Marr

Lunafox

A show of hands, who can no longer see the single word 'Agreed' without hearing Darth Marr?

I'm really moved again by your sense of language. The characters are distinct, Marr in his dialogue and narrative, Liaseph in her rediscovered playfullness, Tersus in his unassuming strictness.

Marrs language is one I'd love do replicate, but obviously I'd come across as something of a pretentious nutter. But through character design and voice acting, he makes it come out completely natural. "And yet, here stands its twin" -- who talks like that? Well, Darth Marr, of course. Beautifull.

Liaseph. It's heartwarming to read her renewed joy, though I sense a lingering insecurity. No wonder. She's been through things that would break many of us, yet she carries on. While Marr is more a mountain than a rock to her, it would be impossible without great inner strength.

Tersus stands out here though, to me at least. You portray the dedicated serviceman we became familiar with in the Agents story expertly. His awareness of his position, his willingness to stand up for his colleagues and operatives; all here. His understated manner simply magnifying his complete confidence in his place of things, and his great strength of character. Remember, folks -- this is the man who politely asked Darth Jadus to leave. Darth Jadus.

Again, beautifull.

Happy days are here again!

First of I love your description for the room and area Liaseph had created for Marr, quite beautiful. I assume Marr's concerned Tulak Hord somehow managed to touch Lia's subconscious, encouraging her to build the room the way she did and tempt Marr onto the altar? That would trouble me as well, but given Marr's birth, Hord's reach does seem to go far. And Liaseph made me smile with her reactions and playfulness, a lighter side to her and it seems for the moment unburdened by everything she's gone through. I did worry for a split second, when they joked about the ginx and not sharing and Marr said he doesn't like to share either which I thought might serve as a painful reminder of her past but luckily it didn't and they got to experience a happy moment together.

I enjoyed the conversation between Marr and Tersus as well and the regret the latter expresses when he realizes what Liaseph means to Marr and had he known, things might have been different for her and the both of them now. It was good to clear the air on that one, at least as a reader I appreciated the exchange because I do have an overly suspicious mind so it was good to read neither Tersus or Damars really had any sort of clue. I also liked how Tersus stood up for Damars, and the way Marr has Damars reassigned.

I really liked the last part as well, discussing the Republic, Jaric Kaedan, Master Zho, Satele and Malgus too that was a very nice touch and nod at whereabouts we are in the time line, as well as recognizing some of the game-lore and characters his future child will deal with and I did sit here telling my screen "Because she's pregnant with Theron!!" because lol. That kinda had me giddy.

Loved the chapter and thought it was really well done, worth the wait for sure and on the upside, I hope, no full week of waiting now, right? It's almost Friday again already. :D Although you have been hindered by not having a new screen until now so likely didn't get much writing in either in which case I'd understand if upcoming Friday is pushed back a little too. I'm just glad you're back and I got to read more. :D

Thanks Jenny! :D You're not wrong lol, it's good to be back to normal again. :D Thank you so much for the lovely comment and observations. I figured it would be good to wrap that bit of backstory with Damars and Tersus up, and allude to what's going on around this time in the time line, as well as to hint about things to come. That's exactly the reaction I hope for from Satele's disappearance :D

I'm really happy that you enjoyed it, this past week and this chapter because of that have had me tearing my hair out in clumps. I'm hoping to have another chapter up on Friday/Early Saturday. I hope I can make that happen. I might have been wiser, just to wait til Friday to post this, so that I'm back in my loop again, but I couldn't wait, and you guys were right there supporting me to get it done! :D Thanks again!

So happy you are back, :D.

The description of the replica tomb is quite detailed from the vaulted ceiling to the sconces and lighting to the alter. Now I wonder if Liaseph's dreams are some sort of effect of the darkness or Tulak himself, which could, or could not be one in the same thing. Marr, likely, has cause for concern here.

Their little moment in the garden was lovely and a happy moment for both of them. I liked that you brought the little ginx back, and like Jenny, I was afraid that Marr's comment about not liking to share would be taken wrong, but thankfully it was not. Both the garden and the tomb showed a more light hearted Liaseph and I am happy that she has this time for a little joy and happiness.

The meeting with Tersus was quite brilliant in the way it introduced so many of the future characters, Master Zho, Kaedan, Malgus, and Satele Shan. Nice way to include her disappearance, like Jenny I was thinking, 'because she is preggers with Theron'.

Now we know how and why Darmas Pollaran ended up on Nar Shaddaa, hah, nicely done. And Tersus being apologetic regarding his early knowledge of Liaseph, but not her importance to Marr. At least that point is cleared up between Marr and Tersus.

Marr instantly assuming that Ravage is lying about information he may have gotten from Zane, it does show that Marr trusts Ravage not a whit where anything is concerned.

Oh, almost forgot the bit about the Tuskan raider slug thrower guns and wonder if this group will show up again in the future. Ah, and what about Liaseph's meeting with Rylester, has it happened yet or will that be in a future chapter? Inquiring minds want to know. :) Ah well, we have Marr's interrogation of Zane coming up, that should be interesting, and hopefully enlightening.

A wonderful read, as always, and, as always, eagerly waiting for the next. Friday is closer this week, but I do understand any delay that might occur since you were held back for the better part of three or four days.

Thanks Misha! :D It's good to be back. ^^

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, this wasn't one of my favorites, mainly because of all the pain in the neck stuff going on around it. I thought I'd never get it posted. I'm glad I was able to wrap up a couple of things, have to keep swimming as they say :D

As for the ghost cell, there might be more mention of them, I have to see, I'm still working out a few things, but I'm inclined to think they'll remain a minor thing in this particular story, but I have them there to draw on in the future, which is something I'm looking at doing. (Not this story).

Liaseph has yet to meet with Rylister, I wouldn't leave that off camera and without mention. Time has gone by, but I'm inclined to think that it's not as easy as all that to get access to Rylister where he is, but that will be coming up. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and I am hoping to post again Friday/early Saturday, cause I would like to get back into my schedule. :D

A show of hands, who can no longer see the single word 'Agreed' without hearing Darth Marr?

I'm really moved again by your sense of language. The characters are distinct, Marr in his dialogue and narrative, Liaseph in her rediscovered playfullness, Tersus in his unassuming strictness.

Marrs language is one I'd love do replicate, but obviously I'd come across as something of a pretentious nutter. But through character design and voice acting, he makes it come out completely natural. "And yet, here stands its twin" -- who talks like that? Well, Darth Marr, of course. Beautifull.

Liaseph. It's heartwarming to read her renewed joy, though I sense a lingering insecurity. No wonder. She's been through things that would break many of us, yet she carries on. While Marr is more a mountain than a rock to her, it would be impossible without great inner strength.

Tersus stands out here though, to me at least. You portray the dedicated serviceman we became familiar with in the Agents story expertly. His awareness of his position, his willingness to stand up for his colleagues and operatives; all here. His understated manner simply magnifying his complete confidence in his place of things, and his great strength of character. Remember, folks -- this is the man who politely asked Darth Jadus to leave. Darth Jadus.

Again, beautifull.

Hey Eiter! :D Thank you! And you're right, I do think of Marr when I see the word 'agreed' in just about anything lol.

I'm really pleased that you find all their voices distinct, I do try very hard to make sure they all sound as they should. Marr's way of speaking can be a challenge at times but I enjoy it (maybe because I'm a pretentious nutter lol). As you say, the game makes a lot of it possible, in that we know how he is, and how he's supposed to sound. It's all just who he is. :D

Liaseph is starting to feel more like her old self, she feels safer now and she's been able to focus on things that make her happy. And Marr is still around. I suspect she won't be quite so cheery when he's deployed again. I think that's why she wants to have a constant and continuing stream of things to focus on. I think on some level she worries about being idle.

I am SO happy that you're enjoying Tersus and see the man that he is and who he will become more fully in time. I'm a big fan of Keeper, so it's important to me that he comes off properly. He is, I think one of the stronger characters in the game story, especially for not being a force user. Like you I was always awed by him, that he had the nerve to say what he did to Jadus of all people. That takes nerve. :D

Thanks again for reading and commenting, all of you! It's much appreciated. <3

Edited by Lunafox

"A show of hands, who can no longer see the single word 'Agreed' without hearing Darth Marr?"

No kidding! Although I've been that way for awhile!

Luna, Marr is without questions my second favorite character in the entire Star Wars Universe (second only to Vader). My main character in the game itself is a close a representation of Marr as I can possibly get. I've wanted a stand alone story of him like they've done for some of the other characters (Palpatine, Palageus, and Bane to name a few) for some time now. You have provided it here, and have far exceeded any expectation I could have had. I look forward to reading these every time you write a new chapter, and am honestly dreading the day when the story inevitably ends! Thanks for taking on the story of one of the most underrated Sith Lords of all time (IMHO of course), and making it absolutely riveting. Keep them coming!!

"A show of hands, who can no longer see the single word 'Agreed' without hearing Darth Marr?"

No kidding! Although I've been that way for awhile!

Luna, Marr is without questions my second favorite character in the entire Star Wars Universe (second only to Vader). My main character in the game itself is a close a representation of Marr as I can possibly get. I've wanted a stand alone story of him like they've done for some of the other characters (Palpatine, Palageus, and Bane to name a few) for some time now. You have provided it here, and have far exceeded any expectation I could have had. I look forward to reading these every time you write a new chapter, and am honestly dreading the day when the story inevitably ends! Thanks for taking on the story of one of the most underrated Sith Lords of all time (IMHO of course), and making it absolutely riveting. Keep them coming!!

Hi! :) Thank you so much for your kind comment! It means a lot to hear that from a fellow Marr fan. He's my favorite Sith in the Old Republic, and like you I admire Darth Vader in the newer era. I think a stand alone story for Marr would be amazing. I had thought about doing this for a while, but the events of KotFE were such that I had to do the story. I really adore Marr.

I'm very pleased and happy that you're enjoying the story, and not to worry, it won't end for a while yet. It's turning into a rather larger project than I anticipated, but I don't mind in the least. He's worth it. Thank you again for reading and commenting, it means a lot to hear. :)

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Seven~

Trust in the Force, not your eyes.

“My lord,” Tersus bowed and fell in step with me as we continued down the rear corridor to maximum security cell block B-8. A trio of maintenance droids trundled by and another unit hovered by a control panel, sparks leaping from its welding attachment.

“Routine maintenance?”

“I would think so, my lord. The systems here are regularly upgraded and codes are rotated hourly, or so I’m told.”

We turned the corner and passed a line of cells, each filled with sleeping inmates. The odor of sweat, urine and a vaguely familiar combination of chemicals lingered despite the air exchange system thundering above. The vent lay askew and a repair droid rose upward to repair it.

Tersus tapped his clearance code into the keypad and stood aside to allow me to do the same.

“I trust the prisoner has been delivered to the interrogation chamber?”

“Yes, my lord. Keeper agreed that making you wait would be a waste of your time.”

“Good.”

The doors to the chamber parted. Torin Zane’s barely conscious body lay secured to the interrogation table by his ankles, thighs, chest and wrists. The heavy electrified shackles cut into his flesh. A half-dried trail of blood droplets dotted the floor and rust coloured blood smears marked the edge of the table.

The agent’s matted greasy hair split across his forehead and dark crescents swelled under his eyes. Several days worth of stubble darkened his jaw. Though his dossier indicated he was only twenty-five years of age, he could’ve easily passed for a decade more.

I circled the table and folded my arms. “So this is the SIS filth that failed to kill me.”

Tersus said nothing, but clasped his hands behind his back and stood at ease at the side of the chamber, giving me room to work.

“You’re going to come to wish you hadn’t failed, agent.” I poured a ball of lightning from one palm to the other. As the energy gathered and grew in my hands, the man shuddered and regained his awareness.

“Mhmhmmmgrgh,” he groaned as if he’d been gagged. His eyes grew wide and he struggled against his bonds. Panic and fear hammered in his chest.

Torrents of electricity shuddered through the stun cuffs as he fought his bonds until the stench of burning flesh permeated the room. Jags of lightning lanced over his arms and legs. Zane roared, the sound blunted and raw.

I threw the volley of lightning, the burst powerful enough to lift his torso from the table. A pale blue holo-matrix flickered over his body, the grid fluctuating between the energy powering it and the image it was programmed to project.

The body slumped back onto the table and Tersus and I exchanged looks. He frowned and moved closer to the table, his eyes sharp and narrowed. “My lord, something isn’t right. I thought I saw—did you see it too?”

“Yes. We’ve been deceived. This—this is not the SIS agent.” My gaze shifted between the man on the table and the blood trail dotting the floor.

Tersus bolted across the chamber to the holocom. “This is Tersus, authorization, N4-CR. I am ordering a lockdown of maximum security. Deploy all security droids and troops. Prisoner TZ-001 is at large. We need him alive. Shoot to stun only. I repeat, shoot to stun only.”

The holo-matrix fluctuated and malfunctioned with a flash to reveal the identity of the man on the table.

“Keeper,” I hissed.

Tersus plucked the device hooked into the man’s belt and scowled. “He’s been equipped with a hard-light holoprojector. Zane must have overpowered him…but how? Surely he couldn’t have managed this alone? He must’ve had help.”

“Zane and his accomplice could be off world by now.”

“He would’ve been thoroughly searched when he was processed. The accomplice must have smuggled the device into detention. Maybe he can tell us.” Tersus filled a syringe with an adrenal and jabbed Keeper’s arm.

The trail of blood droplets led to the biological waste disposal bin and I reached inside. I held up a lump of slimy pink tissue. “He won’t be telling us anything,” I snarled and pitched the severed tongue back into the bin.

“Bastard cut his tongue out…why?” Tersus hissed. “Why not just kill him?”

“That would be too simple. He’s mocking us. This is a game to him. It’s not as if it will keep us from ringing the truth from him.”

Keeper shrieked and mumbled, blood tinged saliva dribbling from the corners of his lips.

“Sir, you must remain still. I’ll administer something for the pain. Don’t be alarmed,” Tersus muttered and injected his superior with Nullicaine. “He needs a medic.”

“Then summon a med team—see what can be done.”

“At once, my lord.”

The halls beyond the chamber echoed with the stomping footfalls of troopers executing their searches and the clang of metal feet indicated the droids had begun their patrol. The medical team arrived and worked in haste to connect the portable kolto tank and monitors.

The holocom chimed and the holo image of the warden rose up from the device.

“Marr here, go ahead.”

“My lord, we’ve just received an alert from the spaceport perimeter patrols. A pair of individuals on speeders have been spotted en route to the spaceport, at the following co-ordinates.”

“Inform spaceport security to intercept them. I want them taken alive. I’m on my way.”

“As good as done, my lord.” The warden’s image flickered and vanished.

Tersus abandoned the surgical team and approached me. “My lord—allow me to go in your stead. This could be a trap.”

“There’s no time to debate this. Tersus, you’re with me—requisition the speeders, have them brought to the side entrance.”

“Yes my lord.”

We mounted the Praxon Xenos the transportation officers had prepared and sped through Kaas City until we reached the surrounding jungle. Lightning cracked the sky above us and deafening crashes of thunder followed in its wake.

Palm fronds whipped us as we tore through the vegetation. Herds of Yozusk screeched and snorted at our transient presence. The bull male gave chase for a short distance before falling back out of my rear view. A vinecat pounced through the thick grasses and bawled its frustration at our velocity.

The rain thickened into fat ropes as we approached the spaceport. Troopers stood on alert and armored assassin droids paced before the entrance.

We dismounted almost in unison and sprinted toward the spaceport entry. I drew my lightsaber and my hand flexed, itching to ignite it.

The twang of blaster fire ricocheted off the durasteel walls inside and the troops outside bounded into the spaceport.

“I have a bad feeling about this, my lord.”

Not three meters from the ramp adjacent to the taxi stand, a deafening rumble was followed by plumes of flame and smoke. A rain of droid and human limbs came down as we were thrown back several meters. Debris cut through the air like a volley of daggers. I threw myself over Tersus’s prone form and remained there until the torrents of detritus stopped falling.

Flaming leaves and ash fluttered around us. I turned the agent over. “Tersus—are you injured?”

He groaned and shook his head. “No…I’m fine. And you, my lord?”

“I’m unharmed.” I pushed myself to my feet and offered him my arm.

He clasped my forearm and I pulled him to his feet. As soon as he was up, I bounded inside the burning spaceport.

Bodies littered the concourse and thick black smoke ebonized the interior.

The roar of thrusters shook what remained of the spaceport and a D-5 Mantis rose up and shot off into the sky.

Tersus hobbled in and coughed. “My lord…your com…if I may? I seem to have misplaced mine.”

I passed him the device. “This is Tersus,” he managed between gasping breaths. “ I want that ship tracked and intercepted—the D-5 Mantis. Do not allow it to leave Imperial space and dispatch an emergency service team to the spaceport. There was an explosion…we need assistance with survivors. Tersus out.” He passed the com back to me and stooped to rest his hands on his knees. He winced but made every effort to mask his discomfort.

Between us, we recovered two dozen survivors and laid them out where the taxi stand had been.

The rescue teams arrived and fell into their duties.

I drew a deep breath and eyed Tersus. “I believe you were mistaken—you’re clearly injured.” I nodded toward his shriveled posture.

“I believe you may be right, my lord. I think I might have cracked a rib or two.” He held his side and despite his best efforts couldn’t straighten his posture.

“Have a medic see to it at once and after they’ve cleared you for duty, meet me in my office.”

“Yes, my lord.”

I turned away to leave when he caught my elbow. “My lord—before I forget—I want to thank you for your protection.”

“Think nothing of it.” I mounted the speeder and sped off toward the citadel.

((to be continued…))

A/N:

Well, I managed to get it posted almost on time. I think this puts me back on track for Friday night/early Sat morning postings again. It's a bit on the short side, but I like being on schedule. Hope you guys enjoy it. ^^

Edited by Lunafox

I enjoyed it quite a bit. :) The opening sequence managed to distract me, though, but that's entirely on me. I haven't slept well, and it reminded me, in a sort of reverse way, of a book and movie I used to enjoy ("It's Jim Pembry, now talk to him, da.mnit!"), so I opened a tab with youtube to indulge in some nostalgia. You get the drift.

And now I'm rambling. Great to see a posting this quick, however short, it was a good read, and now I'm going to have a nap. :)

So that nasty little man has managed to escape? Well of course he did but damnit. I hope to be wrong but given those who've previously had access to him and who might have a grudge against Marr I feel suspicious of Ravage but then again he also did arrest Zane as was expected of him so... but Zane could have made an appealing offer. Sorry, my mind's rambling because it gets suspicious of everything and I would love to know just how exactly Zane got away and who helped, besides the man without his tongue which, gross, nice imagery lol.

Those were quite the visuals, first in the interrogation room and then at the space port, very well written as always.

I absolutely LOVED the way Marr threw himself over Tersus and protected him from the raining debris. Obviously Tersus is of great value to him and the two work well together but still, I thought that was a wonderful thing for him to do. He's still Sith and far from the cuddly kind, many would have picked Tersus up and used him as a shield instead but not Marr. I adored that.

Thank you for posting, I enjoyed the chapter tremendously and didn't mind it being a little shorter. I'm happy. ^^

I like the setup with the false prisoner. Something felt not right, when he was horrified by that bit of lightning. That seemed strange after what Zane already must have endured. Well played!

And my favorite, too, was Marr protecting the agent. Tersus was right and wrong. There was a trap, but it wasn't Marr who needed protection :D

Of course I want to know who is the traitor. Who does the Mantis belong to? That's a fast ship. Looking forward to find out if they are going to catch it.

Long or short, I am forever pleased to see an addition to the story. Wonderful visuals of the prison, from the mundane maintenance, the smells, and the atmosphere to the prisoner and his condition.

The cut out tongue was a nasty business but a brilliant play so that the 'fake' prisoner could not speak while the real Zane made his getaway. He could only scream, which was expected anyway.

So, a fly in the ointment, huh? But who? I do love a mystery. Ravage? I don't think so, but Marr did suspect him of lying after Ravage's interrogation of Zane. Vowrawn, I never put anything past him, but I see no advantage for him to do this. Some mole inside Imperial Intelligence? Maybe. The list could go on for days.

Marr's protecting of Tersus was just something Marr would do. I do not see it as a noble gesture, but simply another side of Marr's pragmatism. Tersus has worth, Marr trusts him as much as he can trust anyone and he would not lose such a valuable asset. But still, glad that Tersus is still among the living, I do like his character.

And so we wait. More questions seeking answers. Nicely done.

:D

I enjoyed it quite a bit. :) The opening sequence managed to distract me, though, but that's entirely on me. I haven't slept well, and it reminded me, in a sort of reverse way, of a book and movie I used to enjoy ("It's Jim Pembry, now talk to him, da.mnit!"), so I opened a tab with youtube to indulge in some nostalgia. You get the drift.

And now I'm rambling. Great to see a posting this quick, however short, it was a good read, and now I'm going to have a nap. :)

Well thank you :) I'm glad it brought you enjoyment now matter how you got it lol. Enjoy your nap and happy dreams. ^^

So that nasty little man has managed to escape? Well of course he did but damnit. I hope to be wrong but given those who've previously had access to him and who might have a grudge against Marr I feel suspicious of Ravage but then again he also did arrest Zane as was expected of him so... but Zane could have made an appealing offer. Sorry, my mind's rambling because it gets suspicious of everything and I would love to know just how exactly Zane got away and who helped, besides the man without his tongue which, gross, nice imagery lol.

Those were quite the visuals, first in the interrogation room and then at the space port, very well written as always.

I absolutely LOVED the way Marr threw himself over Tersus and protected him from the raining debris. Obviously Tersus is of great value to him and the two work well together but still, I thought that was a wonderful thing for him to do. He's still Sith and far from the cuddly kind, many would have picked Tersus up and used him as a shield instead but not Marr. I adored that.

Thank you for posting, I enjoyed the chapter tremendously and didn't mind it being a little shorter. I'm happy. ^^

Well, we knew he had to eventually and he took a pretty bad beating while he was there, so if he stayed much longer he'd be dead. I'm pretty sure Marr would've killed him after he was done with him. I like suspicious minds, you can never be too suspicious lol. ;D So glad you enjoyed the visuals, even the gross ones.

I could totally see Marr doing that, he's covered head to toe in heavy armor, Tersus is just in uniform fabric--he would have gotten hurt much worse if Marr hadn't protected him. Tersus is valued, for many reasons, so it's in Marr's interest to watch out for him. :)

I like the setup with the false prisoner. Something felt not right, when he was horrified by that bit of lightning. That seemed strange after what Zane already must have endured. Well played!

And my favorite, too, was Marr protecting the agent. Tersus was right and wrong. There was a trap, but it wasn't Marr who needed protection :D

Of course I want to know who is the traitor. Who does the Mantis belong to? That's a fast ship. Looking forward to find out if they are going to catch it.

Thanks :D I had thought about going the other way with it, faking them out to think it was Keeper, set him free and it's really Zane, but I figured Marr would pick up on that, so this way is better...and we get a bit of added mystery :) Zane endured quite a lot as you say, it's something that he'll hold a grudge over for the rest of his life. As for the rest, all in good time. ;D

Long or short, I am forever pleased to see an addition to the story. Wonderful visuals of the prison, from the mundane maintenance, the smells, and the atmosphere to the prisoner and his condition.

The cut out tongue was a nasty business but a brilliant play so that the 'fake' prisoner could not speak while the real Zane made his getaway. He could only scream, which was expected anyway.

So, a fly in the ointment, huh? But who? I do love a mystery. Ravage? I don't think so, but Marr did suspect him of lying after Ravage's interrogation of Zane. Vowrawn, I never put anything past him, but I see no advantage for him to do this. Some mole inside Imperial Intelligence? Maybe. The list could go on for days.

Marr's protecting of Tersus was just something Marr would do. I do not see it as a noble gesture, but simply another side of Marr's pragmatism. Tersus has worth, Marr trusts him as much as he can trust anyone and he would not lose such a valuable asset. But still, glad that Tersus is still among the living, I do like his character.

And so we wait. More questions seeking answers. Nicely done.

:D

Thanks, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. ^^ There are a few suspects out there, I'm glad there is that bit of added mystery to it.

You're definitely right about Marr, he is extremely pragmatic and Tersus is a valuable person to him, trust isn't easy to come by, nor is competence. He is definitely a valued asset, and probably as close a friend as Marr could want...if he actually did the whole friendship thing. :)

Thanks again for reading and commenting everyone. Much appreciated. ^^

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Eight~

Ban gon wan she co, cah.

Tersus appeared in the doorway of my office. “My lord—reporting as requested.”

I motioned him inside and indicated the chair across from me. “What have you learned?”

“A great deal, my lord. We’ve captured the D-5 Mantis between Imperial and Hutt space.”

“And?”

“The ship belonged to a Captain Collo Vex—”

I frowned. My memories surrounding the name seemed to be wrapped in cobwebs and the information I needed lingered on the border between reality and the ethereal. “The name is familiar.”

“Yes, my lord—if you’ll recall the audio recording I pulled from the torture droid prior to your departure last year—Lord Vowrawn and this captain spoke briefly, during Rylister’s interrogation.”

“I remember.”

“He was one of the more successful bounty hunters in the Empire’s stable—he’s assisted with the capture and elimination of several minor nuisances over the years.”

“You’ve referred to him in the past tense twice now. Is he dead?”

“Regrettably, yes, my lord. Executed, I would presume, given the close range blaster burns to his face.”

“What of Zane?”

“He and his accomplice appear to have escaped.”

I slammed my fist against the surface of my desk. “How did this happen?”

“They left little in the way of audio or visual evidence. As near as my people can determine from the captain’s logs, my lord, it would seem Vex was hired as a smuggler and getaway pilot.”

“Go on.”

“His instructions were to await the arrival of a pair of maintenance droids at our spaceport to be transferred to the Jabiim system where he would receive payment. I’m inclined to think he wasn’t aware of what or rather whom he was transporting until it was too late.”

“You have a theory.”

“Yes, my lord. I believe Zane’s accomplice was none other than his wife. I doubt she left Dromund Kaas as we were led to believe. If I were to speculate, I think she was the one to have breached maximum security with three of the holo disguises. It makes perfect sense—one to disguise Keeper, and the others to disguise themselves. Maintenance droids are easily overlooked.”

“So you believe, they escaped as droids…made their way to the spaceport and escaped on Vex’s ship.”

“Exactly, my lord. As for the explosion, that could have been accomplished at any time, but I’m inclined to believe Aruna Zane sabotaged the spaceport, prior to helping her husband escape.”

“And you believe that once they reached the rendezvous point, they killed the captain.”

“That appears to be what has happened. No doubt, being seasoned agents, the loose end concerned them, especially given his ties to the Empire. Residual energy signatures suggest a Republic vessel intercepted and collected the agents, before escaping into Hutt space—Vex’s ship was left adrift.”

“What is Keeper’s condition? Has he been debriefed?”

“He was unable to provide much insight given his current condition. The vocal cybernetics need time to fuse with the surrounding tissue. It will be several weeks before he’s able to speak intelligibly again.”

We sat in silence for several moments. Tersus's gaze grew distant and steely.

“You wish to say something further, Tersus?”

“I hesitate…given the nature of my what I’m about to say—I don’t wish to appear—disrespectful. That’s not my intention.”

“Consider this a standing order—speak freely. I believe we’ve known each other long enough to know that our respect is mutual and implicit.”

“Thank you, my lord. I would never presume to take that privilege for granted. Perhaps it is time Lord Vowrawn be questioned given his familiarity with the Captain. It appeared that they were quite well acquainted.”

“Do you believe he’s in league with the SIS? That he abetted their escape?”

Tersus thought for a long time and then shook his head. “No. I’m no stranger to Sith infighting and politics, but in this case, my instinct says not—but perhaps we might glean something more from him—something that might aid us in capturing the fugitives.”

The memories bound by the cobwebs in my mind stirred, like a pupa seeking to escape its cocoon and take wing.

“It’s not Vowrawn. It was never Vowrawn—he’s been actively seeking those responsible for the former Minister’s death, and to root out the moles undermining Intelligence and the Empire.”

“Why do you believe it matters to him so much, my lord?”

“Because it levels his playing field. In order to play his game, he needs to be able to look down on all his pieces. You can’t move a pawn if you don’t know what it can accomplish.” I pushed away from my desk and stood. “But there is another—and it’s time I confronted him, once and for all. This is no coincidence. Ravage captured Zane and now the agent escapes with the assistance of his bounty hunter? And now that very hunter is dead? Perhaps Vex knew too much.”

“Perhaps. My agent did uncover several transactions between Ravage and the hunter—and given that the Jedi is now his apprentice, clearly their partnership bore fruit—but if you confront Ravage now, we lose any advantage of secrecy. If he believes himself above suspicion he may grow careless.”

“There may be another way—I have unfinished business with Rylister. If I can persuade him to co-operate, perhaps all is not lost.”

“And if he doesn’t?”

“He will. I plan on making him an offer he won’t be able to resist. Continue monitoring the situation and keep me apprised. Dismissed.”

“Of course, my lord.” Tersus bowed and left my office, leaving me alone with my planning.

I stood over the holo console and tapped in the frequency. “Lieutenant Kayle, prepare my shuttle and inform my pilot to meet me at these coordinates in precisely one hour.”

“Understood, my lord.”

Three-quarters of an hour later, I found Liaseph re-packing a snow sphere into an elaborately carved kriin-wood chest. Her brows puckered and her mouth was tight. She slammed the lid down and backed away from the box as if it would bite.

My eyes narrowed at the sight of the chest—the same spider silk that obscured my memory of my visions bound my memory of the globe and its matching chest. The familiarity of the items set me on edge and then I remembered why—they were gifts from Ravage that I remembered from my vision.

“You’re upset,” I muttered as I came up behind her.

“It’s nothing. Nothing I can’t deal with. Just a mistake.”

“Then return it—or if it pleases you, keep it, but know that it will always remind you that it was a mistake.”

“I’m sending it back, I don’t want it.” She turned her back to the wooden box and set her hands on my chest. “You’re home early. Is everything all right?”

“I have business on Korriban. You wanted to speak to the Jedi, this is your chance.”

“You know I want more than just to speak with him. I want him freed. He doesn’t belong there.”

“That would be why you’re going to present him with a choice.”

Me? What choice? I don’t understand,” she shook her head, brows furrowed with concern.

“We’ll discuss it on the way. The shuttle is due to arrive in minutes.”

“I’ll go change,” she patted my chest and ran off.

The shuttle’s wings folded into a tall triangle as it set down amid dusty clouds of rust-colored sand on Korriban. We strode down the extended ramp to the hot sand and Liaseph paused to take in the rosy sky and the bowing monoliths against the horizon.

She squinted against the light and drew her hood forward to shield her eyes. “It’s beautiful. I would never have imagined such a place to exist.”

“I believe you may be the first to describe it so generously, but do no let the light and heat fool you. It is a world defined by the dark side and by death.

I stood at her side and reveled in the darkness, the vibrations stirring my blood. The wind carried the whispers of those long dead and Liaseph shuddered. “What was that?”

“Pay it no mind. Come.” I extended my hand to her and led her toward the stairs descending into the tomb of Ajunta Pall. “Do not allow your senses to deceive you. So long as you stay with me, no harm will find you.”

“And this is where Master Rylister has been all this time? In a tomb?”

“Yes,” I said simply opting not to elaborate further.

The bowels of the tomb were surprisingly bright and cool. Voices carried from the chambers ahead, but these were the voices of the living, not the dead.

A man cloaked in tattered dusty robes emerged from the tomb and Liaseph hesitated. “He won’t harm you,” I murmured.

“My lord,” The man bowed deeply. “Welcome to my humble abode. You honor us. And who do you bring with you?” He took a step forward and eyed Liaseph with curious amber eyes.

“Lady Liaseph, this is the man I told you about, the sage, Lord Spindrall.”

“Lord Marr spoke highly of you, it’s an honor to make your acquaintance.” She curtsied and favored him with a genial smile.

Spindrall didn’t return the smile but bowed curtly. “The pleasure, is mine, lady. Now, how may I serve you, my lord?”

“The one formerly known as Rylister, the lady wishes to speak to him. I trust he is still profiting from your guidance?”

“Miraluka are difficult students, and he is a particularly adversarial charge. You will find him through there, he answers to Abraden now.”

“May I?” Liaseph glanced between us.

I nodded. “I will remain here with Lord Spindrall.”

“If you’ll accompany me, my Lord,” Spindrall indicated I join him, with an upturned palm.

He led me to an antechamber and indicated the rusted grate near the ceiling. His lips curled up at the corners and his somber yellow eyes glowed meaningfully as we listened.

“Master Rylister!” Liaseph exclaimed.

“Liaseph? What are you doing here? Is Ravage here too?”

“No, he’s not here. I’ve been so worried about you. Are you all right? Have they been treating you well?”

Rylister laughed ruefully. “Still such a child. Look at me, Liaseph. Do I look all right to you? Do I?”

A moment of silence gave way to a soft gasp. “Wings of the Thranta…those scars on your back…Did they whip you? And these…burns? They’re from the sabers?”

“Still over stating the obvious. I see some things never change.”

“Maybe not, but you have and not for the better.”

“Did you think I’d turn into some paragon of virtue in this hell hole?”

“Please don’t be like that. I never wanted this for you. Do you think it’s been easy for me?”

“Let me think about that—life as a pampered pet or being stuck here?”

The sound of flesh slapping flesh echoed through the grate. “How dare you. At least you weren’t being defiled on a daily basis. You should be ashamed of yourself. I’m sorry I even came.”

“So why did you? And how did you get to be here, I doubt Ravage would unleash you.”

“I came because I wanted to set you free.”

“You expect me to believe you have that power?”

“Well, not me exactly, but I know someone who does.”

“Like who?” Rylister barked.

Spindrall’s eyes flashed and he shot me a challenging look. I nodded and continued to listen.

“Darth Marr.”

Rylister snorted. “I should’ve known. So he finally found you did he?”

“We found each other, yes, and I’m free now.”

“You don’t actually believe he’s helping me out of love for you, do you? Please tell me you’re not that naïve.”

“You’re making it very difficult. I have a good mind to turn around and walk out of here.”

“What does he want, Liaseph? He’d leave me here to rot if he didn’t want something.”

“Well, he needs a favor. The deal is that he will free you and you can return home to the temple, but he wants you to deliver the Zanes to him. They’ve murdered people on our world. They tried to murder him. He wants justice.”

“Justice?” Rylister laughed bitterly. “And what about justice for all the men, women and children he’s butchered across the galaxy? Where’s their justice? He’s destroyed entire worlds to steal resources and he has the gall to demand justice? It’s not justice Lia. It’s called vengeance. They tried to kill him, and now he wants to return the favor.”

“What does it matter, so long as it gets you home?”

“Did you even hear anything I said about him? He’s destroyed planets and fleets just to fuel their war effort.”

“I heard you and I don’t care. What matters is getting you out of here. All you have to do is get them to meet you. He’ll do the rest.”

“I would rather die than betray them. They’re my friends.”

I’m your friend. If they cared about you, they'd be the ones trying to save you. Please. I want to help you get away from here. You don’t belong here.”

“No. I won’t do it. Here’s something for you to think about Lia. If I gave them to him, would you leave him to be with me?”

“No! I love him.”

“There was a time I thought, there was a spark between us—that we could be something more than we were.”

“I had a crush on you, that’s true, but you knew for years what my father wanted to do and you did nothing.”

“I would have made it possible to preserve your family. We could have had everything.”

“Oh, I see how it is. You expected me to marry Malon, stay in the family but be with you, while you’re still with the Order? I couldn’t do that any more than I could leave Ares to be with you.”

“Now maybe you understand the position you’re putting me in. I can’t betray my friends. I won’t. They’re good people, they do good work.”

“They’re spies and spies are the worst. You can’t trust a spy. They’re professional liars.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I do so. Ry, please. Give him the Zanes and go home to the Temple. You’ll be safe.”

“I’m sorry Lia. I’m going to stay here and become Sith. My friends will be safe and maybe, one day if you come to your senses, we can finally be together.”

“No. If you won’t help us—this is good-bye.”

“Can I at least hold you one last time?”

“No. Good-bye, Abraden.”

“I’m sure Ravage will find this interesting,” he called after her.

“I can’t believe I ever cared about you!” Liaseph sobbed and her footfalls indicated she was leaving the chamber.

Spindrall’s gaze fixed on me and we moved away from the grate.

“That was a damning admission. What do you intend for me to do now, my lord?”

“Set him free.”

“How am I supposed to take that, my lord?”

“I believe you know.”

Spindrall nodded. “I understand. But what of Lord Ravage? What do I tell him?”

“Tell him—his apprentice failed.”

Spindrall offered his hand and I accepted it. “The dead are Korriban’s gravity. I will see your will done, my lord.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Wonderful bit with the Huttese header line. Brilliant and really does fit so well with the rest of the story.

I do love Tersus, you can practically see his mind working and it is to Marr's benefit that he allows Tersus such latitude with being able to say whatever is on his mind. Even if not friends, Marr can count on him to deliver information prudent to whatever Marr requires to further his goals.

Always plans within plans, I love it. Perhaps Rylister would open up to Lia, but if not, there is always a contingency. And a double meaning when Marr says to Spindrall, "Tell him his apprentice.......failed." Ha, let Ravage sit on that and spin.

Truly great work with the get away, it all makes such sense the way it was laid out. A truly enticing chapter.

:)

I agree with Misha, and want to add, I liked Rylister's change, quite the contrast to his former self, then again, maybe the new life is just bringing out some hidden sides of him that have always been there.

I feel sorry for Lia that she had to talk to him like this, and I may be a bit angry at Marr that he used her like this.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

I'm leaning more towards Marr's theory Ravage might be involved over Tersus' of Vowrawn but then again, at the rate some of these things go it may be both of them or of course neither of them at all but then who? Ravage could stand to gain from Marr's demise and would put such selfish pursuits before the Empire but Vowrawn despite his plotting wouldn't go that far I believe. Marr might have put a scare in him when he discovered Liaseph working as a slave but I can't picture Vowrawn doing such a thing as freeing Zane to get back at Marr for that, he's too smart. Guess time will tell huh? :p

I assume Ravage sent Lia the snow globe he got her for Life Day? That actually made me a little gooey. I mean yeah, it's a dirty trick and she doesn't deserve to be haunted by their time spent together but I dunno, I kinda see it as him trying to hold on to the tiniest of places within her heart somehow. Or he's just trying to torture her mentally now that he can't hurt her physically in which case he's just an as.s.

It was a little cruel of Marr to use Liaseph's desire to see Rylister again as a way of trying to gain information from the man but clever as well and I do believe she's mostly aware of what he's doing. And Rylister... he's, changed and not in a nice way. I can understand how and why but still, he was rather cruel towards Lia and her fate. His predicament is hardly her fault and it would appear he's become more blunt regarding his own desires as well but I suppose that's what being in the position he's in does to a person. I also can't help but feel Lia's thoughts landed on Damars for a moment when she spoke of how untrustworthy spies are.

Lol, "I'm sure Ravage will find this interesting"... don't think that's the best use of your last words Rylister. :rolleyes:

Fun chapter, I look forward to the next.

Wonderful bit with the Huttese header line. Brilliant and really does fit so well with the rest of the story.

I do love Tersus, you can practically see his mind working and it is to Marr's benefit that he allows Tersus such latitude with being able to say whatever is on his mind. Even if not friends, Marr can count on him to deliver information prudent to whatever Marr requires to further his goals.

Always plans within plans, I love it. Perhaps Rylister would open up to Lia, but if not, there is always a contingency. And a double meaning when Marr says to Spindrall, "Tell him his apprentice.......failed." Ha, let Ravage sit on that and spin.

Truly great work with the get away, it all makes such sense the way it was laid out. A truly enticing chapter.

:)

Thanks Misha! Glad you enjoyed it. The header was a bit of fun I thought I'd have, I had considered putting in a translation for it but figured it worked better as a bit of a mystery. That's what google is for, if it doesn't ring a bell from the movies lol. :)

Tersus and Marr as a team are quite formidable and I do enjoy having them get together to compare notes. All the scheming lol, it sometimes hurts the head, but if it helps to make it more special, it's worth it. Rylister...*sigh* I feel sorry for him at times, but at others, he also brings a lot on himself. I'm amazed he's lasted this long, I had honestly considered killing him ages ago on Alderaan lol.

The getaway, did take some brain power to work out, but I think it fits and it's very 'agent-y' Thanks again for reading and commenting! :)

I agree with Misha, and want to add, I liked Rylister's change, quite the contrast to his former self, then again, maybe the new life is just bringing out some hidden sides of him that have always been there.

I feel sorry for Lia that she had to talk to him like this, and I may be a bit angry at Marr that he used her like this.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Frauzet! :D I'm happy that the change in his personality came through. He's still stubborn enough and struggling to retain his 'jedi self' in terms of valuing and being loyal to his friends, but he's breaking down and becoming much more base and blunt. As you say, his emotions have always been a bit too close to the surface for a Jedi, so it's leaking through. I'm a bit mad at Marr too, despite his preparations and telling her what to expect and such, this will hurt her and will affect her for a long time. Thanks for reading and for the insight! :)

I'm leaning more towards Marr's theory Ravage might be involved over Tersus' of Vowrawn but then again, at the rate some of these things go it may be both of them or of course neither of them at all but then who? Ravage could stand to gain from Marr's demise and would put such selfish pursuits before the Empire but Vowrawn despite his plotting wouldn't go that far I believe. Marr might have put a scare in him when he discovered Liaseph working as a slave but I can't picture Vowrawn doing such a thing as freeing Zane to get back at Marr for that, he's too smart. Guess time will tell huh? :p

I assume Ravage sent Lia the snow globe he got her for Life Day? That actually made me a little gooey. I mean yeah, it's a dirty trick and she doesn't deserve to be haunted by their time spent together but I dunno, I kinda see it as him trying to hold on to the tiniest of places within her heart somehow. Or he's just trying to torture her mentally now that he can't hurt her physically in which case he's just an as.s.

It was a little cruel of Marr to use Liaseph's desire to see Rylister again as a way of trying to gain information from the man but clever as well and I do believe she's mostly aware of what he's doing. And Rylister... he's, changed and not in a nice way. I can understand how and why but still, he was rather cruel towards Lia and her fate. His predicament is hardly her fault and it would appear he's become more blunt regarding his own desires as well but I suppose that's what being in the position he's in does to a person. I also can't help but feel Lia's thoughts landed on Damars for a moment when she spoke of how untrustworthy spies are.

Lol, "I'm sure Ravage will find this interesting"... don't think that's the best use of your last words Rylister. :rolleyes:

Fun chapter, I look forward to the next.

Well, some things are a mystery, even if a lot of it is 'carved in stone.' :D And yes! You were the only one this week to make mention of the snow globe part. That was Ravage sending it to her, and his motivations, well, I'll leave them open to interpretation. The man is complicated and you're quite right in that it could be either or both of those things. Is it a bit weird that he wants to be remembered by her, but wants to torture her or upset her by it as well? :p

Rylister has had a hard time on Korriban, and he's lost a lot of himself. As I said before, he struggles to retain the important parts of himself, but he's losing. If he had enough time there, he would drink the kool aid and be a full Sith.

He has become more blunt, in that he openly says what he wanted and hoped for. As a Jedi, he would never have voiced that, or even admitted to anyone, maybe not even himself really.

And yes! She was thinking of Damars when she said that about the spies. He really upset her and she's come to hate all spies. Had she lived, it would have been interesting to see her reaction to Theron. I suspect she wouldn't like him much at all. Anyways, glad you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for reading and for the comment! :D

Edited by Lunafox

The man is complicated and you're quite right in that it could be either or both of those things. Is it a bit weird that he wants to be remembered by her, but wants to torture her or upset her by it as well? :p

I actually see it as perfectly understandable on a psychological level. By tormenting her in this fashion, he retains a hint of control and keeps himself and their past together 'alive' for her. It shows he still holds a level of power over her whether she likes it or not. It's dirty and cruel but clever and it makes sense, imo, not weird at all.

I actually see it as perfectly understandable on a psychological level. By tormenting her in this fashion, he retains a hint of control and keeps himself and their past together 'alive' for her. It shows he still holds a level of power over her whether she likes it or not. It's dirty and cruel but clever and it makes sense, imo, not weird at all.

He's a bit of a bastard all right, and he does enjoy his control. I'm glad you think the psychology of it works out. :)

Hey, I'm reading too, but was at a loss for ideas to make what I would term an intelligent comment:) But my interpretation of the snow globe from Ravage is that he misses her and wants her to miss him too, even if he knows better. I think he is in love with her in his own peculiar way.

Rylister I can't remember from the game, or anything else much about him. I'm seriously old and I don't mean 40ish:) That sort of thing happens ya know. I am having a great time reading the story though, so don't ever think I'm not around, even when silent ;-)

Hey, I'm reading too, but was at a loss for ideas to make what I would term an intelligent comment:) But my interpretation of the snow globe from Ravage is that he misses her and wants her to miss him too, even if he knows better. I think he is in love with her in his own peculiar way.

Rylister I can't remember from the game, or anything else much about him. I'm seriously old and I don't mean 40ish:) That sort of thing happens ya know. I am having a great time reading the story though, so don't ever think I'm not around, even when silent ;-)

That's ok, I just like to know that people are reading along and enjoying (hopefully). That's one way of looking at Ravage and his efforts, he does as you say, love her, or at very least want her back, because it sticks in him that she is no longer his.

Rylister wasn't a character in the game, he's an original character I created. :D So it's all good, it's not a memory thing, he's someone I made up. Someone told me the other day, that they have a hard time telling between what is actual cannon, and what I've made up for my stories, which makes me very happy to hear. :) Thanks for reading and letting me know what you're thinking. ^^

Edited by Lunafox

Oh wow, a made up character? I would never have known:) What it does tell me is that I need to go back and read from the beginning again. When I read weekly chapters I do forget some of the things that happened along the way.

Kudos once again to your phenomenal writing skills! :D

Oh wow, a made up character? I would never have known:) What it does tell me is that I need to go back and read from the beginning again. When I read weekly chapters I do forget some of the things that happened along the way.

Kudos once again to your phenomenal writing skills! :D

Thanks, Foxfire! :D I have quite a few of my own characters woven throughout my stories, which are all linked together like a series. I do hope, if you decide to reread that you'll have a good time and I do appreciate your kind comments. ^^

A/N:

This piece of music seemed fitting for tonight's chapter...enjoy.

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Nine~

Beware the malice of a patient enemy.

The holo-image vanished from the surface of the console, but the man and his news remained burned into my senses. I removed my mask and set it on the long table by the hearth. The etched durasteel face teetered back and forth and when it slowed to a mere vibration, I turned my thoughts to the decanters arranged on the sideboard.

Spirits were something I rarely indulged in, but this day the tangy vapor called to me through the cut glass and thick waxy stopper. I filled the tumbler half way and considered the honey-gold liquid before putting it to my lips.

The drink was a toast to victory and an unspoken eulogy in one. I downed it and when I set the empty glass next to the bottle, I sensed Liaseph’s presence behind me. My distraction was such that I didn’t sense her crossing the room.

Her eyes remained downcast and she moved deliberately, stoically, as if she were exerting great concentration to maintain her composure. I reached for the bottle again, when she stopped me.

“Allow me.” She refilled the glass and when she finished, she presented the tumbler to me with both hands like a servant would. Seeing her so humbled still stirred a thread of anger within me and the darkness tugged at it, wanting for more.

“I’m quite capable of pouring my own drink,” I began, my tone harsher than I’d intended. The wounded look in her eyes demanded I make the effort to soften my manner. “But thank you, all the same.”

I left the drink untouched. Her shoulders sank and her entire demeanor shriveled, including her tentative smile.

Music filtered into the chamber from another room in the stronghold—some sort of macabre children’s choir accompanied by deep strings and I was left searching for the meaning of it. Perhaps it was her way of communicating something she didn’t dare say.

“That man you were on the holo with…was that Lord Spindrall?”

“Yes, yes it was.”

“I thought I recognized his voice. What was it about? Was it about Rylister?”

“He’s dead.”

She sat down heavily on the temple bench. Her fingertips hovered over her lips and her eyes filled with tears. Her hand dropped to her chest. “How?”

“A duel against another student.”

“Who was the student?”

“What does it matter? He bested Rylister—but if it’s any consolation the boy succumbed to his injuries afterward.”

“I said—who was the student?”

“Simeon Ur.”

Recognition burned in her eyes. “That’s Ravage’s son. Did you arrange that? Make them fight each other on purpose?”

“What if I did? Does it matter?”

“That’s cruel. I can’t believe you’d do such a thing, or that they’d allow that—his apprentice to fight his own son—and now they’re both dead? I can’t believe it.”

“Believe it. It’s true. That is the way of the Sith. One should have emerged the victor—yet both proved—weak.” I pressed the tumbler into her hands. I half expected her to throw it and when she accepted it with shaking hands, I was almost disappointed. I would have deserved it.

After one mouthful she rejected it. “I can’t believe he’s gone. I thought he’d change his mind and help you once he’d thought about it. I thought maybe, somehow you two could become friends.”

“That’s naïve. The man who was your friend died a long time ago. Even if he hadn’t we would never be friends.”

“You could have removed him—taken him away by force. He didn’t have to die.”

“It was only a matter of time. Death stalked him like a tukata stalks the wounded. I think, even he knew that.”

“Why did I let you talk me into this? His blood is on my hands now as much as it is on yours. I as much as killed my friend.” She looked up at me with accusing eyes. “You could’ve saved him! Why did you let him die?” She sobbed into her hands and I turned my back to her.

“He died because he was a fool. He had his chance. He was a weak link in the Jedi Order and a weaker one still as Sith. He was incapable of committing to either side fully. Killing him—was almost a mercy. Grieve him if you will, but don’t expect me to lament his loss. He was nothing to me.”

“Ares, I don’t expect you to grieve for him. What I expect—what I need is for you to understand that it hurts me. I can’t take back what I did, as much as I wish I could.”

“Even if you hadn’t spoken to him, he would’ve died in the same manner. That wouldn’t have changed.”

“How can you be that way?”

The question fell unanswered between us. Her anger bubbled up from within her like a natural spring, but instead of pursuing it, she instead threw her arms around my waist and buried her face against my back. I stood frozen in place, allowing her to cleave to me as if she were drowning. The embrace was an empty one but if my husk sufficed as comfort, then she was welcome to it.

“Don’t you feel anything? No remorse or pity?” She pressed.

“I would be lying if I told you I felt that which I don’t. I don’t wish to lie to you.”

“Damn you! Damn you to hell,” she choked out between broken sobs. I pulled free of her arms and drew her into mine.

“Why does it hurt so much?” Her lips curled over clenched teeth and she raised her fist to pummel my chest, but the anger I sensed in her gave way to resignation. Her hand remained knotted in a pale fist but slid down my chest like broken eggs on glass.

I tightened my grip on her and held fast as she cursed me and herself and all that was Jedi and Sith. I petted her hair, slowly, deliberately and I felt her body grow limp. With very little effort I steered her toward the chesterfield and settled her before the fire.

We sat before the roaring flames. By the time she had no tears left, there were only smoking embers and a pair of persistent coals that stared out of the fire box with red unblinking eyes.

I stood and even though I didn’t look at her, I knew her eyes were on my back, following my movements about the room.

“You used me and it was all for nothing. The agents are long gone, you have no leads,” she whispered. “What now?”

“They’ll reappear in time as they so often do after their bravado has returned. That is the way with them. They play their cat and mouse games until they’re caught and executed.”

The silence grew thick, each breath and minute like stone and mortar growing the wall between us.

“I’ve been thinking,” she murmured. “You might be right about our having children. I couldn’t stand it if I lost them. I see now how little life matters here. I wanted to believe things could be different, but I can’t have a child in a place like this, not in good conscience.”

Her words shocked me. I hadn’t expected that she would give up something so important to her, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t relieved. “Is your change of heart because of this? Because of Rylister and Ravage’s boy?”

“I’m not doing it out of some twisted need to hurt you. I just know I can’t do this to myself. If this is our life, then it’s a life better lived without a child in it. The last thing I would ever want is a child that has Force gifts—to be sent off to that desolate hateful place. That would be a curse because I know how it would end.”

I didn’t know how to respond to that so I remained silent, content to allow each breath and moment to build.

She rose and strolled the room, as aimlessly as a ship with no rudder, fingertips trailing over the surfaces—she had nothing more to say to me, and yet she wouldn’t leave either.

“Liaseph, there is something more you should know.”

“What?” She froze and stared at me, her skin pale and her gaze uncertain.

“I’m returning to active duty.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow.”

“So soon? You’re not recovered yet—surely the Empire can manage without you for a few more weeks.”

“Liaseph—I’ve been cleared for duty. I want to return. There is much to be done. The Emperor demands to know what has become of the Dread Masters, the Jedi are up to something—one of them is missing, and I don’t believe it to be happenstance.”

“I don’t want you to go.”

“You have no say in the matter.” I took her shoulders and gazed into her eyes. “That isn’t meant to be cruel, it’s only the truth. I think some time apart would do us good, for the time being. You need to grieve your loss and I don’t wish to watch. I need an occupation.”

“How long will you be away?”

“Perhaps a month, maybe two. I don’t know. There are no guarantees, I will return when I’ve completed my tour.”

“Then why do I feel scared?”

“I don’t know. I know it hasn’t always been easy between us.” I sighed heavily. “For what it’s worth, I had hoped the business with Rylister would have turned out differently. I was prepared to honor the arrangement.”

“I believe you,” she whispered her gaze downcast. Her entire body quaked as she spoke.

“Good.” I scanned the room, and the rooms visible through the archways beyond it and frowned. “I regret that you’ll be lonely in my absence. Perhaps—acquire a servant or two, rather than these droids. They’re efficient workers, but poor company. Have Imperial Intelligence vet your choices—Minder Xesh can assist you. You have access to my accounts—venture out into the city. See what delights Kaas City has to offer—perhaps make some new acquaintances.”

“You’re not leaving me, are you?”

“No. I’ll return, assuming nothing happens to prevent it. I will be in touch when duty permits.”

“I’d like that.” She stole a glance up at me and smiled slightly. “If you’re leaving tomorrow, then I wish to make sure this night is memorable. I’ll see to dinner…”

“Of course.”

She backed away from me slowly and was halfway across the room before she turned her back to me.

I took up the tumbler and drained the contents as if doing so marked the end of one era, and the beginning of the next.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

The silence grew thick, each breath and minute like stone and mortar growing the wall between us.

That line right there says it all where this chapter is concerned. The dialogue between Marr and Liaseph was heart wrenching in its naked truth of what he has become, is becoming, and her as trapped as she ever has been by a love that has no recourse but to go where it will in this cruel world.

I wonder, now, if the loss of Marr's real heart has somehow quickened this fall into darkness, to no longer feel a physical effect of his actions or even his love, or as much as he can love anyone, for Liaseph. And, he almost sounds relieved that he will be away on duty although he has less and less to give on the homefront. I do love a good tragedy, but seeing him hollowed out so, at such a young age, makes for a sad tale indeed.

Perhaps it is this night where Liatrix is conceived, and, I also detect an edge of madness beginning to form in Liaseph along with an intense hatred of all things Sith. I must give Marr credit for not lying to her about Rylister but what a bitter pill and of course she feels complicit in it all. Will she still love Marr at the end, it is a thin line as they say.

Kudos on an excellent chapter. :D

Kudos!

As Misha already said this is a heart-wrenching chapter.

I feel for both of them. Their struggle feels real, and believable. A relationship like theirs is bound to be far from happily-ever-after given both their natures and the state of the galaxy they are living in. I like their honesty and I hope the remaining time before Marr's departure will suffice to remind them of why they are together and maybe help to break down the wall between them.

Looking forward to the next part.

That music to accompany the chapter was haunting, but beautiful and fitting as was the opening line.

It would seem as though a certain strain is slowly starting to catch up to them and wedge between them. The change in Liaseph's demeanor ever since serving as a slave, Marr's heart growing ever colder. Lia's slow realization of what life in the Empire means not just for her but any children she wishes to have... it's starting to weigh on their relationship and I assume that's the patient enemy referenced in the chapter's opening?

I am glad though that through it all, Marr remains honest with her even if brutally and bluntly so. It would do no good for him to try and sugarcoat anything for her, allowing for false hope and sentiments. I'm inclined to agree some time apart may be good for them but I worry too, especially if certain other Sith Lords won't be leaving Dromund Kaas in pursuit of the Dread Masters... and the hiring of servants could be worrisome.

So, does this mean we'll soon be seeing one of my least favorite Jedi appear?

Insightful and somewhat emotional chapter, nice work.