[Combat] The Next Generation of a Star Wars MMO Title

usctrojans

Are you not "good" at those kinds of games or do you find active immersion into the combat a bad thing?

If I must choose between those two options, it's the "immersion into the combat" thing. It's not a "bad thing" per se. It's just not fun ... for me.

You realize this entire discussion is completely subjective, right? I don't like eggplant either. It's not as if one can "prove" that one system is empirically superior to the other.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I must choose between those two options, it's the "immersion into the combat" thing. It's not a "bad thing" per se. It's just not fun ... for me.

You realize this entire discussion is completely subjective, right? I don't like eggplant either. It's not as if one can "prove" that one system is empirically superior to the other.

I'm just trying to understand why someone would be opposed to it. Someone could most definitely tell another why they don't like eggplant. Is it the color? The taste? The texture? Is it how it tastes after being steamed?

Who are you that anybody has to justify their tastes in games (or music) to you?

I'm just asking questions. I'm not demanding or holding him/her hostage. He/she can easily walk away from the thread at any time but while he/she is rebuking the concept of a Star Wars MMORPG with immersive and active combat I'm most definitely going to ask why.

Is that a sufficient response for the White (Jedi) Knight? No judgment is being passed. Calm yourself youngling.

Edited by usctrojans

I'm just trying to understand why someone would be opposed to it. Someone could most definitely tell another why they don't like eggplant. Is it the color? The taste? The texture? Is it how it tastes after being steamed?

Okay. I'm done. Let's just go with, "It's none of your damn business why I don't like eggplant." It shall remain a mystery to you, I fear.

Okay. I'm done. Let's just go with, "It's none of your damn business why I don't like eggplant." It shall remain a mystery to you, I fear.

So your reasoning is "I don't wanna". That's alright but it holds no weight in the discussion as it's not informative or constructive. What would be the negatives to a new combat style or how would the positives contribute to the game's further success?

I'm just asking questions. I'm not demanding or holding him/her hostage. He/she can easily walk away from the thread at any time but while he/she is rebuking the concept of a Star Wars MMORPG with immersive and active combat I'm most definitely going to ask why.

Is that a sufficient response for the White (Jedi) Knight?

There's a HUGE difference in the 2 combat systems. I absolutely love FPS type games and they are, without doubt, what got me into gaming. However...I play FPS games for a rush...for an hour or two of adrenaline filled action. MMOs, imo, are more laid back and more relaxing...they focus on the journey more than KILL KILL KILL. Don't get me wrong...MMOs largely focus on killing stuff too, but it's for rewards ("stuff") vs. adrenaline rushes.

There's a HUGE difference in the 2 combat systems. I absolutely love FPS type games and they are, without doubt, what got me into gaming. However...I play FPS games for a rush...for an hour or two of adrenaline filled action. MMOs, imo, are more laid back and more relaxing...they focus on the journey more than KILL KILL KILL. Don't get me wrong...MMOs largely focus on killing stuff too, but it's for rewards ("stuff") vs. adrenaline rushes.

This is a great point. Do you think it would be possible to find a nice medium between the laid back and aggressive gameplay experience? Elder Scrolls: Online is very laid back at times (Exploration, Very robust crafting, questing, group pve) but can't be pretty intense in other situations like 1vsX PvP scenarios or sieges.

This is a great point. Do you think it would be possible to find a nice medium between the laid back and aggressive gameplay experience? Elder Scrolls: Online is very laid back at times (Exploration, Very robust crafting, questing, group pve) but can't be pretty intense in other situations like 1vsX PvP scenarios or sieges.

That's a good question...I don't know. I know it's been tried, and failed...but I'm sure someone could get it right. I just haven't seen that perfect mix yet.

I'd have to disagree. In my opinion, the top two shortcomings of SWTOR are it's combat system and the damn launcher. Also, I highly doubt even modifying the Hero Engine itself cost $200m considering Elder Scrolls: Online utilizes the same engine and the game director laughed hysterically at similar claims for the development of their entire game stating that if their game cost that much he'd be out of a job.

If I wanted to play that type of combat system, I would be playing those games. The swtor combat is fine.

Is that a sufficient response for the White (Jedi) Knight? No judgment is being passed. Calm yourself youngling.

Your usage of the term "white knight" graciously tells me everything I need to know about what kind of person you are, so congrats for self-identifying as a troll and troublemaker. It was probably the most considerate thing you've done in this entire failed thread, though naturally it was accidental on your part. ;)\

Also love how in his "none of your business" response, you pull the typical troll move of trying to claim some kind of victory. That's just extra sad.

What exactly dissuades you from playing an MMO with active combat? Is it the learning curve or is the skill ceiling too high for you in particular?

Funny how you tell one poster his opinion has no merit because it doesnt add constructive feedback, but you sure seem to think it is ok for you to insult someone because their opinion differs from yours.

Your usage of the term "white knight" graciously tells me everything I need to know about what kind of person you are, so congrats for self-identifying as a troll and troublemaker. It was probably the most considerate thing you've done in this entire failed thread, though naturally it was accidental on your part. ;)\

Also love how in his "none of your business" response, you pull the typical troll move of trying to claim some kind of victory. That's just extra sad.

Meanwhile you haven't contributed to this thread at all. Go ahead and show yourself to the door, troll.

His replies could read either way...offensive or genuinely curious. I went with the "genuinely curious" approach and received a cordial reply.

His getting defensive probably has a little bit to do with how people are jumping down his throat...

Funny how you tell one poster his opinion has no merit because it doesnt add constructive feedback, but you sure seem to think it is ok for you to insult someone because their opinion differs from yours.

He simply asked a question. I think you're trying to find a certain tone in it that doesn't necessarily exist.

Sorry, did I insult someone? A low skill ceiling for combat isn't an insult but more of a reality. Some people can keep up and some can't. I am certainly unskilled at Mortal Kombat but that doesn't really mean anything personally beyond that.

For example:

I can throw a football but I can't throw it as well as Peyton Manning. Does that make me less of a person? Should I find that fact insulting? Should I be ashamed of it? The answer is a resounding: NO. It simply means that person is better equipped to reach the skill ceiling than I am and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Edited by usctrojans

Why are you opposed to an active combat game? Does watching cooldowns and rolling your face through your hotbar keep you interested in the combat mechanics?

And there's where the cute little elitism and juvenile attempt to belittle and demean those who don't share your personal taste comes out. We're all so shocked.

*PLONK*

Edited by Max_Killjoy

And there's where the cute little elitism and juvenile attempt to belittle and demean those who don't share your personal taste comes out. We're all so shocked.

*PLONK*

Well, I appreciate you calling me cute and elite... I think.

Is it in bad taste to point out a glaring con to the combat in SWTOR? Let's be real here... You can faceroll your way through this game. Let's not overlook that most obvious fact. It was not an insult and if you took it that way I still won't apologize. You need to generate some thicker skin.

Edited by usctrojans

*PLONK*

You beat me to it. A little adversity has a nice little way of bringing out a person's true nature, and that's as true in a web forum as anywhere.

You beat me to it. A little adversity has a nice little way of bringing out a person's true nature, and that's as true in a web forum as anywhere.

Are you going to contribute anything related to the topic at hand or are you going to keep pulling at straws? You're probably the person that goes to an award ceremony and criticizes how the person walked up the stairs to receive their award instead of what they actually did to receive it.

Trying to "find a medium", to me, seems like a recipe for a watered down experience. I think they'd be better off having different games that cater to different styles well, rather than trying to please everyone in the way you're alluding to.

Have a Star Wars game that does twitch, adrenaline-fueled action well, so that players looking for that experience can pop that game in and get it. And have a Star Wars game that does laid-back gameplay well, so that when you're in the mood for that sort of experience you can play that game instead.

It might be possible to put both in the same game, but most times I've seen it tried the results have been mediocre.

Trying to "find a medium", to me, seems like a recipe for a watered down experience. I think they'd be better off having different games that cater to different styles well, rather than trying to please everyone in the way you're alluding to.

Have a Star Wars game that does twitch, adrenaline-fueled action well, so that players looking for that experience can pop that game in and get it. And have a Star Wars game that does laid-back gameplay well, so that when you're in the mood for that sort of experience you can play that game instead.

It might be possible to put both in the same game, but most times I've seen it tried the results have been mediocre.

Nice post. Have you had the chance to check out Elder Scrolls: Online or Black Desert Online yet? I think they do this really well. I too believe that a certain care would be required to find a medium.

He simply asked a question. I think you're trying to find a certain tone in it that doesn't necessarily exist.

If you dont see when someone insults another by saying "whats the matter, the skill to much for you", then maybe YOU should try reading what he is saying, rather then just run to his defense. He has done nothing but try to either insult, or talk down to anyone who happens to disagree with him.

Black Desert Online yet? I think they do this really well. I too believe that a certain care would be required to find a medium.

One of my long time gaming friends just started playing that game (rather than SWTOR) and it's the first thing he told me about...I'll have to look into it more.

If you dont see when someone insults another by saying "whats the matter, the skill to much for you", then maybe YOU should try reading what he is saying, rather then just run to his defense. He has done nothing but try to either insult, or talk down to anyone who happens to disagree with him.

I never posted anything similar to that. A skill ceiling and being unable to reach it is not an insult. If you find that a personal insult then you are investing far too much emotion into your gaming. I love gaming and I still find that as an over the top reaction.