Stealth nerf or unintended?

DethEater

I will not engage in the discussions going on in this thread, but I would like to know one thing:

Why would anyone use TH for lockboxes now when the chance is high that you make a minus with a mission? And the items you get are all vendor trash. I really don't see a point in these missions in their current form.

As usual (seeker droid, slot machine, slicing, heroics, TH lockboxes), the nerf is exaggerated up to a point (not in all cases) of complete uselessness. There has to remain an incentive for players to do something. I get it, credit bots are a problem. But if the solution always hurts the normal player, this is not very nice.

At least let TH lockboxes be somewhat worthwhile. Otherwise, just take TH lockboxes out of the game. There is no need for them in this form.

This. Did some testing last night and while 8 boxes is an extraordinarily low test pool, I made a profit on 3 of those. Clearly the only reason to take TH as a skill is for the gemstones. Pfft.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. Did some testing last night and while 8 boxes is an extraordinarily low test pool, I made a profit on 3 of those. Clearly the only reason to take TH as a skill is for the gemstones. Pfft.

In TH's defense, getting Rank 5 companion gifts is pretty convenient. I just wish they'd add the Tier 6 gifts as well.

In TH's defense, getting Rank 5 companion gifts is pretty convenient. I just wish they'd add the Tier 6 gifts as well.

I have three characters with TH for this reason, the companion gifts, I am Currious though is "Anything" actually moving on the market? 0 of my cartel items are selling either, some are getting drastically undercut or I am undercutting drastically. It seems the only thing selling at the moment are rare mats.... Is anyone else noticing this?? :(

I have three characters with TH for this reason, the companion gifts, I am Currious though is "Anything" actually moving on the market? 0 of my cartel items are selling either, some are getting drastically undercut or I am undercutting drastically. It seems the only thing selling at the moment are rare mats.... Is anyone else noticing this?? :(

It depends on what Cartel Items you're selling. If you're selling anything (other than the ultra rares) from any of the boxes that came out after 4.0 dropped then you're not going to make anything. I'd hold onto them for a year or so and then MAYBE they'll sell (that's my plan at any rate).

I've found that even the purple mats don't sell for very much because they're so much easier to get (I have only 2 Rank 50 companions and they, 7 out of 10 times, will crit and bring back purple mats, EACH). This is on Harbinger of course, so another server might have "better" prices (better for you, the seller. Not so much for the buyer).

Ultimately, the best and most consistent money maker (in the crafting realm at least) is making top tier purple mods and augments*. Implants and earpieces as well, if you have enough Exotic Isotope Stabilizers. Not "swim in the money like Scrooge McDuck" type of money, but enough to be very comfortable and consistent enough to reasonably save to buy whatever vanity item catches your eye.

*ETA: By "top tier" I mean level 64 stuff, not anything that you might Reverse Engineer from Raid drops. I imagine THOSE sell for way more.

Edited by AngFour

It depends on what Cartel Items you're selling. If you're selling anything (other than the ultra rares) from any of the boxes that came out after 4.0 dropped then you're not going to make anything. I'd hold onto them for a year or so and then MAYBE they'll sell (that's my plan at any rate).

Depends on the segment of CM items you are working.

I've made a truck-ton of credits off of pack contents from 4.0 pack releases, buying early at dumping prices and reselling. Now mind you.. I don't try to work the super rare market... as that is too narrow and lacks diversification. I work the silver and bronze armor and weapon market and buy up volumes when people are dumping them and then resell volumes a few months later at most.

Some items are not worth the time of course ... like common mounts and pets for example, but bronze and silver armor and weapons are always a profitable short cycle market if you have any sense at all of what player tastes are on your server.

Edited by Andryah

Depends on the segment of CM items you are working.

I've made a truck-ton of credits off of pack contents from 4.0 pack releases, buying early at dumping prices and reselling. Now mind you.. I don't try to work the super rare market... as that is too narrow and lacks diversification. I work the silver and bronze armor and weapon market and buy up volumes when people are dumping them and then resell volumes a few months later at most.

Some items are not worth the time of course ... like common mounts and pets for example, but bronze and silver armor and weapons are always a profitable short cycle market if you have any sense at all of what player tastes are on your server.

I occasionally check the prices on the stuff in my stash but while something might be worth 10K (up from 500 credits), I find it's not worth the hassle of listing the item because someone will undercut me five minutes later or the auction just outright expires. Either way it's really hit or miss and you have to pay a lot more attention to the market than if you just create purple mods and augments, which is always in universal demand.

Obviously YMMV. This is just what I've personally noticed :)

I occasionally check the prices on the stuff in my stash but while something might be worth 10K (up from 500 credits), I find it's not worth the hassle of listing the item because someone will undercut me five minutes later or the auction just outright expires. Either way it's really hit or miss and you have to pay a lot more attention to the market than if you just create purple mods and augments, which is always in universal demand.

Obviously YMMV. This is just what I've personally noticed :)

The trick is to buy up at default of lower pricing, in volume, hold just until the pack expires, and then begin unpacking and selling at some margin under current fair market price. But you have to have a sense of what will and will not sell later on.

Typically, I will make several million a day in profit from such items... purchased for sub 10K credits, and later selling for 80-100K + each early on and ultimately some items will sell well at 150K-1M if I still have any inventory left later. If I make a mistake and something simply never sells well, then I'm not out much capital while continuing to sell a diverse set of items on a daily basis. I don't flood the market, but I do force market prices to stay stable with a slight downward pressure. I get it right about 95% of the time.

Yeah, it takes a bit more awareness of what your servers tastes are, and it requires more volume, but the profit margins are generally 1000% for me while still selling under market prices by 10-20%. I make a lot of profit, while still being able to influence market pricing downward (at least until I run out of inventory).

Edited by Andryah