Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Alignment doesn't make sense, BioLucas

wikimon

why give us options if the only way to get rewarded in the game for your choices is to pick ALL THE GOOD ONES, or ALL THE BAD ONES?

why make it so you shoot yourself in the knee by answering the questions as you think your character would?

alignment rewards should not be lightpoints - darkpoints = reward level. this makes no sense. if i've painstakingly accrued 1000 lightpoints and 1000 darkpoints i should be able to choose lightrank I and darkrank I rewards.

the system makes no sense at all as it stands. you're only rewarded for making the correct side choice every time, and you don't even make it a challenge by allowing UI to turn on gain displayed in the conversation choices.

tldr: go light 100% or dark 100% because being different means you get nothing

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with this. It's like playing infamous on the PS3. Either you go all good or all bad. You don't get much if you stay neutral. Game's awesome but the moral system is so binary.

This game needs to provide some rewards for people who stay neutral.

i mean, i can see why the alignment gain displayed is necessary because you made it so what you select (as text) is NEVER what the character actually says (15% of the time the character will actually say something that is the complete opposite of what you intended, like you COULD get that implied meaning from the text blurb, but it would be absurd to make that assumption)

i don't see why you decided to make it so cryptic and simply didn't go with:

harsh refusal

polite refusal

aggressive response (attack)

the guessing game sucks. should have made it so it's an exact word for word transcript of what will be said, or show the player the actual intent of the responses.

but yeah, alignment gain display MUST be displayed in this game because you designed it poorly.

just another tangent rant

i mean, i can see why the alignment gain displayed is necessary because you made it so what you select (as text) is NEVER what the character actually says (15% of the time the character will actually say something that is the complete opposite of what you intended, like you COULD get that implied meaning from the text blurb, but it would be absurd to make that assumption)

i don't see why you decided to make it so cryptic and simply didn't go with:

harsh refusal

polite refusal

aggressive response (attack)

the guessing game sucks. should have made it so it's an exact word for word transcript of what will be said, or show the player the actual intent of the responses.

but yeah, alignment gain display MUST be displayed in this game because you designed it poorly.

just another tangent rant

Showing you line for line what you say, went out of style after KOTOR. They felt it wasn't as fun getting to see what you said, and instead give you a general idea.

Also as it's BioWare's dialogue wheel, the 1 option is usually "light", 2 is neutral, and 3 is "dark".

Why would you get rewards for not choosing a side? Who gives you the reward, the not-Republic or the not-Empire? By

if i got 1000 lightpoints and 1000 darkpoints and you have 1000 darkpoints only, did i not do exactly as much work for the darkside as you?

why aren't i rewarded then?

if i got 1000 lightpoints and 1000 darkpoints and you have 1000 darkpoints only, did i not do exactly as much work for the darkside as you?

Because you are at zero and I'm at 1000. The logic is pretty simple, methinks.

be cause you counter all that good darkside with that goody goody light work you did

Because you are at zero and I'm at 1000. The logic is pretty simple, methinks.

okay how about this, you get paid 5 bucks an hour for shoveling a hole. you can also get paid 5 bucks an hour for mixing this cement.

you shoveled a hole for an hour. i shoveled a hold for an hour AND ALSO mixed cement for an hour.

you got paid, i didn't

where is the fairness?

be cause you counter all that good darkside with that goody goody light work you did

i'm not speaking from a moralistic standpoint, i'm speaking from a game design standpoint.

there's no benefit to playing your character as a neutral, so why have that option? it's not like it takes skill to go all light or all dark. there's no skill involved.

it's like saying, you can have pie, you can have cake, or you can have neither. WHY HAVE THE OPTION FOR NEITHER!?

no one in their right mind will take that option :| even if you didn't like pie or cake, you'd pick one or the other cause at least you're getting something

Am i the only Smuggler that finds that this isnt an issue for me?

Personally, i dont care for what colour my lasers are...

Im a "Give me the most money" smuggler and i seem to be drifting from -350 Alignment to 300 Alignment which is paying off for most money out of quests...

When there are finally items for neutral characters patched into the game, threads in this forum will all be like: "I'm light side I 3/4, why is there no special vendor for me, as I am so extremely not-all-the-way-good?!"

why would neutral need a special vendor? if i have 1000 lightside points and 1000 darkside points i should be able to buy rank 1 from either vendor :|

why would neutral need a special vendor? if i have 1000 lightside points and 1000 darkside points i should be able to buy rank 1 from either vendor :|
Lightside and Darkside points aren't currency, they are where you are in a moral compass in a simplistic form. You do 1000 bad things you are bad. You do 1000 good things it cancels out all the bad things you did, but you aren't good yet. You have to do another 1000 good things to become good.

IMO the "neutral" gear should be such that you have to have 1000 Dark AND 1000 light points, or something to that effect. That way the gear can still have ranks like light-and-dark gear but you don't have to spend all your time trying to maintain a perfect balance.

Lightside and Darkside points aren't currency, they are where you are in a moral compass in a simplistic form. You do 1000 bad things you are bad. You do 1000 good things it cancels out all the bad things you did, but you aren't good yet. You have to do another 1000 good things to become good.

as i have said before, this isn't weighed as a moral compass, this is a game. in real life, the good or bad choices you make are rewarded instantly by the outcome of any encounter you might have. this is not the case in the game. which is why the system does not make sense

why give us options if the only way to get rewarded in the game for your choices is to pick ALL THE GOOD ONES, or ALL THE BAD ONES?

I was going to make a thread about this exact same thing, and call it, "The Illusion of Choice". By level 20 or so, I see gear that has alignment level 2 requirements, and my guy that was taking RP choices in the game is somewhat screwed. But I recognized it earlier enough to realize to stop making RP choices that the char would make, and simply pick the rewarding dialog choice for alignment, which completely defeats the purpose and point of dialog in SWTOR.

I was going to make a thread about this exact same thing, and call it, "The Illusion of Choice". By level 20 or so, I see gear that has alignment level 2 requirements, and my guy that was taking RP choices in the game is somewhat screwed. But I recognized it earlier enough to realize to stop making RP choices that the char would make, and simply pick the rewarding dialog choice for alignment, which completely defeats the purpose and point of dialog in SWTOR.

Yep. You end up getting punished for playing the game the way it was intended. I've made numerous choices I wouldn't otherwise make just to get the points. Very poor system.

Neutral rewards are in the works, they simply couldn't get them in time for launch. Patience.

another "it will eventually be added"

i got one for you

"it will eventually close down when everyone leaves as they sick of waiting for eventually to arrive!"

The lack of content available for people going a more Neutral alignment path, has been one of the highly discussed and big things that drag the game down in gamesite scores.

I have faith that BW is already working on this for a future content patch or expansion.

as i have said before, this isn't weighed as a moral compass, this is a game. in real life, the good or bad choices you make are rewarded instantly by the outcome of any encounter you might have. this is not the case in the game. which is why the system does not make sense
How exactly do you register someone in real life going down the path of the darkside and following the dark path vs someone who is the light side? Police vs Criminals because it isn't black and white like that. We aren't just talking about the moral point, but the journey you've gone or going through.

When you do something bad, you aren't just a bad guy because you did it. It doesn't just automatically erase it when you do something good. It takes a little bit more good choices to erase or prove that you are good again.

You do realize you can make any RP choices you want storyline wise. Anything can be erased just by running a couple Flashpoints. Play like you want, do a flashpoint and you are back where you need to be. I've fairly easily gone from Dark 2 to Light 2 doing this.