Megaservers

Joesixxpack

I would not be opposed to a megaserver, but ONLY if you could clearly flag yourself as not being available for PvP. As someone who plays the game mostly from an RP perspective, I'm not really interested in getting mobbed out of the blue. If they could ensure that you could keep yourself out of PvP, then I'd probably be fine with it.

Yes, if a merge or megaserver happens, then I hope they still have that new feature. I mean I don't mind the occasional attack by an imperial while im out collecting tauntaun data, but to be constantly harassed gets sooo annoying haha.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if a merge or megaserver happens, then I hope they still have that new feature. I mean I don't mind the occasional attack by an imperial while im out collecting tauntaun data, but to be constantly harassed gets sooo annoying haha.

this change is clear as day a push one step closer towards a unified server. and if it isnt its just another of the many growing examples of a dev team that spends time on changes that just dont matter to the real health of the game if it stays separate servers.

it solves the issue of what do we do with pvp servers in a single nicely done update.

its sad that they just cant tell the truth about it and have to keep it under wraps as if when they do say it, it will be this massive see we are doing good for you. just stop BW step up and say we are working towards a server unification and this is and the name changes are two necessary parsts to the plan.

oh and eric coming on and saying this is not a megaserver move its hot air. that guy has said so many things over the past year that are complete lies or totally mistakes that he has confessed to with corrected posts or ignores.

its sad that they just cant tell the truth about it and have to keep it under wraps as if when they do say it, it will be this massive see we are doing good for you.

Do remember this games forum history. They cant say anything because people read what they want to read, and remember what they want to remember.

Dev says: "Hey guys were -thinking about- maybe doing X next year"

Forum posters 6 months later: "Omg!!! You swore on your dead grandmothers graves that you would give Us X in January!!! You dirty filthy liars! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!111!!!"

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Do remember this games forum history. They cant say anything because people read what they want to read, and remember what they want to remember.

Dev says: "Hey guys were -thinking about- maybe doing X next year"

Forum posters 6 months later: "Omg!!! You swore on your dead grandmothers graves that you would give Us X in January!!! You dirty filthy liars! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!111!!!"

Perhaps this might mean...that the things they do not talk about, or the thing they are denying..will actually happen! :)

Despite what Eric said, a lot of the QOL improvements seem like 'preparation' for future merges, I mean increasing guild limits and adding spaces meaning you can create proper surnames means there is a higher probability that your name will not be taken on another server if they merged.

I think BW are going to look at how the server changes with the instances changes and take it from their but it does look like BW have at least made preparations on merging.

Despite what Eric said, a lot of the QOL improvements seem like 'preparation' for future merges, I mean increasing guild limits and adding spaces meaning you can create proper surnames means there is a higher probability that your name will not be taken on another server if they merged.

I think BW are going to look at how the server changes with the instances changes and take it from their but it does look like BW have at least made preparations on merging.

That's a pretty big jump in logic.

First, if you look back over the "Suggestions" page, there have been many posts over the years about increasing guild size and changing the naming. All I see here is Bioware giving customers what they have asked for for years (I know, totally out of character for them).

And just take a good look at the Harbinger server and the problems it has. Unless Bioware are going to invest a "shìt-ton" of money into servers, there's no way they can have all of the US on 1 server. If anything, I'd say the new PvP flagging is an attempt to get people to play on servers other than Harbinger and spread the server load.

But as usual, people are going to ignore anything approaching logic, build their hopes up for something totally unrealistic, and then blame Bioware for failing to keep to their "promises" when it doesn't happen.

That's a pretty big jump in logic.

First, if you look back over the "Suggestions" page, there have been many posts over the years about increasing guild size and changing the naming. All I see here is Bioware giving customers what they have asked for for years (I know, totally out of character for them).

And just take a good look at the Harbinger server and the problems it has. Unless Bioware are going to invest a "shìt-ton" of money into servers, there's no way they can have all of the US on 1 server. If anything, I'd say the new PvP flagging is an attempt to get people to play on servers other than Harbinger and spread the server load.

But as usual, people are going to ignore anything approaching logic, build their hopes up for something totally unrealistic, and then blame Bioware for failing to keep to their "promises" when it doesn't happen.

Even if megaserver doesn't happen, will it really be that different? They've "fixed the glitch". With increase in server capacity, guilds, naming changes and instance systems, there is no reason to stay on PVP servers anymore. When they die out (more like, will become even more dead than now), they will be merged. Only RP have some chance of surviving.

Edited by Frenesi

i dont feel there is a big jump in logic here. they have done nothing in a timely fashion because people are asking for it. they increased stack size simply because on BW end it means less data to have to manage in. They increased guild size not because we have been asking but because they coded that all important 9999 into the system and selected 999 as the new guild max.

it again shows to me that they are prepping the back end of the game for a single server. and FYi they have all the server space they need with all the of the hardware maintaining all of the servers. so really there is very little addition really needed as the other servers (light) wont bring that much stress to a single server.

anyway if they dont see that they need a single server they just dont have a clue.

As long as the new instance feature was still around it may be a non-issue for you two. If you haven't tried it on the PTS yet: Our mini-maps clearly say which instance we're in, and it's quick/simple clicking to switch between PVP and PVE.

Even with megaservers, there'd still need to be 1 WC, 1 EC, 1 EN, 1 GER, and 1 FR.

With 1 extra server for each region for RP (keep the current RP-PvE servers open), because life on a megaserver *is* going to be intolerable for RPers.

Yeah, in star Trek Online tbere would be nights s group of German RPers would show up, so half the chat would be in German and it really threw everything off.

A measured and stepped approach to changing the game?

Am I allowed to say that I would find that a refreshing new course on the part of BW:A?

they seem to be following a best practices approach..make 1 major change, debug and test it in open world and then move to the next stage. Very good change management

I'm pretty sure Bioware has their "metrics" telling them otherwise (as always, when it comes to unpleasant things regarding their game) but some servers are in serious trouble. In the first weeks of KotFE the server population was in a very good state, but it dropped A LOT since then. TOFN has 40 people on the Republic fleet at 8pm (GMT + 1)... that's fking prime time. It's a joke, ofc noone's staying just for the story. Megaservers have to happen at some point in the near future, if they don't want to scare new players off. Imagine you start a new MMO and there's not even 40 people at the main hub during prime time. Just lol. Edited by DynamiCtagez

I'm pretty sure Bioware has their "metrics" telling them otherwise (as always, when it comes to unpleasant things regarding their game) but some servers are in serious trouble. In the first weeks of KotFE the server population was in a very good state, but it dropped A LOT since then. TOFN has 40 people on the Republic fleet at 8pm (GMT + 1)... that's fking prime time. It's a joke, ofc noone's staying just for the story. Megaservers have to happen at some point in the near future, if they don't want to scare new players off. Imagine you start a new MMO and there's not even 40 people at the main hub during prime time. Just lol.

POT5 in the 30, low 40s at best when I've checked Imp fleet during a few recent prime times. No surprise there it's been dead awhile. But yeah exactly what you said, if I was a new player and saw that on their USE PVP server I'd nope the hell out.

Edited by Joesixxpack

POT5 in the 30, low 40s at best when I've checked Imp fleet during a few recent prime times. No surprise there it's been dead awhile. But yeah exactly what you said, if I was a new player and saw that on their USE PVP server I'd nope the hell out.

What worries me is that the population was actually relatively healthy in between SoR and KotFE coming out. It declined ridiculously fast after KotFE.

Edited by DynamiCtagez

RP vs not RP

Why not just ask for "RP" instances? Why does RP deserve it's own server disguised as a PvP or PvE server? Can't you RP on basically ANY server?

Edited by TUXs

Why not just ask for "RP" instances? Why does RP deserve it's own server disguised as a PvP or PvE server? Can't you RP on basically ANY server?

Depends on what you mean by "can". Technically, yes.

Practically? When even the most considerate of RPers report facing harassment?

Why are you all talking about this still? It's a done deal. Bioware never changes it mind to please the customer base.

NO MEGASERVERS COMING.

Stop beating the dead horse.

If you want off your dead server, like myself, you will have to fork over the cartel coins to transfer your char. Which is what Bioware wants. As far as your strongholds, guild ships, etc. Wave bye bye to them. Bioware doesn't care. You will just have to repurchase them on the server you moved to, possibly using cartel coins, which would make Bioware even more happy. With the potential of getting even more money out of it's player base, why on earth would Bioware merge everyone onto 1 or 2 servers and give up that potential income?

Depends on what you mean by "can". Technically, yes.

Practically? When even the most considerate of RPers report facing harassment?

Planetary chat is not instanced. Character names are not instanced.

Names are of no concern...you need to look past other players names. Bioware doesn't do anything about names like Fuk'Yu when reported, so I doubt there's anything at all they're willing to do for RPers about them. I don't mean that to sound rude, it infuriates me, but I think asking for more is futile.

As for chat, couldn't that be fixed with a simple zone only RP channel?

And this goes back to my original question - why ask for PvP and PvE-RP servers when you should be simply asking for RP? PvP and PvE can coexist...it seems like RP is the segment looking for special treatment...right?