"Choices Matter"

JadenVaska

Actually, there's a wide range of possibilities. The point of contention is: what "matters" means to an individual.

To me, the offers that Valkorian makes you "matter" despite the fact that the outcome is largely the same. I focus not on the immediate effect but rather what it means for your character's future. At some point, he's going to really set you up, you can just feel it. How you react to his initial feeler incidents will change how warily you play the game going forward. It also gives you an insight into his tactics.

Same issue with deciding when to listen to Koth or Senya. At some point, I know I'll have to make a hard decision on who to go with. Who I trust more now may not be who I trust more at that instant, but I know who I seem to favor now is likely going to influence what happens at that point no matter who I actually choose. I have to play carefully and look for foreshadowing and clues to see if I'm boxing myself into a corner later.

I basically try to play the story like a puzzle game while still being true to the character as I envision her. However, I admit that for this way of playing to work, the foreshadowing needs to be just enough to give a cue without being too obvious about what's coming. I trust the writing team will deliver as long as they aren't rushed.

I just hope that they are able to keep that sense of curiosity about what is going to happen next in the moment and down the road along with making a "gameble" story. That is, a certain amount of room to strategically maneuver your character through the story not just sit back and listen while you are pushed on just one rail.

all really good points =D Same I try to play the game like oh man if i do this what could happen? I just want a big like pass or fail, like you did things right or wrong you know?

I want another ME2 style suicide mission! I want the chance to screw up and get my favourite companion killed (IM SORRY TALI, I LOVED YOU!). I want me leaving someone alive to help another companion survive later (Thanks for saving Thane, you Salarian Commando guy!) or end very badly (Oh, the scientist that was around the reaper WAS indoctrinated and went on to kill a **** ton of people, my mistake)

The entire Valkarion part makes zero sense so far - or, rather, the DS decisions. There has not been a single bad outcome for any LS choice. Not a SINGLE gosh darn ONE. Don't let him "save" your companion? Another ones comes in and helps her anyway. Not letting him "save" you from "death" against his son? You get a debuff for 5 minutes and a slightly different cutscene. It's that terrible writing Bioware gets off with. So far, letting him take over is the worse choice, hands down. The other option is objectively better. The poor writing pretty much invalidates the other option. What the heck?

Get some balls, Bioware writers. Don't let him take over to save a companion? LET HIM / HER DIE. Do it. People will cry and shout in rage, but that's what good writing does, it moves people. Be it positively or negatively. I never, ever have to worry about my character's or my companion's fate, so how am I supposed to get involved into their story?

Edited by Sigvaldson

I want another ME2 style suicide mission! I want the chance to screw up and get my favourite companion killed (IM SORRY TALI, I LOVED YOU!). I want me leaving someone alive to help another companion survive later (Thanks for saving Thane, you Salarian Commando guy!) or end very badly (Oh, the scientist that was around the reaper WAS indoctrinated and went on to kill a **** ton of people, my mistake)

Yes, please! I can't wait to kill Piggyface Beniko and Craterpore Koth!

The entire Valkarion part makes zero sense so far - or, rather, the DS decisions. There has not been a single bad outcome for any LS choice. Not a SINGLE gosh darn ONE. Don't let him "save" your companion? Another ones comes in and helps her anyway. Not letting him "save" you from "death" against his son? You get a debuff for 5 minutes and a slightly different cutscene. It's that terrible writing Bioware gets off with. So far, letting him take over is the worse choice, hands down. The other option is objectively better. The poor writing pretty much invalidates the other option. What the heck?

Get some balls, Bioware writers. Don't let him take over to save a companion? LET HIM / HER DIE. Do it. People will cry and shout in rage, but that's what good writing does, it moves people. Be it positively or negatively. I never, ever have to worry about my character's or my companion's fate, so how am I supposed to get involved into their story?

If they only thing you care about is how something directly impacts your character, then no, I'm sure many decisions won't matter - the exploding reactor is a case in point (so far, although I'm sure many such decisions will come back to bite people later). If you care about the wider world, then they do.

Edited by SootyTX

Well that is generally supposed to be the upside for choosing the light. It supposed have fewer negative effects, but at the same time will result in less personal benefit whereas the dark side can give you greater personal benefit, but when it goes sour finally you stand a far greater chance at losing everything. It Isn't poor writing, it's a perspective. You weren't suppose to give in to the dark side, bad things happen. ;)

However, the problem isn't courage. It's money. People didn't like it that they could kill their healer so that option got removed. People won't like it if they can really screw up with no previous saves to return to, so it won't be implemented. While I understand wanting more consequential story options, it's just not a good idea economically. Many people don't want to pay to sit there and feel bad about a virtual decision with no take backs.

Not everyone wants the game to punish them, whether it be in story, combat or wherever. Forcing everyone to go through a punishing mission would result more negatively than positively. The only way you are going to see dramatic stuff like what you want is if there is mass indication that it is wanted, which is unlikely. Or... they can pull it off maybe like once per arc/season/whatever it's called. One big decision that you have to worry about stumbling across whenever you do story missions, but they can't do it often.

The entire Valkarion part makes zero sense so far - or, rather, the DS decisions. There has not been a single bad outcome for any LS choice. Not a SINGLE gosh darn ONE. Don't let him "save" your companion? Another ones comes in and helps her anyway. Not letting him "save" you from "death" against his son? You get a debuff for 5 minutes and a slightly different cutscene. It's that terrible writing Bioware gets off with. So far, letting him take over is the worse choice, hands down.

I think the " letting Valkarion posses you" part is subjective rather than " worse choice" . For me I side with Valk from the start. Some people who doesn't side with him may see the DS choices as tactically bad but the opposite maybe true for those who Like Valk and want a closer connection to him .