The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware just got MASSIVELY called out on the new Cartel Packs... by Massively

DustyDemonNinja

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seeing the issue.

The new packs are a blatant ripoff. That's not an opinion, it's a fact that everyone is aware of. They offer much less for a higher price than the previous packs value-wise. This doesn't matter at all. People seem to love them. I people want to get ripf-off'd, then they desere to be taken advantage of and EA deserves all the money they get.

I cancelled my sub and that's the only thing that EA will care of. Money. Angry posts do absolutely nothing. Zero. They don't care. They just laugh at your face. Vote with your wallet and right now, the vote is clear: Cartel Packs are a go.

The new packs are a blatant ripoff. That's not an opinion, it's a fact that everyone is aware of.

Opinion presented as fact.

It's a fact for you perhaps, but it is not a fact across the entire player base. If it was, then we would not be seeing the heavy player investment in the packs, nor would we see the flurry of GTN activity surrounding buying and selling those "evil" Chance Cubes. If everyone (or even a majority) thought the packs were a rip-off... then why would they continue to buy them??????

Personally, I don't buy packs, not even off the GTN. But that does not mean I can opine that they are not worth the price and are a rip-off for players and then declare my opinion to be fact. Some players think so, some do not. For me, I simply don't buy them.

Now, in the forum, it is most often the person who bought dozens of hypercrates and did not get what they wanted that will claim rip-off. Lucky players rarely ever complain and more likely will come to the forum and brag about their luck.

Edited by Andryah

Opinion presented as fact.

It's a fact for you perhaps, but it is not a fact across the entire player base. If it was, then we would not be seeing the heavy player investment in the packs, nor would we see the flurry of GTN activity surrounding buying and selling those "evil" Chance Cubes. If everyone (or even a majority) thought the packs were a rip-off... then why would they continue to buy them??????

Personally, I don't buy packs, not even off the GTN. But that does not mean I can opine that they are not worth the price and are a rip-off for players. Some players think so, some do not. For me, I simply don't buy them.

Now, in the forum, it is most often the person who bought dozens of hypercrates and did not get what they wanted that will claim rip-off. Lucky players rarely ever complain and more likely will come to the forum and brag about their luck.

Offering less value for the same or higher price is a ripoff. It's not up to debate.

I just had this vision... BW decides to revert to the old pack layout and the chance cubes go away.

Suddenly the price of the remaining chance cubes skyrockets and everyone who had a ton of them massively profits.

Everyone who had previously hated the cubes now laments and whines about the fact they didn't get a chance to grab more of them.

..sound plausible?

I just had this vision... BW decides to revert to the old pack layout and the chance cubes go away.

Suddenly the price of the remaining chance cubes skyrockets and everyone who had a ton of them massively profits.

Everyone who had previously hated the cubes now laments and whines about the fact they didn't get a chance to grab more of them.

..sound plausible?

Very plausible.

However...after the success of the current pack, I just don't see chance cubes going away any time soon.

..sound plausible?

They were up to 800k last night on Shadowlands too. I saw someone post a couple for 350k but those disappeared quickly.

So I agree, plausible.

..sound plausible?

I just had a vision too: A bunch of people read this post, and then ran into the game and bought up all the "cheap" chance cubes, just in case.

..sound plausible?

I agree it's plausible ... if by "laments and whines" you mean "floods the forums with multiple rant threads complaining how unfair it is that EA/BW changed the feature they wanted changed before they could profit from it."

I recently learned that the restaurant where I eat breakfast everyday raised the price of my breakfast (well, everyone's breakfast, I guess) from $8.18 to $8.74 (local sales tax included). The content of the breakfast didn't change. By some players' definition, my favorite restaurant has scammed me. I no longer get the same value for my money. How silly of me to just accept that "stuff changes" rather than throwing a tantrum.

Offering less value for the same or higher price is a ripoff. It's not up to debate.

What exactly are you getting less of? The only thing I see missing is cartel certs. The stupid exp boosts aren't missed. 2 items, scrap and a gift. The market has decided they prefer a cube to one of a tiny pool of bronze items (or indeed any silver item other than a classic vibrosword).

I agree it's plausible ... if by "laments and whines" you mean "floods the forums with multiple rant threads complaining how unfair it is that EA/BW changed the feature they wanted changed before they could profit from it."

I recently learned that the restaurant where I eat breakfast everyday raised the price of my breakfast (well, everyone's breakfast, I guess) from $8.18 to $8.74 (local sales tax included). The content of the breakfast didn't change. By some players' definition, my favorite restaurant has scammed me. I no longer get the same value for my money. How silly of me to just accept that "stuff changes" rather than throwing a tantrum.

in fairness it's a lot easier to see rising costs with breakfest for people then in a video game. cause "Pixals are free!" nevermind that people need to program those pixals.

Food is vital to life unlike cartel packs which are luxury items.

Anyone who missed this delicious bit of negative press for the game can find it here: http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/23/hyperspace-beacon-an-open-letter-to-the-creators-of-the-swtor-cartel-packs/

So - Eric - will we get an actual response to the negative feedback on the packs now, or will you continue to gloss over it like you did in the last Producer's Live Stream?

:jawa_cool:

someone is abusing their position as a journalist to make an opinion, his opinion is no different from mine or anyone elses, get in line.

Anyone who missed this delicious bit of negative press for the game can find it here: http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/23/hyperspace-beacon-an-open-letter-to-the-creators-of-the-swtor-cartel-packs/

So - Eric - will we get an actual response to the negative feedback on the packs now, or will you continue to gloss over it like you did in the last Producer's Live Stream?

:jawa_cool:

So reading through the thread, and all the various discussion, I'd just like to point out that, no matter what one thinks of the guy that wrote the article, the intent of this post wasn't to primarily call attention to it's existence, but as some sort sort of "gotcha", like BW had made the front page on the NY Times, or London Times, or Sydney Times, pick your poison.

The OP really thought he had that "slap in the face" to BW's pack, only to find out that some of us had never heard of the guy, so it wasn't the MASSIVE slap in the face he thought it was. Intent is everything, and the OP's intention was to make this into an "earth shattering event of MASSIVE proportions" and it's really just a drop in a very large bucket. Sorry OP, this one blog on a single site isn't really the MASSIVE *****slap you were looking for.

PC gamer magazine would be press. This is just a blog some nobody wrote.

^This.

It just comes across as rather obvious whinge ... "wah wah I didn't get a saber and they're too expensive". Heck he spends time talking about how expensive the item is as though that's Bioware's fault it's so popular that it sells for this much.

I just sold a Revan Reborn armour set for more ... where is the article about that? You have less chance of that dropping now than you do the saber.

Whingers gotta whinge though.

I don't understand how Everret's piece was even considered journalism at all. It's commentary. It was published on an MMO site as commentary. It's NOT hard news. So lay off with that discussion about what is and what isn't. He posted his commentary "opinion" about how he feels about the current game state. That's all. No more, no less.

First of all: A+- To crafting changes, even though there are bugs. Great change and happy to receive them.

That said, I believe that he was being totally nice about what we are feeling as the community. I understand that you have to be somewhat reserved with negative commentary to be taken seriously. I do this myself. You also have to put yourselves in the producers, devs, and everyone else involved* on the other side's shoes too. I try to give credit where credit is due, as often as possible.

If you are an objective commentator, you have to weigh all sides. In this case, I think he could have gone further about the combat/game play issues Chapter X.

Chapter X was annoying and outright just ridiculous with the way they scripted the playability. It's as if they wanted to extend playability time by stunning you, or slowing you, or anything else they could figure out to extend the chapter in minutes.

Story was good, game play was horrible.

* Except Eric Musco. I am going to playfully call him out every chance I get, because everyone blames everything on him. I might as well do the same, jokingly. :) Oh and Eric: Tell Tait I like him more than you. Because: reasons. :-P

Edited by btmart