First time playing "Starfighter battle"

DeadCheck

If the rest of the build is ok and doesn't depend on a specific copilot ability, take whatever you want. Just be aware of the disadvantages some abilities have.

For the first year I used Hydrospanner on all ships. Now I'm using Running Interference on Bombers and Wingman on Gunships and my Scout. I feel like Wingman has a huge impact on Gunship play, but doesn't affect my personal Scout play that much. On Bombers the main difference probably is that Running Interference also helps other defenders (I'm flying Bombers only in DOM) while Hydrospanner doesn't.

In very slow paced games it's possible to get a 2k repair medal via Hydrospanner.

Edited by Danalon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love to get into Starfighting but the que times on my server are literally hours. I just came back to the game about 2 weeks ago and so far have not had the que pop a single time its really depressing because I did want to give it a try.

I found the queue times on Harbinger to be really good (short) almost any time of day or night.

A note to anyone who feels like the original poster.

I've played this game seriously for probably about a year. In that year, my ability to fly my ships has grown immensely, along with my understanding of the mechanics of the game, why shots hit, why they don't, why I die. On the particular server I play on (Harbinger) there are many good players who play ranging from "so good that when I see these 2-4 people grouped, I know my team will either definitely win or definitely lose" to "good player, but I can be competitive against them".

Not a day goes by, even a year later, where the thought doesn't cross my mind "God - I still suck so much at this game."

And then a few matches later, I put up double digit assists and something over 5 kills (hardly dominant stats, but enough to make you feel like you really contributed, and you feel better about yourself.

This game takes a while to get used to.

If you are a Harbinger player and are struggling to get used to the game and want some assistance, feel free to PM me or send me an in-game e-mail and we can set up a time for us to go through the tutorial where I can help you go through some very basic things to practice that the tutorial doesn't explicitly tell you to do that will help. I definitely still remember how confusing everything was at first very vividly and, as I say, I still have those days where I wonder why I'm not better at the game, so I understand the frustration.

And as people say, join the GSF chat by typing /cjoin gsf in your chat window. Even if no one is talking at the moment, post something in the chat and you'll almost assuredly get a response. In my experience, the people who play GSF are among the most helpful people in the entire game and you'll almost assuredly find someone who can give you a video, a guide, or just a few tips that will accelerate your learning curve.

If I can become semi-competent at this game, anyone can.

Edited by ShallowHal

I would say reasonable choices for co-pilot are:

Gunship - wingman only

Scout - running interference best, wingman 2nd, concentrated fire 3rd, bypass 4th, hydro 5th

Bomber - hydrospanner, running interference, suppression, in your sights, wingman, and servo jammer are all decent choices

Edited by RickDagles

Absolutely, try creating an alt on a populated server. Bad thing about the GSF is that it is completely disengaged from the rest of the game. Good thing about GSF is that buffs, datacrons and crafting do not matter, so you can do it without the legacy support.

It is more likely that the depopulated servers are going to go emptier, and the populated servers are going to become fuller, than that the population rebalances.

I don't think Harby's pop is all that hot, but it's probably the best you can get.

Sucks about Valor.

Depending on where you live Harbinger isn't the best option because of latency. If you're in EU, you can play on The Red Eclipse (en) or T3-M4 (de), I don't have information on the French servers. If you're US east, I think Jedi Covenant and Shadowlands are good options.

Depending on where you live Harbinger isn't the best option because of latency. If you're in EU, you can play on The Red Eclipse (en) or T3-M4 (de), I don't have information on the French servers. If you're US east, I think Jedi Covenant and Shadowlands are good options.

Harbinger gives me 250-350ms. It's far from perfect, but you can definitely fly with it.

Harbinger gives me 250-350ms. It's far from perfect, but you can definitely fly with it.

I've got the same on Harbinger. I'm used to fly with 35-45ms on T3-M4. It's not unplayable on Harbinger but it's a noticeable difference. For example I need to be closer and the target has to be more centered for missile locks. Worst case is when I'm fighting an AsPac or another EU player, the latency adds up and sometimes it feels spongy.

Hi folks, I have finally got Razorwire and was able to switch couple of weapons around with a weekly before taking it out for a try. I am just going to follow Ryuku-sama's simple instructions, but one thing that I am wondering about. I have a feeling that since the ship is slow, by the time it gets to a satellite, it is either green or red. With a green one, it is flying in circles putting the mines out.

But what if it is red? Move to a green one?

What if all sats are red?

TY!

Basically avoid gunships and scouts, kill the turrets, and try to force off the opposition. A charged plating bomber can eat up mines easily and clear a node for the scouts.

The main idea is to drop a beacon somewhere near enough that your team will benefit from it but protected from the enemies, and survive on the node as long as you can. Kite scouts through your mines, LoS gunships, and refresh your beacon whenever you need to and can.

Even if a node is red, getting on it and destroying mines and drones gives your scouts and gunships the option to destroy the enemy bombers.

Easier said than done against a good team, but I think a good beacon bomber can turn a match around.

Hi folks, I have finally got Razorwire and was able to switch couple of weapons around with a weekly before taking it out for a try. I am just going to follow Ryuku-sama's simple instructions, but one thing that I am wondering about. I have a feeling that since the ship is slow, by the time it gets to a satellite, it is either green or red. With a green one, it is flying in circles putting the mines out.

TY!

A bomber will never beat a scout to a satellite, but depending on the situation it may be possible for you push all the scouts off the sat. Killing them is great, but your main goal is to get all enemies off the sat so that your team can cap it. If they do get off the sat, you should try to get a good position where you can fire at them as they try to get back onto the sat while also keeping the satellite between you and enemy gunships' firing angles.

Edited by Kinsha

Annoy the **** outta the reds... Honestly, Razorwire best place is on the frontline.. Just on the sat your team is attacking, or even getting a sat solo.. All your tools point to that playstyle. You have nothing with long CD except the only thing you shouldn't pop straigth on a contested node. You have Charged Plating to actually tank mines and drones. and you have HLC to take out ticks and bad bombers. Once the sat bombers are dead, avoid gunships fire, LoS them. Avoid scouts. And hope your team will help you clear the sat so you can cap.. or your mine will kill everything while you try to survive.

There's nothing more annoying than a wall of 6+ bombers in a domination match your team can't do anything about. The two starter ships have nothing at all which can deal with that many mines and drones. Land a conc, watch the repair drone heal it back up in time for the second pass.

Well, I tried a bomber, and basically just circled the sat shooting my two mines on CD and shooting lasers if someone was in range. I can't say I felt I am contributing real seriously, but it is a different role, and it is nice not to be shot out of the sky every three seconds :) I am trying all the 4 ships I own, but still do not feel any good about what I do. I just don't seem to be able to do much.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell if you're contributing or not - especially when playing Bomber. Their primary role is area denial, but there are no statistics about how many enemies didn't attack a satellite, because they saw one or two Bombers there.

Hey friends and domi, I just wanted to induce some words of wisdom here. I think as a beginner you should definitely most suredly start by flying a gunship. The comet breaker dust maker condor or juggorean are your best options with directional shields and power dive or barrel roll (the best IMHO) and spam slug railguns. Learn 2 Put both shields facing your enemie while sniping. AS SOON AS you get hitN turn around and use barrel roll and put shields to the rear and remember where those purple and blue hidden gems were? Go get those 2 and keep running or go to a team bomber

Hey friends and domi, I just wanted to induce some words of wisdom here. I think as a beginner you should definitely most suredly start by flying a gunship. The comet breaker dust maker condor or juggorean are your best options with directional shields and power dive or barrel roll (the best IMHO) and spam slug railguns. Learn 2 Put both shields facing your enemie while sniping. AS SOON AS you get hitN turn around and use barrel roll and put shields to the rear and remember where those purple and blue hidden gems were? Go get those 2 and keep running or go to a team bomber

I don't want to contradict the former ace here, but start with a Mangler/Quarrel if you're going to go gunship

• Directionals... Check!
  • Lasers ... Check!
  • Slug/plasma railgun (or both)... Check!
  • Thermite/Proton torpedo (or neither)... Check!
  • Sensors... Check!
  • Barrel roll... Check!
  • Capacitors... Check!

The T2 gunship has all the components it needs to make it the best* gunship in the right hands, no doubt about it. It might not have armor or thrusters, but you get sensors and capacitors instead. Quite a fair trade in, all things considered.

*"Best" is an opinion, and not mine at that. Do whatever you want, I'm not your mom...