The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Changes Coming to Packs with 4.1

EricMusco

See, this is the point I don't get. The response has been overwhelmingly negative. On the internet, even bad ideas usually get more devil's advocates. If so many people comment that this is enough to further reduce their spending then his proposed pack change just need stop here and a new one needs to be tried.

Unless... what if this never was intended to be a serious change, and the idea was to get everyone offended and upset, so they will be more willing to accept the real proposal? :D it would almost be funny.

However, I hope they just go back to the drawing board and try again.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is the point I don't get. The response has been overwhelmingly negative. On the internet, even bad ideas usually get more devil's advocates. If so many people comment that this is enough to further reduce their spending then his proposed pack change just need stop here and a new one needs to be tried.

Unless... what if this never was intended to be a serious change, and the idea was to get everyone offended and upset, so they will be more willing to accept the real proposal? :D it would almost be funny.

However, I hope they just go back to the drawing board and try again.

What concerns me is that what anyone says on here means nothing if they sell lots of them, its the only justification they need.

And I laugh at all the people in this thread saying they will only buy them from the GTN in protest, do these people realise that it makes no difference how you obtain them? You will still be supporting the idea. :rolleyes:

What concerns me is that what anyone says on here means nothing if they sell lots of them, its the only justification they need.

And I laugh at all the people in this thread saying they will only buy them from the GTN in protest, do these people realise that it makes no difference how you obtain them? You will still be supporting the idea. :rolleyes:

True. And Yeah, I've noticed a few who sound like they don't realize that someone else paid the real money for what they bought on the GTN. Bioware needs the money not anyone specific's money.

However, I've also noticed that even with people who buy from the GTN, those sales do taper off even if they don't stop. That's not actually insignificant. It's kinda why we saw so many pack changes recently. However, if they keep it up with these kinds of pack changes, they may push people enough to stop altogether, and then even the resellers won't have good reason to risk purchasing the packs to resell on the GTN.

Even the last pack did not have as many tempting items in it as some packs, and it might be even worse with this new proposal given the RNG.

See, this is the point I don't get. The response has been overwhelmingly negative

No it hasnt. Sure, you've contributed plenty of posts with your diarrhea of the keyboard while showing no understanding of the in-game economy, but a handful of people whining out of reflex hardly constitutes a significant portion of the playerbase. They could stuff the packs with $100 bills and roughly the same number of people would ***** about the way they were folded.

Most of us dont have full collections, and getting an old BSG item instead of a worthless current bronze is a huge bonus. The bronze concept is a failed experiment with long pack sell dates and limited pack choices, because the same few bronze items glut the market, over and over and over. Replace it with a pool of hundreds of items, and you dont need to crap out a pack every month before people get sick of opening their third mierm dart frog in a day.

Did you actually read the thread or just jump straight to insults? I'm not even going to dignify your post by bothering to explain to you where you are wrong. Lie to yourself if you want, but to assume that the forum is never representative of how something will be received by the broader player base is an assumption that will lead to disappointment. Edited by Xo-Lara

It's Logical, so it won't be implemented.

What's crazy to me is that we can brainstorm for 10 minutes and come up with a bunch of potential money makers, and you would think that as much scrambling and rearranging the devs do to the Cartel market, that they would at least have a clue on how to make money from it as easily as us. This is another reason why I don't think they actually play this game.

I can see them not playing the game. This is their job. I'm sure it's not fun for them to play this game. However, I would think they would see the latest trends and just add on the new ideas rather than tinker with the pack arrangement that barely made it back to being worth playing with.

However, I have to say that the idea of a low cost pack that could pay off big and does so just often enough to be tempting really does sound like a good idea. Especially since it should be cheaper on the GTN too. The more I think about it the better it sounds.

Edited by Xo-Lara

What's crazy to me is that we can brainstorm for 10 minutes and come up with a bunch of potential money makers, and you would think that as much scrambling and rearranging the devs do to the Cartel market, that they would at least have a clue on how to make money from it as easily as us. This is another reason why I don't think they actually play this game.

It's probably more that they're unable to think like customers, they rely too heavily on that broken chalice of metrics. Now if they managed to think like customers? That would be interesting. We certainly wouldn't see half the rubbish they come out with (both in the CM as well as the game itself).

42 Pages. Mostly of anger, dissapointment and concerns. And Bioware chooses the silent treatment.

Don't worry, my wallet will be doing the exact same.

This is not new. This is how BioWare/EA deals with everything. They wait us out and the community eventually lets the thread fall off the front pages and complains about something else BioWare does nothing about.

But if they do that, (Only buy them from the GTN) they feel better about it because its far better to support the stolen credit card market that is funding off shore gold sellers.

Except if such a system devalues the economy too much then you don't get as much of the people who buy packs to convert to credits ... the changes they make seem to target these players far more than it targets people who just want new items after all.

You won't the devs to listen to such things, considering they have been devaluing stuff since year one.

Instead of putting in this stupid chance cube why don't you put something in the packs that we've been waiting years for. I'm talking about sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened. then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

I have to say.... this made me laugh uncontrollably for couple minutes. :D

Ahem. Im not yet sure exactly what is available from the 'cube', but I have a feeling that chances of getting a chase item from it are too small. Also since cartel market has been revamped so many times in recent past, Im not putting much faith in how long this thing will last.

On the other hand, there are only three things I would be looking for in a CM pack (and Ive bought plenty in the past):

1.) a chase piece of customizable gear that is both good-looking and is not available in current normal packs. Something like XoXaan's armor set etc.

2.) chase piece of stronghold decoration not easily available

3.) jawa scrap (because it helps me with various stupid crafting mats)

Other than that, I couldnt care less. I dont care about umpteenth mount, miniature Satele shan barbie doll, companion gift, jawa condom or whatever.

Now if the chance cube allows aforementioned chase gear or stronghold decos, thats fine, but I have a feeling that devs wont know their probability math and its a letdown anyway.

It's probably more that they're unable to think like customers, they rely too heavily on that broken chalice of metrics. Now if they managed to think like customers? That would be interesting. We certainly wouldn't see half the rubbish they come out with (both in the CM as well as the game itself).

I agree. They appear to think from the standpoint of what they need income wise rather than what a paying customer would feel comfortable paying for.

You know . . . I just remembered that CM certificates have the "bronze" CM icon on them. And they are from packs. So technically, aren't they bronze items from old packs? Might be wishful thinking on my part, but if we can actually get ANY item from a pack in the cubes, then maybe the certs are included? Regardless, it would be nice if the cubes had a chance of dropping the certs.

I agree. They appear to think from the standpoint of what they need income wise rather than what a paying customer would feel comfortable paying for.

^ Quoted for truth... at the end of the day, both sides of the transaction need to find value in it..

They've heard your concerns and are showcasing this saber so you won't be able to control your impulse buying.

Unstable Arbiter's Lightsaber

The hook has been set and now to reel in them fish. By showing this they just caught all the new people that came in because the movie.

Holy crap that's cool lol. Even more reason for me to buy these packs now. :D

They've heard your concerns and are showcasing this saber so you won't be able to control your impulse buying.

The hook has been set and now to reel in them fish. By showing this they just caught all the new people that came in because the movie.

I hate to say it but you are likely right.

But this is exactly what I said would happen further back in this thread. The statement was made that they were listening to feedback. Yet, the feeback after announcing this change was largely that this is an undesireable looking change. Nevertheless someone had already made up their minds to implement it anyway. So what was the "we've been listening to feedback" for?

However, if I recall, one of those early Alliance packs had really nice Zakuul decorations in them. I really wanted those and I'm sure I'm not alone. It didn't matter though, those packs did not sell the same as previous packs. It takes more than a carrot that isn't even dangling very low. Even with the movie like lightsaber, which is going to be a rare drop to encourage spending, it's still likely to rub people the wrong way if they get too many chance cubes and those chance cubes give too many bronze items from old packs.

Manipulation and marketing tricks will only work so much. They need a product that customers feel comfortable buying.

I hate to say it but you are likely right.

But this is exactly what I said would happen further back in this thread. The statement was made that they were listening to feedback. Yet, the feeback after announcing this change was largely that this is an undesireable looking change. Nevertheless someone had already made up their minds to implement it anyway. So what was the "we've been listening to feedback" for?

However, if I recall, one of those early Alliance packs had really nice Zakuul decorations in them. I really wanted those and I'm sure I'm not alone. It didn't matter though, those packs did not sell the same as previous packs. It takes more than a carrot that isn't even dangling very low. Even with the movie like lightsaber, which is going to be a rare drop to encourage spending, it's still likely to rub people the wrong way if they get too many chance cubes and those chance cubes give too many bronze items from old packs.

Manipulation and marketing tricks will only work so much. They need a product that customers feel comfortable buying.

*Removes soap box*

Who else is excited to get a cool as **** saber? :)

I've always said, since the movie came out, how long it'd take for them to cash-in on it. And this

'unstable' is highly suspect considering it's fairly soon after the movie's release. It makes me wonder in a few months/years/at some point, if we'll ever see a cross-guard lightsaber in TOR.

But, I will definitely be buying one of these, and if, they did happen to add a cross guard, that would almost be an instant-buy!