Proof that maybe (just maybe) the Old Republic era is canon

DresG

About Kylo's lightsaber found in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens visual dictionary

As well as revealing that the saber housed a cracked crystal (hence its volatile beam and the need for crossguards to vent the energy), the description describes Kylo’s saber hilt as “an ancient design, dating back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor.”

http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-backstory-you-desperately-want-to-know-about-th-1751196966

Edited by DresG

There's no real difference between canon and legend. Legend is canon as long as canon don't contradict it and anything canon can also be interpreted in many ways.

Actually false. Disney specifically stated the only Canon would be Clone Wars, Rebels, the movies and Print stuff published by them after April 2014. They also specifically said that they will allow their writers to mine Legends for ideas so at some point individual bits currently legends may find themselves Canonized. So example...

There was a Ben Skywalker. Now there is a Ben Solo and clearly Kylo/Ben is modeled in part on Jacen Solo but this does not make Darth Cadeus Canon

The whole idea of setting this game about 3600 years before the events in the movies, was not to risk conflicting background stories. A smart choice of the original developers; all the lore of the game world can claim some sort of 'deuterocanonical' or 'apocryphal' status without having to depend on explicit permission of Lucasfilm (and nowadays, Disney).

I was never too thrilled about the name though... Not that I know an obviously better alternative, but The Old Republic seems too specific, and also too much detailing one political side of the conflict.

I wish I could find the quote, someone else here posted it, but an executive from Disney stated clearly that there is no such thing as a light side sith and never will be. I'll see if I can find the quote, it was a while back.

IMO, if it is accurate that pretty much keeps SWTOR in the legends slot.

Good for them.

For me this game always will be canon and kotors too.

This game is awesome for me and i love it so much, so i couldn't care less what a Disney guy says.

That's it.

I will choose my own canon.

Edited by Vertrayer

There's a blink-and-you'll miss it cameo by a SCORPIO-type droid, too
Actually that is a nod to the droid that C3-PO was based on, which 3PO originally looked like. That original design was then used by BW to create Scorpio.

The original droid is from the 1927 movie Metropolis.

I will choose my own canon.

Yer, then you see it isn't canon

You can feel what you like about any Star Wars product, but unless it is part of Disney's canon then simply put - it isn't canon.

This is the whole reason we have canon - so that we have a set text that explains everything that you need to know. By not having a "canon master" you end up with the incredible pile of BS that was the "expanded universe" and boy was there some complete and utter rubbish there.

This past April at a Celebration Anaheim Q&A session on the new Canon, Pablo Hidalgo, of the Story Group, was asked about the canon status of SWTOR and point-blank said it is not canon.

As with anything non-Canon, the writers are free to mine it for names or ideas they like (but even then, using an individual name or idea from a non-Canon work doesn't make the whole work Canon).

This past April at a Celebration Anaheim Q&A session on the new Canon, Pablo Hidalgo, of the Story Group, was asked about the canon status of SWTOR and point-blank said it is not canon.

As with anything non-Canon, the writers are free to mine it for names or ideas they like (but even then, using an individual name or idea from a non-Canon work doesn't make the whole work Canon).

Is there an article about this statement?

Is there an article about this statement?

Well, the "Canon status" of an MMO doesn't really make headlines on CNN, but yeah there are multiple gaming / geek culture sites that reported on it:

'The Old Republic' No Longer 'Star Wars' Canon

Disney: BioWare Games Not Officially Canon

BioWare's Star Wars Games Are Not Official Star Wars Canon

Or you can go right to the source with the Celebration Anaheim "One Big Story" panel's liveblog of the Q&A.

Well can you post a link? Because I've been using google and found nothing on it besides the fact that they wont comment on it and the same response from long ago saying that they are undecided.

There are four links to different articles (and the panel transcript) in my previous post. Just click on the text that is a bronze/brown color.

Edited by DarthDymond

There are four links to different articles (and the panel transcript) in my previous post. Just click on the text that is a bronze/brown color.

This is all old news that was challenged by fans to the point where their comment changed to "We are undecided or unsure" Since many old fans took offense so this news is glossed over by their new statement of "unsure"