Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An open letter to our players

BenIrving

I guess I should point out that the vague term "group content" could mean many things. It could be as large and wonderful as operation-themed instance like Oricon, or as small and pathetic as a 2+ Heroic on Hutta.

There are many in this game who are holding on by a thin thread to a hope of a hope. I don't think this hint really satiates and/or reinvigorates that optimism.

We need something concrete. Not a date, just a plan.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could just mean more heroic 2 as BW considers it group content.

Kindia doudt it they have not made any other heroics since I think oricon I pretty sure they admitted heroics were now no longer group contect but now solo. But I do not know could be anything

Edited by commanderwar

Maybe one day u'll understand that no one care of solo content. Only casual like that cuz they only do the 15min per month their chap and come back next month. Yes its worth for you, free money but when this terrible chapter story will end. No more free money.

Maybe the cartelboy will keep you alive for few months but no more.

Maybe one day u'll realize thats the hardcore gamer doing PVP/PVE daily that keep your game alive. Open your eyes, thats not the casual who keeped WoW alive since 10 years. Come on how can u be blind like that?

Do what a MMO are made for, release MULTIPLAYERS content seriously. We are in 2016. Wake up

Stop lie in your all communications posts, I HAVE NEVER SEE SOMEONE HAPPY OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE for the last months.

And please stop saying you have work hard for this game. Rescale ( without any idea of what u are doing, i mean, have you realize that the scaling of operation have made impossible timer run ? Like dread fortress with grob'thok taking 10 minutes to die for a boss without any strategy. You have just put more Hp and damage on the boss, thats not enough to keep player motivated to kill boss who they already farmed years ago in every difficult )

And as usual, your post is like speaking to say nothing, always the same message since last year in different words. "We are working hard blablabla" my dog work probably more and he doesnt need to tell us every 2 months

Who died and made you community ambassador? I care about solo content and I like kotfe, so can ya stop projecting this we business in an attempt to give weight to your own personal gripes.

Kindia doudt it they have not made any other heroics since I think oricon I pretty sure they admitted heroics were now no longer group contect but now solo. But I do not know could be anything

They made new heroics for shadow of revan and kotfe. ._.

You talk about new content but yet you still haven't fixed the massive amounts of bugs that are already existing.

Please, for the love of god, fix the broken things first.

ATLEAST, have some positivity. Just for once.. my god

I do not think they made new heroics for kotfe they just remade the olds ones. Shadow of revan do you know which ones because If there was I did not know

You're right, they didn't make a new heroic for sor. I confused blood hunt with a heroic, but it's really a fp. The star fortresses however are the new heroics of kotfe and they aren't recycled.

Maybe one day u'll understand that no one care of solo content. Only casual like that cuz they only do the 15min per month their chap and come back next month. Yes its worth for you, free money but when this terrible chapter story will end. No more free money.

Maybe the cartelboy will keep you alive for few months but no more.

Maybe one day u'll realize thats the hardcore gamer doing PVP/PVE daily that keep your game alive. Open your eyes, thats not the casual who keeped WoW alive since 10 years. Come on how can u be blind like that?

Do what a MMO are made for, release MULTIPLAYERS content seriously. We are in 2016. Wake up

Stop lie in your all communications posts, I HAVE NEVER SEE SOMEONE HAPPY OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE for the last months.

And please stop saying you have work hard for this game. Rescale ( without any idea of what u are doing, i mean, have you realize that the scaling of operation have made impossible timer run ? Like dread fortress with grob'thok taking 10 minutes to die for a boss without any strategy. You have just put more Hp and damage on the boss, thats not enough to keep player motivated to kill boss who they already farmed years ago in every difficult )

And as usual, your post is like speaking to say nothing, always the same message since last year in different words. "We are working hard blablabla" my dog work probably more and he doesnt need to tell us every 2 months

You don't speak for me, I'm happy with KotFE and I'm enjoying it. I am a solo player and I LOVE solo content, and there can always be more of it. I care about it and I want it, and it's why I stay subbed. I'm not a 'casual' by your def, I pay my sub and I'm on the game for at very least a couple of hours most days.

I don't do OPS, or PVP, I don't do group content here, never have never will, so if their business depended on my love of those activities, I'd have been gone ages ago, cause for myself I don't play that, it doesn't matter to me one bit. But I'm not a selfish person, so I hope they will do some things for OPs and PVPers so that they have things too. You might be frustrated cause you're not getting what you like to do, but don't dis the story and people who like it. You don't speak for everybody, and certainly not for me. Just wanted to make it clear to the powers that be, if they're reading this. Story, story and more story! And strongholds, that's what I personally enjoy, and soloable content.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. It's really appreciated.

On the other hand, it would be nice to get at least some kind of mention of what you guys are working on. It doesn't need to be specific, or spoilery. Just....something. We know that there's going to be more story coming out next year. But are you guys working on group content? Flashpoints, Operations, pvp maps? We don't need to know how these things would fit into KotFE. But just some kind of hint or nod that you guys are, in fact, working on some kind of group content or a brand new mode of game play (like you did for GSF or Eternal Championship, for example) would help. Just a simple, "We're in the early stages of production for new group content for people who enjoy grouping together" or, "We're currently in pre production for new game play modes" would be a lot better than "We're working on new stuff, but can't say anything yet".

It would help people who are still on the fence about staying, stay. And might incentivize those who left because of a lack of new group content to come back.

This all of this

Hello Ben and thanks for posting this one forum glad to have one of the leading teams on contacting us on whats going on for the future in the game but I am posting here is their are more bug in the game than you see in the chapters I have played this game on and off for since the game first launched so far the game is great it had a pretty big rocky times when the Hutt cartel expansion released and it was a good start but alot of the players didn't like how the expansion played out mostly because of lack of content and challenging missions, Flashpoints, and of course Operations. Well I am getting ahead of my self anyways I can't really name which bugs that are present but their is a list of bugs still exist in the game even bugs that weren't fixed back when the game was first launched If its due to the lack of bug reports from players I would suggest to have your team since they are players go through the whole content old and new and check for any bugs exist by doing this will help make this game become more enjoyable no one likes a buggy game :)

So far your team is on the right track on making this game better just listen to the players on what that want in the game and put it into a count Please:D

Their are a number of things I like to see addressed in the game mostly the space environment when are you guys gonna make some changes to the remaining old cut scenes when the starship flies into a planet? Also the playstyle of the space missions alot of us player have lost interest in the space missions not only the lack of content mostly but also the way you fly your ship We all want a ship that we have full control since this is an RPG environment . Not only that I would like to see more space involved story missions to were ya fight against fighters, and other ships that stands in the way before ya land onto the planet and begin the next leg of the storyline I my self will make the game more exciting and challenging. But has to be free movement no roller-coaster type of flying to were we can only move so much of the ship ok.:D

So far just keep up with the new content make sure we can still use our crew skills for stuff we need to play harder mode content. and yes keep up making challenging content we all strive that and also can ya make the missions that we level on or daily missions etc more challenging like add more challenge when a character have a higher gear rating so that way when you do missions with a high end gear ya won't blow through the missions with out breaking a sweat.

Ok wanted to post some suggestions for your team keep it up.

You don't speak for me, I'm happy with KotFE and I'm enjoying it. I am a solo player and I LOVE solo content, and there can always be more of it. I care about it and I want it, and it's why I stay subbed. I'm not a 'casual' by your def, I pay my sub and I'm on the game for at very least a couple of hours most days.

I don't do OPS, or PVP, I don't do group content here, never have never will, so if their business depended on my love of those activities, I'd have been gone ages ago, cause for myself I don't play that, it doesn't matter to me one bit. But I'm not a selfish person, so I hope they will do some things for OPs and PVPers so that they have things too. You might be frustrated cause you're not getting what you like to do, but don't dis the story and people who like it. You don't speak for everybody, and certainly not for me. Just wanted to make it clear to the powers that be, if they're reading this. Story, story and more story! And strongholds, that's what I personally enjoy, and soloable content.

Preach! :p

1 paragraph apologizing for bugs.

1 paragraph rehashing content you released.

1 paragraphs not talking about future content.

1 paragraph of PR hype.

1 paragraph making the same empty promises.

0 paragraphs acknowledging specific bugs and time line for fixing them.

0 paragraphs about new content, like operations.

0 paragraphs about the direction of the game.

KotFE ends the same month Legion comes out. Like WoW or not, with the release of Legion it'll have had 5 new raids come out since SWTOR's last. On top of that, WoW's pvp is being completely overhauled from how you gear for it to having a dedicated talent system.

Eventually people are going to realize they don't need to be subbed month-to-month to enjoy SWTOR's current model and this whole letter will be meaningless.

QFT

Love how everyone keeps falling for the same crap over and over

Why does this remind me of a general manager giving a vote of confidence to the head coach 3 days before they fire him?

All the doom and gloom threads in the forum about game dying and this is the one that makes me believe it is. :p

Indeed, I have lost the last bit of confidence I had after reading this.

Hi there!

My name is Ben Irving, Producer for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I don’t often make posts in the forums, in fact, this may be my first ever post. Despite that, our whole team, myself included try to digest all of the internet for SWTOR information – The forums, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Recently there have been questions and concerns around the quality of our releases and the ongoing support for SWTOR and I wanted to stop by to address those concerns.

First off, I want to apologize for some of the issues you have experienced in the last couple of months. The monthly chapter release schedule is new and it has come with some unexpected bugs. It has caused problems for some of you and I want to say I am sorry. At our core, the SWTOR team are all gamers, just like you. We empathize with the excitement of wanting to play a great game only to be blocked by a problem. We spend all of our energy striving to make SWTOR the best game possible and when bugs and other issues get in the way of your player experience, we take it to heart. We are committed to doing better and I think Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark shows we are serious about listening to your concerns and making meaningful changes to address them - a high quality chapter, released on time that we hope has met the expectations of our players.

Onto the future. Is SWTOR going to receive ongoing support? The answer is absolutely yes.

It's worth starting with the things we have already announced, we talk about them on the monthly Producer Live Stream but I think they are still worth mentioning. We had the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire – 9 incredible story driven chapters, 14 companion recruitment missions, Star Fortress, 5 new player levels, 30 flashpoints upgraded to be challenging again, 50 operation bosses upgraded to be challenging again, too many heroic quests to count, a revamp of the 1-60 levelling experience and a huge number of quality of life improvements. More recently we have kicked off our monthly chapter cadence and our third installment – Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark – was just released. That cadence will take us through most of the year ending with Chapter XVI, our story finale for Knights of the Fallen Empire. In addition to all the monthly chapters we have built great supporting content – Recruitment missions to explore the galaxy with some of your favorite companions, the Odessen Proving Grounds Warzone, the Rishi Cove Arena, the Eternal Championship and new levels for crafting. That’s actually more content following a major expansion than we have ever released and the team is really excited for all of you to play it.

The harder part to address, because you have to take my word for it, are all the features and content we are working on that we haven’t yet announced. If you follow Charles Boyd or Paul Marino on social media you may have seen some hints of this. The team recently visited our MoCap studio to create new animations. Charles Boyd spent a week at our VO studio recording more lines of dialogue for future story content. The two most exciting things to share are that our writers are deep into the plot summaries for the next season's worth of chapters and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content. You all know the drill here, I can’t talk about any of the specifics (yet) but what I can say is that we have some REALLY cool stuff to talk about later this year and the whole SWTOR team can’t wait to announce it. Soon. TM.

Knights of the Fallen Empire is the most successful expansion we have ever produced. It received critical acclaim from press and fan sites but most importantly, it has been successful because all of you have supported us through the expansion launch and the release of the monthly Chapters. In the eyes of all of our partners, SWTOR is a huge success. BioWare supports this game. EA supports this game. Lucasfilm supports this game. Disney supports this game. In fact, for a game that has been live for almost 5 years, we are receiving an incredible amount of support from all of our partners. It’s both amazing and humbling.

If there is anything I would like people reading this to take away it’s this: SWTOR is absolutely being supported into the future. We have a lot of content coming over the next few months and even more exciting things to talk about later this year. All of us here at BioWare appreciate your ongoing support and we are committed to providing the best experience possible.

It’s because of you, our players, that this game continues to thrive. Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Ben Irving

Thanks Ben, i am glad the doom mongers are in the wrong here! It is good to see SWTOR continuing to grow and i am looking forward to the content release for SWTOR in the future, i like the storyline and change happens, it is inevitable and so i have followed the story line you and your team have produced. There are a fair few voices who are displeased by the KOTFE storyline because they were expecting "choices to matter", but i think the most important choices made earlier have still to have knock on effects to later choices that will likely have effects into the next big story line you have planned later on.

However the best thing is that the game is continuing to receive support from both EA and Disney, so looking forward to what is coming up.

Edited by Celise

Yes you don't feel cheated, other people might feel cheated, why do you guys act in such a sociopathic manner, the usual "*_____ you I got mine" attitude? Why is it forbidden for a person to show dissatisfaction with how things are going? Why do you feel personally insulted and feel the absolute need to tell me that you don't share my views? Have I claimed that every single person who play this game shares my opinion? Or is it simply the proclamation that more than one person might hold this opinion that offends you? Why can't you let me show my opinion without you trying to lump me with some group or another?

So instead of giving me this rant anwser my question - how do *you* feel cheated? What did the devs lie about? You guys use the same verse over and over again "Bioware failed to diliver on their promises". So here is your chance, bring their lies to the light of day, please.

I am a little surprised that there only going to be sixteen chapters, given the number of companions that are still not around. I do hope that Kira comes back as a main character companion.

I really appreciate that there were attempts for variety in the most recent chapters, even if things did not always work smoothly.

Regarding the problems with the bugs around:

My number one problem with SW:TOR:

Support tickets invariably get closed, regardless of whether the problem is solved.

I would really appreciate if you changed the support system in a way that it leaves the possibility for the customer to comment on the CSRs reply. That's the single one issue that disturbs me most.

Examples: A problem which I had to report twice before it was solved twice was my trooper having two instances of the class story, the original bug report was closed without an attempt of a solution with the explanation "not enough information". In such a case it would be really helpful if you left the ticket open and give the customer the opportunity to ask for that information.

Another problem I had to report five times was my Imperial Agent not having Scorpio as companion. The first report was admitedly a bug report, not a support request. Twice I got the reply that this was not a bug, that I would meet her again at some point later in the story, even though my bug report stated clearly that I had finished "Lady of Sorrows" in Knights of the Fallen Empire and that I did recruit her (again) as part of Knights of the Fallen Empire.

With the pressure the CSRs are on it appears they don't actually read support requests, but skim over them and give any standard answer. "Oh, a player is complaining about a missing companion? It must be that he didn't realize they are removed in Knights of the Fallen Empire." Bam. Problem solved. Another solved issue in the score of the support team.

Yet another issue is my missing Legendary Player Status: I originally acquired it after I finished the Sith Warrior story line, even though I never finished smuggler. I had used level 60 token on smuggler. So, noticing that it was gone, I logged over to the smuggler I had actually played. She was level 50 and on Voss in the storyline at this point. Took me less than two hours to finish the storyline, but nothing happened. I got credit for "finished Corellia with all classes", but not for chapter III. So I report it, get a reply: "Yeah, we know there is this problem, it's gonna be fixed with version 4.4 in early may." Bam, ticket closed.

While there is nothing that can be done about it at the moment, it would have been better to leave the ticket open until a couple of days after the update actually comes live, so that there is a way I can post a follow up if the fix does not work for me. In fact the ticket should remain open as long as the problem exists. And patches which work for most, but not all players are known to happen, as seen in the Imperial Agent case above.

It is really frustrating when a support request gets closed and the problem is not even understood and much less settled.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

From what I'm seeing, people say 'bugs!' But they don't say specifically which bugs bug them.

and I suspect much of it could be L2P issues).

/facepalm

First of all:

Almost all bugs are described here in the forum. If you haven't seen it, then learn2search.

There also exist ingame bug reports and we player will never seen it. Saying that the players don't say specifically which bugs exist and which issues they causes is just a lie.

And last but not least... the OP sayd the swtor team are all gamers. I want to see them playing solo ranked with sniper/merc vs 2 - 3 madness sorcs. Or the rishi map as jumping class. And of course group ranked with merc heal vs sorc heal. :rolleyes:

Edited by Opaknack

Onto the future. Is SWTOR going to receive ongoing support? The answer is absolutely yes.

The harder part to address, because you have to take my word for it, are all the features and content we are working on that we haven’t yet announced. If you follow Charles Boyd or Paul Marino on social media you may have seen some hints of this. The team recently visited our MoCap studio to create new animations. Charles Boyd spent a week at our VO studio recording more lines of dialogue for future story content. The two most exciting things to share are that our writers are deep into the plot summaries for the next season's worth of chapters and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content. You all know the drill here, I can’t talk about any of the specifics (yet) but what I can say is that we have some REALLY cool stuff to talk about later this year and the whole SWTOR team can’t wait to announce it. Soon. TM.

If there is anything I would like people reading this to take away it’s this: SWTOR is absolutely being supported into the future. We have a lot of content coming over the next few months and even more exciting things to talk about later this year. All of us here at BioWare appreciate your ongoing support and we are committed to providing the best experience possible.

It’s because of you, our players, that this game continues to thrive. Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Ben Irving

Thank you Ben Irving!

I have been here since pre-launch and I will continue to support this game for a very long time.

I am very happy with the efforts you make to create a awesome game, sure there are bugs here and there but so has all games.

From a pre-launch member, thank you and I really look foward to all that exciting content that launch the future :tran_smile:

Edited by Icestar

Hi there!

My name is Ben Irving, Producer for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I don’t often make posts in the forums, in fact, this may be my first ever post. Despite that, our whole team, myself included try to digest all of the internet for SWTOR information – The forums, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Recently there have been questions and concerns around the quality of our releases and the ongoing support for SWTOR and I wanted to stop by to address those concerns.

First off, I want to apologize for some of the issues you have experienced in the last couple of months. The monthly chapter release schedule is new and it has come with some unexpected bugs. It has caused problems for some of you and I want to say I am sorry. At our core, the SWTOR team are all gamers, just like you. We empathize with the excitement of wanting to play a great game only to be blocked by a problem. We spend all of our energy striving to make SWTOR the best game possible and when bugs and other issues get in the way of your player experience, we take it to heart. We are committed to doing better and I think Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark shows we are serious about listening to your concerns and making meaningful changes to address them - a high quality chapter, released on time that we hope has met the expectations of our players.

It's worth starting with the things we have already announced, we talk about them on the monthly Producer Live Stream but I think they are still worth mentioning. We had the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire – 9 incredible story driven chapters, 14 companion recruitment missions, Star Fortress, 5 new player levels, 30 flashpoints upgraded to be challenging again, 50 operation bosses upgraded to be challenging again, too many heroic quests to count, a revamp of the 1-60 levelling experience and a huge number of quality of life improvements. More recently we have kicked off our monthly chapter cadence and our third installment – Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark – was just released. That cadence will take us through most of the year ending with Chapter XVI, our story finale for Knights of the Fallen Empire. In addition to all the monthly chapters we have built great supporting content – Recruitment missions to explore the galaxy with some of your favorite companions, the Odessen Proving Grounds Warzone, the Rishi Cove Arena, the Eternal Championship and new levels for crafting. That’s actually more content following a major expansion than we have ever released and the team is really excited for all of you to play it.

Knights of the Fallen Empire is the most successful expansion we have ever produced. It received critical acclaim from press and fan sites but most importantly, it has been successful because all of you have supported us through the expansion launch and the release of the monthly Chapters. In the eyes of all of our partners, SWTOR is a huge success. BioWare supports this game. EA supports this game. Lucasfilm supports this game. Disney supports this game. In fact, for a game that has been live for almost 5 years, we are receiving an incredible amount of support from all of our partners. It’s both amazing and humbling.

Ben Irving

Hi Ben,

Good to hear from you. And I hope you are reading the responses to your post as a lot of us have pertinent questions and concerns you haven't mentioned and would like some answers to.

When you say this expansion has been the most successful, can you answer why the games population is now dwindling or should I say dying. Are you basing this on how many people subscribed or are spending on the cartel market in lieu of the new SW movie hype.

I've played since launch, I've seen the trends of population going up and down based on expansions and other games launching. So I've seen it all. Now I am seeing the lowest population I have ever seen in this game.

You've also moved the game away from being just an MMO, while I can see the benefits of this in drawering in a new gamer base, especially with the movie launch. Most of us who have played since launch, your loyal player base have been forgotten or put by the way side as an after thought.

Don't get me wrong, the story is great and well done, but let's face it, you're now following that story mode model to the detriment of the MMO model.

Lots of your old player base are disgruntled with this move and have left the game for good or until you balance this story mode more with the MMO mode.

Your new players don't really care about this because they are here for the story. We aren't asking you to ignore them in favour of PVP or the MMO version of PVE. What we want is some balance, stop putting all your eggs into the story only model.

Yes you have "finally" given pvpers some new maps after ignoring them for 3 years. But you haven't addressed any of the main concerns regarding PVP that we would have been asking for the last 3 years. It's like you don't listen at all.

Also both these new maps are broken and should not have been released yet. More beta testing was needed before making live.

Which brings me to another point. Quality testing. I know you have an internal quality testing team, but there aren't enough of them to really push the game boundaries to find problems. Instead it feels like you just make it live for your players to beta test. This makes everyone rage, people expect live version to be nearly perfect. This sort of testing is what the PTS is for. While you do put it on the PTS, you do not advertise the testing or incentivise it. I know a lot of PVPers who would have helped you test "if" you had just let us know. Myself and many others have been asking you to advertise for years. All you need to do is put it on the load screen saying we need testers on the PTS for xyz. Offer some special incentives and organise times. This process should also go on for weeks "until" it is perfect and not launched with problems. We want to help, give us a chance. But if we help it would be good if you listened to us as well.

Having more communication on a weekly basis from the community team addressing and discussing openly our concerns we post on the forums would help with the amount of animosity towards you guys. I know this has been promised in the past, but it never happens for more than a few weeks and then we are forgotten again. Having positive two way discussions with your team is away to build trust. You will find that most of us are intelligent and able to have proper debate and offer suggestions that would fix problems.

Onto PVE MMO people. They also feel like they have been left hanging in the wind. I'm not a pver MMO player, so I'll leave it for that part of your player base to explain those concerns.

So Ben, with all this great support you're now getting from your partners, why can't we have a balanced game instead of a story only game. I'm assuming you don't want your old, loyal player base to leave the game because you've changed your focus. Let's put some of those resources to balancing classes for PVP, fixing bugs, fixing populations (possibly from merges) and getting the MMO group feeling back in this game.

Lastly, I have to say that this last expansion has been the only time since launch that I have seriously considered unsubscribing. If a loyal, massive fan and self confessed SW nerd like myself is ready to quite over most of the issues the PVP player base has expressed in our PVP forum section, what do you think the average player is feeling or doing.

Thank you Ben for hopefully reading this and answering some of these concerns.

You've also moved the game away from being just an MMO, while I can see the benefits of this in drawering in a new gamer base, especially with the movie launch. Most of us who have played since launch, your loyal player base have been forgotten or put by the way side as an after thought.

Don't get me wrong, the story is great and well done, but let's face it, you're now following that story mode model to the detriment of the MMO model.

I think they have created a awesome thing with the new chapters comming every month, it is something new to do instead of grinding the old OPS and FPs over and over again. I have still lots of fun with my active guilds, there are always somethings going on. I think this launch with chapters work perfectly together with a good guild to do MMO stuff with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.