How to increase Mando/Merc survivability in PvP.

AmarantKando

I think one of the problems that makes mando / merc healers so vulnerable in PvP, and especially arenas, is because they are the only class that don't have an "OH ****" button. They need a slight hps boost aswell, but I don't think that's the biggest problem. So I would like to make a suggestion, eventhough deep inside I know it's practically useless. :jawa_frown:

Smoke Screen: Emits a Screen that covers the Commando / Mercenary in smoke, making them unable to be targeted by enemies for X seconds, and taking X% reduced damage from damaging effects already on the Commando / Mercenary and AoE attacks.

This ability could replace Diversion / Chaff Flare, or just be an upgrade for these abilities.

Edited by AmarantKando

Unable to be targeted basically means you can't even use ccs. Basically barrier without the self-stun and on a 45s cd if binded to chaff flare? I'm all for resolving mercs solo-ranked issues (cause that's where they only have issues) but don't you think that is a bit too much?

Unable to be targeted basically means you can't even use ccs. Basically barrier without the self-stun and on a 45s cd if binded to chaff flare? I'm all for resolving mercs solo-ranked issues (cause that's where they only have issues) but don't you think that is a bit too much?

I do not mean to have it on a 45s cd, which is obviously way too short. Also, it shouldnt last nearly as long as the full Sorc barrier. More like ~5 seconds, so you get some room to breath.

I'm always open to suggestions and opinions so please let them hear. :)

There are a few problems with the healer. I recently started merc healing in 4.0, (not in ranked yet to be clear.) Even in regs there are some issues I can see magnifying in ranked.

Of course there is the usual stuff: rocket out sucks in its current state and as a healer taking smoke screen is not optimal utility choice.

Firstly, as people have pointed out, no chaff flare. As the other specs have shown, that 1 small move, while not sorc bubble, can definitely save your ***. Arsenal and IO both have a decent cooldown tied to chaff flare. Mercs have 2 reliable cooldowns: our energy shield (which is vital as a healer) and kolto overload. Knockback is fine when it works but we have no root tied to it so any melee usually will just either jump back or be outright immune to it. Electro net is also very powerful, not foolproof as classes can dodge it (assassin, operative) and it can be broken out of. But it is a powerful move so it makes sense.

Also, when merc healing, I find heat is a constant fight, an issue, frankly, the other healers don't worry about. Operative hots restore energy and have constant uptime on many players and sorcs have a massive pool of force with an easy regen button every 6.5 seconds with stacks from their channeled heal.

Mercenary healers have great healing capabilities, dont get me wrong, but they are limited in the fact that they have to manage a real resource. Which is fine, the way the classes heat functions makes sense, however a lot of their heals cost too much.

Kolto Shell honestly should not have a heat cost. When you try to apply it to people during fights you can overheat, and because of its nature is not good to use in pressure situations. To make up for this, we shouldnt have to risk overheating for a heal that won't be instant. Rapid scan costs 18 heat. 18. Honestly that kinda pisses me off, it should be 15 like healing scan seeing rapid scan is VITAL to recharging supercharged gas to vent heat and increase our healing. You have to use it pretty often and it stresses your resources. Same with kolto missile, it really should be 12 heat instead of 15, it would make energy slightly less tight during constant fighting and burstfest that is pvp.

TLDR: give chaff flare a real use. Rocket out leap immunity core to all mercs and usable while rooted ( at least one of those two.)

Also lower heat cost of rapid scan to 15, kolto missile to 12, and remove heat cost from kolto shell to improve healing under pressure without overheating slightly, a problem both other healers really don't have.

Edited by Flintfire

Rocket out should mitigate damage like Warrior mad dash. Rocket out should also rocket back 30 meters, not 20 meters. Because Holotraverse/Phantom is 30 meters.

Holotraverse can alos kill you http://www.twitch.tv/kissingaiur/v/22300524 and is pretty much useless for the healers.

This doesn't change the fact that mercs need more survival-tools.

Smokescreen sounds nice, Maybe have it on a 1.5 min cd and make you untargettable for 3 seconds (which would be powerful enough, trust me because people have to retarget you and get in los/ melee range so you get more breathing room than just 3 secs), make rocket out move you into the direction YOU'RE MOVING TO and usable while rooted.

Yeah...Mercs definitely need something like this for ranked. I prefer ideas that fit with the "gadgety" feel of the Bounty Hunter class and a smoke screen fits the bill nicely. Agree with rocket out needing to be usable while stunned.

The other idea I like, which was brought up in a similar thread, is our shield having some sort of reflect like juggs. They could code it to only reflect player damage so that it won't affect PvE balance.

I'm hoping that they will do something before the coming ranked season, but I know I'm getting my hopes up and it will be yet another season of my merc laying on the arena floor while my team mates sigh and try to do their best to compensate.

Their metrics show that mercs do badly in ranked and it is so frustrating that the players come up with simple fixes like this that will never get implemented.

Ive noticed that alot of merc healers respond in these kinds of threats uhm not to be rude your arsenal is healing.

Can we pleased first focus on the dps side they need a evasion utility so we can get out before getting killed.

We dont have huge heals as dps just saying not the right place to put it in

Bump awsome idea again smoke screen want to see this happen asap

Ive noticed that alot of merc healers respond in these kinds of threats uhm not to be rude your arsenal is healing.

Can we pleased first focus on the dps side they need a evasion utility so we can get out before getting killed.

We dont have huge heals as dps just saying not the right place to put it in

Bump awsome idea again smoke screen want to see this happen asap

healing is in a worse place than dps. both dps specs have some capabilities w/o a tank and healer. as the healer w/o a tank, though...gg. their complaints are valid, and the threads do not specify "arsenal improvements." they say merc/mando, implying that the horribly underrepresented healing spec (compared to other healing ACs) might...you know...also benefit.

i think much of the problem with merc survivability is that the other classes need to be toned down, particularly immunities. you get leaped to by a guardian/jugg and they can't be knocked back for 4 seconds, yet they can knock you back and gain another leap. i'd cut that in half, or get rid of it altogether, they don't really need it.

electronet could use a buff though, and perhaps a lower cd.

Smoke Screen: Emits a Screen that covers the Commando / Mercenary in smoke, making them unable to be targeted by enemies for X seconds, and taking X% reduced damage from damaging effects already on the Commando / Mercenary and AoE attacks.

They could use the Gunslinger's skill, I think it's called Diversion ? The animation could be exactly the same, only the mist should be somewhat thicker. They could even copy & paste 3/4 of the whole skill !

Good to see so many positive replies on my suggestion!

I know that this idea only improves the class' survivability, and not the healing output (which also really needs a buff). Some other guy made some really good suggestion on how to improve hps: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=860231

Now we just need Bioware to actually make these changes. Which I doubt will actually ever happen... :jawa_frown:

Good to see so many positive replies on my suggestion!

I know that this idea only improves the class' survivability, and not the healing output (which also really needs a buff). Some other guy made some really good suggestion on how to improve hps: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=860231

Now we just need Bioware to actually make these changes. Which I doubt will actually ever happen... :jawa_frown:

This will happen as soon as they begin doing small class balance changes frequently as per our preference...

You did see where they asked if we preferred small, frequent class changes over large, infrequent class changes right?

Wonder how long that will take for them to implement?

The problem with Merc survivability is they have no way to clear dots/debuffs and no innate damage reduction for periodics.

Mercs will eat every single tick of a dot or debuff while operatives can dodge and sorcs can bubble.

That seems like the biggest problem to me.

The problem with Merc survivability is they have no way to clear dots/debuffs and no innate damage reduction for periodics.

Mercs will eat every single tick of a dot or debuff while operatives can dodge and sorcs can bubble.

That seems like the biggest problem to me.

There is a masterful util for periodic dmg and Cure for cleansable effects.

i think much of the problem with merc survivability is that the other classes need to be toned down, particularly immunities. you get leaped to by a guardian/jugg and they can't be knocked back for 4 seconds, yet they can knock you back and gain another leap. i'd cut that in half, or get rid of it altogether, they don't really need it.

electronet could use a buff though, and perhaps a lower cd.

Wait <3s stun them, Fist root, knock back or Power surge + Conc missile.

Edited by Aetideus

Enjoy to play class without escapes. If u don't like this mechanic - reroll. Even juggernaut and all their "tons of DCD-s" don't save against being focused.

And solo ranked is about luck - tho its not a reason to broke any mechanic for this. Don't compare with sorcs they are just broken class.

Edited by helpmewin

How to make Mercs/Mandos more survivable... kite better and take smoke screen. You have an new perk that allows you to rocket back 20 meters and be immune to gap closers... it's about using your abilities right first...

Lol. :o

Edited by AmarantKando

Rocket back into ... Who of the players actually knows where he is rocketing his or her Merc into ? OI mean, the game's camera is mostly placed BEHIND the character played ... and one just doesn't see what's behind that ...

But I guiess that this isn't a problem for most PvP players who widen their camera view anyway ... It's just a problem for Newbies, because no-one tells them to do that ... At least I haven't seen that in the forum here, recently ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer