Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

Once you have completed the objective by receiving the achievement, that character no longer needs to be active. So you could level to 50 on a character, and then delete it.

-eric

well, except for two. A lot of the challenges can't be done without being lvl 65 and the Eternal Level requires us to reach lvl 65 on a pub and an imp.

So, am I understanding this right? Level eight 'event characters' to level 50? Two to level 65? and at least one has to complete... everything all the way up to the Eternal Championship? AND be geared for 5 Specific World Bosses and 5 Specific Operations Bosses? (... and more?)

Edited by Sydth

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got a point, but the point is people don't want to keep being forced to start over to get stuff, people wants to do events with the people they have already made and worked so hard to get up to snuff, they don't want to start over to get this, they want to keep using their mains, and their current alts to do the event, forcing people to start over like this is like saying. "Hey we are out of ideas, what do we do?" I would have no problem deleting a toon and remaking it re-level it, though I would not do that because I already have 2 or 3 of all classes and cant be bothered to do it all again, this is just fueling the slowly dying faith I have in Swtor, I don't want my faith to die, I enjoy the heck out of this game, but this is just one of those things where the rewards does not take away the flaw that they are basically asking all to start over again, again, again.

I totally get not wanting to do the event. We do tend to get attached to our mains after all. Doing it all over again can be a headache if it's not you thing. However, is the event unreasonable? Not hardly. The outcries of unfairness are kind of silly.

As to be out of ideas, let's look at the last year. KotFE is a lot of content. The companions are a rehash, but you have the main story, two pvp maps, and EC. That's definitely the size of a solid expansion. It's more than we got with Makeb. There is a lot to do in the game. I don't think they are out of ideas personally, but I do think they are committed to the idea of using all the created content to full effect.

The big glaring issue is of course operations. No question they need to drop a new one or two. Ideally like what we got in SoR: 2 new ops not required for the main story. Galactic Starfighter needs some serious attention as well. I think honestly the way they spaced things out and the reusing of old content really does create the impression we aren't getting much new.

Eric, major issue! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read up on the event and came across this:

"Alliance Hero

To complete the objective “The Story Continues”, you must take a Dark vs. Light event character and gain enough experience to gain Character level 50 with all eight Classes. In order to reach level 50, you simply need to play almost any part of Star Wars: The Old Republic. This includes Missions, Warzones, Flashpoints, and more! To track your progress, simply look at your character’s current level, listed next to your portrait.

You must have one level 50 of each of the following eight Classes:

Jedi Knight

Jedi Consular

Smuggler

Trooper

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Imperial Agent

Bounty Hunter

Once all eight Classes among your Characters have reached level 50, you will receive the Achievement “Dark vs. Light: Alliance Hero” to note that you have completed this objective."

:confused: Making 2 characters is fine, but does this mean I have to level 8 new characters to get this?

:mad: Is this one of the things that MUST be done in order to complete the final reward tier?

:( What if I have already completed this and have 'Legendary' status?

:D Are the Force-Bound Dark vs. Light Packs are bind on pickup? Legacy (Which I think is the best option)? Can they be sold/traded?

This is just like what Disney did with episode 7, rehashed old content for new viewers of the Star Wars universe. I don't have time in my life to even contemplate doing this event, not with work and social. I've been playing since launch as a casual and even now I'm bored of lower level story content for some of the classes, like trooper.

You guys need to seriously rethink this whole idea. It's stupid, pointless and I cannot see anyone getting the top reward from it. Plus making people pay for additional character slots is wrong when you want them to play, good customer service guys.

:confused: Making 2 characters is fine, but does this mean I have to level 8 new characters to get this?

:mad: Is this one of the things that MUST be done in order to complete the final reward tier?

:D Are the Force-Bound Dark vs. Light Packs are bind on pickup? Legacy (Which I think is the best option)? Can they be sold/traded?

Yes eight new characters.

Yes.

Doesn't matter, only new level 1 characters made on or after the 28th June 2016 count.

Crates are bind on pick up. Cannot be sold.

Answers from the links below:

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

http://www.swtor.com/blog/dark-vs.-light-event-and-rewards-blog

Wow so much outrage over this new event and I guess rightfully so ...

I see some people are playing the "well no one is forcing you to do it card" - ignore those posters it's a weak argument.

Is anyone actually pleased for this new event and why? 71 pages bit much to go over to be honest.

I personally don't mind the repeating part of content for an event but it's the not being able to do ANY of it on existing characters OR transfer rewards to characters without spending CC that is the real kick in the stomach that many players are aggrieved about here and as I said ... rightfully so.

I totally get not wanting to do the event. We do tend to get attached to our mains after all. Doing it all over again can be a headache if it's not you thing. However, is the event unreasonable? Not hardly. The outcries of unfairness are kind of silly.

The rewards are pretty sweet so aiming the event entirely at new players is unfair, it is ludicrous to not take our existing characters into account for this event. The solution the person above posted is a far better compromise. This event just shows how far out of touch BW is from their players and Ben Irving's statements in that open letter ring absolutely hollow now.

Eric, major issue! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I read up on the event and came across this:

"Alliance Hero

To complete the objective “The Story Continues”, you must take a Dark vs. Light event character and gain enough experience to gain Character level 50 with all eight Classes. In order to reach level 50, you simply need to play almost any part of Star Wars: The Old Republic. This includes Missions, Warzones, Flashpoints, and more! To track your progress, simply look at your character’s current level, listed next to your portrait.

You must have one level 50 of each of the following eight Classes:

Jedi Knight

Jedi Consular

Smuggler

Trooper

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Imperial Agent

Bounty Hunter

Once all eight Classes among your Characters have reached level 50, you will receive the Achievement “Dark vs. Light: Alliance Hero” to note that you have completed this objective."

I hope legendary players can have a bypass on this if they just make us level at least 1 or 2 characters up.

If not you only need 2 character slots to level 8 to 50, because u can delete one, make another, delete it etc. i sum it up in my guide.

From the packs from what i understand they cannot be sold, the items in them are bound to you maybe legacy or they are bound to legacy from the crates only. The contents will go in your collections if you complete an armor set like Revan Reborns armor set, all armor comes in 3 boxes, upper, lower, supp, so if u get all 3 it unlocks for you. And the tunings in them will be in your collection (probably as a special item/event item but who knows they may finally make tunings available for collections so we dont have to buy so many for our dual wielders).

Overall you get 75 of those packs if you finish everything, so that right there is pretty good, and you get them on achievement completion on a L/D character. So im feeling pretty good on the event. People just keep over complicating it for themselves.

I know it, but I dont ask this. I mean can I get packs again on another character, if I completes the final objective at the other character and got achievements. How do I know that I completed the final objective again?

Eric's answer suggests that the levels and crate rewards are tracked per legacy but the companion and mount rewards are account wide.

Good question! The rewards are delivered in three different methods, depending on the reward:

• Titles - These are tied to the Achievement and therefore are unlocked for each character in the Legacy.
  • Dark vs. Light Packs and Pioneer Armor Set - These will be delivered via in-game mail to the character who completes the final objective in that event level.
  • End of event Cosmetic Rewards - Things like the Companion and the vehicles will come at the end of the event and will be delivered to every character on the account, similar to the monthly sub rewards.

-eric

I suspect that that means if you start up a new legacy on a new server you could earn the achievements again and track them on the new Legacy achievement tracker, but would only get the one companion/mount reward, again I would imagine based off the legacy with the highest level.

Eric's answer suggests that the levels and crate rewards are tracked per legacy but the companion and mount rewards are account wide.

I suspect that that means if you start up a new legacy on a new server you could earn the achievements again and track them on the new Legacy achievement tracker, but would only get the one companion/mount reward, again I would imagine based off the legacy with the highest level.

They dont use the existing achievements, they made new achievements, which can be the exact same as the old achievements, just a different name. So there will be the ligh V achievement and then there will be a Light vs. Dark: Light 5 Achievement.

You don't need to start a new legacy why can't people get this across their thick skulls!!!!

They are NEW ACHIEVEMENTS not existing ones, but some are the exact same as existing ones, you just need to do them on a new character.

I hope legendary players can have a bypass on this if they just make us level at least 1 or 2 characters up.

If not you only need 2 character slots to level 8 to 50, because u can delete one, make another, delete it etc. i sum it up in my guide.

From the packs from what i understand they cannot be sold, the items in them are bound to you maybe legacy or they are bound to legacy from the crates only. The contents will go in your collections if you complete an armor set like Revan Reborns armor set, all armor comes in 3 boxes, upper, lower, supp, so if u get all 3 it unlocks for you. And the tunings in them will be in your collection (probably as a special item/event item but who knows they may finally make tunings available for collections so we dont have to buy so many for our dual wielders).

Overall you get 75 of those packs if you finish everything, so that right there is pretty good, and you get them on achievement completion on a L/D character. So im feeling pretty good on the event. People just keep over complicating it for themselves.

I think a lot of players are hoping for a bypass doesn't mean it will happen.

I can't see the need for Imp and Rep characters to exist at the same time so you only need one character slot.

Crates are bind on pickup and the dev blog mentions they can't be sold (I don't remember orange cartel shells having any value with a vendor anyway). Random nature of crate rewards means you'll end up with a lot of wastage.

Total is 85 crates by the time you unlock Legendary.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Well, BioWare, you have once again come up with a way to completely betray your loyal fan base. I understand that you want to kind of force people to experience the story, and I see a lot of that with this event. No problem. I got bored with some of the content, but I guess now I have motivation to do it all again.

I will echo the sentiment about having to level 8 new characters. Come on. I already have 33 chars on Harbinger, and I should get credit for already being a legendary player. There are a couple of storylines (Jedi knight and Sith Inquisitor) that I am absolutely sick to DEATH of. But, I expect this feedback to be ignored, just as your loyal subscriber base is routinely ignored, so I'll leave it at that. I just hope that you have time to change your minds on this before the event itself.

So, that said... am I going to freak out and cancel my sub? No. Will I delete and re-level a few chars to get to the higher tier? Probably. Do I still feel like veteran players are being completely hosed? Most definitely. I just hope the rewards are worth it.

They dont use the existing achievements, they made new achievements, which can be the exact same as the old achievements, just a different name. So there will be the ligh V achievement and then there will be a Light vs. Dark: Light 5 Achievement.

You don't need to start a new legacy why can't people get this across their thick skulls!!!!

They are NEW ACHIEVEMENTS not existing ones, but some are the exact same as existing ones, you just need to do them on a new character.

Would you care to take a pop at answering the original post then?

I know it, but I dont ask this. I mean can I get packs again on another character, if I completes the final objective at the other character and got achievements. How do I know that I completed the final objective again?

I'm going to take a stab and guess that English isn't Baafomet's native tongue (that's not an attack, I wouldn't post on a foreign language at all so more power to them). My best understanding was how would they know if they had achieved the unlock if they wanted to unlock the crates on another legacy thus getting more than the 85 crate max on a single legacy.

Well, I was excited about a new event. Then looked into it. There's no way I can complete this. Even in just one year of playing this game, I haven't completed half of the objectives needed for this. And I play every day, several hours a day. I've never participated in the Gree event, barely started participating in the Rakghoul event when Fallen Pants was released. But those facts aren't my biggest issue with this event.

As with many others, I find that the fact that the achievements are NOT retroactive is not just ridiculous, it's outrageous. As many others have also, I've worked hard over the last year or so to earn the achievements I have earned. I've worked hard to play through classes I found after 10 levels that I abhor just to get them through Chapter 3 so that I can get back to the classes I enjoy playing, and now you want me to do it all over again?

No, I don't think I'll be participating, unless you retract your stance on this not being retroactive to include all we've done leading up to this. Yeah, you could also make us create one toon to play through the end of Fallen Pants. That's not difficult to do and many of us could do it on our favorite class, or rerun our favorite story again, and be done with it. But to make us create 8 new characters, even if we don't have to do their stories, is just too much. To make us have to do everything we've done over and over again, is just too much.

Let our current characters and achievements count. Otherwise I don't see many being even the least bit interested in your event.

So, that said... am I going to freak out and cancel my sub? No. Will I delete and re-level a few chars to get to the higher tier? Probably. Do I still feel like veteran players are being completely hosed? Most definitely. I just hope the rewards are worth it.

I imagine that's the response they are hoping for. I think a lot of the vehemence is more players thinking they'd get some OP before season 2 :o

You can see most of the rewards and judge for yourself. The only thing I haven't seen is a picture of the Legendary armour reward.

As to the companion, you better hope the one you want is the one the community want ;)

Edited by Vhaegrant

If we simply *must* grind whole new toons... at least up the legacy level cap above 50! Give us done-it-a-million-times-vets some new legacy perks and levels to earn.

I would recommend the ability to give more than one gift at a time to companions. That alone would be worth grinding eight whole new toons.

Would you care to take a pop at answering the original post then?

Sorry i must have clicked the wrong quote button, ya it seems to that post i accidentally quoted you that it would seem you can do the stuff on another server and get 75 more packs they way it is worded and where the achievements are legacy wide.

Eric, This event is a HUGE slap in the face to players that have stuck by this game for almost 5 years now, and have already leveled all the characters they want. I for one already have 16 level 65 characters, and have no reason to level any more.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing to make these rewards retroactive, just for you guys to think of an alternate path for players who wish to grind them out doing end-game content with existing characters, rather than making more pointless alts strictly for the purposes of this event.

Thanks for reading our concerns and relaying them to the dev team.

Edited by ViciousFett

Let's look at the rewards why don't we.

First the disclaimer they have: A few extra details on the packs -the armor sets come in three separate boxes, Upper Body, Lower Body, and Supplementary. Each item that you earn from a Force-Bound Dark vs. Light Pack is Bind on Pickup, so they cannot be sold. However, these items do unlock in collections similar to other pack items.

Tulak Hord’s Armor Set (Has been out forever- most will probably already have it)

Satele Shan’s Armor Set (See above)

Revan Reborn’s Armor Set (See above)

Black/Black and White/White Dye (one time use and only able to use on the one character you get it on)

MSM J-37 Jetpack (Again been out forever)

Volatile Conqueror’s Lightsaber (Maybe a good item)

Cathar Honor Sword (This was out a very long time and a lot of people have it)

Unstable Arbiter’s Lightsaber (Okay a good item)

Two new Weapon Tunings, Dark-attuned and Light-attuned (Good Item)

And more!

So looking at the list there is about 3 items that may be worth it but the rest most have or in the case of the dyes a one time use.

So Good rewards?

Not really.

Eric, This event is a HUGE slap in the face to players that have stuck by this game for almost 5 years now, and have already leveled all the characters they want. I for one already have 16 level 65 characters, and have no reason to level any more.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing to make these rewards retroactive, just for you guys to think of an alternate patch for players who wish to grind them out doing end-game content with existing characters rather than making more pointless alts strictly for the purposes of this event.

Thanks for reading our concerns and relaying them to the dev team.

I have 18 lv 65's, i say have because i had 20, delete 2 because im doing everything for this event mirroring the 2 deleted alts (which i didn't use often anyhow). and you only need 2 open slots to do everything this event requires for everything.

I think people understand this just fine. The fact of the matter is, though, that some people DO NOT HAVE THE SPACE FOR NEW CHARACTERS. Get that through your thick skull.

Sorry i must have clicked the wrong quote button, ya it seems to that post i accidentally quoted you that it would seem you can do the stuff on another server and get 75 more packs they way it is worded and where the achievements are legacy wide.

Yeah it's a fast moving thread tonight ;)

I make it 85 crates for getting Legendary unlocked.

Why can't you see that people ALREADY HAVE THOSE ACHIEVEMENTS.

Creating a new set achievements for what a lot of players have already achieved (8 classes, flashpoints, world bosses, operations, crafting, etc.) is what is pissing people off. They have to repeat the **** they already did from maybe years ago.

Why can't you get that through your thick skull? And your sig spelled Ebon wrong...

I'm understood, thanks :)