SWTOR in 4k is B.E.A.UTIFUL

JidaiDerriphan

I began playing SWTOR at launch with an AMD 6770 and an HD monitor, the game looked AMAZING at launch and I was very impressed, no complaints whatsoever. Recently I graduated college and was able to pick up a 4k monitor and a GTX 970, and man this game looks incredible at max settings in 4k. Were there people playing it at this resolution/detail at launch or was there an update I missed?

I began playing SWTOR at launch with an AMD 6770 and an HD monitor, the game looked AMAZING at launch and I was very impressed, no complaints whatsoever. Recently I graduated college and was able to pick up a 4k monitor and a GTX 970, and man this game looks incredible at max settings in 4k. Were there people playing it at this resolution/detail at launch or was there an update I missed?

That is definitely a wonderful experience. For a while I had 3 27" monitors in surround video on an NVidia GTX 680 but the frame rate wasn't great. I've only got one monitor used for the game now with 55-62 FPS. I only wish now that there was a hi-res optional DLC like there was for Skyrim to refactor textures at higher resolutions, and higher-geometry trees and such.

Again, glad to know it's looking great for you.

yeah go in to a 16man raid and the frame rates will be beautiful as well.

#memorycap

#corecap

#nohyperthreadding

I just got the monitor today, and unfortunately I was only able to do the Tatooine stronghold and Tatooine, but frame rates were locked at 60. I'll try out PvP and PvE raids today 04/20

Absolutely, it does look great in 4K. My only complaint is that some of the UI elements cannot be resized to see well. Other than that, it's great to have the extra viewable space. Same goes for using multiple monitors. A three monitor setup is fantastic for WZs.

I tried 4k for a few weeks, but I just can't abide the cursor slowness abs the fact that the UI clearly hasn't been modified to play well with 4k yet.

Sure was buttery smooth to look at though.

Me and my 980ti's are back to 1080p with it though.

Just can't like that cursor and ui.

Been having a blast rocking Farcry Primal at 4k though. Anything with a controller is ducky.

Anything with a mouse cursor...well.

Isn't, in my book.

Not yet.

yeah go in to a 16man raid and the frame rates will be beautiful as well.

#memorycap

#corecap

#nohyperthreadding

Every time I see this it pains me.

no multithreading. Hyperthreading is something completely different and has nothing to do with this game.

Also, they are nowhere near the memory cap on this game. People keep using that as a reason for creating a 64bit client, but it is total bunk.

The problem in ops is inefficient graphics engine and very poor networking. Has nothing to do with the number of cores utilized, threads spun off or how much memory can be used.

I am in 4k also on a 34 inch Monitor

I have a i7-5820 X99 Sabertooth 16 Gigs of DDR4 ram a MSI 980 OC TI twin frozr 2 1 boot 248 gig SSD for OS and 2 500 gig SSDs a 850 + 80 Gold EVGA PS and a bunch of other useless need to know stuff fall it does is game NO suffering no nothing just games.

I never drop below 80 FPS in anything. Normal is 100 +++

from what i understand nothing will need to use all 6 + 6 cores in gaming for many many years and never more then 28 lanes since a 5820 is a 28 lane cpu and the motherboard supports 40 lane 8 cores ( only a grand for the 8 core hyper threading cpu lol )

Len

2017 the death knoll strikes

I am in 4k also on a 34 inch Monitor

I have a i7-5820 X99 Sabertooth 16 Gigs of DDR4 ram a MSI 980 OC TI twin frozr 2 1 boot 248 gig SSD for OS and 2 500 gig SSDs a 850 + 80 Gold EVGA PS and a bunch of other useless need to know stuff fall it does is game NO suffering no nothing just games.

I never drop below 80 FPS in anything. Normal is 100 +++

from what i understand nothing will need to use all 6 + 6 cores in gaming for many many years and never more then 28 lanes since a 5820 is a 28 lane cpu and the motherboard supports 40 lane 8 cores ( only a grand for the 8 core hyper threading cpu lol )

Len

2017 the death knoll strikes

You are correct about the lack of a need for multiple cores, especially for MMOs. SWTOR is CPU heavy, even when you have a powerful GPU, and there is no multi-threading. For just playing SWTOR, you're better off investing in a higher-quality i7 CPU. If you're playing DX 10/11/12 games, yes, it makes more sense to go heavy on the GPU.

For me, the only reason to upgrade the GPU is that my 680 GTX is now performing about half of what a 980Ti puts out (according to Passmark's web site) so it would be worthwhile to upgrade the card from a general standpoint, but my performance gain in SWTOR would be noticeable but not compelling enough to upgrade just for that.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Absolutely, it does look great in 4K. My only complaint is that some of the UI elements cannot be resized to see well. Other than that, it's great to have the extra viewable space. Same goes for using multiple monitors. A three monitor setup is fantastic for WZs.

They can, but you have to edit the .ini files to do it...

Global can be set to more than 1.25, but only manually.

I found 1.75 to work well for global as a starting point, then do each item up or down from there as needed.

• Dev Post

I also have a GTX 970 but my monitor is getting old… sounds like it may be time for an upgrade.

Edited by TaitWatson

I also have a GTX 970 but my monitor is getting old… sounds like it may be time for an upgrade.

That sounds awesome Ben an upgrade is always nice. Usually I'm used to seeing Eric and Tait on here and I'd also just like to say It's very nice to see someone else like yourself talking with us here, I for one appreciate it. :)

I'm definitely interested in getting a 4k screen (who wouldn't want a larger screen? :D) but they are still too expensive IMO. But once the prices go down further... :) Edited by Jerba

Awesome I also need to upgrade mine. Also I also hope we see you on the fourms now. It great to get someone different. I also appreciate your letter and I hope we get more communication like the letter and this post in the future

Edited by commanderwar

Not sure about specific resolution updates, but since launch there have been numerous updates to the graphics.

One of my favourites being the improved shaders for the leaves, Voss looks better than ever.

There's also been the update that allows the devs to set an effect filter, some nice effects now when you drop inside a Rakata mind trap (although the tweaked contrasts on some planets took a little getting used to).