The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The debate about needing for companions.....

Thatcrazypenguin

So then I should be able to roll need for my alts as well since they aren't helping with the group quest. Looks like you are just trying to justify your own poor behavior. This has nothing to do with WoW. If the companion is part of the group, then I might agree with you. If they are not actively helping with the group's objectives then it is just as valid as me rolling need for alts items. I know, you will say there is a difference, but there really isn't.

read my last post :p

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense but I couldn't care less, if you ask people that your never going to get a group because a lot of people don't like competition for loot as it is, my conciense is clear and my reasons are just. thats all I need :)

That's okay, but not asking beforehand is going to lead to kicks and a bad server rep as a possibility. But like I said, to each his own, I can't change the way you think nor should I want to do so.

If this were true you wouldn't have felt the need to post here. You were looking for a massive amount of agreement and you didn't get it. Oh well.

not really I was just trying to create some discussion, isnt that what forums are for? (its amazing how many conspiracy nuts come out telling you all about yourself when you dare to post something that causes debate) haha

Sorta on the fence about this... I mean I'm body guard spec so I rely VERY heavily on my companion to do damage for me ... that being said I would feel like a bit of a jerk if I "needed" on something that another player genuinely needed. I think greens - who cares, blues - ask, purples - only if people pass and again - ask first.

While leveling, it's really a non issue to be honest, however once we near the level cap, it becomes more and more important.

Edited by cryage

"Hey, <Imperial Agent(s) Name(s)>, my Mako uses cunning gear like you, so anything that you pass/greed on, I may need on for her. If she doesn't need it, I'll greed/pass like everyone else. Feel free to roll for loot your companions need after the main player class, too."

Is there a problem with starting out a FP like that? As a tank, I get to set rules for FPs as part of the whole "ego" routine we tanks apparently use :rolleyes:

Unless I am with guild mates - I will 100% roll need on anything any of my companions can use as an upgrade.

Don't like it? I rolled empire and im PURE evil. Don't ruin my RP bro!

I imagine there will be many future posts from people like you complaining that they can't find groups and the game is broken unless there's a cross server lfg. Feel free to roll need against me so your 'pet' can look cool. It'll only happen once thanks to /ignore...

I think it's ridiculous to lobby for needing items for companions over fellow players. There are other human beings in your group who need gear. They should always take precedence over your companion. For heaven's sake, where does the sense of entitlement end? Show a little sportsmanship, ffs.

If I lost a need roll because of a companion I would flame you for being a newb. This is a rediculous topic. Gear your pet with crap you craft or get it elsewhere or roll if nobody else needs.

I know there will still be fools that do it anyways... just be prepared to be yelled at by people because I would say most will rage at you.

This is why I will not even run with randoms because of this type of foolish logic.. truly laughable.

I totally agree with need for comapnions BUT I do think its only fair to let mains have first dibs, and then if noone is rolling for it, then roll need for a companion.

It only takes a bit of communication.

'OK Im needing that for my companion if noone wants it for their character'.

Sayign that, I wouldnt even be too put out if someone did just ninja roll for a comapanion, especially with SWTOR because its not like gear is thin on the ground in this game is it?

I think the important thing is for the team to be clear what the ethic about itms for companions before the run. A.some people may decide to leave the team if it isn't the way they like it...which is cool....more important to me is knowing how the team is going to react so I can tailor my response...as a rule I pass on stuff that the toon I am running can't use,...... However I don't want to hit pass through the run and then have a trooper or such go need on the dublebladed light saber that I am looking for and can use.....bottom one if you ae going to Need forbgear you can't use for the character running with me.....then tell me in advance so I can do the same.....don't ninja at the end and say it's for my companion whenbibpassed on all the heavy armor for your toon....

Unless I am with guild mates - I will 100% roll need on anything any of my companions can use as an upgrade.

Don't like it? I rolled empire and im PURE evil. Don't ruin my RP bro!

you like getting kicked from groups don't you? keep having that atitude and eventually you will get a bad rep and NO ONE will want to group with you but let me guess... "You don't care" right?

Don't really care either way; I will 'need' whenever I think it's appropriate. I don't pay 13 euros a month to let some random chumps on the internet decide the rules by which I play. They can tell me what items I should vote to get when they're paying my sub, and not a quarter of a second sooner. (:

I'm not hacking/exploiting so I don't see a prob. Deal with it, etc. (:

Edited by BrainSplatter

exactly need if you need, you don't decide the rules by which I play the game, don't like, I don't care, people set up their own rules to ensure only they get gear, and cry about losing to someone else,

and only get their holier than thou attitude when it is something they don't want, and decide for you that you should give that to someone else, its better for their class/spec whatever, you don't really need it.........

let the roll decide, not your self created "rules", nothing in this game is "yours", deal with it

Don't really care either way; I will 'need' whenever I think it's appropriate. I don't pay 13 euros a month to let some random chumps on the internet decide the rules by which I play. They can tell me what items I should vote to get when they're paying my sub, and not a quarter of a second sooner. (:

I'm not hacking/exploiting so I don't see a prob. Deal with it, etc. (:

Do you tell the group at the outset.....or let them play generously passing on gear they can't use so you can take it and then later snag stuff from them using your no one forces me to Be courteous unless they pay my subscription cost as your ethic......I really can see both sides of the argument.....what bothers me is people who don't state their intention up front and then hit need for gear they can't use when others hit greed for gear they can't use the rest of the run.

Like someone said before, THIS..IS..NOT..WoW!

Rules are VERY different on here, if you can't accept that, you are probably slow and too stuck on WoW (Or any other MMO)

No you should not Rick-Roll NEED on EVERYTHING, but if someone in the run can't immediately use it, just ask if you can roll for it (Thats why they give you 1-2 min to roll on drops)

But yeah, certain classes rely on their companion to keep them alive or solo quest, so yeah you can roll need, I figure asking at the start saves a lot of whining later on.

But yes, you use a companion 90% of this game before end game and if they can be better, YOU can be better, so roll away

But, by that logic you're gearing for six players, and you might as well roll need on everything, cause one of compains will be able to use it.

Companion gear = greed.

/thread

Exactly. And why don't we go one further? Crafting helps me make purples - so I should need on things I can RE, right? Money helps me buy my skills, so I should need on anything I can profit off of, right? I'm going to create alts, and the gear I'll find could surely benefit me in some way, right? Needing for companions is a slipperly slope, and will result in everyone needing on everything - just in case.

i agree 100%. If noone needs a item i will ask if it is ok to need for companion before doing so.

That sounds like probably the best approach to me. If someone rolls need on companions without doing this, I'm not going to pout or quit or anything like that, but it's highly doubtful that's someone I will ever group with again. That tells me plenty about the person and tells me they aren't much of a team player and, therefore, probably not the type of person I want to group with.

Exactly. And why don't we go one further? Crafting helps me make purples - so I should need on things I can RE, right? Money helps me buy my skills, so I should need on anything I can profit off of, right? I'm going to create alts, and the gear I'll find could surely benefit me in some way, right? Needing for companions is a slipperly slope, and will result in everyone needing on everything - just in case.

And there is the rub. How many companions does each character get? People could, and you know that many would, start rolling need for all their companions. In fact some would use it as an excuse to roll need on everything. To combat that everyone will start rolling need on everything, at which point you might as well just round robin all loot.

The rule for companions should be the same as for alts. They are only a consideration if a member of the group doesn't need it.