Anyway, I'm glad more women are prevalent in the game, and that the overall age of the MMO player is much higher than it was in those days. My guild is about 30% women, but they are all married to members of the guild, and all but 1 I've known in real life because their husbands, and they are real life friends.

Personally, I don't understand this trolling stuff. Why would anyone want to troll? What possible reason do they have for doing so? More importantly, I'm curious how these people manage real world socializing. In all my time, I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

As for flirting with women on the vent, don't they find it odd and quite awkward that they're five guys hitting on one girl? Seems disturbing to me.

Edited by RThanues