I am the dead weight on that ops team.

Graystar

Feeling ****** I was totally unprepared and uninformed on how to be a healer for an ops team imps side.

It never happened to me and I never even tried to be a healer...

well I was a mess and I ruined hours of play for people in my guild.

I'm sorry to you all and I am not even sure where to begin to learn to fix the issues I had. its so hard to get ops going I think ill just stick to tanks and dps...

everyone was very nice about it and for that thank you...

I hate being a noob

Honestly Kudos to you for trying. Most people are too afraid to even attempt ops at all. Second, being realistic and humble about your initial shortcomings is the first step in becoming a great healer (insert class)! Just try and find any guides on healing for ops, or ask in the forums for help to address your specific issues that you struggled with. Lastly, don't stop doing them, the more practice you get the better. Just be up front with the group/guild, and you may be surprised how forgiving, and helpful people may be.

P.S.

Here's a personal secret to making you a better and faster responsive healer................PVP warzones. Do them until you are blue the face! Make it your mission in every match to do nothing but keep your team mates alive. The fast paced and dynamic nature of pvp coupled with having to heal under pressure will make you gobs better in a short amount of time. It will really go a long way to help prepare you for ops, and it will make the mechanics of ops seem a lot more static and less daunting.

Edited by Holocron

Get real. It has nothing to do with "fear." :rolleyes:

I've run across quite a few people in game over the years who have never even tried an operation before. All because they are afraid that they don't know how to and will get bashed in chat/group, or that they are too of afraid of the mechanics, thinking they are nowhere near good enough for an operation. That's just crazy to let fear hold you back from trying a whole aspect of the game. The same can also be said about pvp for many people too, which is why I advocate the removal of expertise to help break down barrier to entry for people.

Edited by Holocron

I've run across quite a few people in game over the years who have never even tried an operation before. All because they are afraid that they don't know how to and will get bashed in chat/group

Which has nothing to do with the Op itself.

I don't do Ops for 2 main reasons: they take (for me) too long and I want to experience their story without being told exactly where to stand and what to aggro and when by zerging vets who have done them 100 times. IOW, it's too late for me to start doing them the way I want to do them.

Get real. It has nothing to do with "fear." :rolleyes:

Pls. Not everyone is a steely-eyed, ice-blooded, script slaying warlord. And some are deathly afraid of the boredom, which is understandable too.

Anyway, I suggest trying what Holocron said OP. And watch youtube or ask people that know the ops routines.

If that doesn't work here's my personal Ops secret: Drink too much hooch, wear PVP gear, and have guildies that are really good at Ops and can carry your forgetfulness, ineptitude, and sage tanking skills.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Which has nothing to do with the Op itself.

I don't do Ops for 2 main reasons: they take (for me) too long and I want to experience their story without being told exactly where to stand and what to aggro and when by zerging vets who have done them 100 times. IOW, it's too late for me to start doing them the way I want to do them.

While I do agree that you have a somewhat valid argument, I do disagree that you absolutely can't find a group that would be willing to let you see the story (I'm assuming you mean story). Of-course this may be where friends/guild mates come in, but while hard, is still doable. I've been surprised myself with how friendly people can be if/when I say "hey I haven't done this before" etc.

Most important bit - do not despair. It is easy to heal story mode in SWTOR,you just need a bit of experience. And operations in SWTOR are fun.

So my suggestions - join social raiding guild. They will help you with learning the tactics and your class.

If you do not want to,thats fine too just takes a bit more time and effort. Read guides for your healing class on Dulfy. Try to get 208 gear for basic comms. If you can't - wait for EV or KP operation times on group finder,those are easiest ones and can be solo healed by experienced healer so you will be able to learn and not hurt the team. If other healer is not an *** ,you can whisp him/her for tips mid ops,too.

I would not try HM FPs yet because some of those are harder then hardest story mode operations. But doing PVP is a very good idea. Download parser (like star parse) and see how you manage and what improves your output.

Most important - have fun.

P.S.

Here's a personal secret to making you a better and faster responsive healer................PVP warzones. Do them until you are blue the face! Make it your mission in every match to do nothing but keep your team mates alive. The fast paced and dynamic nature of pvp coupled with having to heal under pressure will make you gobs better in a short amount of time. It will really go a long way to help prepare you for ops, and it will make the mechanics of ops seem a lot more static and less daunting.

This, and so much this ^ ^ - for Heals as well as DPS and tanking. Keeping a writhing beast like a PvP team alive taught me so much about my own healing classes as well as everyone else's.

- That and practice in some HM FPs - where you have to co-ordinate with other people using Cleanses. - Hammer Station's Big mining Droid comes to mind. ( It Stacks multiple armour De-buffs IIRC)

Oh and keeping your Bubbles/ trauma probes / slow release medpacks/ kolto probe etc. Rolling and pretty much on CD too. :)

-And watch the ops on YouTube if you can. You can often see different phases and mechanics at work, heal phases, burn phases and the rest..... Once you know when you heal/dps/run/hide/kite/melee or whatever, it should come more naturally in game.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Honestly Kudos to you for trying. Most people are too afraid to even attempt ops at all.

This was me, I was always too nervous to join an operation for fear of being "that guy", I finally got persuaded to do an operation with my guild as they were 1 or 2 short of a full guild run, I died twice and we wiped once. I found there was much too much going on for my brain to comprehend and have decided since then not to join a operation ever again (I have not told my guild this though) .

My guildmates were ok with me and supportive after the operation, but I know in my heart I could not really have been pulling my weight as somehow I continued to mess up what I consider the most simple of all the rotations I have come across (An Arsenal specced Merc).

Because of this I know in my heart that I will never, ever complete Oricon I can't ask anybody to "drag" me through content I am not good enough to do, its just not fair on them.

Edited by Jedi_riches

The learning curve transitioning from levelling content to group content can be brutal.

The game would do well to provide some training missions that allow a player to come to grips with the specifics of a role under stress.

Scenario for a healer: Three defensive turrets are damaged and need to be brought online. Engineers are being sent out but incoming enemy artillery is causing issues. Go out and support them to get the turrets back online.

You can tweak that scenario any number of ways for faster incoming attacks, larger area of effect, bigger burst damage. A swell as on the engineers side, is it a single engineer or a team, do they work on one turret at a time or spread themselves out.

This would allow a budding healer to waste no one else's time but their own while they figure out what situations call for.

Also more single Boss fights that aren't locked behind event content and have interesting fight mechanics.

The biggest issue for most wannabe OPs teams though is communication. Be clear about what is expected of everyone and explain the tactics. Are you a dedicated healer for the main tank or a back up healer. Are the DPS managing their threat or expecting the tank to do all the heavy lifting. Are the rest looking at where they're standing or expect the healer to keep them standing.

I've seen more groups fall apart due to poor communication than anything else, and this is even within guilds.

Edited by Vhaegrant

This is exactly why end game is slowly becoming extinct IMO. Attitudes like this.

I suspect their original post was purely sarcasm, and not meant as a real slam on the op. I think they are making the point that the OP is being too hard on himself.

This was me, I was always too nervous to join an operation for fear of being "that guy", I finally got persuaded to do an operation with my guild as they were 1 or 2 short of a full guild run, I died twice and we wiped once. I found there was much too much going on for my brain to comprehend and have decided since then not to join a operation ever again (I have not told my guild this though) .

My guildmates were ok with me and supportive after the operation, but I know in my heart I could not really have been pulling my weight as somehow I continued to mess up what I consider the most simple of all the rotations I have come across (An Arsenal specced Merc).

Because of this I know in my heart that I will never, ever complete Oricon I can't ask anybody to "drag" me through content I am not good enough to do, its just not fair on them.

Personally I think you are giving up a little too easily. You only died twice, the group only wiped once, and your guildmates were okay with you and supportive. Sounds like a success to me! Dying and wiping happens sometimes in ops, and that's okay: they are meant to be a bit harder than the solo content you can do in your sleep. We wiped several times on more than one boss in my first ever op, but I had a blast, and couldn't wait to do it some more. Give it another go, I say.

On the other hand, if you weren't actually having any fun, then that's a different matter. No point whatever in forcing yourself to do stuff you don't enjoy.

Edited by PLynkes

I suspect their original post was purely sarcasm, and not meant as a real slam on the op. I think they are making the point that the OP is being too hard on himself.

Because it's a well know fact that sarcasm translates well to the written format of forums.

P.S.

This! If you really want to learn how to play your class, start playing PVP. It will be amazing how much you'll learn from your class in a short time period.

Yet I can't help but feel that the op was a success despite of me.

If I am also honest I am not sure if I understood a single thing that was going on.

I felt that way in my first few ops. Still do, sometimes. :) Like most things, you'll get better at it the more you do it.

The key question about whether to continue or not really is: Did you have a good time?

I felt that way in my first few ops. Still do, sometimes. :) Like most things, you'll get better at it the more you do it.

The key question about whether to continue or not really is: Did you have a good time?

I don't know I was confused more than anything else I can remember.

If I am also honest I am not sure if I understood a single thing that was going on.

That's something you pick up more on as you do it more. It's perfectly OK to be "dragged" through an ops your first time. You have to walk before you can run.

Another thing to consider is that many times in ops different players have different things to worry about. That even applies within a single role. There are sometimes things that another DPS has to worry about that you do not. So as long as you take care of what you have to then not knowing what everyone else is doing is OK. But I still want to reiterate that messing up a bit when you're new is perfectly fine. No one is perfect when they're a beginner. SM especially is designed to be forgiving anyway.

Edit: Another great way to learn is to take an experienced guildie aside and ask them for help/advice. If you're in a good guild they'll be more than happy to teach you.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I find your lack of self-confidence disturbing...

You're not supposed to be the very best OPs player in the world on your first try. Did you never fell down when you learned to walk? Or ride a bike? Did you always scored A+ in school? Did your sports team always win the championships?

Practice padawan...

Go back in there and do it again. You'll notice it isn't as bad as you thought it was last time because you will find that you remember things from having been there before, it will be less overwhelming the more often you run an OPS.

Also, operations are a team effort, you aren't solely responsible for the entire team. Except for level appropriate nightmare modes, any encounter in an OPs is designed to be overcome without everyone in the group needing to be alive. It's okay, learn from it, remember what went wrong, and do the encounter again until whatever mob/boss is dead.

I think you can be a great OPs player, don't let one run discourage you.

To the OP et al,

Keep at it and don't be discouraged. As with anything else, it's all about practice. You'll be surprised how quickly you can become comfortable in Operations.

This:

That's something you pick up more on as you do it more. It's perfectly OK to be "dragged" through an ops your first time. You have to walk before you can run.

Another thing to consider is that many times in ops different players have different things to worry about. That even applies within a single role. There are sometimes things that another DPS has to worry about that you do not. So as long as you take care of what you have to then not knowing what everyone else is doing is OK. But I still want to reiterate that messing up a bit when you're new is perfectly fine. No one is perfect when they're a beginner. SM especially is designed to be forgiving anyway.

Edit: Another great way to learn is to take an experienced guildie aside and ask them for help/advice. If you're in a good guild they'll be more than happy to teach you.

And This:

I find your lack of self-confidence disturbing...

You're not supposed to be the very best OPs player in the world on your first try. Did you never fell down when you learned to walk? Or ride a bike? Did you always scored A+ in school? Did your sports team always win the championships?

Practice padawan...

Go back in there and do it again. You'll notice it isn't as bad as you thought it was last time because you will find that you remember things from having been there before, it will be less overwhelming the more often you run an OPS.

Also, operations are a team effort, you aren't solely responsible for the entire team. Except for level appropriate nightmare modes, any encounter in an OPs is designed to be overcome without everyone in the group needing to be alive. It's okay, learn from it, remember what went wrong, and do the encounter again until whatever mob/boss is dead.

I think you can be a great OPs player, don't let one run discourage you.

Cheers!

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.