Why did you change Torian from melee to ranged?

Sadriel_Fett

I really enjoyed this latest (chapt. 14) and the prior chapter (given, I am a little biased since it's about Mandalorians). The addition of some of Jesse Harlin's musical score from the Republic Commando games made it all the more enjoyable. It was very well done, if you're of fan of Mandalorian lore. Even the Mando themed decorations in the new packs were pretty good, however, those Chance Cubes...whoever came up with those drop rates needs to be dragged into the street and kicked square in the nuts...repeatedly.

My only real beef with the entire chapter stems from me leveling up Torian's influence, so I could have a level 50 melee comp for use in the Eternal Championship (boss 6 is a lot easier with a melee comp), only to have them switch him to a ranged companion after you complete Chapter 14. Seriously? What in the absolute sh*t, Bioware?

Yep it was a pretty dumb move by them for switching him. So in the original chapters 2 and 3 he uses a Techstaff but in KotFE they switch him to a sniper rifle. My guess is that the techstaff eventually is going to be phased out entirely. Players can't use it and only 3 companions could use it. Scorpio, Torian, and Akaavi. So Akaavi when we finally get her will likely be switched up as well.

Agreed. Seems BW thinks that the only melee companions have to be jedy/sith. I'm not really sure if it will work but you can try to remove his weapon. When i got back 2V-RB(or whatever he was called) i forgot to put on his weapon(was in the mailbox) so he was fist fighting. Not sure if it affects the dmg though.

Yuun still uses a techstaff, I believe.

I'd be more interested to see what weapon Vector will use if/when he comes back - since Electrostaves are basically only used by him (unless Shadows/Assassins can use their Charge while using one now?), and he can use vibroblades as well.

Really? Ugh, this is so disappointing, but thanks for the warning OP. I can deal with them changing weapon types, but not if it means changing how the companion, well, plays. I prefer a melee companion on my merc, and mostly use Torian, so this has solidified my decision to not take her through all of KotFE. Besides, Torian and Mako are her "main" companions that I have raised influence on the most, and I don't want them both to be ranged. :mad:

I'm sure some people who like ranged companions are happy, at least. Heck, I'd be happy if they changed Mako to melee, but I bet a lot of other people that like her as-is wouldn't be, so I wouldn't applaud a change like that, y'know?

I'd be more interested to see what weapon Vector will use if/when he comes back - since Electrostaves are basically only used by him (unless Shadows/Assassins can use their Charge while using one now?), and he can use vibroblades as well.

You were close. He uses a techblade :)

When you get Torian on Taris he use Sniper in all the cut scene but switch to melee when you use him. I figure this was going to happen. I am disappoint that Vette didn't switch to assault cannon.

I would love to see her have the option. The hard work is already done (rigging the model).

I would love to see her have the option. The hard work is already done (rigging the model).

At least with Vette show her changing from DW blaster to cannon. Her comments during that fight after she finds are funny.

Torian and Scorpion just magically learn how to use a new weapon and completely forget how to use the old one.

I would love for the Dev to comment on this but I know they won't.

Edited by Warrgames

At least with Vette show her changing from DW blaster to cannon. Her comments during that fight after she finds are funny.

Torian and Scorpion just magically learn how to use a new weapon and completely forget how to use the old one.

I would love for the Dev to comment on this but I know they won't.

It wouldn't surprise me that they're reducing the number of people who use weapons that PCs cannot. I'm faintly surprised that both SCORPIO and Torian went to Sniper, along with Aric. They've added 2 new Cannon wielders (one of whom is a CM companion), for a net gain of 1. Whereas they added at least 4 sniper rifles. And overall it isn't like there's a shortage of ranged comps; I wonder why they just didn't change Torian and/or SCORPIO to vibro weapons; unless the dual vibro can't be distinguished from the dualsaber?

It wouldn't surprise me that they're reducing the number of people who use weapons that PCs cannot. I'm faintly surprised that both SCORPIO and Torian went to Sniper, along with Aric. They've added 2 new Cannon wielders (one of whom is a CM companion), for a net gain of 1. Whereas they added at least 4 sniper rifles. And overall it isn't like there's a shortage of ranged comps; I wonder why they just didn't change Torian and/or SCORPIO to vibro weapons; unless the dual vibro can't be distinguished from the dualsaber?

I get Aric as using a sniper rifle. He was part of Dead Eye a bunch of snipers. Which I always found weird how a highly trained sniper would use an assault cannon to being with. Scorpio is blaster rifle. Yunn still use a techblade.

Edited by Warrgames

I get Aric as sniper rifle. He was part of Dead Eye a bunch of snipers. Which I always found weird how a highly sniper would use an assault cannon to being with. Scorpio is blaster rifle. Yunn still use a techblade.

Yeah, I remember when I first got Aric and thought, sweet, I have this sniper rifle I can give...what the? Why can't he use this? I was rather disappointed.

I get Aric as sniper rifle. He was part of Dead Eye a bunch of snipers. Which I always found weird how a highly sniper would use an assault cannon to being with. Scorpio is blaster rifle. Yunn still use a techblade.

I get the reason they switched Aric. I just wonder why they didn't give us another Alliance comp with a cannon in his stead.

I'll have to check Yuun, but I know Vector can (now?) use vibro weapons - I got him a Classic dual vibrosword because I found his "default" weapon to be ugly as sin.

I get the reason they switched Aric. I just wonder why they didn't give us another Alliance comp with a cannon in his stead.

I'll have to check Yuun, but I know Vector can (now?) use vibro weapons - I got him a Classic dual vibrosword because I found his "default" weapon to be ugly as sin.

I just checked Yuun, can use Vibro sword and his techblade. Vector could always use electrostaff or what I think you are talking about dual vibrosword. Only companion with the base stat of Aim and melee used tech weapons. Vector base stat was willpower so he could use electrostaff but not lightsabers. I love Vector electrostaff, it fits his bug side.

Edited by Warrgames

You mean the "stance" of the characters? As "shadow technique" in the case of my infiltration shadow and "dark charge" in case of my Darkness Assassin.

Starting with 4.0 I noticed that each and every skill description that previously "requires a double-bladed lightsaber" now says "requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff", including the Technique/Charge toggle used.

I've actually checked it, using a cheap electrostaff from the market. However there is a reason why I won't be using electrostaffs: The doc has forbidden it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80858568/swtor/The%20Electrostaff%20Problem.png

(I wonder whether anyone can guess which of the two is a darkness assassin and which is an infiltration shadow. :) )

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I think it's a consequence of him being a character in the KOTFE story. They did the same with SCORPIO–and yet the companions in the Alliance Recruitment missions keep their old weapons. This is just my opinion, but I think that BW probably decided that the story characters should more closely resemble traditional SW characters, and in most SW movies the only melee weapons are lightsabers; everyone else tends to use blasters (there are a few exceptions, but not many). Plus, they've been animating combat in cutscenes a lot lately, and it's probably easier to do blasters than to have to convincingly animate someone with a staff or sword fighting blaster-wielding droids (and not deflecting blaster fire). More evidence of this is that Tanno Vik, a melee companion, was also using a blaster when you met him on Asylum.

That is ridiculously logical and a connection I had totally missed. I'd noticed that the fight early on between Senya and Vaylen didn't look the best in spots... for supposed masters they looked clumsy and forced. They probably realised trying to create a fluid melee battle in too many scenes would seriously slow things down in the art department. Avoiding the problem can be better than trying to solve it sometimes. A lot of my characters are healers and I prefer to use a melee companion and my choices seem to be narrowing. Edited by Rantank

That is ridiculously logical and a connection I had totally missed. I'd noticed that the fight early on between Senya and Vaylen didn't look the best in spots... for supposed masters they looked clumsy and forced. They probably realised trying to create a fluid melee battle in too many scenes would seriously slow things down in the art department. Avoiding the problem can be better than trying to solve it sometimes. A lot of my characters are healers and I prefer to use a melee companion and my choices seem to be narrowing.

I personally found Senya vs. Vaylin to be not too bad, for their first attempt at animating a full lightsaber duel that the player isn't involved in. Not the best, but not terrible, either. But yeah, trying to make Torian and Scorpio fight like that too might've been a strain.

Yeah, I remember when I first got Aric and thought, sweet, I have this sniper rifle I can give...what the? Why can't he use this? I was rather disappointed.

Well ever since took that arrow to the eye, his aim hasn't been what it used to be. Nowadays he mostly just sprays and prays with that assault cannon.

Edited by Knorlac