Server Restarts - 12/14

TaitWatson

so much for those "SERVER UPGRADES" a few weeks ago....:rolleyes:

what a croc and complete waste of time. BW has become the joke of MMO's recently with 4.0/KOTFE release, companion issues, bugs since beta/launch, lack of communication, and lack of a proper public test center. just to name a few.

Well, my feeling is, seeing as they don't bother testing their own **** before rolling upgrades and expansions out to live servers. They may as well save the money and shut the test servers down. we all know they don't test their **** before hand. so why have the extra expenses?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the poster's quote had emotion in it. It's ok Mr. Spoke II, you don't have to always be in "logic mode!" Lighten up. ;)

I don't know who Mr. Spoke II is, but hey, I'll take it. Not sure why you're telling me to lighten up when the gist of my post was basically "I'm scared, but let's be optimistic about this!" though. :confused:

Mister Spoke the Second, an amazing piece of wood who fell from a single wheel and rose to become the champion of his discarded people....!

Really? Again? Without communication? I pay for a little entertainment after work and I get to wait hours each monday or tuesday lately.

And what's with the mission progress reset? The least you can do is communicate, so I have the time to round things up. Now I logged in half an hour ago and get the message, restart in 15 minutes.

I hope I don't have to go dig for droid parts and other crap like last time.

Also we here in Europe, a significant part of your subbers don't appreciate the patch/restart taking place at this hour. Can't you do this at other times, when there's no one playing?

Thank you Mr. Spock. The rest of us have emotions.

Your emotions about pixels are as substantial (in terms of how substantial emotions can be) as those pixels themselves are. If you let yourself get upset about something a trivial as a computer game, that's on you.

Really? Again? Without communication?

:confused:

Edited by branmakmuffin

Really? Again? Without communication? I pay for a little entertainment after work and I get to wait hours each monday or tuesday lately.

And what's with the mission progress reset? The least you can do is communicate, so I have the time to round things up. Now I logged in half an hour ago and get the message, restart in 15 minutes.

Also we here in Europe, a significant part of your subbers don't appreciate the patch/restart taking place at this hour. Can't you do this at other times, when there's no one playing?

Not gonna happen. When we sleep American servers are in full action. Its all linked together.

I don't know who Mr. Spoke II is, but hey, I'll take it. Not sure why you're telling me to lighten up when the gist of my post was basically "I'm scared, but let's be optimistic about this!" though. :confused:

Mister Spoke the Second, an amazing piece of wood who fell from a single wheel and rose to become the champion of his discarded people....!

Yes I spelled Mr. Spock wrong. Let's start a whole thread on it shall we? :)

Not gonna happen. When we sleep American servers are in full action. Its all linked together.

So? Why always during our playtime? Let the others wait once in a while. Also I do think it's perfectly possible to patch them seperate. Each server is it's own universe right?

The downtime is estimated to last 60 minutes.

I'm sorry, but when exactly will this 60 minutes be up? Because the timestamps in this forum suggest that it's in Switzerland someplace. It's just shy of 8:00 AM as I write this, not 5:00 PM as the timestamps suggest.

Does everyone see it this way, or is it just some preference setting I can fix?

Edited by Lednew

Your emotions about pixels are as substantial (in terms of how substantial emotions can be) as those pixels themselves are. If you let yourself get upset about something a trivial as a computer game, that's on you.

:confused:

So, players shouldn't be emotional about something they put time into, and some cases money (subs, cc)? Oh look they just rolled back 4 hours of everything I just did.... I feel nothing. Whew!

And, who said I was upset? I was quoting someone else about someone else. Doing great here. ;)

Isn't it about time for BioWare's two week Christmas vacation? At least this time they learned not to release their latest buggy code on us just before they all go out of town like last year. Or is the problem most of them left already? Write crappy code on top of more crappy code and you end up being a slave to your job.

I'm sorry, but when exactly will this 60 minutes be up? Because the timestamps in this forum suggest that it's in Switzerland someplace. It's just shy of 8:00 AM as I write this, not 5:00 PM as the timestamps suggest.

Does everyone see it this way, or is it just some preference setting I can fix?

Wish i knew how to change it as well, been way off kilter timewise for me for years :(

Hey everyone,

We will be taking down all servers shortly in order to address the issues seen on multiple servers over the weekend.

The downtime is estimated to last 60 minutes.

Thanks for your understanding!

The best way to do this would be to first announce it well in advance. Then, say exactly what you are addressing--"issues" doesn't tell your customers why your servers are down. Then do it.

The best way to do this would be to first announce it well in advance. Then, say exactly what you are addressing--"issues" doesn't tell your customers why your servers are down. Then do it.

If they are trying to fix an exploit, they are not going to give a lot of advance warning. It's a game, not a 24/7 mission-critical global business enterprise management system. How much warning do you need?

There isn't necessarily a good time for the servers to be down, there are always players on. But it's early morning in US and still not prime time in most of EU (5:00 pm in Germany right now). It means servers can be back up and stable for the start of most weekday group activities. And players can take a little more time for dinner before getting on the SWTOR grind.

Since I was on Harb when half my raid DC'd during SOA (and lost loot from that raid and an earlier one), I can appreciate BW taking steps to stabilize the servers and avoid having the same thing happen again this week. If it meant an hour out of my play time, I would be fine with that. Keep in mind, however, that BW is in the US and it makes sense to handle this maintenance when the majority of their staff are available should an issue arise. Keep Tait and Musco from having to post at 2 am on Saturday again.

Emotion's got nothing to do with it - the phrasing of the notification makes it sound like they are taking preventative measures, or are shutting the servers down to avoid the same problem happening again. Which is a good thing. Am I scared my server will be hit? Of course. But it's better to see them addressing the issue than just allowing it to happen.

You actually do manage to articulate one of the problems here:

"it sound like [sic] they are are taking preventative measures...". That's right, we haven't the foggiest what they are doing.

"But it's better to see them addressing the issue than just allowing it to happen."

What issue would that be? They haven't said what they are addressing.