The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The debate about needing for companions.....

Thatcrazypenguin

Then why don't you go to a flashpoint with your Khem ? Let he tank insted of Juggernout who REALY needed that heavy armor you just ninjaed.

And how do you remember all the stats of all the gear all your companions wear ?

Players before pets. You want loot for pet you push greed or ask if you can need it for pet. Simple as that.

Obviously not. Look at all the threads and differing opinions. :rolleyes:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why need at all?,, ppl just missuse it,, why cant they just have an need or pass system?... u see 2 ppl in group greed,, u greed.. last person needs on an item 6 lvls below his own.... this happens all the time...

im gonna stop greeding or passing for stuff,, i will only need from now on

Mhmm do it once and you're done. I promise you will never group with me again nor would I tank for you again. I have no issue booting idiots from my groups, nor simply recalling out of an instance if i realize I'm in a douchebags group. Bad rep flows aruond a server sir remember that. Toodles.

That you never under any circumstances need for a companion if there is someone in your group that actually needs it should be common sence and it's a crying shame that people don't seem to get it. You are ninjas in my book, and if you do it on a run with me you will be kicked and put on my ignore-lists. I'm done suffering ninjas, I really am.

The problem can be solved with a bit of help from Bioware with a system similar to WoWs. To begin with, you can only need on an item you can use (you can make it really fine grained by saying only for main-spec, but that's less important). Needing an item will bind it to you. There will be a second 'need for companion' button. This will also bind the item for you. There should also be the greed, pass, and reverse-engineer buttons that do the standard things.

need > need for companion > greed = reverse engineer > pass.

Problem solved. Of course the tank should never need for a dps-piece and vice versa, unless no dps or tank actually needs the intended piece.

This is plain clear etiquette and common sence. I honestly don't see why people are defending any other position.

Of course you need to gear your companions and it's even ok to run flashpoints to do so, but you must accept that a main character 'always' has priorty over your companions.... they are slaves after all.

Mhmm do it once and you're done. I promise you will never group with me again nor would I tank for you again. I have no issue booting idiots from my groups, nor simply recalling out of an instance if i realize I'm in a douchebags group. Bad rep flows aruond a server sir remember that. Toodles.

Exactly. Even people who think that it is ok to need for companions will get pissed when they are the ones missing out on badly needed lot they just spent time to get.

so many people are stuck in the stone age on this topic. Telling people they have no right to need on gear for their companion is the same as telling them they can't roll need on a pair of gloves or other item they can use and will need oitside of the instance.

I'm not talkin about lootin for alts or lootin just to sell. I'm talkin about lootin to gear out the companion that you use and rely on outside of group play. Your companion is part of your character and the game is balanced with companion characters in mind.

Despite its similarities this game does have some uniqueness from other major mmos and this is perhaps the biggest. Every player has a companion that is needed when not in a full group and they have a right to roll for quality gear for it.

NO that is wrong.

It's fine to need if NO ONE ELSE NEEDS IT FOR THEMSELVES. However hitting NEED when someone actually NEEDS it is WRONG.

It is very selfish not to mention everyone gets companions and by YOUR logic EVERYONE should NEED on everything then.

NEED ONLY IF NO ONE ELSE NEEDS IT

Totally agree

Loot falls from the sky in this game, orange items can be purchased from vendors as well as Flashpoint drops and can be upgraded to be on par with anything that drops. Levels 1-49 needing for companions makes perfect sense, and all of the players that act like the 'main' character is somehow different than companions are not adapting with the times.

FYI, I've done Flashpoints with companions, because they have decent gear and can DPS for me. I've done it with random players who also needed for companions without anyone whining or complaining. The loot dictators are not as numerous as they think.

The first time I lose an item that I need to Khem Val (or another companion), I'm going to boot you from the group and /ignore. Then I'm going to tell all the other tanks I know how you operate, and encourage them to tell other tanks they know.

And in six months, you'll be crying for cross server LFG because every decent tank on the server has you on /ignore.

Think about it.

All you people mad yelling at the OP and anyone who defends him, calm down, again I'll keep saying this isn't WoW til you all listen. Bioware made this game 90% solo-able so yes, in order to progress through this game with your companions they will need upgraded items/weapons/gear.

The OP didn't get on here and say he's rolling need on anything and everything, but if it helps with the companion (Which helps you) then u should roll, again, just communicate, be adults (Which for most of you is hard being whiny little teenagers) but if it's that big of a deal just ask before...are we still discussing this? :confused:

I think the op and other "protectors of the companion rights coalition" are missing the point that other people are investing their time to run the instance.

If you want gear for your companion run it by yourself. You talk about other systems but that isnt the point. The point is still that people are putting their time and effort into the run.

I dont care if this game is unique because it has companions, if they are not in the instance then they do not have priority.

Yo keep saying others dont get it but we do, you dont get that although your companions may be important in your solo game they should not supercede real players. It comes down to community etiquette and common courtesy. If you have niether of these then bless your heart, your poor mother must have failed in your upbringing.

If you are not willing to openly let people know you will be rolling need for your companions before the run starts then you are a coward and know what you are doing is wrong. I have no issues with you rolling need for your companions if you say so before the run starts and everyone has a chance to boot you or leave.

All you people mad yelling at the OP and anyone who defends him, calm down, again I'll keep saying this isn't WoW til you all listen. Bioware made this game 90% solo-able so yes, in order to progress through this game with your companions they will need upgraded items/weapons/gear.

The OP didn't get on here and say he's rolling need on anything and everything, but if it helps with the companion (Which helps you) then u should roll, again, just communicate, be adults (Which for most of you is hard being whiny little teenagers) but if it's that big of a deal just ask before...are we still discussing this? :confused:

Because a lot of people don't intend to communicate before the run starts. That's why it's still being "discussed".

And I agree with the following; If the companion is in the instance, contributing, definitely roll for gear for that companion.

But rolling for gear for a companion you aren't using is bad form.

so many people are stuck in the stone age on this topic. Telling people they have no right to need on gear for their companion is the same as telling them they can't roll need on a pair of gloves or other item they can use and will need oitside of the instance.

I'm not talkin about lootin for alts or lootin just to sell. I'm talkin about lootin to gear out the companion that you use and rely on outside of group play. Your companion is part of your character and the game is balanced with companion characters in mind.

Despite its similarities this game does have some uniqueness from other major mmos and this is perhaps the biggest. Every player has a companion that is needed when not in a full group and they have a right to roll for quality gear for it.

The game is not balanced with companion characters in mind. Sorry.

Instances and Warzones(What MMOs are ACTUALLY balanced around) are usually what a player devotes themselves to, and neither of those involve companions in the slightest.

Companions should not get the same loot priority as players. They should, however, get some other option( As in Need, Greed, Companion), that is in between the 2 that players could roll on.

Nope sorry, but unless no one esle needs it, you should NOT need it for a companion. Unless you asked. If players do this, well, they deserve all the punishment coming to them.

I will punt them from my groups and put them on a /ignore if they need for a companion without checking to see if any real person needed for an upgrade first. And honestly I don't care how much of an upgrade it would be for a real person.

Call me a companion racist if you want idk.

My opinion? If no one else in the group needs the item (like a rifle drops and no rifle users are there/need it) then go ahead. However if you as a jedi need a rifle for yourself when that vanguard just tanked the entire instance for you, not only will I kick you but I'll inform everyone everytime I see you about your status as a ninja looter. I'll also never join a group you're in and will inform group leaders that you ninja loot.

If I'm in a group with another player, and we each have a companion present, and all four of those characters (two player characters and two companions, in this case) participate in a battle where an item drops, I am perfectly fine with any single one of them receiving it as an upgrade if needed.

You know, on some of the more difficult encounters I can honestly question whether or not we would beat that encounter if not for our companions doing something important like tanking the mob. So why would I pretend they don't count when it comes to distributing loot?

Of course, I am not talking about companions that didn't participate in the fight. Rolling "need" for them is just silly, as they didn't participate in the victory.

Edited by Apax