4.03 dxgmms2.sys Blue Screen in win10

reverseclipse

Yeah, my guess would be grass rendering as well. I really notice it on worlds that have grass - Alderaan and Belsavis. I can usually tell when I'm going to crash as well because I use a second computer to monitor processes on my gaming rig and I can see the second swtor.exe process start to sky rocket in memory usage as soon as I get on a world with grass. Hoth and Nar Shadaa....no issues. Normally the second swtor.exe process sits between 500MB and 700MB of RAM. Use your mount or speeder on a grass world and that guy sky rockets to over 1GB of RAM usage in under a minute. At that point, a crash is imminent.

The nice thing is that sometimes it doesn't BSOD and the game just freezes. So I can use the second computer to kill swtor.exe and then I'm fine and just restart the game. But I will try lower the grass rendering. I know I did lower it a bit on an earlier troubleshooting pass and it seemed to help - not as frequent crashes. But I had also turned off my paging file in Windows 10 as well ( some other thread somewhere mentioned it). It has gotten better but now I'll turn grass rendering distance to 0. What I've been doing is when I notice the second swtor.exe process is over 1GB, I jump to my stronghold and back to planet which resets it back to about 600MB or RAM usage....it buys time and lets me slowly get around whatever planet I"m on.

Let's hope they fix this soon. I was unable to go back to the 348 driver - can't enable Surround SLI - wants to kill windows processes in order to enable SLI surround and those processes just restart as soon as I kill them. Managed it once and it just buggered everything up. So now I'm running the latest driver.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This here seems to fix the dxgmms2.sys BSOD for this title I had a few spots in game that I could get it to crash with this 100 percent of the time and after reinstalling the new drivers and making this adjustment in the graphics settings no more crashes. Thanks for pointing this out BG I'm running an SLI setup myself at least now we can look to which part of the programming is messing with the GPU virtual addressing in WDDM v2 as this is happening in both DX 9 and 11 titles and not just SWTOR.

My in game experience has jumped exponentially, Grass Quality to "0". As I said, I have had good luck with this setting, no longer am I about to put my fist through my monitor, lol.

I have had major success with it, but at lest we can enjoy SWTOR far longer than we could before the last lame win10 update.

I made a lot of tests on Taris and Belsavis

with the "grass=0" settings, and no more BSoD so far!

I think we have maybe the solution here

(until Microsoft/NVIDIA or whoever makes a real correction)

Glad to see it's just not me, another confirmed report. Grass "0"

....... I had a few spots in game that I could get it to crash with this 100 percent of the time and after reinstalling the new drivers and making this adjustment ...... .

What other adjustments have you made? We want our game back :cool:

Edited by BlueGlowie

What other adjustments have you made? We want our game back :cool:

Later on tonight when time permits I might break out some tools to fiddle with some of the advanced driver settings that can be only adjusted with things such as NVidia inspector etc. Since the only adjustment so far to make the game stable for most end users is the grass at 0 setting for now that should work for most.

One thing that concerns me in the NVidia advance settings for this game in the latest driver is a 0x704D456E flag in the undefined area which is stating "Some objects render at the wrong depth" which may be why we need to turn grass down to 0 to correct this bug and prevent the BSOD. With WDDM v2 being pushed out by MS in this last update to Win 10 I do think once the dust settles MS, NVidia and several other companies will get it right. It is a huge transition from DX9-11 to DX12 with WDDM v2 and bad timing not just in the gaming community but in other applications that use memory management as well.

I posted a response to revert to 347.88, but I wanted to know why. I have a GTX Titan, I figured hey, my card can handle the current build on Ultra settings, wrong ....

On Alderaan, I couldn't play no longer than five minutes, I was lucky if I made it to the next taxi point.

I did a little troubleshooting. Why was it on some worlds I could play for hours without a single problem, yet others I would crash and burn.

Grass.

Corellia, Tatooine, Hoth, not a single problem why? No Grass.

As soon as I set my graphics settings Grass Quality "0". Problem solved.

I am running the current 361.43 nVidia Drivers, Grass set to "0" and not a single crash since. This is two days of testing, this is not a guarantee, but the CONSTANT crashing are gone.

I have flagged this workaround and pointed to this thread on the AnswersHQ forum to be passed back to the studio as well in case it is something bioware should know about.

I have also placed the info about this problem in the known issues and current issues sticky here

Edited by OwenBrooks

I can also confirm this issue, had it 3 times since yesterday.

Iam now checking out the grass to 0 setting out...

Crash happend on Hoth and 2 times on Belsavis, on belsavis both times while using the transport system.

Edited by Cllawhammer

Same here, but only happens, if i use taxi on core worlds (the slow ones). I've tried Balmora and Alderaan so far and i got BSD using taxi there. For instance on Makeb its fine, since that taxi is more like quick travel.

Same here. Was on a Taxi and hit the blue screen. First time this PC has ever seen a blue screen.

Mine said this...

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgmms2.sys)

My system reported the information and did a restart.

Well I ran Voss and Belsavis today and not one crash...I even made sure to use taxis to gather all the quick travel points because I usually had the issues most while using the taxis. So for me, setting Grass Quality to 0 seems to do the trick. I must have played for 5 hours today (gotta love the holidays) and not one crash (BSOD) or application hang during my entire time played today.

Now let's hope either Microsoft or Nvidia fixes the underlying issue. Seeing as Windows 10 has been out for some time now I do find it hard to believe something like this has persisted this long. Here's to hoping...

Same here. Was on a Taxi and hit the blue screen. First time this PC has ever seen a blue screen.

Mine said this...

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgmms2.sys)

My system reported the information and did a restart.

No, i mean that i test it now with grass=0 since i did this setting no crash until now.

It's not just when you're on a transport. I got one on Voss when I was using my own speeder, but it only happened that once.

I just set grass=0 when I'm going to take a transport on grass-filled worlds, and that seems to do the trick. I don't leave it there because it's really ugly.

This seems to be happening with the latest TH2 update and NVidia drivers. In a nutshell a clean install to driver 347.88 Using DDU ( available on Guru3D dot com ) to clean your system of all the NVidia stuff and a fresh install of the 347.88 driver (available on NVidia's site) will get you going until MS and NVidia can get the DX12 stuff to play nice again. What is happening is dxgmms2 is tossing a VIDMM_CPU_HOST_APERTURE::UnmapRange+0x3a error out which is what is causing the Blue Screen for most systems that are getting it. For the technical minded or anyone who wants to see the partial dump, here it is.

Problem solved, 4 days without blue screen.

Thanks Helidoc

I have this problem absent any blue screen (BSOD). It's just a hard freeze where the computer locks up and I'm forced to do a hard boot. This has happened on taxi's on Alderaan and also on my own speeders on Alderaan and Belsavis--those seem to be the major offending locations. It has been a continuing problem for me for a couple months now.

Edit: It often happens I've noticed with the map open. Nvidia 760GTX on Win 10 64bit.

Edited by Khartu

Grass "0" > DXGMMS2.SYS

RP: As a Jedi Guardian it is my duty to protect the Republic and guard those that seek the light.

OOC: In a nutshell, you're welcome.

All it took was a little rolling up the sleeves, once I got this error, I was determined to narrow it down. I could care less about codes, 0x00?!??!?! errors, that's beyond me. I'm a why what when guy..

and what do you know.......

I have flagged this workaround and pointed to this thread on the AnswersHQ forum to be passed back to the studio as well in case it is something bioware should know about.

I have also placed the info about this problem in the known issues and current issues sticky here

Thanks OwenBrooks, maybe we can get this fixed in the next update or two, after all, this is a "AAA" game, :sy_inventory: