Ten Things I've Learned Playing MMOs For Fifteen Years (not a rant)

DWRoelands

After logging many hours in Anarchy Online, Earth & Beyond, EVE Online, Dark Age of Camelot, The Matrix Online, City of Heroes, DC Universe, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and a few others, here are the things I've learned. Reminding myself of these things helps me to stay content while playing the games I love...

1. Different people play for different reasons.

2. People will hate the things you love.

3. People will love the things you hate.

4. You can't convince people to change their minds about #2 or #3.

5. The forums for any MMO are mostly populated by people who are unhappy (some reasonably so, some not).

6. Never spend time in an MMO doing something that you don't want to do (e.g. don't tank because your guild needs a tank - tank because you LOVE tanking).

7. There is nothing wrong with playing an MMO completely solo, if you have fun doing it.

8. Hide or leave your game's "General Chat" channel forever and never look back.

9. If you join a guild, join a guild with people like you (hardcore raider, parent with interruptions, filthy casual, etc.)

10. Games are entertainment; if you're not having fun - stop playing.

I'd be interested to hear the things you've learned. Speak up!

Nailed it!

6. Never spend time in an MMO doing something that you don't want to do (e.g. don't tank because your guild needs a tank - tank because you LOVE tanking).

A caveat to this: "But give the various different parts of an MMO an honest try, before you decide whether or not you like them."

It is very easy for many MMO players to get intimidated by the prospect of trying something different from the solo-centric questing experience. Whether it's because of the trash-talk you see in PVP matches, the pressure that comes with holding down a specific role in a Raid, the learning curve for other side content, etc., etc., etc., a lot of people decide they 'don't like' something that they never tried beyond a single attempt (if that).

But one of the nice things about MMOs is that they offer you access to a whole host of different types of gameplay and content. I've found that giving those various options an honest try (not calling it quits the first time I failed horribly at it - which absolutely will happen), I've gotten a much broader, richer game for my money.

Sure there are some things that at the end of the attempt, I come to the conclusion "nope" (hello, Crafting), but I've also found plenty of things that I didn't expect to enjoy that it turns out I really do (Healing, PVP, Stronghold decorating).

Edited by DarthDymond

After logging many hours in Anarchy Online, Earth & Beyond, EVE Online, Dark Age of Camelot, The Matrix Online, City of Heroes, DC Universe, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and a few others, here are the things I've learned. Reminding myself of these things helps me to stay content while playing the games I love...

5. The forums for any MMO are mostly populated by people who are unhappy (some reasonably so, some not).

7. There is nothing wrong with playing an MMO completely solo, if you have fun doing it.

8. Hide or leave your game's "General Chat" channel forever and never look back.

9. If you join a guild, join a guild with people like you (hardcore raider, parent with interruptions, filthy casual, etc.)

1-4 are the same, and the end of 5 contradicts 1-4, if you think someone's complaint is unreasonable, you probably enjoy different things about the game as they do and are looking at it from a different perspective than them.

7 isn't correct. MMO's are multiplayer games and are not designed around single player, (except for SWTOR post 4.0), so you'll have a much more enjoyable experience playing one of the thousands of single player games designed around single player. While you can drive a nail with a wrench, you should get a hammer if it's something you plan to do frequently. The real problem however is when so many people start driving nails with wrenches that the tool makers start putting hammer heads on them. Actually, that would never happen because tool makers are smart enough to know that you don't hamper a tool's performance at it's given purpose in order to do two things poorly. They might make multi-tool for convenience and emergencies, but putting a hammer head on a wrench would ruin it for people who actually want and need a wrench. Too bad MMO makers haven't figured that out yet.

Over all, pretty standard boilerplate advice that not only applies to just about anything, but doesn't really amount to much more than, "If you don't like headaches you shouldn't pound your head against the wall." I know it was most likely posted in earnest by someone genuinely wanting to help the community so I wouldn't have said anything if it weren't for that single player bit. It's a fact that the developers turned this MMO into a single player game because, and I quote, "forums, reddit, social media, talking to people at cantinas, literally if there's a way to get feedback from people... we got it." "There was one overwhelmingly thing that stuck out, which was story." They put a hammer head on this wrench because they talked to some people who use wrenches to drive nails.

1-4 are the same, and the end of 5 contradicts 1-4, if you think someone's complaint is unreasonable, you probably enjoy different things about the game as they do and are looking at it from a different perspective than them.

7 isn't correct. MMO's are multiplayer games and are not designed around single player, (except for SWTOR post 4.0), so you'll have a much more enjoyable experience playing one of the thousands of single player games designed around single player. While you can drive a nail with a wrench, you should get a hammer if it's something you plan to do frequently. The real problem however is when so many people start driving nails with wrenches that the tool makers start putting hammer heads on them. Actually, that would never happen because tool makers are smart enough to know that you don't hamper a tool's performance at it's given purpose in order to do two things poorly. They might make multi-tool for convenience and emergencies, but putting a hammer head on a wrench would ruin it for people who actually want and need a wrench. Too bad MMO makers haven't figured that out yet.

Over all, pretty standard boilerplate advice that not only applies to just about anything, but doesn't really amount to much more than, "If you don't like headaches you shouldn't pound your head against the wall." I know it was most likely posted in earnest by someone genuinely wanting to help the community so I wouldn't have said anything if it weren't for that single player bit. It's a fact that the developers turned this MMO into a single player game because, and I quote, "forums, reddit, social media, talking to people at cantinas, literally if there's a way to get feedback from people... we got it." "There was one overwhelmingly thing that stuck out, which was story." They put a hammer head on this wrench because they talked to some people who use wrenches to drive nails.

# 7 is quite correct. Soloing in an mmo is a very different experience from playing a single player game. Something people have enjoyed doing since the dawn of MMOs.

11. Devs don't owe you, personally, anything. If you like their output, play; if you don't, don't. (And no, I'm not a dev. I'm just someone mystified by the plethora of cries of betrayal on game forums, not just this one :D ) Edited by nagada

Good list OP :)

I'll also add that no matter what you post on the forum you'll get at least one detractor that will go to great lengths to be pedantic and state the opposite :)

Below is a fine example ;)

Oh, and 7 is just fine. I've been subbed since launch and have never ran an OP or taken part in ranked PvP. I have fun levelling up alts through the story. 4.0 made no difference to SWTORs overall design it's always had a strong solo game experience straight out of the box.

I too have learned that games where the dev team keeps their focus, and does not get wishy washy on their decisions, do tend to be more successful over the long run.

Edited by Holocron

An MMO does not in anyway preclude playing solo - it just means there's many people playing in the same environment. That having to play with others in an MMO simply because there's the word "multiplayer" is just one take on it, and is not the definition. The people in the MMO are playing the same game, but aren't obligated to be doing the very same activity for the game to be an MMO, nor does having to be in a group, a requirement of being an MMO.

If there was some sort of necessity to group up for a game to be an MMO, there would be a 'G' stuffed in somwhere in "MMO". Playing an MMO solo is not akin to using a wrench to hammer a nail. It's akin to using a hammer that you simply aren't used to seeing. People need to widen their horizons some more.

Very good list.

In many MMOs the main job of the community manager isn't to give information to the community, but to keep them from revolting when once again, there aren't any good news on the horizon.

Hmm. I think you and the OP are talking at cross-purposes here. Sure, you *start* tanking to help out your guild, but if you continue, it should be because you like doing it. They aren't, as you say, obliged to provide entertainment, but playing with them shouldn't devolve into a continuous stream of painful experiences because you discover that you don't like tanking. In that way, this item ties in with number 10, Don't do it if it isn't fun.

Steve I would counter, and I have seen this play out true for 25 years now, that if you are one of those that ONLY engages in guild activities that directly benefit yourself

You will quickly find yourself left out of guild activities

When you join a guild you have to understand that you join for everyone and not just yourself

Otherwise do not join because if you think you can only take take take and never give.

You might get away with it short term but people will catch on and you will be left on outside wondering why no one ever wants to play with you or invite you along.

I will admit its gotten much worse in last decade with the selfish attitude of many players

And maybe for them those advertised over general chat guilds a good fit

But when I think of guilds I think of community with in a community

And you can not just take from any community for long

Sometimes we all have to make sacrafices for the greater good

Gaming no different

I hate SWTOR PVP,

Seriously its the worst PVP I have ever seen in 25 years, bar none

Absolute Garbage

Yet I have four different characters over Valor 70 and 7 over valor 50 because over the last number of years guildmates needed help or partner so I bit the bullet and joined a night here, a night there

because I knew somewhere down the road I also would need help in something and people would be much more willing to help.

And those that do not

Well they usually end up sitting in a chat channel alone wondering why no one wants to play with them anymore (or they moved on because they were not being included in ops groups and everything)

Sorry but in this regard gaming no different then Life

You have to give to receive

So saying you will only do something you enjoy (IE Beneficial to yourself) is completely wrong headed and honestly rather selfish.

Its more of the (what I call) GIMME GIMME GIMME mentality that has infected modern day MMORPGs

And is not at all helpful in any manner or way.

PS: When I say you, its a generalized term not meaning you specifically

Edited by Kalfear

Actually, this is a rant, of sorts. One that I agree with 100% :) I've personally engaged in both 7 and 8, and enjoyed the benefits thereof.

I hate SWTOR PVP,

Absolute Garbage

Yet I have four different characters over Valor 70 and 7 over valor 50 because over the last number of years guildmates needed help or partner so I bit the bullet and joined a night here, a night there

That doesn't make you a helpful guild member, that makes you the guy that everyone likes to use for their own purpose. This doesn't have anything to do with only taking and never giving. Many people actually like to help others, so they do so with activities they don't loathe, so they are still helpful in the guild and liked by their guildmates.

This has to do with not letting the game dictate what you do with your time, including time you don't want to spend with the game. When I don't feel like playing a certain MMO, I don't log into it, simple as that. I've always let my guildmates know that I play this way and that I'm also not signing up for raids because of that and never had complaints. On the contrary instead of not getting included in guild activities, people actually welcome when you're online and do participate.

The only downside that I must admit it has is, that in cases when you're absent for very long, it can happen that you come back to find your guild has gone inactive meanwhile, but that's the way of MMOs, guilds come and go. So far I've only witnessed one guild (of which I myself and two rl friends were about one third of the founders) survive for over 10 years and it still keeps going.

Edited by trueKieran

Nice post that I agree with having played many of the same games you have.

^^^

This... Very well said. I really like #4 and #6. Some people love their opinions and refuse to bend.

Steve I would counter, and I have seen this play out true for 25 years now, that if you are one of those that ONLY engages in guild activities that directly benefit yourself

You will quickly find yourself left out of guild activities

When you join a guild you have to understand that you join for everyone and not just yourself

Otherwise do not join because if you think you can only take take take and never give.

You might get away with it short term but people will catch on and you will be left on outside wondering why no one ever wants to play with you or invite you along.

I will admit its gotten much worse in last decade with the selfish attitude of many players

And maybe for them those advertised over general chat guilds a good fit

But when I think of guilds I think of community with in a community

And you can not just take from any community for long

Sometimes we all have to make sacrafices for the greater good

Gaming no different

I hate SWTOR PVP,

Absolute Garbage

because I knew somewhere down the road I also would need help in something and people would be much more willing to help.

And those that do not

Well they usually end up sitting in a chat channel alone wondering why no one wants to play with them anymore (or they moved on because they were not being included in ops groups and everything)

Sorry but in this regard gaming no different then Life

You have to give to receive

So saying you will only do something you enjoy (IE Beneficial to yourself) is completely wrong headed and honestly rather selfish.

Its more of the (what I call) GIMME GIMME GIMME mentality that has infected modern day MMORPGs

And is not at all helpful in any manner or way.

PS: When I say you, its a generalized term not meaning you specifically

Spoiler tag to keep the text around but manageably small.

I didn't say that you have to do only those things that benefit you / that you like, merely that it is unreasonable to expect me to do only things I don't like, once I discover that I don't like them. To invert your line: "Otherwise do not join because if you think you can only take take take and never give." becomes "Otherwise do not join because if you think you can only give give give and never take." It's just as valid a criticism of people's expectations.

I should not have to exclusively suffer through experiences I don't like. I don't fancy the idea of being in a guild, and discovering that because I tanked once, they keep coming back, "Hey Kylath(1), we need you to tank for us in EV!" every day, even though they know I hate it. That's find-another-guiild territory.

(1) If they did ask Kylath to be a tank, they would be Doing It Wrong, because she's a Gunnery Commando. (Either they should be asking an actual tank class, or they are so crap that a DPS-specced DPS/Heal class is the best tank they have...) And I would hate it if they expected Kylath to tank for them every danmed day.