Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Merc - IO - PVP

BonnerFett

I tried out AS mando the other day after practicing on the wz dummy for a bit after reading this topic, heat management is pretty brutal and perhaps do to inexperience I did about 200 dps more on the wz dummy in Gunnery, I also missed the massive burst of Gunnery, perhaps with more experience I could do better. Edited by Romeugues

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any of you ever use incendiary missile in the conitnuity of fusion missile's cast? I found out it'll spread the inc msle dot and find it more reliable to spread as it only needs 1 GCD.

FOR AOE rotation Incendiary Missile should be spread with Supercharged Gas, prior to fusion missile, and after that followed by Sweeping blasters to proc the Ranged requirement of supercharged gas additional 4sec dot.

Supercharged Gas + Incendiary Missile>Fusion missile>Sweeping blasters for maximum effect of spreading potentialy 4 dots on the targets.

The full AOE rotation combines also DFA and Serrated Shot + Explosive Dart + Vent heat (if u follow it up by Supercharged AOE. You can use seismic Grenade to reduce enemy chance to spread on AOEs).

The full rotation will consist of:

Serrated AOE

[Precast Break Sweeping Blasters to proc CGC/Plasma Cell] Serrated shot > Mag Shot > Explosive dart > [seismic Grenade - will also filter your heat a bit] > Supercharged Gas + Incendiary Missile > Instant Fusion Missile > Sweeeping Blasters > Mag Shot > Death From Above

+ Vent heat for when needed.

It is long, but when properly executed with seismic and/or a PT carbonize its devastating.

But i wouldn't be to keen on using Fusion missile other than when i have supercharged and a group to take care of. I preffer to play single target burst full potential of IO. AOE is just very situational and hard to execute at full power, considering 1 stun can break it at two crucial moments.

Edited by Nezyrworks

Supercharged Gas + Incendiary Missile>Fusion missile>Sweeping blasters for maximum effect of spreading potentialy 4 dots on the targets.

But what do you think of the fact that you can "save" 1 GCD by popping incendiary msle in the continuity of fusion's cast?

IO Merc is the best pvp spec in the game. You just have to play it a certain way. I'm gonna leave it vague because if you figure it out, then good for you, but I don't really want people to figure it out, lol.

Go ahead and PM me the tips, I swear I'll take it to my grave ;)

• 1 month later...
How'd those tips work out for you? I just don't think there is any way Assault/IO can compete with Gunnery/Arsenal in PvP. It just doesn't have the oomph.

This isnt quite true. No, it doesnt have the same burst, but dot spread and sustained damage wise it can compete. I've run both, i prefer Arsenal for many reasons, but it isnt because I/O is bad. It just a different style of play.

Edited by Floplag

FOR AOE rotation Incendiary Missile should be spread with Supercharged Gas, prior to fusion missile, and after that followed by Sweeping blasters to proc the Ranged requirement of supercharged gas additional 4sec dot.

The full AOE rotation combines also DFA and Serrated Shot + Explosive Dart + Vent heat (if u follow it up by Supercharged AOE. You can use seismic Grenade to reduce enemy chance to spread on AOEs).

The full rotation will consist of:

Serrated AOE

[Precast Break Sweeping Blasters to proc CGC/Plasma Cell] Serrated shot > Mag Shot > Explosive dart > [seismic Grenade - will also filter your heat a bit] > Supercharged Gas + Incendiary Missile > Instant Fusion Missile > Sweeeping Blasters > Mag Shot > Death From Above

+ Vent heat for when needed.

It is long, but when properly executed with seismic and/or a PT carbonize its devastating.

But i wouldn't be to keen on using Fusion missile other than when i have supercharged and a group to take care of. I preffer to play single target burst full potential of IO. AOE is just very situational and hard to execute at full power, considering 1 stun can break it at two crucial moments.

great

I've always liked to play specs than no one played, I actively play lethality op/pyro PT for lulz every once in a while. That is why I tried playing Assault on my Mando char. The spec is harder than your average DoT specs like madness, in which u can spam lightning for days, but once u get it all worked up and learn some mentioned goodies like proccing mag bolt through sweeping blasters the rewards are great. The insane mobility this spec offers where u can choose to never hard cast is just something I can't resist. When evaluating spec 1v1 effectivness plays quite a big part in that for me, in assault I hardly lost duel, you can outrun almost all classes while doing DoT dmg, blasting your full auto and spamming your mag bolt. If u are bored with the current state of PvP in swtor(Like I was) then I would highly recommend to give Assault/IO a try ! Edited by Exedong

The dots aren't that strong. A nuisance at best. It can't kite melee as well as Gunnery/Arsenal without the 70% slow on Fullauto. It doesn't have the killing power; it takes too long to down a target. The spec does have some perks, for sure. But it's just not as powerful compared to Gunnery/Arsenal. You have to work hard to do well with it, only to still be less effective than Gunnery/Arsenal.

I've always liked to play specs than no one played, I actively play lethality op/pyro PT for lulz every once in a while. That is why I tried playing Assault on my Mando char. The spec is harder than your average DoT specs like madness, in which u can spam lightning for days, but once u get it all worked up and learn some mentioned goodies like proccing mag bolt through sweeping blasters the rewards are great. The insane mobility this spec offers where u can choose to never hard cast is just something I can't resist. When evaluating spec 1v1 effectivness plays quite a big part in that for me, in assault I hardly lost duel, you can outrun almost all classes while doing DoT dmg, blasting your full auto and spamming your mag bolt. If u are bored with the current state of PvP in swtor(Like I was) then I would highly recommend to give Assault/IO a try !

Try Virulence sniper. IO is an easy spec in comparison.

Edited by Aetideus

Between the 2 IO is far harder purely because of the heat management.

The heat management (in pvp) is a matter of experience. In general, one must follow the procs and use the heat reduction utilities available.

Virulence on the other hand is sniper dot spec. A few arenas might be convincing.

I've played them both extensively, so I can tell you what's what.

It's pretty simple:

IO does better under pressure, because it can get out some nasty burst with all instant casts:

supercharged>electronet>incendiary>thermal>mag>instant power shot>mag> execute missile proc will kill someone outright from 100% to 0% and has all instant casts. You can do that entire sequence on the move.

The issue with IO, imo, is that it's more susceptible to the defense of other classes (ranged defense), because mag shot and power shot, unload, etc are all ranged damage, and can be deflected, parried, dodged, etc.

Arsenal doesn't do as well under pressure because you have to get casts off (especially if priming shot misses), but the burst cycles are more frequent and have higher overall burst. Part of the playstyle of arsenal is getting good at your positioning so you can freecast. Since tracer and heatseekers are tech, I can make sure I'm hitting my target a lot more than with IO (I think the defense system is terrible for ranged/melee and should be changed).

Bottom line is, if I'm going to be trained 24/7, I'm playing IO. In a relaxed environment, where I can get good positioning for free casting, I'm going Arsenal.

I've played them both extensively, so I can tell you what's what.

It's pretty simple:

IO does better under pressure, because it can get out some nasty burst with all instant casts:

supercharged>electronet>incendiary>thermal>mag>instant power shot>mag> execute missile proc will kill someone outright from 100% to 0% and has all instant casts. You can do that entire sequence on the move.

The issue with IO, imo, is that it's more susceptible to the defense of other classes (ranged defense), because mag shot and power shot, unload, etc are all ranged damage, and can be deflected, parried, dodged, etc.

Arsenal doesn't do as well under pressure because you have to get casts off (especially if priming shot misses), but the burst cycles are more frequent and have higher overall burst. Part of the playstyle of arsenal is getting good at your positioning so you can freecast. Since tracer and heatseekers are tech, I can make sure I'm hitting my target a lot more than with IO (I think the defense system is terrible for ranged/melee and should be changed).

Bottom line is, if I'm going to be trained 24/7, I'm playing IO. In a relaxed environment, where I can get good positioning for free casting, I'm going Arsenal.

IO doesn't do any better than Arsenal under pressure. You make it seem like IO is the only spec with insta casts. Arsenal's whole burst sequence can be done on the move, as well. The main difference is the target is more likely to be dead after an Arsenal rotation than it is IO.

IO doesn't do any better than Arsenal under pressure. You make it seem like IO is the only spec with insta casts. Arsenal's whole burst sequence can be done on the move, as well. The main difference is the target is more likely to be dead after an Arsenal rotation than it is IO.

Arsenal can be full on the move, but IO can do that while taking 1 more heroic defensive cd because power overrides is not needed. IO does do better under focus because arsenal chafe is efficient against 1 attacker and having Dots as well.

Edited by Aetideus

I can't play 1 spec for very long before on any class before i wish to kill myself so i switch between them.

Out of 10 wzs matches i have 7 are with Arsenal, 3 are with IO. ( think) But that's only because i like the animation of Heatseaking Missiles. And also the sound, in the rare few times it triggers.

I plan to play a Commando too, so i suspect i will play their equivalent of IO more or switch equally often. Boltstorm's animation is bad.

Edited by Kaedusz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.