Marr

Lunafox

I like Marr's thoughts about the benefits of rumors.

Also it's nice to see the origins of his bond with his daughter. Still I am a bit angry with Marr he chose not to see the child's mother first. I hope she won't come to any negative conlusions, and she will overcome her current condition.

I love that you included it. I believe it's not often post-partum depression is mentioned in fanfiction (or any other fiction), but it's a real thing and it 's not as seldom as one would like to think.

I can see Liaseph being prone to catch it, given the problems she and Marr are facing (or not facing) in their relationship. I am looking forward to find out more about her handmaiden, and hope she offers the necessary support to Liaseph.

This chapter was fascinating as always due to your amazing writing style.....

I loved the part about him sitting at the corner of a chessboard and being blocked by inevitability.

The story of Xerxian was quite interesting, and I must say that for his actions he very much deserved the punishment he received from Marr.

The summons by the Emperor was chilling. Since we know he doesn't die at this point, it is hard to imagine how the Emperor will react to Marr's disobedience and his survival of the poison blood.

The last paragraph though, for me eclipses the entire chapter it is so moving and so beautiful the way Marr is moved to tears holding his newborn daughter. There is indeed still some humanity there:)

I am really looking forward to the next chapter.....what will the Emperor do, and how will Liaseph react to Marr's return?

Edited by Foxfirerose

I liked the first little blurb about riddles and answers, the question must always be asked first, yes? Truly enjoyable chapter. :)

So this is where the myth about Marr's visage begins, nice. He is also quite correct that myth and legend usually starts with a rumor, one feeds the other. It certainly can't hurt to have the fear this incites on his side.

Like Frauzet, I was a bit annoyed at Marr for not going to Liaseph first, however, I think he already knows that something or perhaps everything between them is very broken so I can understand his wanting to see his child before facing the chaos that his personal life has become. He wanted to claim the child as his because he has, likely, already lost the mother. It was refreshing to see your take on post-partum depression, it is a real thing and seldom addressed in real life, let alone fiction.

It is very heartening to see that one thread of humanity that Marr still has and the connection he makes with his child, it almost renewed his soul, somehow, and gave him something more than the empire to devote himself to. The last line was beautiful and I love to have those lines that haunt you long after they have been read.

And the emperor, I have no idea what insanity awaits Marr when he goes to meet him, but Vitiate can't be pleased with the outcome of Marr's task.

Looking forward to the next chapter and the meetings to come. :)

Fantastic chapter as always Luna!!!!

That's a terrible position for Marr to be in, just meeting his baby daughter as he has to prepare for the worst. I can't wait to see what happens next. You have such a way with words, you amaze me. Bioware should give you a job. I mean it!!!!

I feel sorry for Liaseph too having to go through everything by herself. Xerxian's story was fantastic too and how you explained legends growing from rumors.

Way to go!!!! Great read!!!

I love how you took the rumors surrounding Marr and Xerxian and put it into this story, that was pretty cool to read and just one more snippet that 'makes' Marr.

I'm inclined to urge Marr not to hurry meeting the Emperor. I still dread reading it but crossing my fingers for Marr. It helps to know that his final moments are still many years away. His preparations though, trying to get his affairs in order for Liaseph, are good but it made me sad to read he, understandably, dreads the conversation he needs to have with her. Those two... some times my heart aches for them.

The droid made me laugh with his obvious answers annoying Marr. But yikes, Liaseph, three weeks in the hospital already with post partum... that just breaks my heart even more. It was hard to see Marr ask for the child first but I can understand too and at the same time it was, sweet, given his previous stance towards having children.

This line melted me with a bit of heartfelt sniffles too; "and from this time forward she was the heart I no longer had"

Wonderful chapter I'm both thrilled and a little "the feels!" about it. :)

Did we just see the origin of the story about people dying from Marrs unmasked visage?

Beautiful final paragraph. Very moving.

:)

That was indeed the origin story, my take on the business with Xerxian :D I'm glad you enjoyed it and were moved by it, that was my hope. :)

I like Marr's thoughts about the benefits of rumors.

Also it's nice to see the origins of his bond with his daughter. Still I am a bit angry with Marr he chose not to see the child's mother first. I hope she won't come to any negative conlusions, and she will overcome her current condition.

I love that you included it. I believe it's not often post-partum depression is mentioned in fanfiction (or any other fiction), but it's a real thing and it 's not as seldom as one would like to think.

I can see Liaseph being prone to catch it, given the problems she and Marr are facing (or not facing) in their relationship. I am looking forward to find out more about her handmaiden, and hope she offers the necessary support to Liaseph.

Thanks :D I'm glad you enjoyed the origins. I think it would have been nicer if he had gone to see her first, but I think faced with what he's faced with, he wanted to see and get to know his child for as long as he could, because he's uncertain of what the outcome with the Emperor will be. As it is, he's already defying him by seeing his family first. You're right PPD isn't included in stories, at least any that I've seen, and I see Liaseph as someone who would encounter difficulties there, for many reasons...I think she was actually depressed before and this is another complication due in part to that. The handmaiden :D Well, I think she'll provide some support, I'm hoping that will be interesting as we explore it.

This chapter was fascinating as always due to your amazing writing style.....

I loved the part about him sitting at the corner of a chessboard and being blocked by inevitability.

The story of Xerxian was quite interesting, and I must say that for his actions he very much deserved the punishment he received from Marr.

The summons by the Emperor was chilling. Since we know he doesn't die at this point, it is hard to imagine how the Emperor will react to Marr's disobedience and his survival of the poison blood.

The last paragraph though, for me eclipses the entire chapter it is so moving and so beautiful the way Marr is moved to tears holding his newborn daughter. There is indeed still some humanity there:)

I am really looking forward to the next chapter.....what will the Emperor do, and how will Liaseph react to Marr's return?

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoy my style and voice. I often wonder if I'm not a bit too archaic for the younger set, but it is what it is. :D

Showing the story with Xerxian moves Marr a few more steps closer to the man he ultimately becomes. The Emperor is a terrifying prospect at the best of times, I hope that part will be interesting and chilling. *fingers crossed*

I'm glad you enoyed and were moved by the last chapter, I think the baby really is his link to humanity and she gives him something to devote himself to, beside the Empire.

I liked the first little blurb about riddles and answers, the question must always be asked first, yes? Truly enjoyable chapter. :)

So this is where the myth about Marr's visage begins, nice. He is also quite correct that myth and legend usually starts with a rumor, one feeds the other. It certainly can't hurt to have the fear this incites on his side.

Like Frauzet, I was a bit annoyed at Marr for not going to Liaseph first, however, I think he already knows that something or perhaps everything between them is very broken so I can understand his wanting to see his child before facing the chaos that his personal life has become. He wanted to claim the child as his because he has, likely, already lost the mother. It was refreshing to see your take on post-partum depression, it is a real thing and seldom addressed in real life, let alone fiction.

It is very heartening to see that one thread of humanity that Marr still has and the connection he makes with his child, it almost renewed his soul, somehow, and gave him something more than the empire to devote himself to. The last line was beautiful and I love to have those lines that haunt you long after they have been read.

And the emperor, I have no idea what insanity awaits Marr when he goes to meet him, but Vitiate can't be pleased with the outcome of Marr's task.

Looking forward to the next chapter and the meetings to come. :)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed it ^^ I'm also happy that you get Marr's point of view in this, he's uncertain of what will happen with so many things, I think just taking time to meet his child is a respite away from the problems and I think the allure of something so simple and gentle was too tempting to avoid. He wants to see and get to know her for as long as he can before he has to 'face the music.'

I hope that I do PPD justice in the story, it's not something I've suffered personally, but thought that I would like to explore it in the story and maybe shed some light on it, even a little bit.

I do think you're absolutely right in that the baby has renewed Marr and put him more in touch with the spark of humanity he has left, and she's another few steps closer to who he becomes, just as Xerxian was.

Those are the best lines, the ones that stick with you afterward and I'm thrilled that you found them to be so, as much as I did. That scene was very close to my heart. :) The next meetings will be a challenge and I hope I'm able to do them both justice.

Fantastic chapter as always Luna!!!!

That's a terrible position for Marr to be in, just meeting his baby daughter as he has to prepare for the worst. I can't wait to see what happens next. You have such a way with words, you amaze me. Bioware should give you a job. I mean it!!!!

I feel sorry for Liaseph too having to go through everything by herself. Xerxian's story was fantastic too and how you explained legends growing from rumors.

Way to go!!!! Great read!!!

Thanks :D It is a pretty awful situation and as I said, I think the temptation of just indulging in such a simple and profoundly loving moment was too much temptation to avoid. I'm thrilled that you enjoy my voice and am very flattered that you think Bioware should hire me. Hearing that always makes me very happy. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and I thank you for commenting. :)

I love how you took the rumors surrounding Marr and Xerxian and put it into this story, that was pretty cool to read and just one more snippet that 'makes' Marr.

I'm inclined to urge Marr not to hurry meeting the Emperor. I still dread reading it but crossing my fingers for Marr. It helps to know that his final moments are still many years away. His preparations though, trying to get his affairs in order for Liaseph, are good but it made me sad to read he, understandably, dreads the conversation he needs to have with her. Those two... some times my heart aches for them.

The droid made me laugh with his obvious answers annoying Marr. But yikes, Liaseph, three weeks in the hospital already with post partum... that just breaks my heart even more. It was hard to see Marr ask for the child first but I can understand too and at the same time it was, sweet, given his previous stance towards having children.

This line melted me with a bit of heartfelt sniffles too; "and from this time forward she was the heart I no longer had"

Wonderful chapter I'm both thrilled and a little "the feels!" about it. :)

Thanks :D I'm glad you enjoyed the bit about Xerxian, it really does further him closer to the man he becomes. I think Marr dreads the meeting too, because he isn't certain of what the outcome will be and he's preparing for the worst. He doesn't always trust his visions so he can't be sure what he's seen will actually come to be, or if it's just a trick of the future always being in motion.

I think most of Liaseph and Marr's issues stem from the fact that he's away so much, it's very difficult to carry on that way--not impossible, but when there are long spans of zero communication, it can set the mind on edge, fire up the anxieties, depression and insecurity. She is never really sure if he's all right, it's not as if he can call home whenever he feels like it, being with the military. I think communications between them are sporadic to non-existent and that makes it hard to build and maintain a relationship.

I'm glad you noticed the droid, that was an attempt to lighten things a bit, because they are fairly heavy in this chapter. And when aren't protocol droids annoying? :D

I'm really happy that you enjoyed the chapter and the feels :D I think that moment with his child was almost a strength building moment--even the bravest person can be exhaused by difficulties and something as simple as interacting with a child can bolster a person, I think. :)

It was great that you included Xerxian in the story. Touching and exceptionally well written as always.

Can't wait to see what you do next. :rak_03:

Thanks Coge :D Glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate you letting me know. I hope the next chapter lives up to expectations and hopes. :)

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Six~

If the Force has a plan, I am too close to see it.

My daughter fell asleep in my arms and after settling her into the hospital bassinet, I turned away from her with some reluctance to confront her mother.

The gentleness the child had elicited from me faded and what remained bordered between anger and contempt. I failed to understand how it was possible for a mother to reject her own child—our child. I thought of the son we had lost and the depth of her torment over that loss and wondered how she could spurn the girl this way. Perhaps in rejecting her, she was rejecting me.

I stopped thinking of the infant as hers or ours but as mine alone. My child deserved a mother’s devotion and doting. My fist curled at my side and my jaw clenched, disgust churning in my belly.

I marched across the threshold dividing the two rooms, as if on my way to a war room, but before I could give voice to my anger and disappointment I froze at the sight of the diminutive body curled into itself under the covers.

Even in the dim light, I could see her face was drawn and pale as powder and the shiny hair she kept so elegantly coiffed, lay flat and dull as straw against the pillow.

She appeared a wraith and the bony hands clutching the blanket close to her body, served to impress upon me how much she had deteriorated in my absence. I was looking at a stranger.

I don’t remember how long I’d stood there before closing the distance between us, or speaking. I sat at her bedside and removed my gauntlets, setting them aside before laying my hand over hers.

She flinched but didn’t open her eyes. The salty tracks crusted on her cheeks told me she’d cried herself to sleep.

“Liaseph,” I whispered. I hunched over her and ran the backs of my fingers against her cheek. “I’ve returned. I’m here now.”

Her eyes opened, long enough to know they’d registered what she’d seen before closing them again. New tears beaded under her lashes. “Ares…”

“Why didn’t you tell me about the child?”

She sniffled and fixed me with a weary glance. “Why? What difference would it have made? It’s not as if you’d come racing home.”

I sighed and lowered my head. She had a point. It would’ve changed nothing and arguing to insist otherwise would have been a waste of energy. It would have been a lie.

“That’s what I thought,” she said bitterly. “You can’t even take off that—that mask to talk to me properly.”

“If that’s what you want,” I snapped and removed the mask.

Her eyes widened and I sensed her horror. “What happened to you? Your eyes—your face—you look like you’ve aged a decade. It’s like looking at a stranger.” She reached out to me, but before I felt the warmth of her touch, she recoiled. Her lower lip trembled and she clamped her hand over her mouth to stifle her alarm.

“I fell ill for a time. This—what you see—is the cost of the power I required to overcome it—to survive.”

“I don’t understand,” she gasped.

“None of it matters now. If this makes you uncomfortable, I can—” I reached for the mask, but she stayed my hand.

“No…don’t. Forgive me, it’s just—I wasn’t expecting this.” She swiped at her tears and glanced away to collect herself.

“You find me repulsive…”

“No,” she breathed. “Just different.”

“You may have grown to despise me but to take it out on our daughter—she needs you.”

“Is that what you think? That I’m doing this to her on purpose? That I’m doing it to punish you?”

“I don’t know what to think, Liaseph. Why don’t you enlighten me.”

“I don’t know why. I just can’t…I can’t be a mother to her.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not lying.”

“If you would only look at her. She’s beautiful—so much like you.”

“She’s nothing like me,” she snapped. “She’s like you. I could tell—just by how the healers reacted to her.”

“What do you mean?”

Liaseph snorted. “Before anything else—one of them said she’s Force sensitive like it’s some kind of prize. They have no idea.” Her eyes flashed and her mouth tightened into a thin line.

“Where’s this anger coming from…do you hate me so much?”

“You don’t understand. How could you? I’ve never stopped loving you—but I’m afraid what it would mean to love her.”

“You don’t wish to become attached because you’re afraid of losing her—that she’ll die at the academy.”

“I couldn’t stand it if she did. It’s bad enough when you go away. You were sick—you could’ve died, I’d never know. I couldn’t deal with losing you both.” She sucked in a staggered breath and the tears came again. “I can’t help it, it’s all I think about and I can’t stand it. I couldn’t even save her if I tried. I’m nothing. I can’t even protect my own child. Don’t you see?” She gasped. “I’m too weak and you’re never here.”

“I told you it would never be easy between us. You knew my responsibilities and yet you insisted on being with me anyway. But know this—I will always be grateful that you made the effort. I do love you.”

I hoped that she wouldn’t sense the hollowness of the words—the sentiment was sincere, even if it lacked the emotion to give it weight and substance.

“How could you love me? How can I expect you to love me after everything.”

“Liaseph, I do love you and I carry you with me always. You give meaning to all I do. You and our daughter both. Will you not—at least—look at her—hold her?”

“I’m not doing it on purpose, don’t you understand? I can’t be a mother to her. I’m not good enough. I’m weak. You’re never here and the nightmares never stop…”

I narrowed my eyes. “What nightmares?”

Her cheeks flushed and she turned her head away.

“Look at me. What nightmares? Tell me. Is this more to do with that confounded room?”

She sobbed. “I can’t…I’m ashamed.”

“What are you ashamed of?”

“You won’t forgive me.”

“Tell me and I will tell you if I can forgive it—but neither of us can exist this way.”

“I spoke to that spirit in my dreams…your ancestor. I was lonely, I just wanted someone to talk to. I welcomed him.”

Her words chilled me and I sat stock straight. If it were possible for my blood to crystallize, it would have.

“Tell me, very precisely what happened in these dreams.”

“We would talk mostly and he’d show me things, take me places I never dreamed could exist—he was kind to me. He reminded me of you when we were on Alderaan. When I learned I was pregnant—he was the first one I told—I wanted it to be you. He asked me if I was happy and I told him I wasn’t. He asked what he could do to help me—and I told him, that I wished that our child would have no Force powers because I didn’t want her to die. What I really wanted was you. I missed you so much.

“He said that he wouldn’t take her powers away, but that he would magnify them so that I wouldn’t have to be afraid of losing her. He said—that he’d keep her safe.”

I sighed and shook my head, the anger building. “You made a bargain with him. Do you have any inkling of what you’ve done?”

“What are you talking about? Why are you angry? They were just dreams, it’s not real. I was lonely…the dreams helped me cope.”

“I’m angry because you’ve damned yourself. It is real, as real as you and I in this room, at this very moment. Did I not warn you? What do you think drives my power? Bargains such as these and the lost souls who made them. What did he want in return? What did you promise him?”

“Nothing!”

“Liaseph…what did you promise him?”

“That’s why he won’t leave me alone, I promised nothing—it wasn’t what I wanted. I didn’t want her to be Force sensitive.”

“So—he’s looking to collect something in return for his boon.”

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” she murmured sobbing into her hands.

“As if I didn’t have enough to contend with,” I snarled.

“What are you talking about?”

“The Emperor has summoned me—I defied him…I failed him. I failed the Emperor, Liaseph. Do you know what that means?”

“You don’t expect to survive…do you?”

“No. But now it seems I must—if not for you, then for our daughter.”

“Let’s get away from this place…we’ll leave, never come back.”

“There is no place to hide. I will not hide.”

“Don’t go, please.” She clasped my hand and held it with surprising strength. I pulled free.

“I must. I had hoped to carry the memory of you and our child with me…”

Liaseph held herself and stared straight ahead, her body shaking. “What are we going to do?”

“Survive.” I snatched up my mask and gauntlets and swept out of the room, pushing past her Twi’lek handmaiden as she returned. The servant’s profuse apologies followed me like ghosts down the hall.

With barely a thought, I found myself in the cockpit of my shuttle. Minutes later, I strode into our home and found myself in the temple she had duplicated for me from her dreams.

“She’s mine!” I bellowed. The shadows wriggled in the chamber. “Mark my words, you will leave us be, or I will expel you to the void. She owes you nothing. You will not interfere with us!”

The darkness thickened in one corner and formed into a man. “Did she believe her company was enough? That the sight of her naked on my altar was enough? That the warmth of her mortal flesh was enough to thaw my ectoplasm?” Hord laughed and the shadows defined themselves more fully until I could see the lines of his armor.

I paced, seething until only the altar stood between myself and the apparition. “The child…is she mine? Is she my daughter? Or yours.”

“You know the answer to that as well as I do.”

“Speak plainly!” I growled and overturned the stone altar, breaking the surface slab into three pieces. “Is the child mine?”

“Of course she is…I only made it possible for the materials to unite. You mortals and your contraceptives—believing you can defy the divine.”

“Enough! You have no claim on her—be gone!”

“And what if I’m inclined to continue my nightly visitations? What would you do to keep me out of her dreams? What would you give?”

“I would give you nothing. I will find the means to erase you from every realm. The Force will not save you from my wrath.”

“Bold words Ares—but the blood that unites our family will ensure that I am never far.”

“Is that a threat? You dare?”

“No—a truth, even if it pains you to acknowledge it.” The spirit faded, leaving me before the ruined altar.

I roared and summoned the Force to express the full scope of my rage. When I finished, the temple had been reduced to crumbs and I marched through the clouds of settling dust.

The idiot protocol droid dared to peer into the ruined chamber and stammer at me.

I stalked past the rambling droid. “Clean this up,” I barked on my way to the shuttle.

Two hours later, I drifted into the shuttle bay of the Emperor’s Fortress. The force field was an emerald flash sealing me inside.

The bay was conspicuously empty, void of technicians, troops or personnel. The sweet fruity smell of space still clinging to the ship wafted around me as I disembarked.

The corridors were just as empty as the shuttle bay. There were no ghosts or specters seeking to impart their torments upon me this time, nor were any of the scarlet-robed guardians present.

I reached out with the Force and felt nothing. I was truly and utterly alone.

If I’d been concerned with all I’d felt and seen here before, I was doubly worried by the lack of it now. It was as if every presence had been devoured or ejected into space.

The fortress creaked and groaned like a long forgotten derelict vessel straddling the furthest reaches of space. I sensed no orbit or movement. The ship hung in space like a spider dangling over its web and I inched ever closer to its ropy trap.

As I neared the Emperor’s sanctum, I sensed two beings—their signatures within the Force unmistakeable—the Executioner and the Emperor himself.

The doors swung open and I marched inside with no hesitation. I paused at the base of the throne and took a knee. I bowed my head but kept my gaze fixed on the step before me. “My Lord Emperor.”

“You look—well. Rise.” the Emperor remarked as if it were a casual observation. I knew it was much more than that.

I stood and clasped my hands behind my back.

“You’ve come to face me alone.”

“I have.”

“What of the Dread Masters? I had expected that they would join me here, and yet they have not. Why?”

“They are not as you remember them—they’ve been altered. I located their husks on the Republic prison world of Belsavis, on the Outer Rim. Releasing them from suspended animation would have resulted in their immediate demise. I have not been able to ascertain what the Republic has done, but they are no longer of any use to you.”

“Explain. They’re alive?”

“While their bodies live—their spirits have been emancipated in some way.”

“It is not like the Jedi to practice such dark rituals.”

“That was my thought as well.”

“What do you make of this? Why allow the bodies to live in captivity, what is the purpose of this?”

“Perhaps a means of harnessing the power of the Dread Masters has been discovered and their essences are kept elsewhere. It’s entirely possible that the Republic and the Jedi are unaware of this alteration. There could be another force at work.”

“An interesting theory.” The Emperor shifted his weight upon the throne and glared down at me hawkishly. “I was told that you visited a world bordering Hutt space. Why?”

“The Voss. I traveled there in the hopes of learning the fate of the Dread Masters.”

“Why would they know? Did you sense their presence there?”

“No, but the Voss are Force sensitive. Neither Jedi nor Sith, but they are known to have visions. I had hoped to share in these visions and learn the answers I required.”

“And did you?”

“No. They are xenophobic to the extreme. But a dark side entity threatens their existence—a being capable of instilling madness—perhaps it is something we could harness.”

The Emperor’s eyes narrowed as he mulled over the information. “Lord Scourge—is all of this true?”

The Executioner stepped out of the shadows and fixed me with his glare. “Yes, My Lord Emperor—every word. Lord Marr speaks the truth. He did everything within his power to return the masters.”

“You—you had me followed?” I growled.

“I had to be certain you could be trusted—that you would not defy me, or turn them against me.”

“Then why not send your right hand—clearly you trust him.” I fuelled the false indignation and bravado within me until my blood seethed. If I had been followed, the Executioner would know the truth—but why would he corroborate my story?

The Emperor’s agitation and anger swelled, but I held my ground between them. “It may yet be possible to restore the Dread Masters, but it will take time, perhaps years of research—but even if they can be restored, I have one concern—once freed, will they still serve you? Their loyalty cannot be guaranteed.”

The Emperor smashed his fist against the armrest of his throne. “I need them now. Not years from now. I must deal with this new threat,” he hissed.

“A new threat?”

The Emperor snarled under his breath and looked away.

The Executioner cast a glance back at his master and the Emperor’s subtle flourish of fingers must have served as permission to speak on his behalf.

“Three weeks ago, My Lord Emperor and I sensed a disturbance in the Force—one that threatens the Emperor himself. I’ve foreseen it—this threat must be found. You’ve proven yourself loyal—you are the Defender of the Empire. If anyone can find it—I believe you can.”

His words seemed to carry a conspiratorial weight—one I couldn’t account for. Perhaps, I had imagined it.

The silence between us lasted an age.

“I take no orders from you. If our Lord Emperor wills it, then I will do all in my power to root out this threat to the Empire.”

Lord Scourge’s lip curled up and for a moment I thought I saw amusement in his eyes. Perhaps they were toying with me. He stood aside and glanced back at the Emperor.

“You have your orders, Marr—find the threat against me and end it. Dismissed,” the Emperor barked.

I bowed and left the Emperor’s Fortress.

It wasn’t until I’d returned to the hospital that it occurred to me—if the Emperor’s Executioner had followed me, would I not have sensed it?

And if he had followed me, what else did he know? Perhaps this threat against the Emperor was the one Mala-Ro spoke of.

The Destroyer will come through you, but will not be one of you.

I needed to meditate on all that had happened, but first, I stopped at the nursery. The bassinet was empty, but the door to Liaseph’s room stood ajar and I peered through it—though she didn’t interact with the child, she was in the same room with her. The Twi’lek held our child in her arms and fed her a ration of formula.

I watched from afar until the Twi’lek glanced up and betrayed my presence.

“My Lord,” the servant announced.

Liaseph sat up. “Ares…you’re—you’re alive.” She smiled through her tears and I nodded.

The handmaiden finished feeding our daughter and stood. “Would you care to hold her, My Lord?”

“I would.”

She shifted the child into my arms. “Forgive me, my lord, I hoped to introduce myself earlier.”

“There was no time.”

“But there is now—I am Una Vara. If you need anything at all, please let me know. I’m happy to help.”

“I will, but for now, you are dismissed.”

“Of course, my lord.” The Twi’lek bowed and left the room.

I sat on the edge of the bed so that Liaseph could not avoid our daughter.

“Ares, you spoke to the Emperor? Is everything all right?”

“For now.”

We sat in silence for what seemed a long time. “She needs a name, Liaseph.”

“You name her. I don’t know what to call her.”

“I would name her for her mother.”

“After me? No,” she shook her head. “Name her after yours.”

“Lilin? It doesn’t suit her. What was your mother’s name?”

“She was Beatrix…”

“Hmm. Liatrix…to honor both you and your late mother.”

What I believed was meant to be a stolen glance grew into something longer and more intent. Liaseph stared at the child and wept.

“All right…Liatrix,” she whispered. “Her name is Liatrix.”

((to be continued…))

A truly fascinating and revealing chapter. I loved it!

If the force has a plan......

"The Destroyer will come through you, but will not be one of you" I believe the Destroyer is Liatrix, born of Marr and who will be a Jedi, not a Sith (not one of you).

And Scourge knows all of it. That is why he helped Marr in the Emperor's chambers. The disturbance in the force must have been the birth of Liatrix !

The encounter between Marr and Tulak Hord was rather chilling. What could Hord possibly want from Liaseph now, in return for his so called "boon". I guess we will have to wait for future chapters to have the answer to that question.

I am very much looking forward to the next update:)

Edited by Foxfirerose

I agree with Foxfirerose, another great chapter, and I concur with her conclusions.

I still love how you interweave this story with your previous ones and the ingame events. This adds so much more depth to them all.

I am looking forward to find out what happens next.

Kudos!

Wonderful chapter and I love the way things are falling into place even if Marr's not entirely aware of it yet. The disturbance in the Force, Liatrix's birth, Scourge's willingness to cover for him, the Voss' words...

It's hard to see Liaseph as she is now but I can understand where her fears stem from. There's so much loneliness and darkness in her life, leaving the way open for so much hurt, for people to take advantage. Oddly enough, though reading several Chapter's ago how Hord had reached her... I'd expected Ravage to be the bigger threat. Had somehow begun to overlook Tulak Hord. Filthy entity blergh. Well done.

I'm glad Scourge 'covered' for Marr. Not sure he's connected the dots yet between Marr and his own 'vision' but I do believe keeping the Dread Masters away is a thing they'd both want. I'm surprised the Emperor sensed no deception in Marr's words at all, but then again he's got Lord Scourge at his side who's been somewhat deceiving him for years so lol.

Love how the name was put together too, and hoping perhaps Liaseph will now open up to her baby...

Great job as ever. :)

Wonderful chapter.

Very nice setup for your other stories and Scourge's vision leading to the Jedi Knight story. Wasn't expecting Tulak to be involved and I do wonder what he wants. The child perhaps?

Seems the emperor is not so prescient as thought, or Scourge is messing with him, Go Scourge.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

A truly fascinating and revealing chapter. I loved it!

If the force has a plan......

"The Destroyer will come through you, but will not be one of you" I believe the Destroyer is Liatrix, born of Marr and who will be a Jedi, not a Sith (not one of you).

And Scourge knows all of it. That is why he helped Marr in the Emperor's chambers. The disturbance in the force must have been the birth of Liatrix !

The encounter between Marr and Tulak Hord was rather chilling. What could Hord possibly want from Liaseph now, in return for his so called "boon". I guess we will have to wait for future chapters to have the answer to that question.

I am very much looking forward to the next update:)

I'm glad you enjoyed it :D And it looks like you've got everything figured out, there is always the worry of being too vague. Tulak Hord definitely has his ideas and goals for a ghost, and I think he's just trying to figure out the best way to get what he wants, which is pretty much what many ghosts want. Thanks again so much for reading and commenting. :)

I agree with Foxfirerose, another great chapter, and I concur with her conclusions.

I still love how you interweave this story with your previous ones and the ingame events. This adds so much more depth to them all.

I am looking forward to find out what happens next.

Kudos!

Thanks :D I'm glad you enjoy the way I link the stories up, it takes a bit of effort to remember all that stuff. I'm always paranoid I'll forget something. Thanks so much for reading and letting me know what you think. :)

Wonderful chapter and I love the way things are falling into place even if Marr's not entirely aware of it yet. The disturbance in the Force, Liatrix's birth, Scourge's willingness to cover for him, the Voss' words...

It's hard to see Liaseph as she is now but I can understand where her fears stem from. There's so much loneliness and darkness in her life, leaving the way open for so much hurt, for people to take advantage. Oddly enough, though reading several Chapter's ago how Hord had reached her... I'd expected Ravage to be the bigger threat. Had somehow begun to overlook Tulak Hord. Filthy entity blergh. Well done.

I'm glad Scourge 'covered' for Marr. Not sure he's connected the dots yet between Marr and his own 'vision' but I do believe keeping the Dread Masters away is a thing they'd both want. I'm surprised the Emperor sensed no deception in Marr's words at all, but then again he's got Lord Scourge at his side who's been somewhat deceiving him for years so lol.

Love how the name was put together too, and hoping perhaps Liaseph will now open up to her baby...

Great job as ever. :)

Thanks :D I think he's definitely too close to see it and I'm not sure if he would even if he wasn't. I think it's more obvious to us, because we know how things will turn out, but it's always harder to figure it out when it's happening right at that moment. I think that's where Marr is at. So much more will make sense to him, once he has a chance to reflect on it all.

Hord and Ravage are both threats really, but they sort of intertwine and give reason for the other...I don't think that makes sense at this point, but will hopefully make sense later in the story.

I'm glad Tulak has retained his smarmy lecherous personality, it's been a while since I've had to write for him.

It's as you say, Scourge doesn't need the Dread Masters getting underfoot, and I think as you say he hasn't connected the dots, but the Force gives him the feeling that he should help Marr. I think he respects his work ethic and pragmatism and he knows what a jerk the Emperor is and can be. I don't think the Emperor can always detect when people lie to him, as you say, Scourge has been doing it for years. I think the trick is to tell enough truth, that the deception is disregarded. You can say you went to the store to buy ice cream, but you don't have to reveal that you really got popsicles instead. :D

I'm really glad that you liked it. And now we have to see to Liaseph hopefully getting better. :)

Wonderful chapter.

Very nice setup for your other stories and Scourge's vision leading to the Jedi Knight story. Wasn't expecting Tulak to be involved and I do wonder what he wants. The child perhaps?

Seems the emperor is not so prescient as thought, or Scourge is messing with him, Go Scourge.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Thanks Misha, that means a lot to hear. And you're right about Tulak, he wants to live again, one way or another. I think Scourge has mastered the art of lying to the Emperor and I think Marr is catching on too, that you tell enough truth that the rest slides by unfelt. I'm glad you liked it, and I appreciate that you read it and let me know your thoughts. Thank you! ^^

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Seven~

Joy is fleeting, vengeance is forever.

A year passed. And then another and another.

With time, and with the help of healers and medication, Liaseph came to accept our daughter, but despite her best efforts, she remained apprehensive. The child didn’t understand why her mother would cleave to her one moment but reject her the next.

Our daughter catered to her mother’s moods. During those times when Liaseph was aloof, Liatrix would retreat to her room or play in the gardens. The Twi’lek servant took it upon herself to supervise the child from afar and would on occasion play with her.

Despite Liaseph’s inconsistent attentions, I sensed in our daughter a growing protectiveness toward her mother. If she sensed my displeasure with Liaseph, she would attempt to charm and distract me until my upset was forgotten.

To compensate for her mother’s distant nature, I took it upon myself to spoil our daughter with countless trinkets and souvenirs from my travels. When duty permitted, I instructed her—I told her the stories of our family; I taught her music, art, and history—all the things a proper Sith lady should know—but there was too much of me in her and these lessons were quickly eschewed in favor of the lightsaber.

I taught her the prerequisites of dueling and observed as she practiced in the garden with her stick.

Watching her, became a meditation of sorts. She was ruthless and quick for a youngling and her ability to duel became second nature. But with my pride came a grim realization—one I dared not voice—but no matter how I tried to disregard Mala-Ro’s prophecy, his words haunted me and with every skill the child mastered, the prophecy seemed to gather more credence.

The more I meditated on the Voss’s words, the more opaque they’d become. I couldn’t find the truth in them because I didn’t want to find it. I alone understood what it meant and out of concern for her safety, I abandoned the prophecy and with it any ambition to find the threat against the Emperor.

In forsaking these things, I found solace in the rationalization that the prophecy was a mistake, that it didn’t apply to her—she was, after all, one of us. That would not change.

Our lives fell into a predictable pattern of contentment, worry, and resentment. The state of the galaxy prohibited lengthy shore leave, and more often than not, I was more akin to an honored guest than master of my own home.

On the days I was due to return, Liatrix would sit on the garden wall and watch for me. Upon my arrival, she would throw herself into my arms and giggle with delight. This simple act kindled what was left of my humanity and when I was with her I remembered what it was to know joy.

I carried her into our home where I would receive a more restrained but no less loving welcome from her mother. At last we knew something of the normalcy we each had craved at one time or another.

We divided our time between Kaas City and Corellia, where we would view the animals in their famed zoo and botanical gardens. Whether at home or far away, I came to see the galaxy through new eyes and my daughter’s wonderment reminded me that there was more to this existence than war.

My love for Liatrix manifested as indulgence—her whims and desires became my missions. During our visit to Corellia, Liatrix became enamored with a cheeky albino monkey lizard. The creature would follow us for as long as its enclosure allowed and when it could go no further it chortled and cried. Liatrix whimpered for the creature but Liaseph would have none of it.

It wasn’t until our return to Dromund Kaas, that I discovered a stowaway on board and our household population increased by one. Liatrix and the creature became inseparable and she took to calling it her ‘little brother,’ much to her mother’s chagrin.

What little I knew of happiness came through trifling moments such as these, but they were all too fleeting and no matter how I clung to them, they weren’t to last.

The Republic fleet had assumed a high orbit over Ziost—an act of war that could not be permitted to stand. I had less than an hour to make my farewells and rendezvous with the fleet.

A silver flash caught my eye and I ambled toward it. I tugged the utensil out of the gatepost and examined it—a fork that had gone missing from Liaseph’s dinner service. The tines were bent at an awkward angle and the tarnish indicated it had been trapped in the wood for some time. Strange, that I hadn’t noticed it before.

I discarded the ruined utensil inside and sent communiques to Angral and Malgus. No sooner had I finished this chore, the all too familiar tug of the Forcetide reminded me that I was not of this world, but the one beyond it.

“Not yet,” I whispered. “I’m not finished.”

As I uttered the last of my protest, the world became a blur of shifting colour and I was hauled back to the Forcetide beach like an escaped convict.

The beach had become more dismal than I remembered, the sea, the treed banks all defined by varying shades of grey. The void had grown larger and more menacing and the peculiar music had dulled to a pathetic drone. At least, I was spared the disorientation that usually accompanied my arrivals and departures.

The remaining vestiges of the past melted away and my anger rose. I shook my fists and bellowed, “I said, not yet!”

The void moved closer to me, responding to my anger like a magnet. With every step backward, it advanced.

“I must know the truth,” I growled.

“The answers you seek do not exist in your past. Reliving that time serves nothing. You know I speak the truth.”

“No. I will not yield.”

“And I will not fight you,” the voice replied gently.

“Then we’re at a stalemate!”

“Anger will not serve you here, it feeds the void, draws it nearer. To receive the answers you seek, you must meditate on the Force—then—the truth will be revealed.”

The voice’s dispassionate logic disarmed me. “Who are you?”

“Who I am is irrelevant for the time being. All will become clear when the time is right,” the voice replied.

It was not in my nature to trust disembodied voices and the darkness whispered to me that it was a trick.

It sounds like a Jedi and they are not to be trusted…

As my fury grew, so too, did the void. It drew closer, like a predator closing in on its prey and I realized the voice from beyond spoke the truth.

I knelt on the beach and gave myself to the will of the Force.

The sky and sea darkened until it became the galaxy—specifically the space surrounding Ziost. I watched as the Empire blasted free of hyperspace, coming head to head with the Republic fleet. Though I tried to discern which side attacked first, it was impossible to tell—but none of it mattered.

The sky erupted in a rain of colour and the battle for Ziost began. I frowned. “No—this is not it. This is not what I seek—I was here. I know how this ends. The Empire prevailed—We reclaimed Ziost.”

“And so you did. Trust in the Force,” the voice beyond the Void reminded.

I sighed heavily and considered the advice. “It would seem, there is no other way.”

The war over Ziost faded, but the darkness remained. I recognized the stars above as the constellations forming The Emperor’s Cloak. I had been returned to Dromund Kaas—I was home.

My body quaked and bile salted my mouth. I stared into the darkened expanse, the silhouettes of the trees swaying to and fro in the damp current. Clouds drifted over the moons to steal what little of the light there was.

The air was redolent with the crackling smell of ozone that came with a building storm. It was almost peaceful and yet I couldn’t urge my feet forward because I knew how this night would end.

The voice from the Forcetide became a presence behind me and I felt the comforting weight of a hand upon my elbow. “Darth Marr—you’ve never shied from adversity, even at its most painful. Do as you have always done.”

I glanced back at the shadowed figure behind me and frowned under my mask. “You—but why?”

“Because I was asked to help you, by a mutual friend of ours—Master Zho.”

“This--this...is most unexpected…Master Shan.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Most unexpected, indeed. This qualifies as a cliffhanger.

I like how you summed up the years inbetween and created a sense of time rushing by.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

(And I do wonder what happened to that poor fork and why.)

So it IS Satele after all that conniving twisted... *zips her mouth* I mean, how kind of her to guide him in the Force tide... :o God that was my first instinct and then I talked myself out of it. Nice!

I loved this; "but there was too much of me in her and these lessons were quickly eschewed in favor of the lightsaber.", it sounds about right in terms of how we know Marr and Liatrix in your stories.

You did really nice slowly skipping across time, pushing the story forward while still highlighting key moments, moments worth smiling and aww'ing about and still making it feel like we're moving right along with the three of them and mostly Marr.

I do wonder where all this is going to lead him in the end (besides his obvious death). Solid chapter Luna, well done! :)

To be shown the meaning of one's life, no matter the source, is a gift of sorts. Marr, above all, desires or even deserves clarity. Satele, of all people, but at the prodding of Master Zho, interesting.

You relayed the passage of years nicely, showing how life falls into a pattern and I am glad that Marr has Liatrix to fill whatever spaces of humanity he still possesses. I do like how Marr denies the Voss prophecy in the fact that he sees his daughter as Sith.

I also wonder about the fork, nice little tidbit awaiting an answer.

Well crafted chapter, looking forward to the next. :D

The air was redolent with the crackling smell of ozone that came with a building storm. It was almost peaceful and yet I couldn’t urge my feet forward because I knew how this night would end.

I am wondering just how that night -does- end. Can't figure that one out.

There is no spoon......but there IS a fork:) Would like to know how the fork got there and why also.

And when I read the end and Marr speaking to "Master Shan" I ruled out that it could be Satele simply because she was not dead at that time.....so how could she be in the force tide? I thought maybe another Shan....an ancestor?

I liked this chapter and concur with the others that you did an excellent job on the time skip. It was very smooth and nothing felt awkward about it. Now to anticipate the next chapter and perhaps some answers to our questions:)

Most unexpected, indeed. This qualifies as a cliffhanger.

I like how you summed up the years inbetween and created a sense of time rushing by.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

(And I do wonder what happened to that poor fork and why.)

It's a little bit of a cliffhanger, but I promise I will not wrap this up on a cliffhanger, that would be just mean lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and didn't find the passage of time jarring, that's always a relief to hear. Thanks for the support. I didn't think the fork was that big of a mystery--it pertains to a scene near the end of TFoAD, but I'll be sure to provide an answer/reminder. :D

So it IS Satele after all that conniving twisted... *zips her mouth* I mean, how kind of her to guide him in the Force tide... :o God that was my first instinct and then I talked myself out of it. Nice!

I loved this; "but there was too much of me in her and these lessons were quickly eschewed in favor of the lightsaber.", it sounds about right in terms of how we know Marr and Liatrix in your stories.

You did really nice slowly skipping across time, pushing the story forward while still highlighting key moments, moments worth smiling and aww'ing about and still making it feel like we're moving right along with the three of them and mostly Marr.

I do wonder where all this is going to lead him in the end (besides his obvious death). Solid chapter Luna, well done! :)

Yes it was Satele's presence indeed. I remember when you voiced your suspicions lol I panicked a little. I didn't want her to be figured out so soon. ^^ I wanted to include her, so that there is a reason for them to be together on Odessen. So I was trying to be vague-ish :D

Liatrix is her father's daughter, in many ways, in all the best ways...and while she has the best of her father, she has the worst of her mother, go figure.

I'm glad the time skip worked out, as cute as some of the scenes I'd imagined were, I was reaching the point of it where I was a bit daunted by the prospect of elaborating too much on it. It's been about a year I've been working on this and want to wrap it up. There is still a bit more to come, but I preferred to spend my energy on wrapping up the story in a good way by focussing on the more important aspects of it, so importance over cuteness I guess. :)

I'm really happy that you enjoyed it...now let's just hope that I can conclude it in a satisfactory way. :)

To be shown the meaning of one's life, no matter the source, is a gift of sorts. Marr, above all, desires or even deserves clarity. Satele, of all people, but at the prodding of Master Zho, interesting.

You relayed the passage of years nicely, showing how life falls into a pattern and I am glad that Marr has Liatrix to fill whatever spaces of humanity he still possesses. I do like how Marr denies the Voss prophecy in the fact that he sees his daughter as Sith.

I also wonder about the fork, nice little tidbit awaiting an answer.

Well crafted chapter, looking forward to the next. :D

Thank you so much for the kind comments. It's been a belief of mine that after you die, you become a bit omniscient and get to see everything that affected your life and made it what it was, both your own actions and those around you--and Marr had questions about some of events of his life, mostly about the loss he suffered and how it affected him. I think Zho understands that Satele is the ideal person to help Marr, because she had a hand in how some of the events unfolded and that she should see the effects of that.

The fork...such a small thing becomes a mystery. It's not really that big of a deal, just a clue that harkens back to a scene in Foundation of all Desire. In showing the tarnished fork stuck in the gate, I hoped to show that the event that put it there happened some time ago. I think it will make sense once I put the reminders in place. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story and I'm grateful for your insights. ^^

I am wondering just how that night -does- end. Can't figure that one out.

There is no spoon......but there IS a fork:) Would like to know how the fork got there and why also.

And when I read the end and Marr speaking to "Master Shan" I ruled out that it could be Satele simply because she was not dead at that time.....so how could she be in the force tide? I thought maybe another Shan....an ancestor?

I liked this chapter and concur with the others that you did an excellent job on the time skip. It was very smooth and nothing felt awkward about it. Now to anticipate the next chapter and perhaps some answers to our questions:)

Well, you won't have to wait long for what happens that night and afterward. I hope to get that resolved very soon. :)

As I said before, I didn't think the fork would end up a mystery, it was basically intended to address an event that happened in Foundation of All Desire and the fact that the fork was tarnished was meant to show that the event took place quite a while ago, before Marr was summoned to fight for Ziost. I'm going to include a reminder and hopefully that will make the fork business clearer.

Sorry for any confusion, Master Shan is Satele Shan, because in my stories, well specifically in The Foundation of All Desire, she was killed off...it made more sense to me that she be dead--because I have a hard time picturing Satele Shan that is in game camping and meditating about the war with the Eternal Empire--from what I know about her, she is a more hands on person, she would be fighting--it makes no sense to me that she would hide away on the distant sidelines...if she was dead, well that would be a good reason why she wasn't helping, and it made more sense to me, that she encounter Marr in the afterlife, well, because they're both dead. I never liked the way the game handled the situation with them, so I'm writing out my own take on it. They are distant relations (in my universe), so it's not so far out of the realm that she would find and help him, even if Master Zho (who is also dead) put them in a position of having to help each other, as both are linked to what happened and are getting to see the consequences of their actions in life. While Marr was re-experiencing his life, Satele was experiencing something similar and upon nearing the ends of their life's truths, they met up. I just don't have the passion to write out Satele's life like I did for Marr. I may someday...maybe a shorter story for her, but I don't really love her, so I don't know, no promises.

I hope your questions get answered in the next chapters, I do have quite a bit still left to wrap up and I'm at the stage where I'd like to 'get 'er done.' :D Thanks for reading and for your kind comment. ^^

Finally I'm all caught up. Lovely chapter that ties things together. You know how to work with words. *Claps*. I look forward to the next installment.

Yay! :D I'm so happy to hear that. And thank you so much for the beautiful compliment and comment, it means a lot to hear. Thank you again! ^^

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Eight~

The past is as much a prison as a locked room.

Satele Shan turned away from me. “Perhaps not as unexpected as you’d think. After I died, I found myself in the Forcetide and like you, I’ve been reviewing my life—who I was, who I became and most of all, where I went wrong.”

“I knew your Master but a few short days. I would barely count him as an acquaintance, let alone a friend.”

“Clearly you made quite an impression on him.”

“If he had something to say to me, why are you here?"

“We were on parallel paths for a long time, you and I, but something changed—through Master Zho, I’ve come to understand why our lives intersected—and because of this, he believes we might help each other atone.”

“Atone for what? I have nothing to atone for,” I grunted.

“And yet you dwell on the past—searching…”

“With respect to you and your master, I’d prefer to be alone. Leave me.”

She bowed slightly and steepled her hands in a gesture of respect. “Very well, but remember, you must break with the past—there can be no future until you do. I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for.”

“As do I,” I muttered.

Her apparition faded and I was alone once more. This was not a moment to share with a stranger, let alone a Jedi, and I was relieved that she was gone. Sharing the moment that defined my life might have made it easier to bear, but it was not abatement I was searching for. I would know the full brunt of my actions and the ordeal that followed. This journey was for me alone.

The night had grown darker and thicker—shadows upon shadows towering over the land. The moonlight defined only the barest outline of our home and its surrounding gardens.

The ginx hopped past me unaware and settled into a thicket of leaf grass near the fountain. After a trio of lazy croaks the creature fell silent and I noticed for the first time since my arrival, that the entire jungle held its breath in wait.

The snap of a twig nearby announced an intruder. I searched the darkness. Dressed in flecktarn camouflage, with a blaster at her hip, Liaseph’s Twi’lek servant, Una Vara appeared, barely visible against the foundation of the stronghold.

She sloughed the heavy pack off her shoulder and every half meter she paused to apply a charge along the supports.

After she’d emptied the pack, she withdrew a detonator and sprinted into the jungle for cover.

Instinct demanded that I disarm the explosives and I discovered that I could not. The past would always be the past no matter how desperately I wished to alter it.

With no means to save my family, I stood helplessly and watched the past unfold.

A livid blue flash ripped through the stronghold and passed through me unfelt. The ground shook and a rain of flaming debris peppered the site. Trees toppled in every direction and fed the fire. The air current carried the ashes and burning fragments along the ground until the grass ignited.

Durasteel shards cut through the air like arrows and pinned the half burned ginx to the ground, belly up, like a lab specimen prepared for dissection.

The smoke and flames parted just enough to reveal that the south-eastern corner of the stronghold had miraculously survived. A shrill scream cut through the roaring flames.

The door flew open and Liatrix padded forward in her night clothes and Loth cat slippers, stopping just inside the doorway.

She crushed the monkey-lizard to her chest and both stared out into the night, wild-eyed and trembling. A shadow rose up behind her—imposing and dark. I recognized it at once—Tulak Hord. She had survived because of him—but there was no altruism hidden in his rotting core. His machinations were his own and he would haunt her until he received his due, that much, I knew.

To my relief, Liatrix gave no indication that she was aware of the demonic presence behind her, urging her forward.

The breeze carried his command, the echo sounding more like a dozen spirits whispering at once.

Run my child!

Horde’s spirit vanished. The ceiling collapsed behind her and she cried out. Liatrix stumbled forward, eyes wet with tears and her face reddened by the heat of the surrounding flames. She scrambled over the smokey debris and coughed.

The monkey-lizard muttered and pointed. Liatrix froze. She stared at the mound of tattered clothing ahead and broke into a clumsy run. “Mama!”

Liatrix threw herself next to her mother’s soot-covered body and shook her shoulder. “Mama…mama!”

When Liaseph didn’t move or answer, Liatrix pushed at the beam crushing her mother into the soil. The massive support wouldn’t budge and she wailed in frustration until her voice broke.

“Mama,” she croaked.

Her lip jutted out in a thick pout and quivered. She dropped the animal and cried out, the sound raspy and raw.

Something in the Force responded to her desperation and the beam fell away just enough to reveal the explosion had rended Liaseph’s body in half at the waist.

Liatrix stared at her mother’s broken body, her eyes as round as coins. She shifted closer to her and sat cross-legged at her side. She reached out and petted her mother’s cheek. Her expression grew vacant and far away and despite my proximity, I could offer no comfort.

She rocked back and forth, her gaze empty. The monkey-lizard crawled into her lap and pawed tentatively at her chest.

Liatrix buried her face into the animal’s scruffy mane and sobbed.

The Twi’lek emerged from the brush and advanced, her blaster aimed at Liatrix. She stood, poised to shoot for what seemed an eternity. Her hands shook and she dropped her arms. Cursing herself, she took aim again. Her finger caressed the pistol’s trigger and her lower lip trembled.

“Karking hell,” she swore under her breath. She mopped the tears from her face and eyed the pistol in her hand. She closed her eyes and put the pistol’s muzzle against her own temple. Her hand shook and she wept. Unable to pull the trigger she reholstered the weapon and sank to her knees.

After she had collected herself, she took up her com and tapped in a frequency. “You gotta help me. I karked it up. Operation Cornerstone is a bust.”

“How?” The male voice at the other end barked.

“The kid…she’s still alive. She survived somehow—the charges must’ve been defective.”

“What about the target?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t see him—Liaseph—er…his mistress is dead, but the girl’s alive,” the Twi’lek rambled.

“Take her out,” the male voice commanded.

“I can’t! Don’t you think I would’ve done it by now if I could? I can’t do it.”

“You have to. That's an order!”

“I can’t! I helped raise her for kark’s sakes.” She threw her hands up and paced. “What if…what if we took her? Raised her as ours?”

“Sh.it. No. Are you insane?”

“I can’t just leave her like this.”

“A’right, a’right. Hold tight…Extraction team is on its way. Let them deal with the kid.”

“How long?”

“ETA—four hours.”

“Four hours? What the hell? Can’t you get anyone any quicker?”

“No…Imperials are on high alert because of Ziost. It’s gonna take a while to get through.”

“I can’t hang around here that long. What about our asset?”

“Worth a shot. See what you can do.”

“Yeah…looks like I’ve got no choice.”

“Aruna?”

“Yah?”

“Get out of there, okay?”

“Yeah…okay.”

“And Aruna?

“Yah?”

“I love you. It’s going to be okay, I promise.”

“Love you too, Torin.”

The Twi’lek swiped at her tears and straightened her clothes. She glanced over at Liatrix one last time and after a moment’s hesitation, she fled toward the city.

The Twi’lek held the answers I sought, and yet I could not tear myself from the site. My duty to the Empire had cost me this moment in life; I was not about to sacrifice it in death, even if all I could do was lament unseen.

Liatrix suffered for hours over her mother’s body. The rain came and the lightning and thunder clashed overhead.

The fires died away under the downpour and she curled into herself soaked and shivering. The monkey-lizard clung to her and whimpered.

Hours later, what remained of the trees thrashed above as a shuttle descended. A pair of agents emerged from the shuttle and fought Liatrix away from her mother’s body. She screamed and bit one of the men on the wrist hard enough to draw blood, while the other was thrown across the site and into a tree.

A third agent rushed down the shuttle’s boarding ramp and aimed at Liatrix. The dart connected with her throat and she dropped. The monkey-lizard chittered and hissed, hackles raised. A second dart dropped the animal.

The men carried Liatrix and her pet aboard the shuttle and collected their injured man.

“Brat bit me,” the first agent hissed soothing his wrist. “What about Aruna?”

“Zane said not to wait—said something about an asset in the city. Don’t worry Aruna is slipperier than a greased bormu.”

“Right—let’s clear out before the locals come calling.”

Alone again, I knelt beside Liaseph’s body and kissed her for the last time. Her hand slipped through mine and fell into the mud.

Liaseph never considered that we might outlive her. My regrets were many—among them, that I hadn’t married her. Despite our problems, it was something I’d meant to do, wanted to do, but like so many others, I had always believed there would be more time.

In life, I had spent this night warring over a distant world. It wasn’t until my death that I realized my folly.

Perhaps Satele Shan was correct—I needed to atone for my absence and for placing duty above family. I protected a thankless Empire but failed those who mattered most.

That was my sin.

Not long after the extraction team left, the rain stopped and another shuttle descended—an Imperial shuttle. I drew away from Liaseph and stood.

Gusts of steam shot up from the hydraulics as the shuttle's ramp descended. A squadron of Imperial troopers disembarked, weapons raised.

After the area was deemed secure, the all clear was given.

The Twi’lek descended the ramp and called back over her shoulder. “She’s over here,” she pointed toward Liaseph’s body.

A cloaked figure strode down the ramp and stalked across the muddy site. The clouds parted enough to allow the moonlight to stream through like a spotlight. The figure turned into the light, his face illuminated like a beaming diety.

Ravage.

He looked down at the body and then back to the Twi’lek.

“And the child? Where’s the child?”

“She—she survived somehow. I don’t know how. Her room was the only part left standing. I’m thinking the charges were defective.”

“I don’t want your excuses. I want answers! Where is the child?”

“Maybe the animals got her.”

“Lies!” He advanced on her and stuck his index finger in her face.” You’d be wise to tell me the truth. What is that old saying, ‘the truth will free you?’”

Aruna winced under some invisible pressure. “What is that? What are you doing to me?”

“Answer the question.”

“She—our extraction team took her. She’s in Republic custody. They’ll deal with her. She’s probably as good as dead already.”

Ravage back-handed the Twi’lek. “Idiot! I expected you to deal with her! Not only did you fail to kill her, you deprived me the pleasure of rectifying your failure.”

The Twi’lek fell to her knees and clutched her jaw. “I’m sorry, my lord.”

Ravage buried his boot in her gut. “Idiot filth! Do you know the little beast had the audacity to attack me? Me? A Sith Lord!” He snorted.

The Twi’lek doubled over and spat up blood. “Yeah—who do you think had to pull all the forks and knives out of the trees after you left. It’s a shame her aim sucked.”

“Silence!” Ravage growled and the Twi’lek choked. She tugged at the unseen hands at her throat and he released his hold on her.

He paced. “I came here to deal with her who.re mother. She betrayed me—twice!”

Aruna’s eyes narrowed into a defiant glare.

“Did you know that?”

“No.”

“What kind of spy are you? You lived with them for years! I think you’re keeping things from me. I protected you. I protected you both—helped you to escape and this is how you repay me?”

“I told you everything.”

“I should have known better than to rely on SIS filth like you. And now, I’m in need of a child’s body…”

“They might think…jungle animals got her.”

“Shut that treacherous sewage hole you call a mouth! I need a body! Pity yours wouldn’t do, but I have other plans for you.” He stooped to pick up her left lekku and twisted it hard.

The Twi’lek gritted her teeth and winced. “If you’re gonna kill me, you may as well know—Marr wasn’t here. He’s still alive.”

“Incompetent and stupid as well. Of course, he wasn’t here!” He kicked her in the gut once more. “He was at the Battle for Ziost.”

“He was supposed to be here. Liaseph told me herself,” she croaked and dabbed at the blood oozing from her lip.

“Yes, he was…until I arranged his early departure.”

“Why—why would you do that? You knew about the op,” she gasped. “The Republic wants him dead as much as you do.”

“Oh, but that’s where you’re mistaken. You assumed too much. I don’t want him dead. I never wanted him dead. I wanted him to suffer,” he spat.

“Why?”

“Because he took everything from me. My apprentices, my son…”

“And Liaseph…she really loved him,” the agent taunted. “And you really loved her.”

“Shut your mouth you vile trash. It wasn’t love,” he spat. “It was a matter of principle.”

“I’ll talk, y’know. I’ll tell them everything you did and why…my lord.”

“Your attempts at goading me into executing you now aren’t without merit…but I can be patient when I need to be.”

“I meant every word. I’ll talk.”

“No…you won’t. Because you won’t remember.”

The Twi’lek’s eyes grew wide and her mouth fell open. “You can’t do that.”

“I can and I will.” He turned to his men. “Go to the slave camps. Find a small girl and burn her, then bring what remains here. Put the carcass next to the wh.ore. I want him to find them together.”

“Yes my lord,” the squadron captain muttered and gestured to a pair of his men to join him.

“It’s a real shame you won’t be able to gloat, my lord. Your vengeance is empty,” Aruna snarled.

“I can gloat aplenty when I watch you confess to their murders before the Dark Council. Just think, the great and respected Marr unwittingly harboring SIS spies in his own home. He will become the laughing stock of the Empire—so you see, there is plenty of enjoyment to be had.”

“I’ll never confess! You can’t make me!”

“Oh…can’t I?” Ravage fixed her in his glare and tightened the hold on her mind. “Watch me.”

Aruna clutched her skull and shuddered, bloody spittle spilling out of her mouth as she screamed.

“Who killed Marr’s wh.ore and bastard?”

“I-I did. I killed them.”

“That’s right and they’ll sense the truth in your words—and I was never here—you don’t know me.”

“You were never here—and I don’t know you.”

Ravage turned to the remaining men. “Take her away—hold her until I decide when she should be captured.”

“Yes, my lord.”

The men collected the gibbering Twi’lek and dragged her into the shuttle by her armpits.

Ravage knelt at Liaseph’s side and coiled a lock of her hair about his finger and allowed it to unravel. “Goodbye, pet.”

He rose and boarded the shuttle without a backward glance. “Have a herald inform the Erinyes and the Citadel of this most terrible tragedy.”

“Yes, my lord.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Perhaps Satele Shan was correct—I needed to atone for my absence and for placing duty above family.

I haven't read your story in which Satele dies (I think it's a Jedi one - in which case I want to finish the class story first), so maybe she's atoned herself already, but that did give me a laugh when I read it this morning. Satele preaching about family - best taken with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, the fork is explained! Gutted about Liaseph (and Trix having to see her like that), but looking forward to the next part :)

As an edited aside, I got really confused when I saw that #Marr was trending on Twitter before I realised they meant Andrew Marr. Me being dumb.

Edited by Myddelion

Oh Ravage Ravage Ravage... *shakes her head* So my first inclination of Ravage helping them escape, working with Zane and miss Twi'lek twit was right? I have no words right now. Well. A lot of bad ones... mostly bad ones. He's such a jerk right? You've made a great villain out of that man.

Despite already knowing the gist of what went on that night, it was rather harrowing to 'relive' it so up close and detailed. I know it's 'wrong' but in a way I feel it's half a blessing that the Jedi ended up taking Liatrix's memories of that night. What she witnessed is... nothing no child ever should. Wonderful depiction of all the events though! Also loved the detail of Hord saving Liatrix's life.

I do find Marr and Satele make for 'odd' companions in the Force Tide but... in a good way. And uh, there's no atoning for the amount of crap you've pulled, okay Satele? Psh. Sorry. :D

Riveting chapter Luna! :)

I didn't know what happened that night, so this chapter was especially heartbreaking to me. And I felt it had to have been utterly horrible for poor Marr to have to witness that whole thing and not be able to do anything about it. I'm not sure anyone deserves a penance like that. But as always it was so extremely well done that it kept me riveted to the very last word:)