PvP from a professional gamer's standpoint

Reedful

Although I agree with OP's points, I have to agree with Kint in saying that his credentials are illegitimate.

CLEARLY this is the biggest issue at hand here. OP, I agree with you, but because 1 paragraph of your post makes you sound like you're better than me, it invalidates everything you said. Please re-word your post to make it sound like I am better than or equal to you so my ego is not hurt. Thank you.

Edited by CHRISGG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW never became proper e-sport because it's so boring to watch others play. Watching others play arena or getting shot in my leg ... not an easy choice. As for TOR PvP ... tl;dr is BW has to smooth things out a bit.

WoW never became a proper e-sport because the balance was straight out awful, new fotm comps every time a patch came out. Just making the game worse and worse for every patch aswell. Thats the reason, not that it was boring to watch.

Client-side lag from spamming keys should be fixed. I think spamming keys might not be the most efficient way to play in PvP, though I do it myself, but it shouldn't affect the actual game's performance. I think this is a software issue and QA should have rooted this out before launch.

I know every professional ever.

Fact of the matter is that (aside from latency issues outside of game mechanics) pvp isn't all that bad right at a game's launch.

I have been part of a TON of mmo's launches where pvp was a complete and total disaster. Launch pains aside I still find myself having fun for the most part. It is a good sign.

WoW never became a proper e-sport because the balance was straight out awful, new fotm comps every time a patch came out. Just making the game worse and worse for every patch aswell. Thats the reason, not that it was boring to watch.

What's the point of espot if nobody wants to watch it ... Look at LoL streams. There are professional players who have 10-15k spectators when they play ladder ... not tournaments, just daily ladder. Watching their games is kind of interesting. Watching WoW arena or WoW PvE fights is not, regardless of balance.

Edited by Repefe

What's the point of espot if nobody wants to watch it ... Look at LoL streams. There are professional players who have 10-15k spectators when they play ladder. Watching their games is kind of interesting. Watching WoW arena or WoW PvE fights is not regardless of balance.

League of Legends is quite possibly the most undeserving competitive game ever, hardly a good example. Regardless, WoW streamers can, have, and do get 10k viewers and have for much longer than League of Legends has even been out.

Edited by CHRISGG

League of Legends is quite possibly the most undeserving competitive game ever, hardly a good example. Regardless, WoW streamers can, have, and do get 10k viewers and have for much longer than League of Legends has even been out.

Still light years ahead of WoW in competitiveness and strategy involved. And where do these WoW players with 10k spectators stream ? Own3d.tv has <500 spectator streams. Twitch.tv does not even has WoW section. Maybe some other site ?

Still light years ahead of WoW in competitiveness and strategy involved.

Absolutely not in a million years is there any deep strategy involved in League of Legends. It is a game built for the casual gamer who could not handle the complexity of WC3 DoTA, which is why it's so succesful.

Anyway, http://xfire.com/live_video - in US/EU primetime streams here will approach 10k viewers easily. Swifty & Athenes streams get 10k+ all the time.

own3d.tv is also paid by Riot Games to up the viewer count on League of Legends streams, which is pretty well documented btw.

Absolutely not in a million years is there any deep strategy involved in League of Legends. It is a game built for the casual gamer who could not handle the complexity of WC3 DoTA, which is why it's so succesful.

Anyway, http://xfire.com/live_video - in US/EU primetime streams here will approach 10k viewers easily. Swifty & Athenes streams get 10k+ all the time.

own3d.tv is also paid by Riot Games to up the viewer count on League of Legends streams, which is pretty well documented btw.

Sry but LoL champion pick alone beats arena strategy in WoW which is always pretty straightforward. Imho that is ... if you feel like WoW PvP has anything to do with planning or strategy lets just agree to disagree. The url you posted I see the summ of viewers of all streams to be under 500 ... compared to single LoL stream on own3d with 12.5k viewers. If it is tampered with they do a really good job.

Also Athenes and Swifty play WoW exclusively ? I though they played number of games and are popular because they don't stick to one game only.

The problem is little things, like losing control of your character as soon as you're knocked off a ledge. I should be able to leap back up if I have an ability, or other things of that nature - I shouldn't be dead from fall damage until I have actually taken the fall damage. The RP scenes every single time you play a battleground are really too much. Flying in on a speeder every single time is just.. annoying. I don't want to watch the same cut scene over and over again, or watch my character ride through a spaceship on a speeder for 15 seconds. I just want to buff, and wait, and play.

Although fall damage isn;t the example I would use, seeing as if you're falling you're not going to be doing anything anyway if it is a fatal fall, It does get annoying when the game decides your dead before you actually have 0 health. On many occasions I am unable to use abilities even though I have plenty of time to attack because the game has decided I'm dead before another player actually hit me. I recall one fight in particular with a higher level Maurader during weekend beta. Had just knocked him back and I hit stun and nothing happened. I hit it again; Nothing. He walks back up to me and finishes me off. We both had a sliver of health and he should have been stunned and if the stun damage didn't kill him my next attack would have. But for whatever reason the game decided I was dead even though technically I should have won. Give the distance he was from me after the knocl back it can't be a lag issue.

The design isn't an issue, it's the functionality. For example, my Adrenaline Rush takes 3-4 seconds to activate. My Recharge Cells takes at least two globals to go off. The delay is literally killing the experience and reaction time. I live right next to your studio, and I have 6 MS, as well as a top of the line gaming computer.

Recharge cells takes 1 second to take me from 0% ammo to about 55% and another sec to arounf 70%. The extra 15% may be a bug or normal ammo recovery kicking in.

Adrenaline Rush is always used in the heat of battle and always kicks in right way. Adenaline Rush, along with Reactive Shield, are not "OMG, I'm almost dead" get out of imminenent death abilities. You need to be using them before your health is low. As a commando, whenever I get agro, typically when temporary pulling agro from the healer or going for adds, I pop Reactive Shield and Adrenaline Rush and I can see it counteracting the damage I'm receiving. You may want to make a /bug report if you are aware of this and are still having issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.