Why did you nerfed companions

Sewerus

There's no point in playing an mmo if you're going to avoid the multiplayer content.

I really can't stand "solo" players. Heck, there are players in my guild that barely do anything with us, we're mostly there to facilitate their needs as solo players. I like them, at least they utilize the system properly instead of whining for a general everything nerf. Some of us still enjoy the mmo aspects of playing an mmo.

Play and let play.

And after reading some comments in general discussion it's totally understandable why some players prefer playing solo.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not forced to pay the sub. In fact you are not forced to play the game at all. Please stop talking nonsense. You play the game because it is your choice just how participating in solo or group style of play is a choice.

...Have you guys ever played as F2P?

In the genre of gaming, challenge and competition is[/] the root of fun. To have fun in a sport means competition. To have fun in Chess means competition.

Honestly, if a game is not challenging, then it should not be called a game.

That's YOUR opinion! What is fun for me, for you, or for anyone else around here wont always match up.

Example I like to go to the shooting range once a week and put holes in targets I find that fun While my sister hates shooting guns and prefers crafting as she find it fun.

...Have you guys ever played as F2P?

YES I HAVE and I will NEVER do it AGAIN!!

Edited by Anaesha

In the genre of gaming, challenge and competition is[/] the root of fun. To have fun in a sport means competition. To have fun in Chess means competition.

Honestly, if a game is not challenging, then it should not be called a game.

Browser games are no challenge and still they give lots of fun. Why? Because they are casual. I can log in, do whatever is fun to me, and log off. Same here - MMOs are a magnet for the casual gamer these days, if they feel it's not easy they will leave.

I sure as hell don't want to spend my evenings wiping on something - I want to take my companion and wreck some havoc on solo flashpoints or heroics. I won't be able to do that now I'm afraid (can't even check it out, stupid launcher :( ).

Idiotic statement ... MMO is a Massive Multi-player Online game and NOT a Massive GROUP-player Online game (that would be a MGO).

The issue is : SWTOR is the mix of a (quite bad past the initial questlines, to be frank) solo RPG with group PvP/PvE play bolt-on, with almost no "epic" encounter and absolutely stupid time/money sinks. There's little MMO in SWTOR, and flashpoints show how bad a solo RPG is with multiple players.

There's no point in playing an mmo if you're going to avoid the multiplayer content.

I really can't stand "solo" players. Heck, there are players in my guild that barely do anything with us, we're mostly there to facilitate their needs as solo players. I like them, at least they utilize the system properly instead of whining for a general everything nerf. Some of us still enjoy the mmo aspects of playing an mmo.

Let me explain something to you - you may wish to sit down ...

... the MAJORITY of MMO players are Solo players!

The most Solo friendly mmo on this planet is called World of Warcraft ... guess which mmo has THE most subs of any other mmo in history? Let me give you a Hint - I already gave you the answer within this paragraph.

If an MMO wishes to prosper - it MUST cater to their Majority audience - you want the old historic mmo's that required you to have to team before you could even leave town? Want the old mmo's that when you died all your stuff was left on the ground for other players to loot? Want the old mmo's where when you died you lost xp & ultimately un-levelled ... where you kept hold of your old gear because you might suddenly find you need it again ... you want to make mmo's such a challenge that they become more 'Work' than your actual work?

Well, they died a loooong time ago - I played mmo's through that period - they were NOT fun, they were more a Rite of Passage ... mmo players were a niche community in a dying genre ...

MMO's managed to become 'mainstream' because some bright spark realised the potential of SOLO players. Remove the Solo player and you have a dead, or soon to be dead, mmo. It is the 'Groupers' that are the minority & most of you know this - which is why you keep whinning at the Dev's to make Forced Grouping ... but what you are really asking for is that the Dev's start the death throes for their mmo.

Maybe you should start one of those crowd funds to make an mmo specifically for Grouping, that Forces Grouping ... I know many others have tried & failed ... maybe you'll be the one to succeed? :p

I played Aika for years and I was able to do everything solo and it got even easier when they added lvl scaling to dungeons, I''ve also played Cabal and many other MMOs where I didn't have to talk to or group with people if I chose not to even Wow you don't have to group with people except for raiding..

I don't understand why people are arguing against me. I do want this to be a single player game because you can solo such more. Thus I want it to cost like a single player game. Right now, you're paying extra for content that you're not going to be experiencing.

And there's no way that I would pay a subscription just because I enjoy the visual of people roaming around. There are single player sandbox games I can play instead.

Edited by zhandao

Some of us still enjoy rotary phones and newspapers too.

Doesn't it just suck to get old and for everything you thought was so important to just not matter at all anymore?

I'm sorry for how harsh this sounds, but that's playing with toys. It's not playing a game. Games require there to be some challenge, some learning, some resistance or they cease being games and instead become toys.

I know some folks would like that. The would have no problem with the game being easy enough that they can play with their characters like they are action figures. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, but that's not what this product is intended to be.

Great reply!

Thank you BW for making the change...

So so so much jumping to conclusions. I feel like I'm reading a version of Office Space and living the jump to conclusions mat game idea.

So many people cried about the level sync and the level sync is hardly noticeable.

So many people are crying about companions being nerfed, and that will without a doubt not be as heavily felt as people are making it out to be.

But, everyone please continue on because since we're all stuck on the outside looking in I need some sort of entertaining medium to distract me from the last few remaining things I have to do today. I have like a third a bowl of pop corn left. Keep it coming!

The whole level sync is hardly noticeable? It's completely out of wack and a hard nerf cap! No matter gear, etc.

The moment you are level sync, gear practically doesn't matter and stims no longer work!

As example, when I was level 62, I had (as Jedi Guardian in defense stance) +/- base 1500-2000 melee damage and about 47% damage reduction.

The moment I hit level 63, I was level synced back to level 62 and my damage was nerfed down to 800-1200 and damage reduction at 34% !! And this is with green armor plates and blue mods/enchancements.

That is pretty drastic and harsh!

Slotting better mods and using stimpacks made ZERO difference. It's a hard cap!! Unlike they promised it would be and how gear would still affect your stats somewhat.

At least when I am synced back to a sertain level, I at least expect my stat values to be close to what they used to be at that level! Not 30-40% lower!!!

Edited by Jeronas

Let me explain something to you - you may wish to sit down ...

... the MAJORITY of MMO players are Solo players!

I would also like to add, I play pub side on a PvP server, if this game forced grouping it would essentially be unplayable for me, even though my preferred content is group content. Some of us aren't solo players by choice, but by necessity.

I'd love to get groups, but I'd die of boredom if I was forced to wait for a group to do stuff like heroics or flashpoints.

No, this the common definition for games. Or do games get released without the chance to fail nowadays ? I doubt that. Well, maybe some barbie games :)

Actually the common definition of game is an amusement or pastime, there's no part of it that implies a chance to fail, those are defined as subsets of games, ie games of chance, competitive games, challenging games, etc.

I would also like to add, I play pub side on a PvP server, if this game forced grouping it would essentially be unplayable for me, even though my preferred content is group content. Some of us aren't solo players by choice, but by necessity.

I'd love to get groups, but I'd die of boredom if I was forced to wait for a group to do stuff like heroics or flashpoints.

This is why people have "friends". ;)

No, this the common definition for games. Or do games get released without the chance to fail nowadays ? I doubt that. Well, maybe some barbie games :)

I am convinced that some posters here crawl out of the woodwork just to incite trouble. Oh yeah, you are one of them.

The common definition for a game is FUN and ENTERTAINMENT. It is NOT primarily defined as a challenge.

Umm the common definition of game is entertainment. Now your idea of entertainment could be getting kicked in balls repeatdly but i am sure that is not how everyone feels.

SWTOR and grind ? If this game has any grind, then it did come with KOTFE.

You're delusional and don't know what you're talking about.

One of the largest things that drove players away the first few months of the game release was the grind the game had. It took way too long to kill any mob with a silver let along gold border around its portrait, especially if they were located in any kind of instance.

RPGs are already ridiculous with how many times you have to hit something before it dies (hint: in real life, it just takes one successful blow). So when it takes 5+ minutes to kill one guy after hitting him over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again with the exact same three-six button presses... it kind of got old fast.

While it still existed at end-game when doing some of the harder content, it was much better than it was before KotFE. Now people -- the ones who aren't delusional, mind you -- are worried it's going to go back to how it was. Which, despite your faulty opinion (and opinions can most definitely be faulty if not outright wrong), was not fun. Especially not after having to repeat the same repetitive act (as in, moving on to the next mob/boss) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Which, you know, is what people mean when they say "grindy."

Edited by NeuroticCupcake

The whole level sync is hardly noticeable? It's completely out of wack and a hard nerf cap! No matter gear, etc.

The moment you are level sync, gear practically doesn't matter and stims no longer work!

As example, when I was level 62, I had (as Jedi Guardian in defense stance) +/- base 1500-2000 melee damage and about 47% damage reduction.

The moment I hit level 63, I was level synced back to level 62 and my damage was nerfed down to 800-1200 and damage reduction at 34% !! And this is with green armor plates and blue mods/enchancements.

That is pretty drastic and harsh!

Slotting better mods and using stimpacks made ZERO difference. It's a hard cap!! Unlike they promised it would be and how gear would still affect your stats somewhat.

At least when I am synced back to a sertain level, I at least expect my stat values to be close to what they used to be at that level! Not 30-40% lower!!!

And to those numbers my reaction is "so what" mainly because when I go back and do my heroic 2s for the week I still roflstomp everything. So I need to put a slow release med pack on myself after clearing a few mobs. Big deal. When I'm playing the character that I'm taking my time to level I still hardly see anything coming at me that would make me go "oh man this level sync is the worst". It's hardly noticeable while playing. I guess my only wish would be that anyone having serious problems playing with the level sync could experience the game the way I do.

So let me see if I understand this properly...

The patch to nerf companions and slow the leveling process (all fights will now take longer) broke the game so we are stuck in extended maintenance. Once we finally get back in the experience will be more frustrating since companions will be less effective and it will take you longer to get through the fights and see the story. Huh...

Too bad this all happened. I hope it works out for them in the long run.

I really can't stand "solo" players.

Excuse me. But SWTOR is not just an MMO. In fact, I've spent very little time doing "group missions" and I've been playing since launch.

What attracts people to this game is that it is STAR WARS and it's a sequel of sorts to a very popular SINGLE PLAYER game called Knights of the Old Republic. You've heard of it, right?

Story is a huge focal point in this game and having to group up every time you want to play through it can be extremely tedious and give you more trouble than it's worth. YOU may be a *~Hardcore Gamer~* or whatever, but more times than not, grouping up is a freakin nightmare. People quitting in the middle of flashpoints, people queuing up in group finder under the incorrect role... And then there's the wonderful bullying of casual players who may not be so great with their character or they're a little under geared.

So playing solo is a dream come true for most of us who are subscribed and want to experience the more attractive aspects of the game without having to be told off by some foul-mouthed 14 year-old.