Accents in SWTOR (asking you british players!)

Eoshadow

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Bryn <3 only Welsh imperial I've found in game so far.

Vector Hyllus' voice actor (Ifan Meredith) is actually Welsh, although I can only hear the faintest trace of it in a few of his lines.

Bertie Carvel (male IA) was in an episode of Sherlock. It was weird seeing him as a normal person. :confused:

In German-language SWTOR, there of course aren't British accents, because ... well ... the game is fully spoken in German language. :D

Howver, they kind of "emulated" the British accent by giving those NPCs who carry one an rather "elevated" and / or "upper-class" - like sound / accent.

The Republic's ship droid uses this as well - which makes him sound more into the direction of C-3PO, in my opinion ... He doesn't sound at all like the English-language Republic ship droid ...

From bad to very bad to unrealistic.

To be fair its not the voice actors fault. Most people around the world assume this is what English people sound like so voice actors are told to sound like that. So even the British actors are putting on a fake British accent because they are told to.

You also have to remember that even though England is a very small country accents change wildly from area to area. So much so that I who live is Stourbridge sound very different to those who live in Dudley which is less that 10 miles away. In-fact those from Brierley Hill which is just over 1 mile away talk different to us and use slang words we don't. All the voice actors try to speak with a upper cut British accent which is never used out side the elite and even then only when they are tiring to impress.

If you want to know how true British sound try watching British made programs. Not films but everything else, as films again tend to change accents slightly for the world market.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

In German-language SWTOR, there of course aren't British accents, because ... well ... the game is fully spoken in German language. :D

Howver, they kind of "emulated" the British accent by giving those NPCs who carry one an rather "elevated" and / or "upper-class" - like sound / accent.

The Republic's ship droid uses this as well - which makes him sound more into the direction of C-3PO, in my opinion ... He doesn't sound at all like the English-language Republic ship droid ...

I always wondered what the German version would be like. Maybe I will switch the soundfiles someday. However, no matter which accent, I hope they got the translations right. When watching American shows in German sometimes they make the biggest blunders in getting the jokes/references/context correctly. :D

Well I play on all the severs including the French and German and its in English, so no idea what that guys on about. In-fact other than general chat you would not even know you were on them.

I also play on a German server with English sounds/voices. That's not a mystery or anything. Just download the different sound files and voila or rather bitte schoen :-)

Vector Hyllus' voice actor (Ifan Meredith) is actually Welsh, although I can only hear the faintest trace of it in a few of his lines.

Bertie Carvel (male IA) was in an episode of Sherlock. It was weird seeing him as a normal person. :confused:

Huh, I didn't know that! Thanks the for pointer. I never paid much attention to him, to be honest. I'll keep an ear out next time.

Marr, Zash, and Thana Vesh have accents that drive me mad every time I hear them. They're so close to perfect but there's something just a little off with their vowels that I find very jarring. It's like the uncanny valley of British accents.

And one of the guys who gives a daily on Yavin 4 always makes me laugh with his bad semi-Scouse mixed with fake cockney/Aussie :D

Edited to add that the Welsh guy on the bridge in DK ranting about ergonomic chairs is my favourite NPC VA in the entire game.

Edited by nagada

I don't understand the accents in that family anyway. Children pick up the accents they grow up around, yet somehow, they all seems to have different accents, it's odd.

My sister, about two years my junior, has a deep Texas drawl. My own speech is fairly neutral. Our parents are from Indiana and Michigan. She was far more social growing up than I, so picked up on the cadence and inflections of typical Texan speech more.

Tl;dr: siblings don't necessarily sound alike.

And one of the guys who gives a daily on Yavin 4 always makes me laugh with his bad semi-Scouse mixed with fake cockney/Aussie :D

YA MOIGHT WATCH YA PAYCE! SPEED ATTRACTS THA WOILD LOIFE!

My favourite Yavin quest-giver : D

Edited by masterceil

I don't understand the accents in that family anyway. Children pick up the accents they grow up around, yet somehow, they all seems to have different accents, it's odd.

Not necessarily... My mom sounds extremely "proper" in her speech and inflections. (She was born and raised in eastern Arkansas) My dad has a strong Mississippi accent. Me.....I'm straight Orange Mound Memphis TN. :cool:

This is a very enlightening thread tho...lol :D

Don't mind the fake accents, hear enough of them in the movies for it to be relatively normal.

As for Zakuul, that depends on what you believe to be the origins of the British accent. In the original trilogy, given a lack of other context the assumption was it was the accent of the core worlds, but the prequels mixed it up quite a bit.

But I think the general idea remains, the older worlds, whether they are from Republic or Imperial space, has British accents, and the newer worlds have American accents (or other languages).

SWTOR doesn't really follow that though. Either way, I think Zakuul is more likely to be American than British, simply because SWTOR is very specific about where the British accent comes from (DK and core Imperial worlds).

As a Brit with a "posh" or "proper" British accent, i find it rather easy to hear whether the accent is put on or not, just a few slips of the tongue and american pronunciation of certain words. Some of the characters mentioned surprised me though, just shows the talent possessed :) I'm not sure whether to be flattered or offended that the bane of the galaxy and evil sith happen to have British accents, flattered i guess :wea_15:

Side note, why does Arcann have an American/mid-atlantic accent

What is Zakuul's accent? For whatever reason, I pictured them being all mid-atlantic before I heard any voice over.

Probably built up their forces and finances being beltway bandits before heading into space to conquer the galaxy 'n ****.

I never thought Darth Marr sounded particular British. More like a standard, easy, articulate American. And I believe that at least the VA for the classes are either British or American. I don't think they fake those. :cool: Granted a few NPC sound like stage accents, either way.

But what do I know, being a bloody foreigner myself. :mon_trap:

I agree. I never thought Marr was even trying for a British accent. He sounds more like a mid-western American with a deep voice to me.

I'm not British - I'm Irish and I thought we had escaped the awful "Oirsh" accent of Sean Connery's Darby O'Gilll & the Little People and Tom Cruise in Far & Away here in SWTOR but there is an NPC voice on a character in a side mission on Voss with the most awful "Oirish" accent ever. Well, second place to Tom Cruise obviously.

Will it ever stop happening!?

I am curious as to what the British players think of some of the various British accents played by American Voice Actors. They seem like stage accents to me, which while not always authentic is not necessarily a bad thing for Americans (Scotty anyone?)

Darth Marr

Valkorian

Former Minister of Intelligence (his accent went almost totally American in SoR)

Others...

Side note, why does Arcann have an American/mid-atlantic accent, his sister has a full accent, Valkorian is somewhere between, and their mother, is mostly American with some slight accent mixed in.

And can anybody identify Senya's accent? American VO, but seems like she runs the ends of words together sometimes.

What is Zakuul's accent? For whatever reason, I pictured them being all mid-atlantic before I heard any voice over.

In my own opinion, the British accents are fine, I know some people who fuss over British accents in games, those people think that all games who plan to have a British accent should hire a British voice actor, but if American's try they can sometimes pull off a convincing British accent, but the best people who can do it are British people ourselves. Oh and Senya's accents kind of sounds like a mixture of British/American.

I'm not British - I'm Irish and I thought we had escaped the awful "Oirsh" accent of Sean Connery's Darby O'Gilll & the Little People and Tom Cruise in Far & Away here in SWTOR but there is an NPC voice on a character in a side mission on Voss with the most awful "Oirish" accent ever. Well, second place to Tom Cruise obviously.

Will it ever stop happening!?

Not on yer life good sir! Why weeel be 'avin t'is accent for many a more years ta come! Now, where'd I put me potatas? Ah, tha's right, it be next to me whisky. Now, where'd I put me whisky?

Not on yer life good sir! Why weeel be 'avin t'is accent for many a more years ta come! Now, where'd I put me potatas? Ah, tha's right, it be next to me whisky. Now, where'd I put me whisky?

Oh you mean this whiskey? The one I found?