Why did you change Torian from melee to ranged?

Sadriel_Fett

I think it's a consequence of him being a character in the KOTFE story. They did the same with SCORPIO–and yet the companions in the Alliance Recruitment missions keep their old weapons. This is just my opinion, but I think that BW probably decided that the story characters should more closely resemble traditional SW characters, and in most SW movies the only melee weapons are lightsabers; everyone else tends to use blasters (there are a few exceptions, but not many). Plus, they've been animating combat in cutscenes a lot lately, and it's probably easier to do blasters than to have to convincingly animate someone with a staff or sword fighting blaster-wielding droids (and not deflecting blaster fire). More evidence of this is that Tanno Vik, a melee companion, was also using a blaster when you met him on Asylum.

I had originally thought they did it to tie back to his sniper-rifle loving father, but this makes so much more sense.

Edited by Mykra

You mean the "stance" of the characters? As "shadow technique" in the case of my infiltration shadow and "dark charge" in case of my Darkness Assassin.

Starting with 4.0 I noticed that each and every skill description that previously "requires a double-bladed lightsaber" now says "requires a double-bladed lightsaber or electrostaff", including the Technique/Charge toggle used.

I've actually checked it, using a cheap electrostaff from the market. However there is a reason why I won't be using electrostaffs: The doc has forbidden it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80858568/swtor/The%20Electrostaff%20Problem.png

(I wonder whether anyone can guess which of the two is a darkness assassin and which is an infiltration shadow. :) )

Just a quick note from my own testing. Electrostaff has a smaller variance of damage, whereas the staff saber has a large margin. Basically, the Electrostaff can consistently deliver similar strikes, but has a lower max, higher min. Lightsaber, has a lower min, but a higher max. (Tested both with shells, and same mods)

When you get Torian on Taris he use Sniper in all the cut scene but switch to melee when you use him. I figure this was going to happen. I am disappoint that Vette didn't switch to assault cannon.

I was heartbroken when they didn't let her keep Spewy.

I really enjoyed this latest (chapt. 14) and the prior chapter (given, I am a little biased since it's about Mandalorians). The addition of some of Jesse Harlin's musical score from the Republic Commando games made it all the more enjoyable. It was very well done, if you're of fan of Mandalorian lore. Even the Mando themed decorations in the new packs were pretty good, however, those Chance Cubes...whoever came up with those drop rates needs to be dragged into the street and kicked square in the nuts...repeatedly.

My only real beef with the entire chapter stems from me leveling up Torian's influence, so I could have a level 50 melee comp for use in the Eternal Championship (boss 6 is a lot easier with a melee comp), only to have them switch him to a ranged companion after you complete Chapter 14. Seriously? What in the absolute sh*t, Bioware?

Allow me to start by saying that I dislike the change. Torian being melee plus me being ranged was always very effective for me; and I main a merc.

That said, having leveled 9 Bounty Hunters it always bothered me that when we were introduced to Torian he had a sniper rifle and then magically that became a techstaff.

I would like us getting the option that we can press a button, what makes our Torian switch weapon and powers, and for some other companions too. I really love to have Torian back as melee, but if they make a button for changing weapons+powers then everyone is happy. :) Edited by -JE-BLAZAR-

When you meet Torian on Taris, he talks about using his rifle, so when he popped up next to me carrying a staff I was like, huh? I assume the only reason he was a DPS melee companion in the first place was due to the thing BW had going where every class had one companion of each type (ranged tank, melee tank, healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS.) I'm not surprised to see him changed now, but I can understand not wanting this change if you have been used to him having a different fighting style all along. It disrupts the game play style you got used to.

I have to say though, if they try and mess with Vector's killik staff I am going to be very unhappy. There is no story reason why he should abandon it and suddenly take up something else. It's an integral part of his story and identity, and the staff is a unique design to boot that is hard to find anywhere else. If they change Vector, I'm going to have to leave my agent that romanced him out of KOTFE.

When you meet Torian on Taris, he talks about using his rifle, so when he popped up next to me carrying a staff I was like, huh? I assume the only reason he was a DPS melee companion in the first place was due to the thing BW had going where every class had one companion of each type (ranged tank, melee tank, healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS.) I'm not surprised to see him changed now, but I can understand not wanting this change if you have been used to him having a different fighting style all along. It disrupts the game play style you got used to.

I have to say though, if they try and mess with Vector's killik staff I am going to be very unhappy. There is no story reason why he should abandon it and suddenly take up something else. It's an integral part of his story and identity, and the staff is a unique design to boot that is hard to find anywhere else. If they change Vector, I'm going to have to leave my agent that romanced him out of KOTFE.

Ditto on that about Vector.

On Makeb Torian says "Whew, should have brought my rifle." which makes me wish he could have been an ranged or melee DPS from the beginning. Maybe comp specs will be shifted to include range/melee DPS options instead of just the trinity?

But I kinda thought him being melee was an attempt to be less like his father, despite being very good at sniping by reputation (not Aric good, but good.)

I'm beginning to wonder if "hard" roles for companions was a late addition to the game. Someone once said the "choice of three" outfits on the capital for your starting comp was a holdover from a design decision where that set roles. That would explain why Torian is oddly melee in OG.

Makes me glad I purchased a Cathar Warstaff for one of my Torians a while back ... (where is the sarcasm tag when you need it?)

I feel your pain. I purchased that weapon specifically for him too, and now I can't use it at all. Then I was thinking, maybe I could put it in my Legacy vault and give it to my agent for when Vector comes back.

Nope. It's bound. (they could at least make those account bound)

It does irk me that Gault has a sniper rifle, Torian has a sniper rifle, Blizz has blasters... we've got no melee now.

Why did they think that was a good idea?

I feel your pain. I purchased that weapon specifically for him too, and now I can't use it at all. Then I was thinking, maybe I could put it in my Legacy vault and give it to my agent for when Vector comes back.

It does irk me that Gault has a sniper rifle, Torian has a sniper rifle, Blizz has blasters... we've got no melee now.

Skadge is melee. *ducks under the things thrown at her because nobody likes the guy* I didn't say I liked him!

Anyway, I too got the Cathar blade for Torian, so now I'm a little sad.

Skadge is melee. *ducks under the things thrown at her because nobody likes the guy* I didn't say I liked him!

Anyway, I too got the Cathar blade for Torian, so now I'm a little sad.

LOL - I never take that (in Gault's words) walking tumor anywhere.

LOL - I never take that (in Gault's words) walking tumor anywhere.

Neither do I. The way he joined my crew was... unsavory. IF he had told me which Hutt he hated so much, I might be less peeved about him being on my crew, kind of like how Vik does seem to take some direction on how to run his criminal activities from my character.

I'm quite certain there were Mandos on that prison planet that I would have loved to have on my BH crew who could fill in as the DS Melee Tank comp back in the original game... *grumbles off, swinging a useless techstaff around*

It's collectible, at least - you can get it to your agent that way

i wish companions could use any weapon type

if using torian should be able to give him melee weapon like before.. or a blaster how he has now

if using lord scourge should be able to give him one , two, or a double bladed saber

if players cant have any weapon why not try to give to comps? :D

also companion stance should be keybindable i hate clicking stuff i switch my comps between dps/heals all the time as im pulling mobs and it gets really annoying putting mouse over and clicking each time X_X

<33333