Cartel Vanity Item Pricing is Too Kitten High!

DustyDemonNinja

:mad:The price point for outfits is just too high, in my opinion. $20 for a set of armor, that you have to turn around and spend more money on to unlock across your legacy is just too high. Bioware, take a lesson from the guys over at ArenaNet, their outfits and vanity armor sets cost about $10 and unlock across your entire account on every character. Additionally their version of the Cartel Coin, Gems, can be acquired by exchanging gold (credits) for Gems at a variable ratio depending on the demand. I want to monetize the kitten out of this game, but the value for the dollar just isn't there for me. If I am going to spend additional money on something, it should:

• Be at a price point that matches the value of the item and be reasonable.
  • Be unlocked across my entire account, I did just give you more money after all.
  • Be something that I want to do again in the future to increase my 'collection' or to look extra cool.
  • Give a feeling of reward and not one of being robbed.
  • Be accessible to the average player and not just the Whales.

I think your real money shop really needs to be brought up to date on industry standards that exist in the market in other games. I really think if things like the Temple Guardian Armor Set, for example, cost 1,000 cartel coins, and it unlocked across your legacy you would see a dramatic increase in cartel coin purchases. This kind of thinking should go for all cosmetic and vanity items within the Cartel Market.

I soo totally agree! It seems like every time they come up with something new to add, they try to creep the price ever upward. This kitten greed has caused almost all of the games content to go there. Hey devs, how about you add all those cool armors in game, you know...to like new missions (content) and stuff! This CAT has got to stop!

Except it's not a new perma outfit. This is one of those 1 week sells they mentioned before. Normal Armor sets sold directly are still 1440. This is just to entice the player in getting a set currently unavailable.

The price is still way too high. If they really want to swing their monetization upwards they would adjust their model to fall more in line with the industry standard that already exists. As is - SWTOR is the most expensive game in the industry for a player to monetize.

The price is still way too high. If they really want to swing their monetization upwards they would adjust their model to fall more in line with the industry standard that already exists. As is - SWTOR is the most expensive game in the industry for a player to monetize.

How so? Please provide some kind of information if you're going to be making a claim like this.

Sorry, i doubt that. There are a couple of games out there, were players can spend WAY more money than for SWTOR.

On a side note: This game has probably the most expensive license. They need more money than the "industry standard".

Edited by Neglience

Sorry, i doubt that. There are a couple of games out there, were players can spend WAY more money then for SWTOR.

On a side note: This game has probably the most expensive license. They need more money than the "industry standard".

While other games may have more to spend money on, Bioware does indeed have the highest cash shop prices on average.

While other games may have more to spend money on, Bioware does indeed have the highest cash shop prices on average.

No.

WoW sells Pets for 10$, Mounts for up to 30$, a single helmet for 15$

Path of Exile sells armor sets for over 40$.

Just two examples that come to my mind.

And both games do not provide any "free" shop currency.

Edited by Neglience

Exactly! Its not about volume of what I am buying its about the price per item of what I am buying, and this game has the highest prices per item.

Example:

SWTOR Temple Guardian Armor Set: About $20 (Cosmetic Vanity Armor) 1 character

GW2 Nature's Oath Outfit: About $10 (Cosmetic Vanity Armor) Unlocked for all characters.

TSW Style and Gilt: $10 (Cosmetic Vanity Clothing) Unlocked for 1 character +$4.00 to unlock account wide.

I could keep going but I dont have the time right now. But as you can see SWTOR is about twice as expensive on their vanity items per item than other games. This would be an interesting topic to really delve into research wise but Im sure a lot of these companies wouldn't share a ton of metrics. Although you can see a pretty steady trend if you look through games and their real money shops and you can see that SWTOR is at the top of the price point data set.

Exactly! Its not about volume of what I am buying its about the price per item of what I am buying, and this game has the highest prices per item.

Example:

SWTOR Temple Guardian Armor Set: About $20 (Cosmetic Vanity Armor) 1 character

GW2 Nature's Oath Outfit: About $10 (Cosmetic Vanity Armor) Unlocked for all characters.

TSW Style and Gilt: $10 (Cosmetic Vanity Clothing) Unlocked for 1 character +$4.00 to unlock account wide.

I could keep going but I dont have the time right now. But as you can see SWTOR is about twice as expensive on their vanity items per item than other games. This would be an interesting topic to really delve into research wise but Im sure a lot of these companies wouldn't share a ton of metrics. Although you can see a pretty steady trend if you look through games and their real money shops and you can see that SWTOR is at the top of the price point data set.

Except it's not. This set is a 1 week sale only type of thing.

Most of the Direct buy sets are 1440 coins. That has been the standard for perma direct buy armors. That equates to 15 Dollars.

In World of Warcraft for 15 dollars you can buy a helmet. A single piece helmet. Not a full Armor set, a helmet.

SWTOR gives subscribers free coins every month. WoW does not.

I would like to see a drop in prices, but I REALLY think that the appearance kiosk needs to offer credits as an option for payment. Having it as only CC just seems odd to me.

While I agree with you, it probably will never happen. I see people using it all the time and even use it myself every other week or so. It'$ a ca$h cow.... :jawa_wink:

:mad:The price point for outfits is just too high, in my opinion. $20 for a set of armor, that you have to turn around and spend more money on to unlock across your legacy is just too high. Bioware, take a lesson from the guys over at ArenaNet, their outfits and vanity armor sets cost about $10 and unlock across your entire account on every character. Additionally their version of the Cartel Coin, Gems, can be acquired by exchanging gold (credits) for Gems at a variable ratio depending on the demand. I want to monetize the kitten out of this game, but the value for the dollar just isn't there for me. If I am going to spend additional money on something, it should:

• Be at a price point that matches the value of the item and be reasonable.
  • Be unlocked across my entire account, I did just give you more money after all.
  • Be something that I want to do again in the future to increase my 'collection' or to look extra cool.
  • Give a feeling of reward and not one of being robbed.
  • Be accessible to the average player and not just the Whales.

I think your real money shop really needs to be brought up to date on industry standards that exist in the market in other games. I really think if things like the Temple Guardian Armor Set, for example, cost 1,000 cartel coins, and it unlocked across your legacy you would see a dramatic increase in cartel coin purchases. This kind of thinking should go for all cosmetic and vanity items within the Cartel Market.

I'll say it again, what does BW care about what you want. The games is made for profit now. I could almost think EA is making the game not BW. Anet did do well, especially in GW2. Their devs really made the game fun, and not a rich mans game.

i agree with op. but you forgetting something swtor at the moment is pure cash grab game..minimum amount of content and try to make money out of it as much as possible..they do not care what is fair they are targeting star wars universe hard core fans and not the average gamer.

there are games with worser business model like neverwinter garbage.

there are games with much better business model like ESO and GW2. in eso you get 1500 crowns( equal to cc) per month instead of 525 here and all dlcs are free for subscribers and so far imperial city alone has more content in it than kotfe let alone the org city( forgot the name) and future dlcs which come every 3 months.

so yes if you compare it with eso and gw2 you are right but if you compare it with neverwinter then you are wrong.

Edited by bahramnima

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.