Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they don't merge the server I'm on with any other.

There is currently no reason to merge any of the former PvE servers. They all have pretty healthy populations at this point, regardless what the Harbinger hawkers claim otherwise. They are not Harbingers in size, nor do they need to be. Anyone who has played Harbinger shortly after an expac surge in active players knows that it is not the best server all the time as it gets unstable when heavily loaded.

[And it is the unstable nature of The Harbinger which to me argues against all this merge all the servers into one megaserver nonsense. If they actually did that, none of us would be able to play the game without endless crashes, dead mail service, rubber banding, etc. etc. etc. I have largely left The Harbinger because of this and it was a good choice for me. Other players may be fine with it, but I want a stable server more then blowing out the population numbers ]

The former PvP servers.... more difficult to say. I personally think they will wait a while and see what players do with the servers now that there is no server distinction for PvE and PvP. I kind of think they will wait until after the next expac drops and we get our next population surge before they act on these. With no distinction between servers now, new and returning players may actually roll on some of these to get away from the crush on some of the other servers. I know some players who are already transferring to the old PvP servers simply to run in the PvE instance side of things and have the place pretty much to themselves.

Edited by Andryah

If they weren't experiencing a drop in population numbers on a lot of the servers, why reformat the server selection screen and remove the population information?

I think It because people have been mistaking the server as light thinking low population without actually knowing the population or know what light means. Someone pointed out to me that bio increase all of the server capacity back in October so you cannot compare it to last years so now server pop status means nothing only feeds false info in people heads.

I think It because people have been mistaking the server as light thinking low population without actually knowing the population or know what light means. Someone pointed out to me that bio increase all of the server capacity back in October so you cannot compare it to last years so now server pop status means nothing only feeds false info in people heads.

People have not been mistaking "light" status means low population. People log into pot5, bastion, and jung ma and know it is low population by the fact that there is very few people there. Saying "light" as a status and the changes in hardware have nothing to do with 3 hour waits for PVP instances.

Just like playing on harbs. It hits standard most of the day because it is the most populated server left on this game. That does not mean that the population is not shrinking before or after this hardware upgrade was put in. Almost everyone I know gauges a servers health and population by the quickness of grouped instances being launched for both PVP and PVE. Not some hardware upgrade that shows a server being "light" when it is actually heavy or healthy. And there is a real cool tool called "who" tab. It will tell you exactly how many people are on an instance up to 100. It is super easy to weight up a population of any server. And harbs is by a long shot the popular server.

One more thing I would like to add before going. I notice you and a lot of people on these forums almost always assume that when people make reference to the populations being lower and or on the decline you assume that the information is false. You said "only feeds false info in people heads". I have noticed this time and time again with certain people who will not accept anyone claims that the servers are less populated. I will leave you with this. Harbs had 4 to 5 instances of fleet on the republic side not all that long ago. Now we are lucky to get 2 instances of fleet a night. That has nothing to do with server status because you can count exactly how many people are on fleet without any guess work or inside information from EA. Its plain and simple math.

Anyone can go to any server with a pen and paper and compare exactly how many more or less players are on each server. Between the "who" command and being able to physically visit an instance over 100 to check how many are on each instance. This is not rocket science and I am frankly tired of seeing so many people attacking others for observing the demonstrable numbers of servers. Anyone can do this. I did it when I moved to harbs. It was hands down the most populated server by a landslide. But the point is it was demonstrable. Its actually really easy when you know the names of each instance and planet. Takes no more than 10 minutes to do the entire server.

Edited by MaximumOwnage

Is that possibly because people are off fleet and playing KotFE for the 8th time, trying to keep their alts up to date?

***EDIT***

I'll even take this thought further. BW have actually done a good job of giving us a variety of things to do. These things spread players to all planets, which makes the old hub less necessary and less populated. Also, those Ops that people would stand around queued for are getting stale (or so I hear) so people go and do those other things that spread them out, away from fleet.

In this sense I often wonder how helpful using custom channels for forming ops would have been if everyone knew about them.

Custom channels are seriously under appreciated in SWtor. Almost any other MMO I've played or seen had heavy usage of world chat channels to form endgame groups. But, since swtor didn't create a world chat as a default channel (like Gen, Trade, PvP is) hardly anyone even knows they're there because you have to /cjoin them to even see them.

There is currently no reason to merge any of the former PvE servers. They all have pretty healthy populations at this point, regardless what the Harbinger hawkers claim otherwise. They are not Harbingers in size, nor do they need to be. Anyone who has played Harbinger shortly after an expac surge in active players knows that it is not the best server all the time as it gets unstable when heavily loaded.

[And it is the unstable nature of The Harbinger which to me argues against all this merge all the servers into one megaserver nonsense. If they actually did that, none of us would be able to play the game without endless crashes, dead mail service, rubber banding, etc. etc. etc. I have largely left The Harbinger because of this and it was a good choice for me. Other players may be fine with it, but I want a stable server more then blowing out the population numbers ]

The former PvP servers.... more difficult to say. I personally think they will wait a while and see what players do with the servers now that there is no server distinction for PvE and PvP. I kind of think they will wait until after the next expac drops and we get our next population surge before they act on these. With no distinction between servers now, new and returning players may actually roll on some of these to get away from the crush on some of the other servers. I know some players who are already transferring to the old PvP servers simply to run in the PvE instance side of things and have the place pretty much to themselves.

I wouldn't want to see mergers into Harb either. I quite like monopolising CM items for sale on the GTN and lately there has been more items than ever listed to which I can only assume is some sort of result of the influx of people moving from other servers.

I had thought it might be from the current pack with well over 200 pages of armor sets available ( dropping only form cubes ... that's a lot of chance cubes opened when an armour set drops say 1 in 5 drops ) but then I noticed an influx of items that don't drop at all anymore e.g. supplementary armour crates from older packs prior to the alliance packs.

I guess the offside is more players = more buyers but I have noted a noticeable swing in pricing dropping for bronze/silver items lately ... gold continues to rise due to the silly low drop rate in the cubes ( 1 in 100 if I were to guess off my experience with them, much lower than the old grand packs had ).

I wouldn't want to see mergers into Harb either. I quite like monopolising CM items for sale on the GTN and lately there has been more items than ever listed to which I can only assume is some sort of result of the influx of people moving from other servers.

I had thought it might be from the current pack with well over 200 pages of armor sets available ( dropping only form cubes ... that's a lot of chance cubes opened when an armour set drops say 1 in 5 drops ) but then I noticed an influx of items that don't drop at all anymore e.g. supplementary armour crates from older packs prior to the alliance packs.

I guess the offside is more players = more buyers but I have noted a noticeable swing in pricing dropping for bronze/silver items lately ... gold continues to rise due to the silly low drop rate in the cubes ( 1 in 100 if I were to guess off my experience with them, much lower than the old grand packs had ).

I believe chance cubes can drop partial armor boxes; though I'll admit I wasn't paying enough attention to my last set of boxes opened to be sure.

Most people just go buy the software, or download the software, and install it.

Most people won't have any idea where to check "server status" -- it's not on the front page, is it? Are they going to think to go to "community" and look for it in all the other clutter?

Now you're trying to find silly faults. The information isn't 'hidden', and while it's not thrown in your face like it was, you don't have to be a 'leet hacker' to find it. Even if they don't know to go looking for the page, are they just going to stay in a server that doesn't appreciate their tastes or are they going to ask someone? It's not a rare occurrence when I go to the starter planets and someone is asking if it's a good server for PvP. A simple /w to them lets them know.

The reason you see old cartel pack drops in the market more now is because of the Chance Cubes. Chance Cubes have done some interesting things to the player economy right now. Personally, I like change in the economy and I don't mind adjusting to the market.

As for Harbinger listing and prices.... IMO, it's been like that for the better part of a year now. I routinely buy up items on Harbinger and then move them to another server because of the heavy discounts on Harbinger. So I am doing my small part soaking up some of the excess on Harbinger. :)

Now you're trying to find silly faults. The information isn't 'hidden', and while it's not thrown in your face like it was, you don't have to be a 'leet hacker' to find it.

Not to mention... Google. Takes all of 5 seconds to track down server status/load for any MMO that actually provides the information.

Now you're trying to find silly faults. The information isn't 'hidden', and while it's not thrown in your face like it was, you don't have to be a 'leet hacker' to find it. Even if they don't know to go looking for the page, are they just going to stay in a server that doesn't appreciate their tastes or are they going to ask someone? It's not a rare occurrence when I go to the starter planets and someone is asking if it's a good server for PvP. A simple /w to them lets them know.

No -- I'm just pointing out average user behavior for most software, games or otherwise.

It's bad they get any toxicity; that kind of thing is never called for and IMO only shows low emotional maturity.

I worked in the same building as the guys creating this game and made friends with a few of the people involved.

To be completely honest, I am actually surprised any of them make games, with all the hate they get.

It is a complete labor of love.

Developers of games like this work their butts off and get almost nothing but derision from the online communities that follow the games they make.

At this point, I am always surprised when a game maker will open the door to communication, knowing most of it is going to be emotionally charged drivel from people with no clue how technology or businesses actually function.

I do everything I can to limit my own personal interaction with other gamers nowadays to be honest; far too many are full of venom and toxic negativity about so many things.

I play games to relax and have fun - not tear down every single little thing that might, possibly, in some way, not be the perfect exact thing the way I want it.

After this thread and a couple of others like it, it's no wonder gamers have the reputation they do for being obnoxious know-it-all jerks.

Then again, watching people argue over the latest thing some talking said is not much different; we live in a world of maturity challenged humans.

Incredibly well said. I worked in the (s'ware dev.) industry (not games) and this is brilliant. I could add to this but it would be gilding the lily. :)

No -- I'm just pointing out average user behavior for most software, games or otherwise.

I'm not denying people can be pretty dense, but if you go to the main SWTOR.com page, it's a rollover option right below the main picture to check Server Status. Anyone who is looking for a popular server or RP options can see it without too much trouble. If they were trying to hide it to obfuscate the server stats, they could have done a much better job.

(Can I get a sticker for finally getting to use obfuscate in a sentence?:p)

I'm not denying people can be pretty dense, but if you go to the main SWTOR.com page, it's a rollover option right below the main picture to check Server Status. Anyone who is looking for a popular server or RP options can see it without too much trouble. If they were trying to hide it to obfuscate the server stats, they could have done a much better job.

(Can I get a sticker for finally getting to use obfuscate in a sentence?:p)

Yes, you can.

I didn't assert that it was certainly malice, just that IF it was an intentional attempt to obfuscate, THEN I'd call it malice -- even if they did a poor job of it. The alternative that I offered up was simply that the person tasked to do the rework of the server selection screen didn't really think about what should still be on it.

This thread and the other one.

There's currently 6528 pages of threads in General Discussion alone, not including the other 4 sub-forums. So, I hope you realise that 'The other one' is not that descriptive or that much of an answer.

There's currently 6528 pages of threads in General Discussion alone, not including the other 4 sub-forums. So, I hope you realise that 'The other one' is not that descriptive or that much of an answer.

Dude.. he cannot reference that other thread.... BECAUSE it was merged into this one. :) It does not exist anymore, not does the parting thread the OP started and was removed today (where he said he was not going to post anymore, but he's said that before.. so it's just the Chicken Little routine all over again).

There was nothing new in it, just a fresh start at the same nonsense... which is why it was merged to this one.

Edited by Andryah

Dude.. he cannot reference that other thread.... BECAUSE it was merged into this one. :) It does not exist anymore, not does the parting thread the OP started and was removed today (where he said he was not going to post anymore, but he's said that before.. so it's just the Chicken Little routine all over again).

There was nothing new in it, just a fresh start at the same nonsense... which is why it was merged to this one.

She could reference the title or the contents of the other thread. Just saying 'the other one' means nothing.

She could reference the title or the contents of the other thread. Just saying 'the other one' means nothing.

USUALLY... when threads get merged.. it's because they are covering exactly the same topic and discussion ground. I would have thought that would have been obvious, and not need additional editorial :)

AND.. the actual contents of that other thread, are right here in this merged thread (except for a couple that got zapped). So you have everything right here.

Edited by Andryah