Enough is Enough, Can We Have our SWG Back?

MaximumOwnage

To all those attacking the op read what the op is saying.

The op is not saying clone swg, what the op is saying is create a game with a true open world environment, that is built around player interaction aka sandbox. Then combine it with the awesome animations, graphics, and original awesome class stories. Result would be a mega successful star wars mmorpg. Most you numb **** could not read past the words swg.

Sandbox. MMOs. Bomb.

That's why the string of the would be sandbox saviors of the mmo genre of late got canned while still in development.

SWG sucked for all but a niche. A SWG remake in 2016 would be the same. So the answer to OP is "heck no".

Edited by aeterno

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandbox. MMOs. Bomb.

That's why the string of the would be sandbox saviors of the mmo genre of late got canned while still in development.

SWG sucked for all but a niche. A SWG remake in 2016 would be the same. So the answer to OP is "heck no".

A sandbox MMO would work in 2016 if it released with sufficient end game content, open world pvp, arenas, detailed and deep crafting system, exciting class structure, improved player housing and a solid pick up story, and if the game is set in the future or access to space in the lore a space pvp/pve sytem. Also if you added proper guild support, group support, pvp and casual support it would work.

However gaming companies now are no longer interested in making the best possible MMO they can, they are interested more in making the quickest profit at the start and a sustainable milking over the years before moving on to the next project. I.E Tera, Rift, ToR, Aion, Guild Wars etc...

Bioware's biggest failure is lack of communication with their fanbase. Take this event thing, they release details of the event only days before the actual release with no input on if the community/fanbase would approve of it or not, get ideas on what to change or what to add. They have an entire Suggestion forum for cartel boxes and other "suggestions" but they rarely respond or communicate those ideas back into the community.

Can't deny the servers are dead :(

I really enjoyed SWG's but there were plenty of problems with it, however JTL was awesome and I'd disagree with anyone that didn't put that up there as an amazing expansion. Even if you don't like space what it added to the game was pretty damn cool.

As a pre-cu player in SWG to a beta player of SWTOR, I'd like to chime in. SWG will always serve as a fond memory of a generation past. I still recall stories of running in the night from rancors on Dathomir to roaming Tattooine and discovering Jabba's palace. Hanging out in front of Theed Spaceport with my Av-21 when Darth Vader's shuttle would land was crazy. Decorating my house was awesome. Watching some guild entertainers put on a show in our cantina was unforgettable. But...those times are gone. No more walking to your destination. No more waiting for shuttles. No more customization. Everything is now now, give me give me, cookie cutter, follow the recipe, can't stop to chat, I'm too busy to help, mass homogenization of experiences. I get it and I except that. Can't explain to someone what it was like growing up on Atari and black/white tv when they grew up with tablets, twitter, and social media. Do I miss swg? Yes! Best game ever! Do I love Swtor? Yes! No other game on the market compares to it.

Dear Op, I hear ya loud and clear! So many of us do! Asking for our SWG back is like asking for our youth but it's gone. Let it go :)

Edited by TonyTricicolo

To all those attacking the op read what the op is saying.

The op is not saying clone swg, what the op is saying is create a game with a true open world environment, that is built around player interaction aka sandbox. Then combine it with the awesome animations, graphics, and original awesome class stories. Result would be a mega successful star wars mmorpg. Most you numb **** could not read past the words swg.

This ^^^^^^ game you speak of would be awesome!

I am happy with this game. I do not want SWG back (yes, I played that both in beta and official launch).

I like the chapters they release in this game with the story and I enjoy decorating.

Edited by Icestar

I am happy with this game. I do not want SWG back (yes, I played that both in beta and official launch).

I like the chapters they release in this game with the story and I enjoy decorating.

You enjoy decorating, yet you don't want SWG back? I never played SWG, but player housing is ALWAYS praised in that game when people talk about it.

I guess you missed where SWG wasn't doing even as good as SWTOR before the CU/NGE....and bleed subs. SWG was buggy and janky...and had a lot of problems long before CU/NGE....only part of it I miss is JtLS.

No you can't have your SWG back because it was pretty terrible and the playerbase showed that by leaving in droves. Cities were ghost towns and the worlds, while large, were mostly barren.

I swear you SWG fanatics need to seriously remove those rose colored glasses....There's a reason SWG got shutdown (beyond Sony losing the license.) Let it rest where it should.

SWG was definitely niche. However, there should no doubt that the CU/NGE is what caused the players to leave in droves, and those were "attempts" to revitalize the player base while completely ignoring the customer base.

You're right a lot of us wear those rose-tinted glasses when reminiscing of SWG - but ignoring the feedback of the active customer base was a lesson for all future MMOs and its starting to look like SWTOR missed that memo.

You enjoy decorating, yet you don't want SWG back? I never played SWG, but player housing is ALWAYS praised in that game when people talk about it.

What's ironic is SWG had a fuller and more complete decoration system than swtor. You could drop any item in your house and you could literally place it anywhere in the house you wanted to (floors, ceilings, walls, floating in the air, and more. As a player you had access to the full suite of movement controls (x, y, z, height, rotation, etc). It led to some truly amazing player made designs and artwork.

In fact, one player on my server made a giant almost life size AT-AT out of ship parts. People made insane museums and shops with rare items, themes, and unique styles. It's sad that swtor's system is but a mere shade of what SWG did years ago.

Edited by Holocron

If you are playing this game expecting it to be a sandbox then you are just dumb.... Just because it uses tab targeting doesn't mean it is a wow clone.

It is a theme park mmo. If you dont like theme parks, go find a SWG private server and play that.

My responses in red. You're welcome.

not going to bother. with them...SWG's history proves me right regardless of your biased opinion. Discussion is over, you lost the game. Again it's history proves you wrong. Even if you refuse to see it or admit to it.

I wish they would introduce player bounties. :D

Yeah because they would matter so much when people can just hide in the pve zones. Or do you also wish to grieve other players by requesting BioWare FORCE anyone on a bounty to be flagged pvp anywhere? Yeah that wouldn't get exploited...or is that what you're wishing for?

Non combat classes were a nice little twist. It added an entire socialization to the game that was unique and special. After all isn't that what MMOs are supposed to do?

Yeah because there was so much socializing with a toon running a non-stop script in a cantina....They had potential, I'll give you that, but those glasses are still coloring your vision....

Ok here we are after the largest MMO launch in history and more money spent on a single game and it didn't work. We all warned you to use the SWG core, but no you insisted on using the WoW core because you thought you were going to be rich copying WoW. But I think the verdict is in. You messed up. And messed up bigtime. The game is a wreck, servers are dead, and the player base is irate with what this has become.

I strongly suggest you start making an exit plan with this game and start creating a new Star Wars MMO that implements this epic storyline, AND follows the SWG game design. This time create it with the correct engine and DO NOT try to clone WoW.

This game should have been everything that SWG was, PLUS everything this game is. Basically it should have been SWG2 with this epic storyline. I guarantee that if they would have done this from the start of this game, it would have passed up WoW a long time ago and would be hands down the largest most successful MMO now and possibly in history.

So in closing, can you chalk this game up as a big mistake in the development end and begin a new game with a proper core? I mean what a mess this has become. You were warned by 100s of thousands of people NOT to copy WoW and to use SWGs core for the game design plus all that this game has. Now that the verdict is out and it has proven to be a failure why not take this opportunity to make this right. We will all continue to play SWTOR while you guys develop the new Star Wars MMO properly. But to try to continue to polish this turd is useless.

Do the right thing bioware. Get started on your new Star Wars game and do it right this time. We are giving you one last chance to make this right.

oh joy another one of these useless threads. get over it SWG failed, its dead, its not coming back. how about you chalk it up to this game is not for you and move on to something else instead of yammering about a dead game.

If we are going to create a Frankenstein MMO, could we add in some City of Heroes parts? That's the one I think is the stand out MMO that should never have died. Scaling instances! Difficulty settings! World bosses everyone can fight! Best character creation ever! I want to play as a Creature Handling Mastermind using my army of tiny pet Rancors!

Wrong, SWG shut down because they didn't or couldn't renew the license..

and no it wasn't a ground breaking MMO. If it was, it would have been more successful and the NGE and CU would have NEVER HAPPENED

again take off those glasses...and just because YOU loved it doesn't mean your opinion of it is right. Everything I stated is almost a fact, proven by SWG's history, lost subs, and final shutdown..Nice try but thanks for playing.

]

Absolute Bullsh.t, Verant aka SOE lost the License because they didnt wanted more changes to the Game Lucas asked for. SOE got it very fast that the NGE was a huge Fail from LA.

Thats why they lost the License, they just left the Game at Staus Quo instead of implementing more **** into it. And to SWG Times it was the best MMO besides Everquest 1/2, with a huge Roleplayer Base.

Edited by DEHawks

For all my old Galaxies friends, THE FORCE AWAKENS! yes it is back (I am not going to promote it here)!

However, I am posting to say asking for Bioware to bring SWG features to TOR is pointless. The platform for TOR will never let it be like SWG. Furthermore, if you follow the trends on gameplay, difficulty, length of challenges, etc... you will realize that TOR is providing a different type of game they just both happen to have light sabers in them. and speeders, and Tattooine, oh, and jawas, but the jawas are cuter in TOR. Anyway, TOR is not the Galaxies you were looking for and I am pretty sure it never can be, wish as we might- so play both....

Edited by msanthrope

]

Absolute Bullsh.t, Verant aka SOE lost the License because they didnt wanted more changes to the Game Lucas asked for. SOE got it very fast that the NGE was a huge Fail from LA.

Thats why they lost the License, they just left the Game at Staus Quo instead of implementing more **** into it. And to SWG Times it was the best MMO besides Everquest 1/2, with a huge Roleplayer Base.

Oh really? Generally, before throwing the BS flag.. best to check the internet first. ;)

John Smedley:

"It was time to turn it off. We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts," Smedley said. "And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. I think that's going to be really well-received by the population." You can't deny Smedley's business sense there.

"But it hurts," Smedley said. "We knew, with the checkered past [of Galaxies], that this would not be a popular decision, but it was just one that we had to make."

If the intellectual property of Galaxies was wholly owned by SOE, then the decision might have been moot because the game would likely continue to make money for a long time, even with TOR lurking. "That's the problem with licenses: they end," Smedley said. "We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest."

Interestingly enough, Smedley said that SOE had already renegotiated to extend the license a few times. "Back in 2001, not '03 when we launched, but back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long gosh darn time," Smedley said. "EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111549-SOE-Bids-Fond-Farewell-to-Star-Wars-Galaxies

Bottom line of what Smedley said ---> they are going to focus on original IP moving forward.

Clearly this was an SOE business policy change and it directly lead to nonrenewal of the license which expired in 2012. No license, no IP, no MMO... simple as that. If you want to use someone else's IP you have to license it. They preferred, moving forward, to use their own IP or IP they could buy outright, on the cheap. Like so many things in a for profit business.... economic viability plays a key role in the decision.

Edited by Andryah

If we are going to create a Frankenstein MMO, could we add in some City of Heroes parts? That's the one I think is the stand out MMO that should never have died. Scaling instances! Difficulty settings! World bosses everyone can fight! Best character creation ever! I want to play as a Creature Handling Mastermind using my army of tiny pet Rancors!

Agree with this. City of Heroes was killed off before it's true end of life in terms of player popularity. It was popular with players and had a pretty loyal and persistent following.

But NCsoft is a Korean company that simply refused to be dictated to by the US studio responsible for CoH. In that sort of power struggle.. the 800 lb gorilla always wins. Anyone that understands the way Korean corporate culture works would not have been surprised by this in any way. The one surprise to me however, was that NCsoft did not simply push CoH to a different studio and continue on. But I guess that too would have been an issue of face for them in some way or another.. so they simply moved on.

Edited by Andryah