My honest assessment of the game

Sarfux

OP pretty much nailed it.

TL;DR: The shameless cost-cutting is false economy. Even ardent fan-boys get bored and jaded if they're not being entertained. Several game modes are in over-long holding pattern. Recycling old content is £$%^£$^% lame. Epic star wars is watered down to save a few dollars, and 30-40 minutes of story per month (just to regain what you originally had) doesn't bode well for longevity.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good read Sarflux. Id like to give my opinion on each aspect of the game that concerns me, in your format.

Story - 7.5

Personally I think they are doing a decent job here, and this is the cornerstone of the game. Level sync has thrown a wrench in a few bits here and there, and there are some problems with how they are "filling out" the episodic content with forced combat, but overall I think the setup is good.

Cartel Market - 7

They are doing well in some ways, and stumbling in others IMO. The collapse of categories and the ability to search were great changes, and many of the new designs (including reskins) are very good IMO.

The armor with mods remains, though they should have been converted to collectible zero stat armor by now...especially with level sync and the appearance system in place. Also, the current makeup of packs with the chance cubes does not seem very popular. Would have been better to simply add the chance cube to every pack, but keep the packs as they were otherwise IMO.

Also, the game needs a REPEATABLE way to earn CC in game other than achievements. Even if it is a tiny amount.

Random events - 5

Some events are good, others should be permanent parts of the game (bounties should be for BH only, and class specific events, including smuggling missions, should be added IMO. Missions you can run for the Jedi or Sith orders that would allow titles you cant get normally (darth/lord for jedi and visa versa). Also, the Nightlife event should be a game feature instead of an event.

Also, completely random events, like invasions are non-existent. This game needs things "shaked up" once in a while, and it would be nice to see city invasions sometimes.

Quality of Life - 8

Good job here, but a few changes still need to be made.

For speeder travel (point to point) I would suggest an instant travel option through legacy, makeb or QT style.

Also, the planet landing sequences and take-offs need to be remade to match those redone with the expansions/strongholds. And a pass should be made on planet landings, since some of them are pretty silly with "ship to station to shuttle to station to exit". After the story playthrough a player should simply be placed in the ground station at the least.

One could add an option to the space station from the ground station if needed, much like one can shuttle directly to their ship from the ground. This should be an option both ways.

Galactic Starfighter - 5

Needs to be redesigned IMO. First, should be more twitch based with controller support. Second, should have a BF format, with the ability to fight on foot using a generic combat toon on capital ships, and those ships should have control and destruction points as well as turrets. Player ships should be added to the game with turrets that can be manned by other players, so you can go into GSF as a group to play.

Also, hangars should be set up like strongholds, with all of the stronghold abilities, including decoration options.

PVE space combat system - 4

This needs to be redesigned to allow group play (either by players in their own starships, or on your ship manning turrets and making repairs). The leveling system should also be separate from the game leveling system IMO, and you should level up your ship the same way you level in the normal game...in other words its own separate leveling game with an active level sync system.

Crafting - 6

Crafting is now a hot mess IMO. The way it was before level 9 mats were introduced was bad enough, but the gathering on Yavin made it acceptable IMO. It worked as it was, but needed quite a bit of work before it was expanded.

This latest change made it a mess IMO. It was not the right time to introduce a new level 9 mat. Instead, the mods and items should have been added, and the material level should have remained as it was.

I think they should pull the new mat, change it back to level 8, convert all mats on Zakuul to 8 for now, and keep everything else in place. Later they can change mats on Zakuul to 9 when they intend to raise the level cap.

Appearance - 7.5

The system is great, but the appearance kiosk still requires cartel coins, when it should offer credit options as well. Also, not enough options available for tattoos, orange eyes still missing from the mix.

We also should have our choice of three different outfits when we roll a new toon IMO....and height options should be added as well.

Finally, items should be added to the Cartel Market that allow us to take on the appearance of a Jawa, Wookie, etc out of combat. Entering into combat would, of course, dispel the appearance buff.

Strongholds - 6.5

For strongholds, a legacy credit bank would be a good idea IMO. So would a stronghold priority mission terminal, crafting/repair droid and a rep vendor. Also, smaller one or two room strongholds should be offered as options, especially for other planets that do not currently have a stronghold, and there should be a few more decoration options added...

Wall and floor colors and textures, lighting, etc.

Large hook layouts that allow decoration items to overlap, and the ability to move decorations vertically inside hooks.

Heroics - 7

A pass on heroics needs to be made. A great post covering almost all of the problems is HERE.

Companions - 7

Companions have lost a bit of their fun factor with the removal of companion specific abilities....like Blizz and his large cannon animation, Lokin with his rakghoul transformation, HK and assassinate, etc. Also, we lost the ability to set the bar in a vertical position. We should have the vertical bar restored, and a single unique ability should be added to each companion (or returned in some cases) that can be used regardless of role chosen.

Level Sync - 6

Level sync should be percentage based, and should reduce ALL stats, including secondary and tertiary stats by a percentage based on downlevel. This way buffs and abilities would work properly, and also stats would be more consistent....no more stacking unaffected stats. Perhaps a reduction of 1 percent or so per level reduction. Influence would remain unaffected.

Also, I think that the maximum level allowed should be boosted by one level across the board, and the ability to further reduce yourself by THREE or FOUR more levels should be added as a toggle. The would provide a "hard mode" setting for those that desire it.

Finally, aggro range should be based on actual level, not level sync level, or should be reduced substantially as you overlevel current mob levels, so maximum level sync level is almost equal to grey mob aggro prior to level sync implementation.

These changes would make the system almost perfect IMO.

Just my views, I think the changes listed here would improve the game immensely.

Edited by LordArtemis

A single line of dialog doesn't compare to the entire planet of Odessan being multi-faction.

Well, your post shows that many lines of dialogue have been missed. Your post also shows no connection to the assertion that the republic and the empire no longer exist in Kotfe.

They do.

They dialogue proves that they still exist.

They dialogue also exists that they are still fighting each other.

The dialogue also shows that not everyone is as interested in joining your alliance.

Holy geeze...do people even pay attention to dialogue anymore?!

Well, your post shows that many lines of dialogue have been missed. Your post also shows no connection to the assertion that the republic and the empire no longer exist in Kotfe.

They do.

The dialogue also shows that not everyone is as interested in joining your alliance.

Sorry, but optional dialogue isn't going to cut it when everything in this game vanilla revolved around war between The Empire and The Republic.

They do.

Dialog happens ONCE...the fact that there's Imps working with Pubs on Yavin and now Odessan speaks volumes more than a few lines that try to pretend there's still conflict...because obviously that's no longer the "norm". A tiny skirmish here or there doesn't compare to day after day of solid cooperation.

Dialog happens ONCE...the fact that there's Imps working with Pubs on Yavin and now Odessan speaks volumes more than a few lines that try to pretend there's still conflict...because obviously that's no longer the "norm". A tiny skirmish here or there doesn't compare to day after day of solid cooperation.

There is no Imp/Pub Conflict. They are only just playing lazer tag with each other.

Sorry, but optional dialogue isn't going to cut it when everything in this game vanilla revolved around war between The Empire and The Republic.

Wow. You two are blowing my mind.

Peter:

Regardless of how you perceive the dialogue.... It explains the state of the galaxy you left for 5 years. Your stuck on the way it was presented to the player. That is completely inconsequential to the main point. The argument presented within this thread was the the republic and the empire don't exist in kotfe. That's blatantly false. Whether it's optional dialogue or 20 minutes of cinematic to show you visually, that dialogue proves beyond any doubt that the republic and empire are still fighting each other in Kotfe, and that they are very much still in existence (instead of destroying the gov'ts, they pay tribute to continue to exist to Arcann...and it's even said that they are still too interested in wasting their resources fighting each other). So honestly...I mean...wow. If we believe what your post asserts, then...we're just blatantly ignoring what the game has told us. Just incredible. CUCUMBER TASTE BETTER PICKLED! AHH WHAT ARE YOU EVEN ARGUING!? You say in your post that the republic and empire are still fighting, the optional dialogue says that they are still fighting! WHAT IS GOING ON

Tux:

Same thing in a way. It is inconsequential how much dialogue it was, or if it was optional. It's there. It's within the written game. It's not some conspiracy theory from reddit. The lines of dialogue plainly state that not everyone is interested in joining the alliance you've created to fight Zakuul....so saying that imps and pubs are working together literally doesn't do anything for your argument. I mean...let's take Yavin...did you miss the entire end cut scene of SOR?! Your truce ends, and you all fly your separate ways. Did you pay attention to your conversations with Lana or Theron there? You know the ones where they say (in summation) that hey we're back at war again, our alliance is over, if I see you out there I'll try to basically ignore what I can?

And...both of you equally reinforce the idea that people should pay attention to the story more! My brain is literally hurting.

Edited by Shwarzchild

We saw the Dark Council once, and only if you were Sith. Obviously the dark council never existed. :rolleyes:

Wow. You two are blowing my mind.

Whether it's optional dialogue or 20 minutes of cinematic to show you visually, that dialogue proves beyond any doubt that the republic and empire are still fighting each other in Kotfe.

And...both of you equally reinforce the idea that people should pay attention to the story more! My brain is literally hurting.

20 minutes of cut scenes showing the brutality of the war between the republic and the empire is 100000x better than a glossed over dialogue. The famous rule in writing is to show, don't tell, and there breaking that in this instance.

I would rather see 20 minutes of a cut scene that shows the bombarding of a civilian population just because a suspected spy of the empire is there. The Republic is known usually to be the "hero" so to speak of the two, although both have there dark secrets, but seeing The Republic down a civilian population would show how desperate they truly are to get revenge on the Empire for the Sacking Of Coruscant.

I know this may not be the best example here, but it came off from the top of my head, and its still better than a dialogue. The reason I am so concerned about the dialogue however, is because, if you don't pick that EXACT choice, you would NEVER KNOW what's going on. The Empire... and The Republic are both major factors in your life, I'm sure you want to know everything about them you can seeing as you been gone for 5 years.

Another problem is how it seems ... contradictory... in the story... of how much Zakuul is a problem. You return to Alderaan and you hear all the houses are going at it as usual, not only that, but Zakuul is actually filming the battles and the local populace actually watches it. Yet, when you explore the world, NOTHING CHANGES, ABSOUTELY NOTHING. You can't keep telling me such and such happens, yet you never show it.

NEVER have important plot points be optional... and please... don't tell ... show.

Visually seeing something is different than it being specifically told to you. Yes, there are illusions and such, but its easier to tell a lie than show one.

Just because you don't agree with the way it's been spelled out to the player within Kotfe that yes the republic and sith empire still exist; that they are still fighting each other; and that not everyone agrees with your alliance doesn't make the fact that those lines of dialogue end up do anything other than discredit the position stated within this thread that the republic and empire don't exist anymore, or that they are no longer fighting each other!

Argument was: Sith and Republic don't exist anymore, and they aren't fighting each other still.

Dialogue states otherwise.

---Literally game over on that argument. Argument proven false.

Basically, by your account, if it was a cut scene you'd say yes the two factions still are alive, and they are still fighting, and that not everyone is interested in joining your alliance. But, since it's dialogue that is optional, it's a lie being told to you by probably your most loyal team member in kotfe. Yeah that makes tons of sense. The game is a lie people! Move along!

Edited by Shwarzchild

Just because you don't agree with the way it's been spelled out to the player within Kotfe that yes the republic and sith empire still exist; that they are still fighting each other; and that not everyone agrees with your alliance doesn't make the fact that those lines of dialogue end up discredited the position stated within this thread that the republic and empire don't exist anymore, or that they are no longer fighting each other!

!

When did I mention that just because its mentioned in a optional dialogue means its not really happening? All I'm saying is they done a crap job trying to emphasize that The Empire and The republic are still going at it and there are better ways to do so.

Basically, by your account, if it was a cut scene you'd say yes the two factions still are alive, and they are still fighting, and that not everyone is interested in joining your alliance. But, since it's dialogue that is optional, it's a lie being told to you by probably your most loyal team member in kotfe. Yeah that makes tons of sense. The game is a lie people! Move along!

And for the love of the force, there isn't really a need to always be like this when trying to prove a point. You can state your point without insults/bashing/being a smart alec.

Edited by peter_plankskull

What was this dialogue exactly - verbatim?

I'd have to replay up to the gravestone portion to get you the exact lines of dialogue. I don't forsee me being able to get you that in the immediate term. But, suffice to say if a summary is acceptable:

During your mission to get fresh water and whatever else while Koth fixes up the Gravestone, you have options to ask her about the state of the galaxy where she then goes on to tell you everything I've said in previous posts. You also get more dialogue with the star fortress quest line I think (but I'm not 100 percent sure there. I feel like I remember dialogue pointed to the republic and empire not wanting to join en mass). When I did the quest originally those lines stuck with me for some reason, or else I would have forgotten them completely.

I'd have to replay up to the gravestone portion to get you the exact lines of dialogue. I don't forsee me being able to get you that in the immediate term. But, suffice to say if a summary is acceptable:

During your mission to get fresh water and whatever else while Koth fixes up the Gravestone, you have options to ask her about the state of the galaxy where she then goes on to tell you everything I've said in previous posts. You also get more dialogue with the star fortress quest line I think (but I'm not 100 percent sure there. I feel like I remember dialogue pointed to the republic and empire not wanting to join en mass). When I did the quest originally those lines stuck with me for some reason, or else I would have forgotten them completely.

Well you're kind of calling people out here so the burden of proof is on you to at least quote the source verbatim and not send people back to replay through content just to check exactly what was said and how it supports your argument.

For example all I remember is the implication that the sith empire and republic still exist in the concept they are more or less indecently governed but are nothing more than vassal states of the eternal empire.

Now it may very well mention something to back up their "conflict" but I personally don't remember this and it sounds like you don't either so I think your best bet if you're going to "slam dunk" other posters arguments is to put up your facts first and not expect others to do the work for you.

Edit: Also I wasn't posting originally to state I didn't believe you, I just wanted to see if it was indeed open to interpretation as I don't recall it either but you seemed so sure of yourself I assumed you would have it directly posted for others to critique.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

Bioware caters far too much to PVPers. Try to explore unmapped areas? You will be flagged in 10 seconds. Have a damaging ability like OS? Nerfed to hell. PVP griefer deliberately gets in the way of your AOE against mobs? You're dead due to not wearing PVP gear. They seem to have the mindset that PVErs are wimps and it's never a good idea to insult your players.

Heroic moment abilities should be uninterruptible, as should Ravage (this has been left unfixed since game start). It's ridiculous to start force choking a boss only for him to force choke you back.

The recent over reliance on elite/champion bosses shielding themselves while adds appear is lazy and poor design. Our companion keeps attacking the shielded boss while the adds attack us, which doesn't trigger the usual companion response of attacking whoever attacked you.

The Star Fortress bosses spam adds/interrupts/knockbacks far too often. This is incompetent design. You should not be copying failed MMOs like DCUO.

Well you're kind of calling people out here so the burden of proof is on you to at least quote the source verbatim and not send people back to replay through content just to check exactly what was said and how it supports your argument.

For example all I remember is the implication that the sith empire and republic still exist in the concept they are more or less indecently governed but are nothing more than vassal states of the eternal empire.

Now it may very well mention something to back up their "conflict" but I personally don't remember this and it sounds like you don't either so I think your best bet if you're going to "slam dunk" other posters arguments is to put up your facts first and not expect others to do the work for you.

Edit: Also I wasn't posting originally to state I didn't believe you, I just wanted to see if it was indeed open to interpretation as I don't recall it either but you seemed so sure of yourself I assumed you would have it directly posted for others to critique.

The members of the dark council fought Arcann’s invasion ruthlessly – and lost. The Empire’s treaty was ultimately negotiated by the Minister of Logistics. Chancellor Sarseh also refused to discuss surrender, but the Republic Senate managed to overrule her. A cadre of Senators negotiated their own cease fire terms….So far the treaties with Zakuul have held. But that will not last forever…Both sides are forced to pay a heavy tribute to Zakuul, mainly raw materials and resources. They are also held under an arms limitation statute. The empire and republic are both breaking it of course, but they’re still incapable of challenging the Throne directly…Both sides see this only as an opportunity to eliminate one another at a time of weakness instead of combining what strength they have…Arcann does nothing to prevent violence between them so long as their tribute is paid and no one challenges Zakuul’s superiority. I’m surprised Arcann didn’t try to destroy both governments. He obviously had the firepower. I don’t think Arcann feels any desire to actually govern our portion of the galaxy. For now, he sees it as a backwater, useful only for resources.

Go to 1:03:30 to 1:04:35

Now now guys, keep this civil please. This isn't a complete negative thing where all we do is criticize here. It's meant to tell you what MY assessment of the game is, while remaining civil, and not going all down on everything. Don't start the bickering. Please, it's not worth it :)

Hey Sarfux :)

I see you put in a lot of thought and care into your assessment, and applaud your honesty for laying yourself out there for all to see. This place can sometimes get pretty harsh, though I like to think it has improved over time. :)

I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying.

Story: 1-50 That is the most amazing gaming experience I've had, and honestly even now, years later, it doesn't get old. I'm a bit of an altoholic and most of the time it's so I can enjoy the earlier worlds. Not sure what it is about them that make them so fun, but I just love Korriban and Dromund Kaas in particular. I love the companion stories as well as the class stories. I'm hungry for more of this experience honestly. I'm sad that it appears we'll never have it again.

50-55 I was excited about Makeb, a beautiful and unique world, the promise of interacting with Hutts...I would love to play as a hutt but I digress. What I hated was how after experiencing 8 class stories it was suddenly funnelled into 2, one for each side. Not to mention the planet is horrid for getting around on, and the mobs early on were so horridly placed that I just hated going there. I tend to lose interest when it comes time to go back to Makeb.

55-60 Now, for me, SoR really kicked things up a notch. I loved it. I loved the Rishi experience in particular and so much care was put into the story. I think what also helped was the one quest for each class, that made it a bit more of a unique experience and was enough to get me to play on. I enjoyed Yavin, and I also liked that finally I was able to solo through the group FP's that I wasnt' able to experience before. That made it truly spectacular for me. I loved my Combat Buddy Bot. :D I finally got that feeling that I was no longer missing out, because I play mostly solo, or with my hubby.

60-65 Here is where I agree with you most of all Sarfux. I was really excited about KotFE. And the first few times through, I had a blast. I loved the cutscreen movies. Spending time with Marr was a high point for me, and also with the Emperor. But then after my fourth time through it, I started skipping and spacing through parts to go faster. The enchantment was wearing off. I still plan on taking my four other mains through it, but not for a very long time. I also don't see how our choices are really of importance, the differences aren't significant enough...yet. I also wish we could choose not to have certain comps, or outright kill them, *coughKaliyocough*

I wasn't sure I'd like the level sync...and outside of the Heroics, I hate it. I hate that when I go somewhere every stupid mob attacks or agros on me. If there was a way they could just restrict the scaling to the heroics only, not the entire planet, I think that would be ideal. I'm just not sure how difficult it would be to do that for each planet. I expect it would be very labour intensive.

The other thing I don't like in KotFE is the one sided 'classic' conversation parts. I have no doubt in my mind that they're 'testing us' to see if we'll go for that, and if we do, they'll start cheaping out, and we'll never hear our toon speak to anyone again. We'll be relegated to standing there like a dunce and taking orders. Sure we might get more response options, but I'd rather have full conversations, and I hope at very least, they'll continue giving us fully voiced convos for the story parts.

Cartel Market: I feel the quality of the CM is deteriorating more and more, and it will continue to do so, so long as we keep buying into the SH*I* T they're shovelling at us. There is just no kinder way of stating this. I'm calling it for what it is. It was already ridiculously hard to acquire some of the rarer items, but now the best things, drop so infrequently that you'd have to be a billionaire to hope to acquire things. I don't mind working and grinding for my items, but a 35 to 50 Million dollar lightsaber is beyond my realm of achievement. I'm not going to grind money for over a month. I'm actually disgusted that weapons used to be the trash of the Cartel Packs until they actually come out with something interesting...They need to reinstate the Cartel market certificate, and increase the drop rate on the rarer items, so people might have a hope in hell of acquiring them sometimes. Things like companion pets should be available to buy outright. I'd like a nexu, I'd like an akk dog...but I'll never have one. I just don't have the time to grind that much money. The cartel market right now, as it is, is GARBAGE.

Random Events: I have to disagree with you here Sarfux...I'd like to have a calendar with planned events...events we can count on...I'd have one week be BH, next week Rakghouls, next week Gree and so on. I think there is room for special random events, but they'd have to make those...and I think it would be great if a GM was assigned to log in each week at certain times to host little mini events for us, for a few nice prizes. That way both our needs would be met I think.

Ops, WZ and GS...I have zero interest in any of these things personally, so I won't bother to comment.

QoL...I think they've been trying to do things here and there for QoL that I appreciate. I especially like that they gave us more freedom in moving our decorations around from 10 clicks to 20. Ideally I'd like to see 30.

Strongholds: I love them, more please. I need a tropical vacation getaway. I can't afford it in real life, so I want to live vicariously through my toon. :D I appreciate we can have 5 soon too. I'd like the max to go up further still when new ones come out.

Heroics: I like to be able to solo through them to see the story. I don't care about rewards, just the story. So drop me a combat buddy, and away I go to experience it.

Comps: I want to be able to change the appearances of our new comps. Seeing 20 Lanas, or Therons, or Nikos all dressed the same is disconcerting.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else atm...kudos to anyone who bothered to read this lol. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Bioware caters far too much to PVPers. Try to explore unmapped areas? You will be flagged in 10 seconds. Have a damaging ability like OS? Nerfed to hell. PVP griefer deliberately gets in the way of your AOE against mobs? You're dead due to not wearing PVP gear. They seem to have the mindset that PVErs are wimps and it's never a good idea to insult your players.

is this a joke?

PvP is horribly neglected, imbalanced and nobody plays it. the PvP servers are all dead.

you only get auto flagged in like two areas in the entire game. so youre wrong.

furthermore a flagged played standing in your aoe does nothing. so you're wrong yet again.

Arcann does nothing to prevent violence between them so long as their tribute is paid and no one challenges Zakuul’s superiority.

Hopefully they explore some of this violence then because besides that off the cuff statement by Lana then there has been nothing to even explore this angle further ... nothing to mention all out warfare etc. as we experienced earlier on.

The other annoying part of all that is the "backwater" comment as though zakuul is so superior ... I think this is where the story lets me down because it's hard to view it as anything close to being superior in a fashion that would warrant the empire/republic to be coined as a backwater. Abut the only thing we see storywise is the eternal fleet and the gravestone that can defeat it except it won't do that right now ... no ... we need to grind an alliance full of people who can't defeat the eternal empire or their fleet anyway first. That has annoyed me somewhat.

Also it's not that I'm offended by the backwater comment but more let down that Bioware didn't develop or demonstrate the eternal empire or zakuul as indeed being superior to give me any "wow" moments in comparison.