Server populations dropping drastically since patch

Notsureyet

Not sure if its because of the slow download so people gave up logging in, the companion nerf, or perhaps something else but all servers are showing as light load for most of the day except prime time, this wasn't the case before patch. I check TorStatus as well and average activity has dropped dramatically, especially on Harbinger with almost half its daily% of activity dropped.

Whats going on?

Edited by Notsureyet

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really OP cause my rep and Imp guild participations at a 2 year high right now

care to show us your research into this matter that verify the server pop decrease?

I know from my own experience the pop ncreased when 4.0 dropped but with in a week started to see that bleed off at a alarming rate as guildies and friends unsubbed until the next content came out.

as (and I quote) "Great Story but to easy and fast to get through. Now I'm all done so will come back for a week when the next content is released"

I suspect your server number claims, caused by most recent patch in your opinion, more wishful thinking then any substancial or real senario

PS: I play on Harbinger so please stop with the incorrect claims about pop.

Weds /Thursday pop (day and night) has always been low on Harbinger for some weird reason and thats nothing new

Edited by Kalfear

Well you can definitely see smaller periods of standard population on that graph along all servers. Beregian Colony is the most obvious about it. That being said, this being in regards to the patch contents can't be substantiated. It could be any number of reasons, including people having had issues patching and not wanting to deal with it until the weekend.

Harbinger was at 2.65 before patch, I know because i was choosing between it and Ebon Hawk, with Harbinger having over twice as many as the 2nd most populated, Shadowlands. its a dramatic drop no matter how you look at it.

It is no dramatic drop, it is a slow and steady decline .

http://www.torstatus.net/the-harbinger/history/7d#!/the-harbinger/history/30d

Well, one could argue that a starting population drop one week after release is dramatic.

Reasons are problably: 1. Story gets old fast 2. Nothing really new besides story.

Edited by Neglience

You can't use Torstatus as an acurate measure of server population. They track the 5 server status groups (light, standard, heavy, very heavy, full) not the count of players online. I also want to point out that with 4.0.1 BioWare added blades to most of the servers that were hitting full so the status message would naturaly go down as there is now more capacity.

It's like trying to put a cup of watter into a 1 cup measure vs a gallon jug. One will be full the other would be mostly empty but both would still be a cup.

As far as I know the only group that can speak with authority on SWTOR's numbers is BioWare.

I see a decline. I do not see a dramatic one.

I also concede that, though it is likely there are quite a few folks that are upset with the changes, perhaps even a majority of the playerbase, there is no way to conclusively indicate whether or not this or ANY recent decline for that matter is related.

Only time will tell.

You can't use Torstatus as an acurate measure of server population. They track the 5 server status groups (light, standard, heavy, very heavy, full) not the count of players online. I also want to point out that with 4.0.1 BioWare added blades to most of the servers that were hitting full so the status message would naturaly go down as there is now more capacity.

It's like trying to put a cup of watter into a 1 cup measure vs a gallon jug. One will be full the other would be mostly empty but both would still be a cup.

As far as I know the only group that can speak with authority on SWTOR's numbers is BioWare.

Nobody is claiming it's 100% accurate, but it's the best tool we have. There's no doubt there's a significant downward trend at the moment.

Nobody is claiming it's 100% accurate, but it's the best tool we have. There's no doubt there's a significant downward trend at the moment.

Tux, we both have been around long enough to know that the last 3 weeks were artificially inflated with the transitional players coming back for early release, KOTFE and the Rakghoul event. Combine that with the patch distribution problem this week and the server volumes being changed on paper it may look worse than it really is. To accurately speak to a server population drop I would think looking at fleet at the same time each day for 3 weeks and taking a count on the number of instances and the number of people then comparing day to day.

I don't deny that 3 weeks in the voracious content eaters have taken their fill and have gone but they are not part of the standard base. I just think people need to slow down and not over react without factoring in all of the variables.

Tux, we both have been around long enough to know that the last 3 weeks were artificially inflated with the transitional players coming back for early release, KOTFE and the Rakghoul event. Combine that with the patch distribution problem this week and the server volumes being changed on paper it may look worse than it really is. To accurately speak to a server population drop I would think looking at fleet at the same time each day for 3 weeks and taking a count on the number of instances and the number of people then comparing day to day.

I don't deny that 3 weeks in the voracious content eaters have taken their fill and have gone but they are not part of the standard base. I just think people need to slow down and not over react without factoring in all of the variables.

I don't think anyone is overreacting...I think players have tried the new nerf and they dislike it. Believe it or not, some people just want to have "fun" in game...I do. I enjoy my challenges too, but that's why I PvP and do Ops...the grindy Heroics just don't seem fun to me any longer...I can do them, but I don't find it enjoyable. No amount of time will pass where I will...it's just like crafting now to me, I just won't do it.

Again, it's not that I think everything was fine before, anyone being honest needs to concede that the healing was rather OP...but the nerf they got, was far too much.

I don't think anyone is overreacting...I think players have tried the new nerf and they dislike it. Believe it or not, some people just want to have "fun" in game...I do. I enjoy my challenges too, but that's why I PvP and do Ops...the grindy Heroics just don't seem fun to me any longer...I can do them, but I don't find it enjoyable. No amount of time will pass where I will...it's just like crafting now to me, I just won't do it.

Again, it's not that I think everything was fine before, anyone being honest needs to concede that the healing was rather OP...but the nerf they got, was far too much.

I agree that the heroics are not fun. To be fair they haven't been fun since my second run through the game. It didn't matter if I had a god companion or not. For the casual player they had a way in the past to fix the "solo" side of doing heroics. It was called over leveling. They still got the reward but maybe not the xp but this is a tangent (one I'd be more than happy to continue without hijacking this thread).

My main point is that the last 4 weeks have all had some event that would skew perceived populations and that a tool that uses subjective ratings that had the variables changed in the middle of the range being measured is as good as not having a tool at all.

Just saw Corellia 8 and Alderaan 19 population on my middle population server.

Would have been at least double this at the same time prior to the nerf. The tough guy posters seem focused on max level. But there have been a lot of people leveling new toons since 4.0. I think now a lot of them are hitting the wall of no-fun and just not playing.

I agree that the heroics are not fun. To be fair they haven't been fun since my second run through the game. It didn't matter if I had a god companion or not. For the casual player they had a way in the past to fix the "solo" side of doing heroics. It was called over leveling. They still got the reward but maybe not the xp but this is a tangent (one I'd be more than happy to continue without hijacking this thread).

My main point is that the last 4 weeks have all had some event that would skew perceived populations and that a tool that uses subjective ratings that had the variables changed in the middle of the range being measured is as good as not having a tool at all.

I understand...I was just saying that it's the only thing we have, and generally, it can be used as a semi-reliable gauge. It'll more accurately reflect this nerf in a week once a decent trend begins to be established with whatever the new server variables are.

Not sure if its because of the slow download so people gave up logging in, the companion nerf, or perhaps something else but all servers are showing as light load for most of the day except prime time, this wasn't the case before patch. I check TorStatus as well and average activity has dropped dramatically, especially on Harbinger with almost half its daily% of activity dropped.

Whats going on?

they've been dropping consistently since Oct 27.

maybe it has something to do with this "expansion" having a 5hr quest and no new repeatable content. people played the story, then left. if you thought anything else would happen, i'm not sure what to tell ya.

I understand...I was just saying that it's the only thing we have, and generally, it can be used as a semi-reliable gauge. It'll more accurately reflect this nerf in a week once a decent trend begins to be established with whatever the new server variables are.

Agreed, we still need more time for trends to form with server sizes being adjusted.

they've been dropping consistently since Oct 27.

maybe it has something to do with this "expansion" having a 5hr quest and no new repeatable content. people played the story, then left. if you thought anything else would happen, i'm not sure what to tell ya.

It is hard to say that with authority and this is the core of my point with using torstatus. It does not take the max number of people able to be accommodated by each server into account when plotting data. For example durring the first week of KOTFE Harbinger never dropped below heavy status with peak times being full. Week 2 of KOTFE they added blades to the server to adjust for the extra people so from there on out the srever got no higher than heavy. The issue is if you have half a 2 liter of coke and half a 20oz of coke and both are being reported as half and not by the volume your volume count will be off.

Well you can definitely see smaller periods of standard population on that graph along all servers. Beregian Colony is the most obvious about it. That being said, this being in regards to the patch contents can't be substantiated. It could be any number of reasons, including people having had issues patching and not wanting to deal with it until the weekend.

Actually according to torstatus Harbinger has been the hardest hit, by a significant margin. Just look at the numbers from before patch and compare them to today.

The issue is if you have half a 2 liter of coke and half a 20oz of coke and both are being reported as half and not by the volume your volume count will be off.
excellent point, but we have such limited data...i mean we are looking at these arbitrary and dynamic "light standard, full" labels but it's the best we can do.

Actually according to torstatus Harbinger has been the hardest hit, by a significant margin. Just look at the numbers from before patch and compare them to today.

Harbinger has been the hardest hit because it was the highest populated server. Every other server has been hit at the exact time of the patch. Begeren didn't even rise above Light for an hour during peak time.

This patch is a disaster. I've never seen player response like this. People are leaving in droves. My guild frequently had 10 people in the daytime before the patch, now there are 2-3 people on.

I've unsubbed too because I was sold a pack of lies. Casual gaming my ***. This is the worst slog ever. BW needs to rollback the patch, apologize, and I'll re-sub.

Harbinger has been the hardest hit because it was the highest populated server. Every other server has been hit at the exact time of the patch. Begeren didn't even rise above Light for an hour during peak time.

This patch is a disaster. I've never seen player response like this. People are leaving in droves. My guild frequently had 10 people in the daytime before the patch, now there are 2-3 people on.

I've unsubbed too because I was sold a pack of lies. Casual gaming my ***. This is the worst slog ever. BW needs to rollback the patch, apologize, and I'll re-sub.

If that happens at all, it wont be until after the holidays with the storyline update....thats the word around the campfire. That's a long wait.

I haven't had any competition for heroic mobs today even from imp bots lol Normally I have to wait until night (live in NZ) to get my weekly heroics done without fuss.

If that happens at all, it wont be until after the holidays with the storyline update....thats the word around the campfire. That's a long wait.

It is a long wait and I'm starting to get bored as it is. I want to pick up Fallout 4 but I know once I start on that I'll be lost for ages.

Edited by Avalyssia

umm i guess people on here don't realize 2 major games have recently been released that would take away from this game temporarily

Battlefront

Fallout 4

use some common sense people aren't leaving the game because of this patch it's because of those 2 games the good thing they will come right back as console games only seem to hold people's interest for a couple weeks at best

I've noticed a decline on Harbinger for sure, as I'm always looking at the number of instances of any map I go into, including the fleet. Before 4.0 and right after it, you'd usually see 3-4 full instances of the Republic fleet (I can only imagine the Empire side). However, at the same time I keep getting guild membership applications and last night saw three instances of Typhon with 130+ players each.

Have people left? Sure, but I don't think it's only Bioware's fault. People tend to forget that there are many things capturing one's attention right now: Fallout 4, Halo 5, Tomb Raider, and Star Wars Battlefront. Rainbox 6, Assassin's Creed, and Just Cause are right around the corner. It's a great time to be a gamer, and it's hard to focus all of your attention on just one game.

I'm not trying to defend or lesson the impact of Bioware's stumbles, because if you look at my post history (original beta player and launch player) I will gladly criticize this organization. I just want to point out that there is more to the story than "Bioware messed up again".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.