The Escapist: EA is "on a Journey" to Regain PC Gamer Trust

Friend-Referral

Hopefully some upper management person at Disney will know that EA's lack of customer service reflects badly on Disney too.... please Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy - you are our only hope for Star Wars the Old Republic...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW:BF effectively is a very cheap cash-grab that was rushed out with little content in order to quickly capture movie fans. It's significantally worse than its previous games that are more than 10 years older - and that isn't quite a good sign for a game's quality.

I'm not gonna play the "compare to the previous battlefront games" game. because it's clearly a differant game. they certainly made some decisions with it I'm not a fan of, but at the same time, as I said, at least looking at it, it's clear proof of a move away from micro transactions

If you feel EA is "royally screwing" you out of fifteen whole dollars a month that you're voluntarily giving them, why are you still giving it to them?

I'm not suggesting you quit. I'm asking how they can be screwing you when everything you're doing is 100% voluntary.

Well we have to complain about something life without issues is not healthy.

Hopefully some upper management person at Disney will know that EA's lack of customer service reflects badly on Disney too.... please Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy - you are our only hope for Star Wars the Old Republic...

It's well known that Lucasfilm/Disney are not happy about SWTOR's existence. They will not save this game, they will just let EA milk us with microtransactions and minimal content until they can take it down and launch a "New Canon" replacement.

So why do I continue to play SWTOR? Well simply put I love Star Wars and MMO's and currently EA has a monopoly on the title.

That, if the players stood up to EA, could very well change. Disney can pull the license virtually any time it wants if EA isn't making them money.

All we have to do is say "no" to ****** star wars games. Or stop buying DLC to force them to release completed games, rather than make you spend 100 bucks to get all the content that should have been in there at release.

To be honest the latter would probably be best: show we want Star Wars content, but we don't want to be milked and gouged for it. And that we want it to be complete. KOTOR 1 was delayed for a whole year to make sure it was complete on release, and it's one of the greatest videogames ever made still.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Changing the culture of a major corporation such as EA is very difficult, and no matter how sincere management is with respect to wanting to improve their relationship with customers, years of systems and processes built around squeezing every penny out of every title cannot be changed overnight.

Not to mention no matter how much they may desire to change, they still must operate in today's business world where short term performance and a quick buck today is generally valued higher than building long term loyalty.

Oh and anyone telling themselves they only pay for SWTOR because its Bioware, and they hope by doing so Bioware gets some benefit, is just being delusional or nostalgic.

Bioware has not existed as a stand alone company for years - it is fully owned and operated by EA as nothing more than a brand label they stick on certain products.

Courtesy of The Escapist:

This should be taken with a grain of salt. EA has announced something like this every year, only to end up not living up to their claim in the end. They were also not only once the worst company in America, but TWICE... consecutively.

They have lost us because of the sins of buggy, unfinished games and cheap, sleazy money-grabbing tactics, and SWTOR is definitely no exception to how they've royally screwed over customers in those aspects.

If anything EA is "on a journey" to regain PC gamer wallets.

:rolleyes:

The only thing I would raise issue with is the "worst company in America". It was so clearly tainted by the facts it was an opt in vote AND those that play games will likely be more " internet savvy". I mean seriously, it beat Bank of America that has, since 2008, been ordered to pay over 90 Billion dollars (yes BILLION) in fines and penalties for things like defrauding Fannie and Freddie, racial and sex discrimination, forcing consumers to pay for additional credit card services, falsely claiming toxic securities to be "safe" investments etc.

To say EA is worse than BoA is simply ridiculous.

Changing the culture of a major corporation such as EA is very difficult, and no matter how sincere management is with respect to wanting to improve their relationship with customers, years of systems and processes built around squeezing every penny out of every title cannot be changed overnight.

Not to mention no matter how much they may desire to change, they still must operate in today's business world where short term performance and a quick buck today is generally valued higher than building long term loyalty.

Oh and anyone telling themselves they only pay for SWTOR because its Bioware, and they hope by doing so Bioware gets some benefit, is just being delusional or nostalgic.

Bioware has not existed as a stand alone company for years - it is fully owned and operated by EA as nothing more than a brand label they stick on certain products.

Actually the last thing didn't really happen until 2013. This game was started by BW 2 years before they were acquired and BWs founders and their hand picked crew made this game. When it imploded during its first year EA cleaned house.

There is no loyalty among people who work for large corporation either. Large corporation operate on the predatory pricing. Prices are so low that competitors leave the market, then the prices are raised. I seen this work at the local level. A store prices are so low that other business can't compete and go out of business. Then you raise prices. The purpose is not to compete, but to eliminate your competitors. Production facilities are moved to a country where workers can be abused, dumping, are subsidies, and can suppress wages. A good example of corporations that implemented what I wrote above are Apple, Samsung, Walmart, and many more. This is the real world and decision made by corporate heads in the interest of increasing profits. Who doesn't want their Ferrari and luxury yacht. I bet most of people here could careless about those workers.

EA has no competition when it comes to star wars games. A brilliant decision. EA should make a huge profit if they can capitalized on the star wars brand.

Edited by Knockerz

Actually the last thing didn't really happen until 2013. This game was started by BW 2 years before they were acquired and BWs founders and their hand picked crew made this game. When it imploded during its first year EA cleaned house.

From a corporate perspective, EA completed their acquisition of VG Holding Corp (the corporate owner at the time of Bioware and Pandemic Studios) in January of 2008, naming the two founders of Bioware as EA Vice Presidents and Co-GMs of Bioware, reporting to the President of EA Games Label at time time.

While the original founders were given a lot of latitude and promoted within EA, and didn't formally leave EA until 2012 / 2013, Bioware has been fully owned and controlled by EA since January of 2008.

EA has no competition when it comes to star wars games. A brilliant decision. EA should make a huge profit if they can capitalized on the star wars brand.

Which is by design - EA has been very focused on obtaining exclusive licenses to create and market games based on existing IP, including Star Wars.

The downside is because their license for Star Wars is exclusive, they really don't have to go the extra mile to make a great game that would sell on its own, they just have to make it good enough that it doesn't totally suck.

Edited by DawnAskham

The only thing I would raise issue with is the "worst company in America". It was so clearly tainted by the facts it was an opt in vote AND those that play games will likely be more " internet savvy". I mean seriously, it beat Bank of America that has, since 2008, been ordered to pay over 90 Billion dollars (yes BILLION) in fines and penalties for things like defrauding Fannie and Freddie, racial and sex discrimination, forcing consumers to pay for additional credit card services, falsely claiming toxic securities to be "safe" investments etc.

To say EA is worse than BoA is simply ridiculous.

And it also beat out companies that cause huge oil spills. The Whole EA is the worst company ever is a terrible bash tool and should never be taken serious.

Being well aware of EA's shortcomings, I am still a customer when I feel they deserve my money. I'm still a steam customer for the most part, but I acquired a few games from Origin as well when they are heavily discounted. The "great games" warranty certainly makes me feel a bit more reassured when buying something from them - in that aspect, I think they are still better than steam.

But then, we have SWTOR. I have mixed feelings about this game. I was on a nearly 4 year hiatus before deciding to try the game again for KOTFE. I enjoyed the new story content enough to sub for another two months for the next episode. It's gonna be my deciding point if I'll keep coming back for the next releases or if I'm gonna be done for good with this title. There are still a few lingering issues (probably more for the hardcore gamer) for me that will prevent me to even consider sticking around if the next episode isn't satisfactory.

Bioware opened a new studio in Austin, TX in 2006.

EA purchased Bioware in 2007.

SWTOR launched in 2011.

From a corporate perspective, EA completed their acquisition of VG Holding Corp (the corporate owner at the time of Bioware and Pandemic Studios) in January of 2008, naming the two founders of Bioware as EA Vice Presidents and Co-GMs of Bioware, reporting to the President of EA Games Label at time time.

While the original founders were given a lot of latitude and promoted within EA, and didn't formally leave EA until 2012 / 2013, Bioware has been fully owned and controlled by EA since January of 2008.

^ While that is all true, keep in mind that the launch date of SWTOR was determined by EA, not Bioware.

It really could have used another 6 months in the oven.

^ While that is all true, keep in mind that the launch date of SWTOR was determined by EA, not Bioware.

It really could have used another 6 months in the oven.

Westwood Studios ... space MMO ... that's all one needs to know. Google it. Edited by GalacticKegger

And yet without those hands (and money), there would be no game. People have this weird thinking that this game was done and then EA bought it...

indeed given BW's movement prior to the EA aqusition it's proably a safe bef EA was the driving force behind SWTOR not bioware. prior to the EA buyout BW was more moving towards developing it's own IPs (mass effect, dragon age, jade empire) instead of doing lisenced IPs

Being well aware of EA's shortcomings, I am still a customer when I feel they deserve my money. I'm still a steam customer for the most part, but I acquired a few games from Origin as well when they are heavily discounted. The "great games" warranty certainly makes me feel a bit more reassured when buying something from them - in that aspect, I think they are still better than steam.

But then, we have SWTOR. I have mixed feelings about this game. I was on a nearly 4 year hiatus before deciding to try the game again for KOTFE. I enjoyed the new story content enough to sub for another two months for the next episode. It's gonna be my deciding point if I'll keep coming back for the next releases or if I'm gonna be done for good with this title. There are still a few lingering issues (probably more for the hardcore gamer) for me that will prevent me to even consider sticking around if the next episode isn't satisfactory.

I'm pretty sure what most players are doing that are casualcore and hardcore/competitive is that they're going to sub for a month to experience a new chapter then immediately unsub and wait for the next one and rinse and repeat. EAware really needs to stop alienating what's left of their shrinking MMO playerbase. They're around 8 years too late to try and treat this game like a KotOR III. That should've been done years ago but no, this game was marketed and developed as an MMO and should be treated as such. SWTOR shouldn't be developed like a massively singleplayer online game with co-op aspects. It's ridiculous. Story nerds and casuals want this? Go play Skyrim.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques